Route 113 I.P.A. - Sly Fox Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.
good

Sly Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

A big, flavorful IPA, brewed with Pale and Crystal malts, and hopped with Bravo, Centennial, Cascade, and East Kent Goldings. Bold and Spicy.

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 07-04-2003)

4.92/5  rDev +33.3%

4.6/5  rDev +24.7%

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Rusty gold with a nice head of foam and excellent lacing. The aroma is intense, very fruity, and consists of hops(2 cs[cascades centennials], goldings, and one other I think), some sweet biscuity malts, and a special IPA spiciness that sometimes rears its head. The taste is hoppy as hell in the front, with some strong malty flavors in the middle, and a somewhat sweet, fruity, hopbomb-like finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and to style and the drinkability is very good as well. One of the best brewpub IPAs I have had in a while.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Amazing. I must confess, I went into Sly Fox thinking this was going to be the ONLY brew I was going to drink...

Silly rabbitt...

This IPA presented with a deep and rich golden, almost hazy peach color... hey, I am color-challenged... The aroma filed my sinuses with beautiful hops and a good bit of citrus, but not to a fault. I caught some malt lingering in the bushes, so to speak, and I liked that from this offering... A beautiful rendition of what an IPA should be, and sneaky at that, being 7.3% ABV...

4.5/5  rDev +22%

My bottle of Rt 113 IPA poured a crystal clear dark amber.
A fluffy white head with generous bubbles welled up from the beer.
Tenacious lacing clung to the glass walls right to last drop...
Modest fruity citrus nose heralded the hops flavor to come.
Hops galore is the first note of this fine IPA taste. The flavor differentiates into a hops and citrus with a long lasting bitter that sweeps into a clean finish that doesn't quit.

Flavor brokered a bold up front IPA body with a very congenial personality that makes this IPA a beer to request and enjoy over and over..

I like! I like!

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

Appearance: clear light amber with orange highlights. Thick 2" fluffy head.

Smell: the nose picked up the hops as the glass was just slid next to me at the bar. As the glass was brought to my nose the citrus and floral hops were very pleasant and up front.

Taste: this was a well balanced IPA, as malt and strong bitterness was joined with grapefruit dancing in background to round it out.

Mouthfeel: crisp at the start and finish. The finish was also very dry and long on the bitterness.

Drinkability: I found this beer to be extremely drinkable, and if you are a hophead, this beer is for you.

4.44/5  rDev +20.3%

4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

Pours with a vicious craggy cratered vanilla 2 inch head cap atop a well filtered polished copper hue with a few rising bubbles. Killer foamy frothy head cap that just wont quit. Yee-haw!

Aroma is a stark piney bright hops with a crisp honey and grassy compliment. Robust deep vanilla meets pine sap.

First swigs: Woody pine aspects meet well with a slight tea like malt balance but the full front is hop woody. Enjoyable blend of tea aspects and dry white grapefruit slices.

Feel is medium bodied and clean as all get out. Quite drinkable and solid. Too bad that finding this is getting too rare as its popularity increases. Make more!

Last swigs: Could I drink these all night? Ummm..yup! Gimmie more!

Beer is good. Happy good beering.

4.38/5  rDev +18.7%

This beer was served in a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer has a very dark amber coloration. The beer has tight carbonation. The head is thick and puffy with a biege coloration. The head never fully resolved while drinking this beer.

Smell: The beer delivers a major grape fruit and pine cone resin hoppyness. The malty backbone has a sweet caramel kick.

Taste: The beer is seriously hoppy. This beer delivers a major grapefruit lead in. The caramel maltyness comes in breaking the intial hoppyness. The beer then goes pine cone oily and citrus zest bitter. The beer has a very good dry finish.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is on the plus side of medium bodied. The hop oilyness prolongs the flavor. This is a well balanced hop treat. This is a very easy to drink beer. I had problems setting this beer down while drinking it.

4.38/5  rDev +18.7%

Pours a crystal clear amber with a tall billowy head. Aroma is toasty malt and a ton of hops, fresh and citrusy.

