Royal Weisse - Sly Fox Brewing Company

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 11-26-2002

Ratings: 170 | Reviews: 92
4.22/5  rDev +9%

Dirty, dull orange in color and very murky. Poured with a short white foam that quickly dissipated. Sweet banana and wheat malt aromas with a hint of spice. On the thicker side of medium bodied with a chewy middle. Sweet banana and yeast flavors up front that transition to a bitter hoppiness in the middle. Hop flavorsv open the door to a pleasant spicyness that intensifies to the end. A touch of citrus hop bitterness closes out the spicyness at the end and this slowly transitions back to a ripe sweet banana flavor.

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

A: The beer is slightly hazy yellow in color and has a moderate to high amount of visible carbonation. It poured from a can into a weizen glass with a finger high white head that quickly died down and left a thin layer of bubbles on the surface.
S: There are moderately strong aromas of wheat and bubble gum in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and also has some hints of clove towards the finish.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is a very good representation of the style, has great drinkability and is rather refreshing.

A: Pours a cloudy dark golden yellow to orange in color. The beer has a finger tall creamy dense white head that slowly reduces to a thin film covering the entire surface of the beer with a couple of slightly thicker patches and a thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of banana and clove, exactly what I would expect from the style. There are some lighter notes of orange citrus.

T: Like the smell, the taste is also dominated by the banana and clove flavors. There is some more subtle hints of orange citrus and wheat.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Creamy.

O: This beer is enjoyable, easy to drink, and quite sessionable. This could become a regular in the summer beer rotation - especially since it comes in cans and they can go anywhere (even to the pool).

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Had on tap at Whole Foods in Glen Mills PA. Review from notes.

A: Pours a hazy light yellow color with a small white head on top. Medium retention, slowly reducing to a thin cap on top. Minimal lacing.

S: Lots of wheat, some yeast, and a good bit of banana. There is some light pepper and coriander as well.

T: Similar to the aroma with a good bit of banana and some doughy malt. More spice from the yeast as well.

M: Light to medium body with bubble carbonation. Drinks easy.

O: A pretty good hefe. If it were readily available where I lived I could see myself keeping it in the fridge.

3.21/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a hazy golden amber with a thick creamy white head. The nose is a little messy and has lots of banana. It is a bit sweet and fruity with little else. The taste is singular, hints of clove and yeast underneath a dominant banana and lemon type hefeweizen flavor with a light bitterness in the back. The body is soft and creamy, lower carbonation for a hefe but a clean crisp finish. This is easy to drink and full of flavor, very simple and lacks the carbonation and spicy balance of a great hefe.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

bright yellow color coming through right away. A very hazy and cloudy look to this one I have to admit, as I was waiting to find some sediment, but none came forward. Nice three inches of white then topped out over the glass and settled down lightly into a nice little pillow of white, which was reinforced but lots of carbonation.

The aroma was light and very pleasing. Nice touches of grain, light wheat and a touch of a banana like aroma all coming through rather nicely. Some almost light grass like hops bouncing around in there as well. The flavor was very crisp, very clean with a well rounded profile that was very pleasing. Nice light rush of grass and grain, light bready malts and a touch of banana again coming through quite cleanly

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

On tap at Bar Americain midtown Manhattan.

Poured a nice hazy yellow/orange with 1.5" head. Nicely laced as I drank.

Decent nose, banana and clove noticeable but not pronounced.

Muted flavors, however, limited this hefe for me. Alcohol bite at the end not expected (and not welcomed, really).

In the end, this is an average hefe at best.

3.6/5  rDev -7%

Dark orange/tan color, very cloudy with a 2 fingers thick head. The foam leaves a nice lace after a few minutes. The aroma has a very classic yeasty banana character with a touch of spice. Looks and smells like it should be a very traditional Hefe.

The taste seems somewhat dull up front, with the banana and citrus flavors very muted. I just get a sort of tangy maltiness with an astringent finish which isn't too appealing. The carbonation is sharp, but it is also very fine, not creamy enough for the style.

