Phoenix Pale Ale - Sly Fox Brewing Company

Sly Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 09-13-2002

A bold American Pale Ale brewed with Pale and Crystal malts and hopped with Centennial and Cascade hops from the Pacific Northwest. Copper in color, medium-bodied and spicy.
4.8/5  rDev +27%

After a rather long stint in Iraq and Afghanistan and many visits to beeradvocate, my list of must tries is quite long. The Sly Fox Phoenix Pale Ale was no dissapointment. It poured a crisp copper color. The aroma was that of nicely balanced hops (pine, citrus and floral). The taste was clean at the start with a very plesant finish. The mouthfeel was perfect. Smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. If I can stay stocked, this one that will be a constant in my frig. Loved it!!

4.77/5  rDev +26.2%

12 oz. can poured into a pint glass.

A-Copper color and very little head(due to how I poured it),semi visible color.

S-Grapefruit and a smell I cant put my nose on.(pine mabey)?

T-Grapefruit and other citrus taste's.Malt,I think the malt keeps the hops from overpowering the taste.Its a very Neutral taste.

M-Great mouthful,exploding flavors in your mouth that attack your palate but in a good way.But not to the point where they both overpower.

D-God made this pale especially for me! I think this is the best pale ale I ever had in my life.There isnt one bad thing about this beer.I could drink this all day and probaly be plastered by the night.We all have a weekness,Kudo's to SLYFOX for this one.

4.67/5  rDev +23.5%

Appearance: poured into a glass. A finger or two of head, and a nice deep amber color.

Smell: a pleasant combination of hops, barley, and malt. Generally pleasing.

Taste: Delicious. Maybe it's due to the mood I'm in, or maybe to perfect serving conditions, or simply just fine craftsmanship. A hop presence, balanced out superbly by grain flavor. Couldn't imagine a better pale ale flavor for the mood I'm in.

Mouthfeel: not an overly heavy beer, and has nice carbonation.

overall: i'm glad I have more.

4.62/5  rDev +22.2%

A: Pours a nice bright yellow orange with a nice head. Good lacing also.

S: Nice lite hop aroma with a little citrus coming through. Very faint malty aroma. The smell doesn't say much for good tasting beer IMO.

T: Very up front hops taste and bitterness. Some citrus in there as well. Dam this is a tasty beer. Not too hoppy and not too bitter. Just right.

This is one tasty beer. This was my first beer from Sly Fox. I hope the rest of their beers taste as good as this one does.

4.57/5  rDev +20.9%

Since Sly Fox has made it to Jersey all I tried was the 113 IPA which was pretty good. When I saw a sixer of this sitting in cans I thought oh hell yeah I gotta pick this up.

12 ounce can with some awesome artwork poured into a shaker pint glass.

A - Nice looking beer. A reddish tinted amber with a lasting bubbly head that fills out the glass. Bubbles rush to the top. Some nice lacing rings the pint.

S - A nice bit of citrusy hops along with a sweet malt smell of fresh baked bread and some fruitiness.

T - A very nice APA. Great balance is struck between some hoppy tones and the malt. The can lists the beer as 40 IBUs and it seems a perfect fit with the sweet malt. The beer finishes with some hop bitterness but the sweet fruity malt flavors peek through.

M - Slick on the tongue with the right amount of carbonation for a beer with this flavor profile.

D - Excellent. Truly a great session beer at 5.1% and enough of an interesting flavor to keep fans of APAs sipping away. I'm stealing a sentiment I read in another review and calling this THE beach beer. A great APA with a lot of flavor packed in cans, awesome. This may become one of my new go-to session beers for sure.

4.52/5  rDev +19.6%

My hook-ups at Sly Fox know of my can passion and have been hooking me up. Keep 'em coming!

My pour produced two fingers' worth of thick, ecru head exploding with CO2 bubbles. The color was a deep amber with good clarity. The nose was grassy, definitely hoppy, and definitely welcome after a long day at work. The mouthfeel was medium to full with a sweet, tea like taste on the tongue. The finish was grassy and lingering. Man, was this good. If only I had a few more cans ...