Taste is a good toasted malt base with a blanket of sweet hops laid on top. Nice bitter bite at the back of the throat but mostly mild, juicy, citrus hops up front. Nice balance, I like that grassy sweet element.

Mouthfeel is medium, leaves the palate very clean. Not what I would call a hop-bomb but that leaves it quite drinkable.

4.38/5  rDev +18.7%

Appearance: My wife bought me a case of this one at our favorite local distributor, In-N-Out. The guys there are very knowledgeable and recommended this one to her and am I glad. This beer poured a beautiful thick frothy two finger head. As I drank the beer it got more impressive with amazing sticky lace. The side of the glass became covered from top to bottom. The color was a very clear orangish amber.
Smell: Grassy hops backed with caramel malt.
Taste: Plenty of grassy hop flavor with just a touch of spice. The hops are domineering, but are balanced well with the sweet malt flavor. Quite good, I'm glad I've got 6 more 22 oz. bottles.
Mouthfeel: Course.
Drinkability: This one went down easy and I'm sure I could easily down another 22 ozer.

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

22oz bomber.

medium amber color, with HUGE, thick, creamy head.

My olfactory bulb is telling me that it's a Schmidt's 12oz grenade-bottle.... reminds me of fetching my dad a beer when I was a kid.

Hoppy, citrus, pine flavorings, with nice bite in the aftertaste.

This is NOT an "extreme" hop-fest, but rather nicely balaced and pleasing.

VERY DRINKABLE, tasty, yet mellow IPA. Very nice beer to stick with throughout an entire evening.

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

I got a 1/6 of this on the suggestion of Matt @The Beer Yard. Fantastic brew. This is the last beer from the keg and it's STILL amazing with perfect head and carbonation in the last glass. I could be crazy but the keg over 2 weeks seemed to mellow out and become better with each passing day. Anyway, it poured a deep and clean amber/copper color. The scent was very Hoppy --- strong asertive hops, not light citrus hops from the west coast. This just felt like an East Coast IPA. The taste was smooth and raw at the same time. The only way to describe is earthy and grassy, but clean and crisp as well. There was a nice toasted malt backbone as well and the sweetness was nice but not overbearing. The moutfeel as I stated before was effervescent and lasted until way after the last sip. This was TOO drinkable --- at 7% this puppy sneeks up on you quick. A great brew from a small but noteable brewery. This IPA is up there with some of the great East Coast IPA's (even Hop Devil).

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

22 oz bomber out of a case from the Beer Yard.

Poured into a special edition Sam Adams etched glass.

A- Deep amber with orange hues. One finger head, not much lacing.

S- Malt first, then a slight citrus hop aroma. Was expecting a bit more hop aroma, but still nice.

T- Upfront hops, nice malt balance, great finish.

M- Bitter (good), tingles on the tongue with no sign of alcohol.

D- Very easy to drink, perfect carbonation. Could drink this one all night...

Another SlyFox flagship masterpiece...

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

Picked this up on a beer run to Monster Beverage in Glassborg, NJ.

Pours from the bottle a pale orange, nearly a caramel color. Very thick head, that dissipates very slowly and clings heavily to the glass.

Smell is a malt start with citrusy hop finish. Not as strong as I anticipated.

Taste is malt at first, with a citrusy hops follow up and bitter finish. Not an overpowering aftertaste. I like the strong malt notes and citrus hops combination.

Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, considering the bitterness. Lightly carbonated and pretty smooth finish.

Very drinkable, I could put back a few so I am glad I picked this up in the 22oz bottle.

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

Served a clear deep amber colored beer with moderate white puffy head. Smell is domianted by pine, citrus and fresh cut grassiness. Taste is also strong on hops with enough malt to provide a good balance. Finishes on the dry side with the malt mainly supressed. An extremely enjoyable beer with too easy drinkability for a 7% beer.

Route 113 I.P.A. from Sly Fox Brewing Company