Route 113 I.P.A. - Sly Fox Brewing Company

Route 113 I.P.A.Route 113 I.P.A.

good

Sly Fox Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

A big, flavorful IPA, brewed with Pale and Crystal malts, and hopped with Bravo, Centennial, Cascade, and East Kent Goldings. Bold and Spicy.

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 07-04-2003)

Oakenator, Aug 02, 2014

JandJMD, Jul 31, 2014

let8it8grow, Jul 30, 2014
4.92/5  rDev +33%

wilmerkatie, Jul 29, 2014

micropale, Jul 28, 2014

OKCNittany, Jul 26, 2014
3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

12 oz can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark copper color. The head is about a finger high with a heavy cream shade. The texture is a bit rough-looking, even for the style. Retention is okay at best. Webs of lacing are left all the way down the glass.

S: The aroma here is pure old-school IPA - which means lots of crystal malt and lots of floral, herbaceous hops. It's malty, sure (and the kind of malts I don't like in IPAs), but I'll still give credit for how well the hops come through. I'd enjoy more citrus or tropical notes, but whatever. It's decent for what it is...keep in mind that I significantly prefer more modern IPAs.

T: Flavor-wise, it's what I kind of expected. The malts are very prevalent to start - loads of toffee and caramel.There are even a welcome kiss of esters floating around. It's hop profile is mainly floral, piny bitterness lacking in hop flavor. Ironically, the huge amount of crystal malt does actually balance the (rather significant) bitterness - still, I can buy this having 113 IBUs. I still think it's too reliant on malt sweetness to give it flavor instead of the hops, but it's alright. Regardless, there's WAY TOO MUCH crystal malt here!

M: Starts off crisp, dry finishing, and easy to drink...then the maltiness takes over. Then the malts dominate. It doesn't *taste* sweet, but wow does it feel sweet. Drinkability is moderate for the style. Carbonation is on the low side - dare I say it feels a bit lifeless?

O: Another day, another IPA. This one is pretty plainly midpack - there are some nice qualities, but nothing here helps it stand out among the superior examples. If you like bitterness, this is a rock-solid choice. If you like crystal malts, you'll love it. Me? I'll stick with IPAs more to my personal tastes.

3.2/5: Too old-school to be great in my mind

sneth019, Jun 12, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

njbusa, Jun 10, 2014
3.06/5  rDev -17.3%

A- Pours a nice, coppery ambery type color with about a half inch of head, leaving behind a good deal of lacing along the sides of the glass.

S- Doesn't give off as much of an aroma as one might expect. Thin caramel malt and pine are the dominant smells. There's also a bit of a metallic edge. From the can, perhaps? No, can't be, can technology has been perfected by now. Get out of my head, preconceived notions!

T- Just a hint of malt sweetness before the bracing hops take over. 113 IBU? That seems... excessive. Hop character is piney and the bitterness, while strong, is not unpleasant. The malt makes an unexpected return on the finish, this time with a toasty character. Actually, most of the flavor in this beer comes from the malt, which is kind of the opposite of what I was expecting from a beer that has its outrageous IBU count in its name. Perhaps it's old? No, the best by date on the bottom says September '14. Plus, I'm pretty sure these cans can preserve beer for literal eons. I have a few that I plan on willing to my grandchildren. So that can't be it. The flavor's not bad, but I was hoping for more hop character.

M- Rather smooth, almost creamy. Carbonation gives it a little bite, but not too much.

O- It's not bad, but I can't say I love it. When a beer boasts 100+ IBU levels, I expect a good amount of hop flavor. This one just doesn't deliver in that respect. I'd like a little more than just toasty malt and bitterness, which is pretty much what this beer is. It's probably not one I'll be buying in the future.

vtfan77, Jun 06, 2014