Royal Weisse - Sly Fox Brewing Company

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 11-26-2002

to view more.
Ratings: 167 | Reviews: 91
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very nice wheat beer. A nice example of a Hefe.

3.56/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into a pint glass, the beer was a hazy orange color with little to no head.

Pleasant aroma. Banana and citrus. Some sweet malt, and a little wheat.

Taste a little more muted. Banana and orange. Wheat.

A sweet, malt forward beer.

Pleasant enough, not great. A session beer.

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Best american wiesse I've had better than most Germans to my taste. Fresh. And in cans (best by 7/20/14).

A: A cloudy dark golden yellow apricot. Sports a finger tall creamy dense white head that slowly reduces to a thin film with moderate lace.

S: Nice aromas (to style of) banana and clove, with some orange citrus.

T: Follows the smell, with estery banana and clove flavors. Plus orange citrus and wheat.

M: Tingly, medium bodied, bright. Creamy.

O: Loved it. Recommend for summer.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Definitely a sweet aroma on this. Good amount of banana found on the nose with a hint of citrus. A delicious smelling hefeweizen.

The taste doesn't let down. It's one of the more fruity, banana forward hefe's I can recall drinking. For me this is a positive. I love that. Cloves are also present in the passenger seat. Just a hint of citrus and wheat comes along for the ride, but in the end this is a fairly sweet beer. Also, carbonation seems to be pretty high in this one. Just an observation.

I did a taster at Sly Fox, and this is one of the two beers I bought to take back with me. I think it's their best I have tasted. Top notch!

3.94/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: First hefeweizen out of a can for me. Poured a bright straw yellow with about a finger coaxed out of it. Foam had big white bubbles that faded fast. Thick cloudiness and medium light carbonation.

S: Big sweet banana smells. Spice or coriander and nutmeg. Big yeastiness. White bread and crackers.

T: Starts off very bready with bread yeast. Fruity pineapple sweetness rounds out the wheat. Finishes zesty and tangy with orange, spice and saltiness. A whole lot of tang at the end with coriander and an herbal basil sort of flavor. More wild yeast funk follows up.

M: Big and viscous. Lots of mouth coating unfiltered particles. Finishes tangy which really cleanses most of the big yeast and heavy bread notes.

O: This is a great hefe. I really like the how big and bold the flavors are, yet without overpowering and leaving a heavy feeling at the end. It's all about the finish with this one.

3.76/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Unfiltered, this beer pours to a cloudy golden hue with a frothy head of white- colored foam. A good whiff reveals scents of wheat, herbs, spice, cloves, and banana peel. A positive impression greets the senses long before taking the first sip.

Tasting this beer continues the positive vibes. Flavors of wheat, yeast, clove, honey, and some dough form the backbone of the flavor. Bitterness is low, at least based on IBU, and other fruit flavors like orange and lemon become more noticeable with each drink.

This is a tasty hefeweizen overall with some good complexity and interesting nose and flavor. I wasn’t so sure with my first can, if I really liked this beer as much as I should, but my second can quickly won me over. The herbs, spice, fruit, yeast, etc., make this beer an enjoyable one and keep you guessing. It’s definitely a beer worth trying of you get the chance.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Ba Review #278
Served On: 07/17/2013
Glassware: Weizen Glass
Labeled ABV: 5.6%
Date/ Code: 7/14/13

This was a 24 pack case of 12oz cans I grabbed from Brewskee's of New Oxford.

Look: Poured a hazy yellowish color with some deeper gold tinges toward the center. Head was a 1-finger of spongy white foam, reduced to a thin film within seconds. Carbonation level was decent with a steady flow of bubbles rising upwards. Had some lacing, but not much.

Smell: Sweet banana with some tropical mango. Also some bubble gum.

Taste: First up was banana with a crisp carbonation bite up the tongue. The middle was some pineapple and more banana. Not much in the way of clove in this brew, no complaints here though. The finish was fairly clean with hints of the tropical notes returning along with a slight bitterness. The aftertaste was similar to what one would have after eating a banana.

