2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ichor - Sly Fox Brewing Company

IchorIchor

Sly Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

This Abbey-style Quadruple brewed with German Pils and Roast malts and dark candi sugar, hopped with German Tradition hops. Luscious and seductive, Ichor is brewed for both the body and the soul. This beer will improve with careful aging but is ready to drink now.

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 02-18-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 136 | Reviews: 83 | Show All Ratings:
sholland119

4.22/5  rDev +9%

One of my favorite Sly Fox beers.

Pours a clear rich ruby red with very little head or lacing.

Smells strongly of dark fruits and brown sugar with a hint of vanilla and just a bit of alcohol.

Tastes of raisins, plums, brown sugar and caramel sweetness. A bit of alcohol warming at the very end of the finish. Excellent.

Mouthfeel is good if a little light. A little lingering sweetness.

Very drinkable especially for the ABV. Very smooth and delicious with light carbonation.

HV

08-12-2008 14:54:26 | More by sholland119
Brianmerrilyn

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured into a goblet at David Copperfields. After 2 tries of different style beers,I was more than happy to find out that the Ichor was a quad.

A:Dard brown with ruby accents. 2 finger khaki head with nice ringing laces and perfect retention sticking to my glass.

S: Dark fruits and earthy malts.

T: A powerful sweetness transitioning into a slighy hoppy taste, with candys returning for the finish.

M: Thick,rich and creamy. Carbonation at a moderate level to add to the complexity.

D: Pure bliss with every quaff of this gem. There may be bourbon accents or just that the high abv level really takes off half way through as it warms and the scents grow.

07-05-2008 02:04:08 | More by Brianmerrilyn
ROMER79

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%

This beer had a brown pour with a one finger tan head. It smelled of caramel, nuts, fruits, and roasted malts. The taste was was great. I could really pull out all the flavors that I mentioned above. The mouthfeel was thin and it left a fresh after feel in my mouth. Not bad for a strong beer.

06-04-2008 14:18:52 | More by ROMER79
kenito799

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

8 oz pour at South Philly Tap Room.

The caveat with this richly complex brew is that the keg seems to have gone flat, so the beer might not show nearly as well as possible. I liked it enough that I will certainly give it another try if I come across it on tap or in the bottle, when I get the chance. The sample I had was delivered to me with no head at all. A very dark beer with maroon and purple highlights when held to the light. Good Belgian quad aromas of root beer, cola, cherries and spice waft from the glass. Carbonation not absent when drinking, but certainly subdued, and at least a bit more would have elevated what is a rich, heavy style. The bright spiciness and winey cherry fruit kept the beer surprisingly drinakble, however. A wonderfully complex interplay of rich flavors. I hope to try a better sample someday.

04-21-2008 14:22:45 | More by kenito799
ski271

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I reviewed a bottle of this earlier and was quite disappointed, but after enjoying a hand-pulled pint of this at Zeno's in State College, PA, I'm thinking I got a mishandled bottle. This beer has all the characteristics I listed before for the nose, but appearance, taste, mouthfeel and just the overall drinking experience were far superior to my last encounter. I love the rich complexity. The high alcohol is well hidden by its fruity and malty sweetness, and as big as this beer is it is surprisingly easy-drinking. If I hadn't known better I'd have had a couple of these and not been able to drive home safely. A wonderful beer and I really enjoyed.

Serving type: cask

04-08-2008 17:11:40 | More by ski271
akorsak

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

A snifter-sized glass poured at Iron Hill West Chester's Belgium Comes to West Chester.

A: The ale is a muddy creek brown color, brownish with a lot of haze. As I drank the ale, the haze became more concentrated in the bottom of the snifter.

S: The aroma is malty sweetness with a fruity aroma that highlights darker fruits.

T: The flavor is full-bodied malts, thick and chewy and not shy on the alcohol. As the ale sits on the tongue, some prunes and raisins stick out, providing a nice malty fruit base. Some bittering hops shine on top of the malts, but the malts are the star here. The flavors finish long and climax in a nice yeasty thickness.

M: The alefruits are delicious, providing a darker depth to the strong malts.

D: I wrote this beer off after an earlier tasting but clearly that was premature. This is a strong quad, full of malty strength and a very nice product. Thank God for second chances!

01-28-2007 01:43:35 | More by akorsak
maybrick

4.83/5  rDev +24.8%

Brian's quad. Awesome. Deep, dark, malty, carmel, every big beer lovers dream. The head holds on, the mouthfeel exceptional and the complexity and balance are truly remakrable. This stuff is not for light hearted the ABV is well over 10. As it warms the characteristics become more refined and this is a truly remarkable and memorable brew.

11-25-2003 18:41:20 | More by maybrick
IrishRedRock

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

This is one I've been waiting for. Poured in front of me straight from a quarter keg, a deep brown, nearly black with only a thin, darker than white head that did not hang around. Strong aroma of alcohol and dark fruits. I figured the alcohol would be prevalent in the flavor since it was in the nose, but it was quite well hidden. I thought the ABV was somewhere near 10 (which it is), but was so well hidden that I went and double-checked right then. I was at the Kennett Brewfest, by the way.

Smooth and delightful in the mouth...as it warms there the flavors come out. Plums, spices and a rich malt character make this one a winner.

09-15-2003 21:29:01 | More by IrishRedRock