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Beautiful color to it deep ruby caramel garnett, with a light khaki tan head forming thick. Fine speckled lacing forms unevenly but sticks around well. Aromatics offer up a nice pine and citrus combo with a bready caramel malt profile going on. Flavor is nice balanced between caramel drizzled dessert bread sweetness and reserved but bitter hop flavors including pince citrus and a mild tame earthiness. More hops in the finish of the flavor than the nose or the forefront of flavor. Mouthfeel is medium to lighter bodied drinking session APA, carbonation is soft and works well. I love the can presentation and this beer just arriving back into Pittsburgh has been so fresh and affordable for my craft brew budget.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Have only had this on tap. Clean and crisp - always refreshing! You also can't beat the fantastic price of a growler at the brewery. Just $8. What a bargain!

4.49/5  rDev +18.8%

brewed lower than what the profile says at 5.1%. got this in a trade from Exiled.

A- pale yellow to amber, typical APA coloring and head.

S- pine, citrus, and mellow hop bitterness. the nose is tangy enough to keep you interested but mellow enough where you know this will be a session beer.

T- one of the best tasting examples of an APA i've had! this is exactly what i'm looking for in an APA (which i feel should always be a session brew). Mild hop bitterness, same citrus and pine notes from the nose with a refreshing polish.

M- perfect level of carbonation and thickness for the style and flavors.

O- this is a great session beer. one that can be enjoyed on a hot summer day, at a bbq, and with a hearty meal. with such a low abv, this beer could easily be drank all day long.

4.48/5  rDev +18.5%

A- 1/4-1/2" light tan head. Bit cloudy orange body.
S- Big citrus aroma with a nice malt back bone. Bit of orange and grapefruit comes out too.
T- Big nice citrus hop flavor comes through first shortly followed by the bitterness. Malts come through next. Grapefruit and orange flavor. Nice bitterness in aftertaste. The lingering flavors of the grapefruit and bit of malt flavor makes up the aftertaste with the bitterness coming out most.
M- Medium body. Light to medium carbonation.
D- This is probably the best Pale Ale I have had. It also comes from a can :O! When I first took a sip I was amazed. I would love to be able to get more of these. I think this could be that perfect easy drinking refreshing beer after a hard day at work.

4.48/5  rDev +18.5%

Sorry, I cannot recall who sent this to me. Thanks though. It is a rare occasion when I drink a canned beer. Pours with huge head, and decent lacing. Aroma of crisp pale malts, light hops.

This is a great tasting, malty, pale ale, with the right amount of hops for balance. I wish this were available in Indianapolis, it would be great for a tailgate or other outdoor event.

Reviewed and scored verbatim from notes.

4.47/5  rDev +18.3%

Thanks to DarkerTheBetter for this one.

Pour produces a one finger, frothy, eggshell head. A beautiful golden-copper, apple juice colored body.

Smells of fresh hops, but it's not as strong as a West Coast Pale. You know the smells - citrus, pine, grapefruit, apricot, etc. Yum.

Sweet crystal malts, mellow hops. The English malts and American hops work in brilliant balance. This is the most balanced APA I've ever tasted.

Thin and crisp. A quencher.

This is the definition of a session pale. Mouthwatering aromas, extremely balanced, and thirst quenching. Very recommended.

4.45/5  rDev +17.7%

Now THIS is a special beer.
What....beer in a can?
Yep, great CRAFT beer in a can.
Pours a pretty golden orange with a small white head that melts rather quickly to a thin ring of lace.
Aroma is pretty typical pale ale...pale malts with a bit of citrus although I also catch a hint of caramel.
Taste it and everything changes. The citrus hops immediately come to the forefront with the pale malts fighting to catch up. They finally do as you swallow and your tongue is treated to a wonderfully fresh balance between the two.
Mouth is comfortably dry afterwards, however not exceedingly so.
You thirst feels quenched.
If they didn't taste so good, you could probably get by with just one, but damn....
Pop me another, please.
Thanks Blitheringidiot for bringing this one to California to share.

