Christmas Ale 2008 - Sly Fox Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: sholland119 on 12-11-2008

3.85/5  rDev n/a

Got a pint of this from Maia Restaurant in Villanova, PA.

A: Pours a deep, red/amber body with a small, off-white head with ok retention and some lacing.

S: A sweet, malty smell with hints of ginger and some orange zest.

T: A roasted toffee, malty taste with some slight ginger notes that were pretty complimenting.

M: A medium-bodied and pretty crisp mouthfeel that was pretty nice on the palette.

D: A nice mouthfeel and taste combination. A fairly good Christmas beer with some interesting spices. (505 characters)

3.95/5  rDev n/a

A- pours a chesnut color with a little head
S- Houston, we have spices! cinnamon, nutmeg, a little orange spice, a little clove
T- smooth overall, the aroma is evident during the first few sips, refreshing with just the right amount of carbonation
M- creamy but not overly malty
D- I really dug it and will reach for this again

never really dove into Xmas beers before, but this year it has been pretty enjoyable for me (420 characters)

4.2/5  rDev n/a

On tap at Teresa's Next Door.

A-A hazy amber brown with a thin, creamy white head. Nice retention and lacing.

S-Very nice. Caramel malt and fall/winter spices.

T-A very nice surprise. Spices right up front and all the way through, in a really nice balance with each other and with the malt. I am not usually a big fan of spiced beers but this one gets it just right. Nutmeg, cinnamon with a hint of clove. I have seen beers described as "pumpkin pie in a glass" but this is the first time I've tasted it. Maybe that's not how they want their Christmas Ale described, exactly, but I mean it as a high compliment.

D-Two would probably be my limit as there's only so much spice I can take in my beer. But I'd enjoy them both.

HV (740 characters)

Christmas Ale 2008 from Sly Fox Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.