This was a very enjoyable Hefeweizen. The lack of clove seemed to enhance the drinkability. Perfect beer for a 90 degree summer day out in the sun. I approve!

3.43/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Slyfox, a brewery in my own state and one who I think puts out a solid lineup for the price.

A- Cloudy orangish yellow with a puffy, rocky 2 finger head.

S- Clove, light Banana, and wheaty biscuit.

T- Refreshing and clean, with the yeasty esters and wheat malts playing nicely with each other.

M- Thick for the style, but not too terrible.

Overall, worth picking up a sixer.

3.74/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - A finger's worth of tightly packed perfectly level slgihtly off-white colored head... Minimal retention gives way to nothing mroe than a slight collar and and splotchy veil of lacing... The color is an extremely pale bronze... There is a slight haziness... A moderate bit of carbonation that starts a bit sluggish before ending briskly...

S - Slightly over ripened bananas... Light cloves... Pleasant wheat base... Orange zest... A hint of bubble gum... A hint of tobacco...

T - All the flavors from the aroma materialize on the palate, but are a bit more muddled... The clove and bubble gum take a bit more priority... The banana takes a bit of a back seat... Some candied sugars as well...

M - On the lighter side of medium bodied... Light but brisk carbonation... A bit sticky... The finish is slightly hard to place, but its a bit off putting...

D - A solid and respectable hefeweizen from the fine folks at Sly Fox... An outstanding aroma and just a slight notch above average in all other facets... Tasty enough that I'll have no trouble finishing off the six pack I invested in...

4.22/5  rDev +9%

Dirty, dull orange in color and very murky. Poured with a short white foam that quickly dissipated. Sweet banana and wheat malt aromas with a hint of spice. On the thicker side of medium bodied with a chewy middle. Sweet banana and yeast flavors up front that transition to a bitter hoppiness in the middle. Hop flavorsv open the door to a pleasant spicyness that intensifies to the end. A touch of citrus hop bitterness closes out the spicyness at the end and this slowly transitions back to a ripe sweet banana flavor.

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

A: The beer is slightly hazy yellow in color and has a moderate to high amount of visible carbonation. It poured from a can into a weizen glass with a finger high white head that quickly died down and left a thin layer of bubbles on the surface.
S: There are moderately strong aromas of wheat and bubble gum in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and also has some hints of clove towards the finish.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is a very good representation of the style, has great drinkability and is rather refreshing.

A: Pours a cloudy dark golden yellow to orange in color. The beer has a finger tall creamy dense white head that slowly reduces to a thin film covering the entire surface of the beer with a couple of slightly thicker patches and a thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of banana and clove, exactly what I would expect from the style. There are some lighter notes of orange citrus.

T: Like the smell, the taste is also dominated by the banana and clove flavors. There is some more subtle hints of orange citrus and wheat.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Creamy.

O: This beer is enjoyable, easy to drink, and quite sessionable. This could become a regular in the summer beer rotation - especially since it comes in cans and they can go anywhere (even to the pool).

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Had on tap at Whole Foods in Glen Mills PA. Review from notes.

A: Pours a hazy light yellow color with a small white head on top. Medium retention, slowly reducing to a thin cap on top. Minimal lacing.

S: Lots of wheat, some yeast, and a good bit of banana. There is some light pepper and coriander as well.

T: Similar to the aroma with a good bit of banana and some doughy malt. More spice from the yeast as well.

M: Light to medium body with bubble carbonation. Drinks easy.

O: A pretty good hefe. If it were readily available where I lived I could see myself keeping it in the fridge.

3.21/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a hazy golden amber with a thick creamy white head. The nose is a little messy and has lots of banana. It is a bit sweet and fruity with little else. The taste is singular, hints of clove and yeast underneath a dominant banana and lemon type hefeweizen flavor with a light bitterness in the back. The body is soft and creamy, lower carbonation for a hefe but a clean crisp finish. This is easy to drink and full of flavor, very simple and lacks the carbonation and spicy balance of a great hefe.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

bright yellow color coming through right away. A very hazy and cloudy look to this one I have to admit, as I was waiting to find some sediment, but none came forward. Nice three inches of white then topped out over the glass and settled down lightly into a nice little pillow of white, which was reinforced but lots of carbonation.

