Route 113 I.P.A. - Sly Fox Brewing Company

Route 113 I.P.A.Route 113 I.P.A.

Sly Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 07-04-2003

A big, flavorful IPA, brewed with Pale and Crystal malts, and hopped with Bravo, Centennial, Cascade, and East Kent Goldings. Bold and Spicy.

3.76/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Dark amber color. Monstrous head, I thought there was a marsmallow in my tulip

S- All hops, bitter, very little individual unique aromas

T- Extremely bitter at the start..more palatable as it warmed and the palate grew used to the full frontal hops assault

M- Oily, harsh...a definite acquired taste. This is my second go-round with this hop monster.

D- I think it depends on exactly where you happen to be in your evening/session. The first third of the first bomber has you thinking this one may be too intense to finish. Once you pass the point of no return,'s all good.

Definately not an everyday drinker. Works very well as a "go to" choice when your first higher ABV offering didn't leave you enough slack to repeat. I really like this one as a second bomber behind Undercover Shutdown. I just think it's one you have to fall in love with all over again every time you open one. I'd keep a few in stock if I could.

3.74/5  rDev +0.3%

From a bomber I picked up at the Phoenixville location. Slightly hazy medium bronzish-amber with a HUGE, off-white, pillowy, meringue-like head. Large craters form as it very slowly diminishes, leaving gobs of sticky lacing on its way down. Citrus, pine and toffee in the nose, along with some pepper and a slight hint of metal. Taste is more pine than citrus, though both present again over top a pleasant malt base. Woodsy grapefruit, herbs and some mild caramel. It has a medium-full body, creamy texture and moderate carbonation. Outside of the appearance, this beer was nothing spectacular. But it’s a decent IPA that will satisfy the hophead in you but not burn out your tastebuds. This bomber went down very easy.

3.88/5  rDev +4%

Light floral hop aroma, some malty sweetness eventually came to the top,orange amber color, my first sip had a quick sweetness up front, and a grainey hop in the middle, and a nice bigtime bittering finish that kept you content for a while. Simple but enjoyable hoppy IPA.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a sort of bronze/copper/orange amalgamation with a moderate, soft, tan head that left scattered lace.
Aroma had some light pine and wood sap notes with a caramel underpinning and some floral and fruity notes.
Flavors of orange and hint of grapefruit along with some caramel and grainy notes. As it warms released a resiny, pine bite.
Mouthfeel was past moderate but not quite heavy with a decnt balance of sweet and pepper, finished a bit too dry.
Drinkability was solid, not spectacular. Progression of flavors and overall flavor and feel profile didn't quite seem to work. Decent brew but nothing outstanding.

3.77/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light amber in color this beer builds a very impressive beige head that after some time subsides to a consistent cover (about 1/4" think and clinging to the sides of the glass). Aroma is very nice. Reminded me why I enjoy IPAs so much. Wonderfully bitter hops jump at you from the malty spring-board. Pine dominates the aroma, sweet maltiness is in the background. Unfortunately, hoppy bitterness jumping out at you when it comes to taste is not that great. This is in-your-face, hoppy, bitter beer that doesn't play games. It seems to be a bit too sweet for an American IPA.

This beer is highly enjoyable. It doesn't wow me, but I'll be happy to share it with a friend and pick it up if I am in Sly Fox's neighborhood. I also want to add that the label design is absolutely killer. Nice to see Sly Fox put some thought into this. I have picked up this 22 oz. bottle at the Phoenixville, PA location (which is worth a visit).

4.41/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours with a vicious craggy cratered vanilla 2 inch head cap atop a well filtered polished copper hue with a few rising bubbles. Killer foamy frothy head cap that just wont quit. Yee-haw!

Aroma is a stark piney bright hops with a crisp honey and grassy compliment. Robust deep vanilla meets pine sap.

First swigs: Woody pine aspects meet well with a slight tea like malt balance but the full front is hop woody. Enjoyable blend of tea aspects and dry white grapefruit slices.

Feel is medium bodied and clean as all get out. Quite drinkable and solid. Too bad that finding this is getting too rare as its popularity increases. Make more!