4.45/5  rDev +17.7%

Appearance: Orange / gold in color with a nice 1" inch head that produced some light lacing.

Smell: the aroma was very floral and some malt was also detectable.

Taste: the flavor is nice as the huge malt base is balanced with a strong floral hoppiness. Some citrus tones linger in the background, but they definitely round out the flavor.

Mouthfeel: smooth but it has a very nice strong bitter finish. This was medium bodied.

Drinkability: a very flavorful and hoppier than normal pale ale that is the ultimate in drinkability. Must have if on tap.

4.43/5  rDev +17.2%

Another CAN from woodychandler. Will it prove that CANs are the wave of the future? I CANnot tell yet.

A - Beautiful pour! Beautiful clear red/amber with a finger of head that stuck to the glass all the way down. Impressive!

S - Excellently well balanced smell of malt and hops. Smell is a sweet and slightly fruity malt but right at the end of a deep inhale, the hops sneak in and make me want to take a sip.

T - Very well balanced pale ale. Strong malt backbone that glides down the throat with some caramel and some dried fruit and nuts. Then a moderate kick of pine/citrus hops kicks in and leaves a tingle on the tongue.

M/D - I could easily drink this all day. The mouthfeel is about perfect, not at all thin but nor do I feel like I'm drinking something chokingly thick. Perfect session beer, shame I can't get it locally.

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

Gold in color with a touch of amber hue. Thin white head and fine white lace on the pint glass. Caramel malt taste is upfront followed by a smack of hop bitterness. Quite chewy in the mouth. Very balenced brew with a dry hop flower finish. Very drinkable and I enjoyed the "fullness of flavor". The chewy caramel malt flavor is harnessed by a sturdy hop backbone. Nice.

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

Two Words: Sierra Nevada. This nice brew from the folks at sly fox is a dark gold, or light amber colour with a nice cap of white foam. The aromas are of zesty citrus hops (cascades?), and a light biscuity maltiness. The taste is of spicy pacnw hops up front, and some light biscuity malts in the middle. The finish is slightly dry, and begs you to take another sip of this brew. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly yeasty and the drinkability is damn good. It's funny this beer has recieved so many lower reviews, from people who gave SNPA higher reviews!

Overall: The perfect brewpub SNPA clone!

4.4/5  rDev +16.4%

Surprisingly my favorite beer there as I am not much of a Pale Ale fan most of the time. Poured a rich amber in color with a white lacy head that followed the beer down the glass. Head retention was quite good. Sweet malt and fruity, citrus dominate the nose. Not surprisingly, these aromas continue in the mouth. Sweet malt was a little more pronounced in flavor than aroma, but was well balanced by a nice hop bitterness and citrusy flavors. Overall a pretty good brew that I ended up going home with in a growler.

4.39/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Received from Dino in our most recent trade! Poured from can to pint glass the beer arrives a murky ruby mahogany with a nice 2 finger white head, nice retention though not a lot of lacing. A nice crisp fruity nose with citrus, pear, apples and dark fruit character. Unique and nice. Mild caramel malt hint. The flavor is very much the same. The hops provide a nice fruity character as found in the nose with again a nice base caramel. Finishes crisp with a lingering mild bitter fruity sweetness. Lighter end of medium bodied. Overall, this is really enjoyable. Would gladly reach for another if I could!

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

Got this as part of a 2 dollar deal at a local bar.

The pour was great slight dark amber color with a head that faded quickly but left some nice thin lacing.

I would drink this again on the price alone but the taste was great! For a 2 dollar beer most wouldnt expect the quality in the product but it was there!

Thick taste bonded with crisp citrus hoppiness that blended into a sweet taste that finished slightly dry.