The aroma was light and very pleasing. Nice touches of grain, light wheat and a touch of a banana like aroma all coming through rather nicely. Some almost light grass like hops bouncing around in there as well. The flavor was very crisp, very clean with a well rounded profile that was very pleasing. Nice light rush of grass and grain, light bready malts and a touch of banana again coming through quite cleanly

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

On tap at Bar Americain midtown Manhattan.

Poured a nice hazy yellow/orange with 1.5" head. Nicely laced as I drank.

Decent nose, banana and clove noticeable but not pronounced.

Muted flavors, however, limited this hefe for me. Alcohol bite at the end not expected (and not welcomed, really).

In the end, this is an average hefe at best.

3.6/5  rDev -7%

Dark orange/tan color, very cloudy with a 2 fingers thick head. The foam leaves a nice lace after a few minutes. The aroma has a very classic yeasty banana character with a touch of spice. Looks and smells like it should be a very traditional Hefe.

The taste seems somewhat dull up front, with the banana and citrus flavors very muted. I just get a sort of tangy maltiness with an astringent finish which isn't too appealing. The carbonation is sharp, but it is also very fine, not creamy enough for the style.

There isn't much to say about this beer, it's a very average Hefe: drinkable, but not impressive.

3.62/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm the worst kind of wussy East Coast liberal, so I always feel slightly rednecky with canned beer. I will attempt to overcome my awful prejudices with this review. I snagged two of these at the goat races a couple weeks ago, after they ran out of stuffed goats and I had to use up the tickets I bought. My brother stole one and reviewed it under the other listing.

Popped a 12 oz. can and poured it into a pint glass. Huge white head, so tall, it took two pours to get the entire can in. Cloudy honey color with thick, almost lumpy lacing. Part of me thinks I'm better than this, but I do my best to subdue that asshole.

Got a nose full of bananas and honey, with a tiny bit of malt and mild citrus hops. As if waking from a dream, I'm suddenly aware of the compulsion to put Toby Keith on the stereo. Odd.

The taste is very fruity, with lots of banana and maybe some Asian pear. Slightly spicy, maybe clove or nutmeg. The hops are mild and slightly citric, as expected from the scent. Something awful and wrong within me says that this would probably be tasty with venison, so I climb a tree and start shooting at living things. I'm not even sure where I got a gun. What is happening to me?

Overall, this beer feels a bit flat for me, but it is nice and buttery. I was expecting something more similar to a witbier, so it wasn't quite as refreshing as I had hoped. Not bad, but something about this just ain't blowing my skirt up. Can't quite put my finger on it. My prejudices have won. I finished the glass, belched, crushed the empty can against my forehead, then put on "Nascar's Greatest Crashes" on VHS. Help me. Please.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

12 ounce can poured into a Bruery tulip glass.

A: Wonderful golden yellow body, hazy, with a generous foamy white head, probably exaggerated by the tulip glass but nonetheless a gorgeous looking beer.

S: Citrus esters, lots of banana comes through, a faint hint of clove and some orange zest. As it warms, the wheat base becomes a lot more evident with cracked coriander in the end. Pretty good once it opens up and breathes.

T: Banana is dominant here but unfortunately it seems to be a rather dry banana taste, that sticks around in the finish - dry and a bit unpleasant. Orange and a hint of lemon are here too, a nice mixture of flavors in the taste that seemed to be there but not as strongly in the nose.

M: A really wonderful mouth feel here, creamy, maybe a touch too carbonated but still smooth and refreshing.

I have to be honest, this was *the* first beer to get me into craft beer and it's great to come back and revisit this almost 2 years later. It's still a very solid brew but not the same I remember after finally having that "Ah ha!" moment. Still, a wonderful local Hefeweizen I'm glad I can get year round.

3.83/5  rDev -1%

Pours a hazy, dull-orange in color, topped with a billowy off-white head which recedes rapidly whilst imparting to the glass a light coating of sticky lace.