Last swigs: Could I drink these all night? Ummm..yup! Gimmie more!

Beer is good. Happy good beering.

4.08/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Spotted a few bottles of Sly Fox brews at a store I stopped by in New Jersey and since I hadn't tried any of their beers before, I bought a few different bottles including the Route 113 IPA.

Poured a clear, orange-rust color with a big, frothy head that was colored white and highly carbonated. Heavy lacing was left behind all over my pint glass. Aromas of pine, grapefruit, cheese-filled pasta, and oranges. A hoppy taste with a sour, but rich malty finish. The malt flavor was somewhat wheat-like with a bit of dark and bittersweet tones. Easy to drink with its texture and flavorful construct. Some smoked flavors appear at the end of the session with very subtle sweetened milk flavor; very interesting.

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

Served a clear deep amber colored beer with moderate white puffy head. Smell is domianted by pine, citrus and fresh cut grassiness. Taste is also strong on hops with enough malt to provide a good balance. Finishes on the dry side with the malt mainly supressed. An extremely enjoyable beer with too easy drinkability for a 7% beer.

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

Thanks to zrrbrrt for this 22 oz. bomber from Slyfox.

A: Pours a copper color with a frothy one and a half finger cream colored head that leaves puffy lace.
S: Aromas of sweet fruit hops, possibly grapefruit with an earthy malt that kicks in with a huge sniff. Possibly caramel malts?
T: Nice hop burst up front followed by heavy bready, woody, and slight smokey notes. Bitter ending that leaves your mouth slighty dry, but happy. Malt is more pronounced than I thought it was going to be, but definately welcomed.
M & D: Mouthfeel is smooth as this goes down the gullet fast. Coats the side of the mouth with a light velvety feel. Nice bitter bite on the roof of the mouth and tip of the tongue that lingers for awhile. Drinkability is high, though having a bunch of these would be a mistake as the abv is undetected. Get me some more offering from Sly Fox. Good Ipa.

4.21/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer came a vibrant amber and orange with a thick, slightly yellow tan head that left some wonderful lacing.

Smelled of light apple juice sweetness with a big cedar and nectarine hop character that really caught my attention. There was also a little smoky dryness floating around the nose as well.

The flavor was dominated by hops with a light ambiguous sour fruit coupled with a huge woody pine. Later, this faded into a under ripe pineapple and grapefruit dryness with a pleasant lingering (non-metallic thankfully) dryness.

The mouth feel was light to medium bodied with an invigorating carbonation that lightened the dry hop character.

Over all, this beer was beautiful, tasty and easy to drink.

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

Had this one in a growler a while back and had to score a bottle of this one...thanks to BeerBeing for sending this my way.
Rust color with two full fingers of eggshell white head...most sticks around and what fades, leaves behind some generous lacing.
Pleasant in the nose with a nice blend of floral and citrus hops, spice, and enough malt to offer up a mild sweetness.
Flavor is more of the same as above, but the hop bitterness overshadows the hint of sweet this one is displaying in the flavor.
I like the addition of the spice, while this is no "spiced" beer, it finishes with a bite and washes away clean after each swig.
The mouthfeel is slightly above average and the carbonation is where I like to see an IPA.
I'll have to see how I scored this one from the growler, but Sly Fox has done an exceptional job to bottle this winner without any flaws.
A great session beer for me...will need to score a few more the next time I visit PA.

4.34/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours a crystal clear amber with a tall billowy head. Aroma is toasty malt and a ton of hops, fresh and citrusy.

Taste is a good toasted malt base with a blanket of sweet hops laid on top. Nice bitter bite at the back of the throat but mostly mild, juicy, citrus hops up front. Nice balance, I like that grassy sweet element.

Mouthfeel is medium, leaves the palate very clean. Not what I would call a hop-bomb but that leaves it quite drinkable.