There isn't much to say about this beer, it's a very average Hefe: drinkable, but not impressive.

3.62/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm the worst kind of wussy East Coast liberal, so I always feel slightly rednecky with canned beer. I will attempt to overcome my awful prejudices with this review. I snagged two of these at the goat races a couple weeks ago, after they ran out of stuffed goats and I had to use up the tickets I bought. My brother stole one and reviewed it under the other listing.

Popped a 12 oz. can and poured it into a pint glass. Huge white head, so tall, it took two pours to get the entire can in. Cloudy honey color with thick, almost lumpy lacing. Part of me thinks I'm better than this, but I do my best to subdue that asshole.

Got a nose full of bananas and honey, with a tiny bit of malt and mild citrus hops. As if waking from a dream, I'm suddenly aware of the compulsion to put Toby Keith on the stereo. Odd.

The taste is very fruity, with lots of banana and maybe some Asian pear. Slightly spicy, maybe clove or nutmeg. The hops are mild and slightly citric, as expected from the scent. Something awful and wrong within me says that this would probably be tasty with venison, so I climb a tree and start shooting at living things. I'm not even sure where I got a gun. What is happening to me?

Overall, this beer feels a bit flat for me, but it is nice and buttery. I was expecting something more similar to a witbier, so it wasn't quite as refreshing as I had hoped. Not bad, but something about this just ain't blowing my skirt up. Can't quite put my finger on it. My prejudices have won. I finished the glass, belched, crushed the empty can against my forehead, then put on "Nascar's Greatest Crashes" on VHS. Help me. Please.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

12 ounce can poured into a Bruery tulip glass.

A: Wonderful golden yellow body, hazy, with a generous foamy white head, probably exaggerated by the tulip glass but nonetheless a gorgeous looking beer.

S: Citrus esters, lots of banana comes through, a faint hint of clove and some orange zest. As it warms, the wheat base becomes a lot more evident with cracked coriander in the end. Pretty good once it opens up and breathes.

T: Banana is dominant here but unfortunately it seems to be a rather dry banana taste, that sticks around in the finish - dry and a bit unpleasant. Orange and a hint of lemon are here too, a nice mixture of flavors in the taste that seemed to be there but not as strongly in the nose.

M: A really wonderful mouth feel here, creamy, maybe a touch too carbonated but still smooth and refreshing.

I have to be honest, this was *the* first beer to get me into craft beer and it's great to come back and revisit this almost 2 years later. It's still a very solid brew but not the same I remember after finally having that "Ah ha!" moment. Still, a wonderful local Hefeweizen I'm glad I can get year round.

3.83/5  rDev -1%

Pours a hazy, dull-orange in color, topped with a billowy off-white head which recedes rapidly whilst imparting to the glass a light coating of sticky lace.

Nose is a mixed-bag -- somewhat lively and zesty but also muted: I'll note here that this sample is now several months past it's best-by date of 11/29. Still, the nose is about what I've come to expect from certain familiar German imports!

Tangy-sweet and lightly acidic on the first sip, with broader notes of wheat malt across the palate. This is no doubt "refreshing" in a hot summer's day sort of way, and even here in the depths of a Minnesota winter it's taking the chill off my bones.

Quite yeasty as well -- rather opaque and somewhat mysterious on first sight. Bready, and little musty (in a good way ; )

A decent beer, and certainly worth tracking down if you'd like a nice domestic example of the style.

A big Thank You to Dr. Woody Chandler for this CAN, which was a sure-cure for the winter blues on this Saturday morning ; )

EDIT: I wanted to add that this was a nicely-bitter beer as well, and that I experienced some Wheat aromatic characteristics that I more often appreciate in certain Belgian Tripel -- I upped my score accordingly. Also worth noting that this one tasted "good" well-beyond it's best-by date : )

4.44/5  rDev +14.7%

12 oz can

App: super cloudy dark gold, almost amber in the wide areas I'd the glass

Smell: divine. A bouquet of fruit, malted wheat, slight herbal hops, and a decent dose of yeasty funk

Taste: a well rounded flavor combining elements of bread and grapes. Ends with a low but firm hop bitterness that essential to a good hefe.