Nose is a mixed-bag -- somewhat lively and zesty but also muted: I'll note here that this sample is now several months past it's best-by date of 11/29. Still, the nose is about what I've come to expect from certain familiar German imports!

Tangy-sweet and lightly acidic on the first sip, with broader notes of wheat malt across the palate. This is no doubt "refreshing" in a hot summer's day sort of way, and even here in the depths of a Minnesota winter it's taking the chill off my bones.

Quite yeasty as well -- rather opaque and somewhat mysterious on first sight. Bready, and little musty (in a good way ; )

A decent beer, and certainly worth tracking down if you'd like a nice domestic example of the style.

A big Thank You to Dr. Woody Chandler for this CAN, which was a sure-cure for the winter blues on this Saturday morning ; )

EDIT: I wanted to add that this was a nicely-bitter beer as well, and that I experienced some Wheat aromatic characteristics that I more often appreciate in certain Belgian Tripel -- I upped my score accordingly. Also worth noting that this one tasted "good" well-beyond it's best-by date : )

4.44/5  rDev +14.7%

12 oz can

App: super cloudy dark gold, almost amber in the wide areas I'd the glass

Smell: divine. A bouquet of fruit, malted wheat, slight herbal hops, and a decent dose of yeasty funk

Taste: a well rounded flavor combining elements of bread and grapes. Ends with a low but firm hop bitterness that essential to a good hefe.

Medium body with the tight carbonation found in the style. This one happens to be a little under carbonated for my tastes, but perhaps it is the batch.

Great stuff. On tap it's my favorite hefe. Good in cans but lacking consistency, so 4.5

4.82/5  rDev +24.5%

32oz growler from Whole Foods into a tall Hard Rock Cafe glass.

Royal pours out pretty dirty with a unfiltered look. A bold orange/dark tan hue that can't be seen through. A nice bubbly white head that's not very thick, but retains a nice stick on the glass.

The smell is pretty much equal to a bunch of oranges and wheat. Not a lot of banana but a nice sweet malt base. I cant say how much orange is in here, it's abundant.

Being so close to the source at Sly Fox I know that this beer is fresh as shit. With that you think there would be some hops in here, but they don't register on my palate. Oranges and wheat takes up most of the spotlight, while banana and pale malt are in the back. Banana is real light.

The Royal Weisse is real refreshing easy drinking beer. The body is a tad thicker than most hefe's but this is the royal we are talking about here and it shows. A light carb and a short and bursting aftertaste.

I cant believe it took me so many years to warm up to this one. This is what beer drinking is about because you can drink tons of it with the low ABV and not get bored with it. Not your standard Hefe here.

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

A - beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head that flows with heavy carbonation.

S - Smells of banana, clove, and just a touch of pilsner malt.

T - The first time I had it all I could taste was the bitter pilsner malts but today's tasting after a couple of DIPA's really made the beer taste closer to an actual Heffe. Strong banana with a touch of wheat and clove follow with a smooth finish. Nice.

M - Really light and succession-able

D - Well I really like other Heffe's more but for 10.25 a six pack this was a very good overall beer. Would I buy it again? Eh maybe not.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this beer. This is my first beer from Sly Fox.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma is banana, cloves and circus peanuts. The flavor is wheat and banana with some clove notes. Medium, creamy mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice hefeweizen.

3.72/5  rDev -3.9%

Pour - light golden in color, sort of a tannish orangish color but the light makes it look a little paler. Some cloudiness as well. Nice fluffy head that fades and leaves some nice lacing.

Aroma - all the aromas you've grown to love about this style are their. We're talking banana, clove, bubble gum along with some lemon and orange.

Taste - citrusy, biscuity, bananas, cloves along with a touch of sweetness a la apple sauce or juice. Plenty of estery goodness imparted by the yeast which gives this beer so much flavor. A tad bit of spiciness in the finish from the hops. Solid.

Overall - a solid hefeweizen from the folks at Sly Fox. They've taken a hard to can style and made it taste so simple. Great stuff, definitely worth trying if you can find it. If you're a big fan of wheat beers than this is for you.

to view more.