3.26/5  rDev -12.6%

22 ounce bottle. Sly Fox IPA pours out a mostly clear amber color with a big, creamy head. The aroma is wood and piney hops, although the hops aren't particularly strong. Biscuit malt flavor with caramel. Piney hops come in, but they don't taste as fresh as they should. Some herbal hops too. This isn't a bad ipa, but I find the hop flavor very odd. Bitter in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium. Decent drinkability. Just ok.

4.28/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Caramel/bronze colour with a short, off-white head. Great retention and lots of lace, with rings around the glass indicating the size of each sip. Intense orange/grapefruit aroma - I could smell the hops as the glass was set on my table. The malt smell was almost completely overpowered by the hops, but a bit of toastiness came through. Solid malt sweetness hits the palate first followed quickly by orange hop flavour. Bitterness is strong without passing over to the aggressive side. The finish was full of drying hop bitterness and the hop character really lingers. A bit of pine resin showed up as well. Medium body with carbonation on the low side. Powdery hops and fairly dry. A nice balance overall, with just the right amount of bold hop character. Very tasty and it seemed to keep getting better as I kept drinking.

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

22 oz bomber from 2005. No mention of ABV on the label.

Clear amber color..a few small pieces of yeast floating around.. Fairly modest, off-white head that leaves scattered lacing. Smell is not overpowering, but fragrant floral hops do make up most of the aroma. The caramel malt body makes this a well-balanced IPA, and it slides down the hatch quite easy. My first chance to try a brew from Sly Fox will definitely not be my last.

Big thanks goes out to froggyfrog for the bottle.

4.36/5  rDev +16.9%

Appearance: My wife bought me a case of this one at our favorite local distributor, In-N-Out. The guys there are very knowledgeable and recommended this one to her and am I glad. This beer poured a beautiful thick frothy two finger head. As I drank the beer it got more impressive with amazing sticky lace. The side of the glass became covered from top to bottom. The color was a very clear orangish amber.
Smell: Grassy hops backed with caramel malt.
Taste: Plenty of grassy hop flavor with just a touch of spice. The hops are domineering, but are balanced well with the sweet malt flavor. Quite good, I'm glad I've got 6 more 22 oz. bottles.
Mouthfeel: Course.
Drinkability: This one went down easy and I'm sure I could easily down another 22 ozer.

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

It came to me a crisp, clear coppery amber, rife with carbonation. A finger of soft, off-white head dwindled soon to a smattering ot froth islets. Curly lacing worked the glass.

The aroma wafted an initial air of caramel malt and light berry fruitiness, but they were soon outdone by a hops boquet that was decidedly more floral, with minor elements of pine and citrus.

Upon sipping, the toasted malt caramel note mingled with a light fruity sweetness. The drying commenced quickly, with grapefruit and pine this time overtaking the floral impression of the hops. Alcohol was very mild, though present, and went another step toward trying the whole. The finish was a natural progression of the flavor, fading but lingering as a dry, nicely bittered memory. It's considerably well-balanced, a nice treat for the palate.

Medium bodied, it had a creamy feel on the palate that had just a nick of resin feel, enough to glow on the tongue.

It's not a beer to knock your socks off, maybe, but when you're done, you realize just how much you enjoyed drinking it. It's a balanced, bittersweet concoction that will leave a warm glow. And in spite of a somewhat high ABV that does peek out a bit, it's well worth drinking each one, letting it slide down in a fiesta of flavor-savoring. There are many, many beers I would pass up in order to have this one again. That's saying something.

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

I have been on BA for a while but here is my first review. I snagged a case of the 113 22-ounce bottles to see how it tastes compared to 113 that I have had on tap (which I enjoy).

I was very pleased with how it has held up compared to on-draft. The smell and taste are hoppy and smooth. It is extremely drinkable which means it won't last long in my household with myself and a few other BA's lurking about. I got this at the BeerYard for $37.50 a case which makes it a great bargain at that price IMO. I am a huge IPA fan & this beer at that price will make it a mainstay in my household.

4.48/5  rDev +20.1%

My bottle of Rt 113 IPA poured a crystal clear dark amber.
A fluffy white head with generous bubbles welled up from the beer.
Tenacious lacing clung to the glass walls right to last drop...
Modest fruity citrus nose heralded the hops flavor to come.
Hops galore is the first note of this fine IPA taste. The flavor differentiates into a hops and citrus with a long lasting bitter that sweeps into a clean finish that doesn't quit.