Medium body with the tight carbonation found in the style. This one happens to be a little under carbonated for my tastes, but perhaps it is the batch.

Great stuff. On tap it's my favorite hefe. Good in cans but lacking consistency, so 4.5

4.82/5  rDev +24.5%

32oz growler from Whole Foods into a tall Hard Rock Cafe glass.

Royal pours out pretty dirty with a unfiltered look. A bold orange/dark tan hue that can't be seen through. A nice bubbly white head that's not very thick, but retains a nice stick on the glass.

The smell is pretty much equal to a bunch of oranges and wheat. Not a lot of banana but a nice sweet malt base. I cant say how much orange is in here, it's abundant.

Being so close to the source at Sly Fox I know that this beer is fresh as shit. With that you think there would be some hops in here, but they don't register on my palate. Oranges and wheat takes up most of the spotlight, while banana and pale malt are in the back. Banana is real light.

The Royal Weisse is real refreshing easy drinking beer. The body is a tad thicker than most hefe's but this is the royal we are talking about here and it shows. A light carb and a short and bursting aftertaste.

I cant believe it took me so many years to warm up to this one. This is what beer drinking is about because you can drink tons of it with the low ABV and not get bored with it. Not your standard Hefe here.

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

A - beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head that flows with heavy carbonation.

S - Smells of banana, clove, and just a touch of pilsner malt.

T - The first time I had it all I could taste was the bitter pilsner malts but today's tasting after a couple of DIPA's really made the beer taste closer to an actual Heffe. Strong banana with a touch of wheat and clove follow with a smooth finish. Nice.

M - Really light and succession-able

D - Well I really like other Heffe's more but for 10.25 a six pack this was a very good overall beer. Would I buy it again? Eh maybe not.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this beer. This is my first beer from Sly Fox.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma is banana, cloves and circus peanuts. The flavor is wheat and banana with some clove notes. Medium, creamy mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice hefeweizen.

3.72/5  rDev -3.9%

Pour - light golden in color, sort of a tannish orangish color but the light makes it look a little paler. Some cloudiness as well. Nice fluffy head that fades and leaves some nice lacing.

Aroma - all the aromas you've grown to love about this style are their. We're talking banana, clove, bubble gum along with some lemon and orange.

Taste - citrusy, biscuity, bananas, cloves along with a touch of sweetness a la apple sauce or juice. Plenty of estery goodness imparted by the yeast which gives this beer so much flavor. A tad bit of spiciness in the finish from the hops. Solid.

Overall - a solid hefeweizen from the folks at Sly Fox. They've taken a hard to can style and made it taste so simple. Great stuff, definitely worth trying if you can find it. If you're a big fan of wheat beers than this is for you.

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

Best by 8/17/10...Appears a golden sunburst hazed in all it's unfiltered wheat beer glory, large bright white head with fine intricate lacing. The nose is packed with citrus, banana, clove, and a slight vanilla tone, a bit of bubblegum thrown in as well. Bottom line a ton of esters and sharp expressive wheat notes, liquid bread is great. The first true hefe I've had canned. I was excited to see this show up at Robinson Beverage best by date of 8/17/10 canned all summer long baby. It's like a banana smoothie going down, citrus and wheat bite blends nicely a bit of vanilla/bubblegum and a touch of clove adds to some dryness. Yeast sediment is suspended evenly no big chunks but cloudy as hell. Mouthfeel is nice sturdy but no cloying carbonation light to medium bodied smooth drinking beer that I'm glad to support in their new 24 pack sutcases they're selling, damn they look good.

3.68/5  rDev -4.9%

Served on-tap at the Warwick Hotel in Hummelstown, PA.

