Citra Pale Ale - Sly Fox Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Sly Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: warriorsoul on 10-03-2010)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

warriorsoul

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

Another single hop varietal Pale Ale from the folks at Sly Fox (Phoenixville location).
Enjoyed a pint at lunch today and decided to bring a growler home...$8.50 for the fill (w/ empty in tow).
Pours a clear copper color w/ a miniscule head....lacing non-existant, nothing like the pint I had just a couple hours ago..a shame really. The pint at the pub had gorgeous lacing w/ a 1/2 finger of head that went nowhere.
Huge hop presence in the nose w/ a hint of caramel and toasty malt.
Flavor is excellent...nothing like a citrus-y hop to beef up the flavor of a Pale Ale, especially from the folks at Sly Fox, who tend to offer up IPA's on the maltier side of the spectrum.
Mouthfeel is decent, but that lack of carbonation from this growler (filled not 2 hours ago) is affecting the feel and overall drinkability. That one I had on draft today? I could have enjoyed that version at the pub all afternoon. What went wrong w/ this growler fill? I have no clue really...perhaps they did not use that brand new auto-filling growler unit. God, I hope not....I need some excuse why what I am drinking is nothing like what I savored at lunch.

10-03-2010 21:37:17 | More by warriorsoul
Kadonny

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%

I was lucky enough to snag one of these kegs for home from Exton Beverage. Keg is less than 2 weeks old.

Poured from tap into my Sierra Nevada etched tulip glass.

A: Surprising. I expected a much paler color, but it comes out with a medium to light copper color that is fairly clear. A thin half finger head was gotten from the fresh pour. Stickly glass lacing was left after each sip. Nice.

S: Damn, what a great fresh citric and grassy hop smell. Wow, just floods of lemon, grapefruit, fresh cut grass with some slight biscuit malt. Fresh, fresh fresh!

T: Follow the nose. The fresh citrus flavors on this beer just pop out at you. I love this new hop. Huge flavors of grapefruit and lemon citrus with some huge grassy flavors. Some biscuit malt holds the hops together but make no bones about it, this beer is about the hops. The hops stay on for the finish to make it slightly bitter but so crisp and clean at the finish. Terrific. This is one hell of a pale ale and is very different than their Phoenix Pale Ale. Less malt and more hops is what this beer is about.

M: Not full but not trying to be. Very crisp and clean as I said before. Medium bitterness and of course no alcohol notes.

D: Do I need to go here? This beer is so drinkable it's crazy. With the 5% abv too, you can enjoy a few. Enjoy them I did.

Overall I can't get over how terrific this beer it. It just screams freshness. Crisp, clean, flavorful, drinkable, awesome. Sly Fox, this is an awesome APA and for sure is in my top 3 for PAs. Very well done, please keep it in the rotation.

10-18-2010 13:32:01 | More by Kadonny
Citra Pale Ale from Sly Fox Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.