Flavor brokered a bold up front IPA body with a very congenial personality that makes this IPA a beer to request and enjoy over and over..

I like! I like!

4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

Appearance: clear light amber with orange highlights. Thick 2" fluffy head.

Smell: the nose picked up the hops as the glass was just slid next to me at the bar. As the glass was brought to my nose the citrus and floral hops were very pleasant and up front.

Taste: this was a well balanced IPA, as malt and strong bitterness was joined with grapefruit dancing in background to round it out.

Mouthfeel: crisp at the start and finish. The finish was also very dry and long on the bitterness.

Drinkability: I found this beer to be extremely drinkable, and if you are a hophead, this beer is for you.

This beer poured a crystal clear amber color that had yellow/orange highlights on the edges, and was well carbonated. The head that was produced was a nice pure white color, some what dense but not the great lasting, the smell of hops were very present in the foam and the taste was hoppy as well. There was light lace present on the sides, but quicky slid to the bottom of the glass. The aromas were dominated by the hops, citrus, grapefruit and pine trees were 95% of the nose, there seemed to be some sweet malt present and caramel but soon masked by the fresh hops. The palate was satified with plenty of hops, pine needles, citrus noted hops, and the bite of grapefruits, some sweet malts and caramels did become present as it warmed in the middle and fresh cut grass on the back of the swallow made it crisp and clean. The aftertaste was of course hops, and very pleasing. The body was medium. Over all a nicely hopped beer, the hints of sweetness make it pleasing and I must say it is a well made beer and good example of the style. Just don't drink too much the ABV will get you.

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

Amazing. I must confess, I went into Sly Fox thinking this was going to be the ONLY brew I was going to drink...

Silly rabbitt...

This IPA presented with a deep and rich golden, almost hazy peach color... hey, I am color-challenged... The aroma filed my sinuses with beautiful hops and a good bit of citrus, but not to a fault. I caught some malt lingering in the bushes, so to speak, and I liked that from this offering... A beautiful rendition of what an IPA should be, and sneaky at that, being 7.3% ABV...

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

Rusty gold with a nice head of foam and excellent lacing. The aroma is intense, very fruity, and consists of hops(2 cs[cascades centennials], goldings, and one other I think), some sweet biscuity malts, and a special IPA spiciness that sometimes rears its head. The taste is hoppy as hell in the front, with some strong malty flavors in the middle, and a somewhat sweet, fruity, hopbomb-like finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and to style and the drinkability is very good as well. One of the best brewpub IPAs I have had in a while.

4.13/5  rDev +10.7%

11/12/04: Straight up, this is a very good beer. I've been on an IPA kick recently, so I've been trying new ones whenever I get a chance. Appearance was copper/orange and smelled of fresh hops. I haven't acquired the knack for identifying certain hops by their aroma, so I'll just say it smelled pretty good. :) Mouthfeel was just right... not watery and not heavy. Hops made themselves known, but weren't overpowering. Even my wife liked this selection, and she doesn't like very hoppy brews. I'd hesitate to call this a double IPA, but look at that abv! Whoa... Not bad! Very drinkable and it went well with my burger. IMHO, this beer is just about on par with Hop Devil.

Went to Sly Fox hoping to find another single-hopped IPA to rave over, but it was not to be. I chose the Rt 113 IPA as a distant second choice. I was pleasantly surprised.

The beer poured a clear copper color with a large, long-lasting head and huge lacing. The hops aroma dominates the nose but is accompanied by a nice citrus smell. This is confirmed by the taste, which is a hop chorus with a few notes of grapefruit and a little sweet fruit that balances the bitter.

It is very cleansing on the palate, medium-bodied and generally quite refreshing. This is a really well-crafted IPA with no big bite so that even some of my bitter-beer hating friends could drink from the growler.

Route 113 I.P.A. from Sly Fox Brewing Company