A: The ale is a cloudy autumn leaves of auburb yellow-and-brown hues. No head whatsoever.

S: The nose offers up some wheat, lightly tart, with a just a bit of weizen-like clove.

T: The weizen's flavor comes through more vibrantly in the taste. Banana and clove stand out, sweetening up the mild tartness of the wheat. Bready malts follow the wheat, adding body to the ale without siphoning off the sweetness.

M: The mouthfeel gets the job done, offering me enough wheat and yeast to get away from the pale wheat ale territory.

D: Another glass or two wouldn't anybody.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Had this beer on tap at Tap and Table on Sly Fox night. Since candle light is all there is in the T&T it was tough to get a great look but it seemed to be very hazy and straw colored. The cloudiness was as thick as I've ever seen on a Hefe. There was a great hefe aroma mostly cloves. The taste was the same almost all cloves but very smooth. The feel was creamy. I could drink more of these and will watch for them in cans.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured this brew into a Ommegang Chalice.

Pours a honey orange, with a white head that fades quickly. Some lacing.

Smells of bananas, yeast some malts. Some fruity smells as well.

Tastes of bananas, yeast, some maltly flavors as well. The brew is very drinkable. A bit of a cracker, bready taste as well.

This brew is very drinkable, tasty and creamy. A very solid Hefe. Not the best I have had - but very solid.

4.02/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from the can into a Weizen glass.

A: Dark, cloudy, copper orange, with a thick fluffy white head that left some decent lacing.

S: Ripe bananas, clove and malty wheat.

T: Clove, banana and some mild hop bitterness. Overall, a very nice take on the style. I was hoping for just a little bit more spicyness on my tongue though...

M: Somewhere in the middle of medium and lighter, nicely carbonated...

D: Very drinkable, I am very happy that I have a case of this.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Can into Weizen Glass.

A: Nice hazy looking straw color with a half finger of white head. Nice looking lacing as well.

S: Nice wheat right up front with a touch of mustiness. The clove is there but faint and there is a little bit of bubblegum. The yeast is not quite where I want it but it does smell really nice.

T: Nice classic heff taste. Really nothing to make it stand out. Really just a solid beer. The yeast does not give you as much as it did in the nose.

M: It has that wheat feel if that makes sense. Not quite thick but not light either. Low carbonation.

D: I drank a few of these while tubing and really enjoyed them. Just a great summer beer for the lake or river or whatever. Sly Fox does not disappoint.

3.3/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured into an American pint glass from the can. Pours a hazy gold with hints of orange. Slightly murky with mild carbonation. Smells great with hints of german hops, german yeast, and wheat. The taste is decent, although I find it similar to the Pikeland Pils of theirs: very distinct potency of hops. Sharpe, rip, alpha-acid-y hops. Almost makes this beer a little too clean tasting. The hops are such a dominating punch, that the soft mellow character that I like in German Hefes is dried up. This also takes away from the mouthfeel and drinkability. Maybe it would be better if I waited 3 months to find the window where the hops begin to subside, but it doesn't taste like cardboard yet... might be tough.

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

A - poured out of a can into a weisse glass, creamy foamy head, cloudy golden-brown-orange.

S - banana, clove spiciness, coriander with a sweet hint of fruity butter.

T - sweet and mild apple with a distant numbing hop.

M - creamy with a good level of carbonation, medium bodied - the mouthfeel is more like an Irish stout that a weisse, but it works for me

D - Typical weisse drinkability

3.83/5  rDev -1%

Wow, what a nice offering for an American made Hefe. Penn still beats it, but not by much, in my opinion. Pours a HUGE head with tracing down the glass. Smells of banana, clovey scents and tastes the same. A bit watery on the body. Falls just a bit short in taste compared to the rest of the beer. Needs a little more bold character. It is still, a great experience. I wish I had more than one.

Royal Weisse from Sly Fox Brewing Company