4.32/5  rDev +14.3%

Craft beer in a can? Wha?

I was skeptical at first, but it only took one sip to let my guard down.

It pours a lightly carbonated amber with a big frothy head that dissipates into a thin blanket, with good lacing.

The smell is of those characteristic american citrusy, spicy hops, and a faint malty background.

The taste is great. I can only imagine how this beer would be out of a bottle, but I can't see it having the same fresh-hop flavor and aroma. It's 40 IBUs go a long way, with just enough malt to keep it even keeled.

The mouthfeel is slick and smooth, which leads to its incredible drinkability.

I have to say that this is the best APA I've had in a while. It would be unfair to compare it to a cask conditioned version, but I think this beer would hold its own.

4.29/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very clear with amber colored tones. The head was a perfect big fluffy two fingers that slowly receded to a nice foamy covering. The foam produced some of the best lacing I've seen. I was shocked that a beer that looked this good could come from a can. I have totally changed my opinion of beer from a can.
Smell: Pale malts and and a clean hop aroma. Some citrus hints were barely noticeable.
Taste: The hops were much more flavorful than my nose had detected. The aftertaste had a mild grassy flavor and just slightly bitter, but oh so good. There was also more citrus and orange flavor than my nose had detected. The pale malts were nicely balanced with the hops.
Mouthfeel: Crispy with a light to medium mouthfeel.
Drinkability: A good beer at an affordable price. Oh yeah, I can see drinking this beer again.

4.28/5  rDev +13.2%

This beer came a dark honey brown with a big dimpled white head.

Smelled of soapy hops and fresh cut grass with only the slightest bit of caramel beneath it.

The only thing that I’ve ever tasted that was more hoppy that this beer is actual dry hop flowers. Wow. Tastes like dirty, garden fresh and earthy hops with a huge vegetable matter and orange-rind hoppiness to it that blew my mind. This was supported by a slight honey and bread malt that was far off in the background compared to this hop onslaught.

The mouth feel was light bodied with lots of medium bubbles that seem to agitate the fantastic fresh hops.

This was like drinking a big hop salad. I must say, I was impressed that this beer could be so flavorful with out being overly dry. This is absolutely mandatory if you dig hops.

4.26/5  rDev +12.7%

This is a great pale ale. Poured from 12 oz. Can into a pint glass

A - cloudy mahogany color, with a meaty head. Small bit of lacing.

S - fruity, a sweet pear nectar scent, also a bit of raisiny plum.

T - as it smells, mild but present in hops. Citrusy. Not boozy or offensive, a plethora a fruits that mildly linger on the pallette.

M - as a pale ale should be. Slightly carbonated, hits a range of areas on the palette.

D - very drinkable, my favorite pale I've tried yet. The hops hang around in your throat for a while, but I would slug numerous amounts of this beer any day.

4.26/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A light amber colored ale, it is dead clear with a nice brightness and shiny hue. Has what might be described as between a rocky and frothy head. Beautiful color and clarity.

Smell is arborous, musty, with hints of grapefruit and lemon. Small caramel base of malt once it opens. Overall, a bit faint on the nose but well done.

Full-flavored, yes! Just a crisp and lovely pale ale replete of hop flavor as grapefruit, lemon, and floral flavors balance each other. Hop oils wash around the rough, woody body that has some caramel and roast malt underneath the lupulin deluge. Opens to show the same sense of dry chocolate oil as Sierra Nevada Celebration. Full-bodied for an ordinary pale - cheers to the hops!

This beer has the full array of fresh hop brashness found in a Sierra Nevada Celebration or Pale Ale. If you look at O'Reillys recipe you'll notice that it is, in fact, eerily similar to Sierra's recipes. Regardless, not a mere rip-off, it seems more full bodied and flavored with not too much bitterness. The definition of solid and drinkable, I was fiending for more once the growler was empty - the hops will do that to ya.

Phoenix Pale Ale from Sly Fox Brewing Company