Eight Point IPA - Devils Backbone Brewing Company

Eight Point IPAEight Point IPA

good

Devils Backbone Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

(Beer added by: CrellMoset on 11-27-2008)

Damian74Shensky, Mar 03, 2014

1.75/5  rDev -52.1%

beerrat, Feb 23, 2014
1.81/5  rDev -50.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Bought this beer in a make your own 6 pack after hearing good things aboutt he brewery.

The smell was not appealing at ALL. The tatse was horrific very very bitter, left a horifc aftertatse and just was no very good.

I could not even finish this beer, and I usually never pour one out but this one was a no go. Gonna give IPA's a rest for a while as I just do not seem to enjoy the style. The only one I have been able to enjoy is Long Hammer by Red Hook.

Devils Backbone is a solid brewery so I hear and the 10 and 12 point IPAs as well as Vienna Lager are supposed to be great but I just know this one wasnt my style at all and I wont be getting it again.

hdf561, Mar 28, 2013

mulliwater, May 25, 2013

spoonhawk, Jul 25, 2013

bcchimp, Feb 24, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -38.4%

Beershack, May 04, 2014
2.3/5  rDev -37%

This is one of the worst IPAs that I have ever had. I really, really wanted to like this, because I am a fan of Devil's Backbone, but this beer tastes like soap. I have given this beer several tries, but it always tastes the same--detergent-like with notes of astringent.

This beer seems like it has everything going for it until you taste it, and I know that I am not alone in the adverse reaction to the taste--nearly everyone else that I know that has tried this beer has come away disappointed. On the plus side the beer does finish well and surprisingly has no after taste at all, or at least not like you would expect. I rated the taste a little higher than it deserves, because of the cleaner finish--at least it does not punish you by lingering like a bar of Ivory will.

The mouthfeel is a little more watery than I would like, and the pungent soap flavor takes away from it. The mouthfeel is also a little sudsy, which makes it feel even more like soap.

After three tries, this beer strikes out. It brings back my days of youth when I said a cuss word, and my mother washed my mouth out. Not exactly what I would expect from a beer, much less one I would drink willingly.

orcsinspace, Mar 07, 2013

golf4collet, Dec 04, 2013

las00hero, Oct 07, 2012

mrterdferguson, Dec 17, 2012

PaulsBrew, Jan 19, 2013
2.54/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a small Troegs Mad Elf snifter. Was a recent extra in a trade and could not find a freshness date.

A: Just a slight tinge of orange of what would be otherwise straw colored.

S: Literally no nose at all, maybe a slight hop freshness if I really buried myself in it.

T: Slightly hoppy with a bit of a cheap perfume taste.

M: Fine for the style.

O: Not real good, not offensive but certainly nothing I would buy myself.

Cheers!

TheLostGringo, Mar 25, 2013
2.65/5  rDev -27.4%

A: A crystal clear honey colored beer with a pure white head. Very little retention, flecks of lacing remain behind.

S: Whoa, cat piss comes to mind. Rotting vegetables maybe. Yuck.

T: Hmm, having a tough time with this, get that rotten vegetable kind of taste, hard to describe. Very earthy hops as well, not much malts.

M: Well carbonated and medium bodied.

0: Not quite experienced enough but this may be oxidized or otherwise compromised, this was a growler so it's possible.

chilly460, Jan 06, 2012

Sammy, Aug 16, 2014

JohnnyK, Saturday at 04:15 AM

jmrude, Aug 11, 2014

andjriz, May 09, 2013
2.89/5  rDev -20.8%

A: A briliantly clear light copper color with under a finger of bright white foam that quickly fell. A small ring of tiny bubbles clung to the edge of the glass and a dusting in the center.

S: Very light grapefruit, with a hint of citrus for hop aroma. A notable amount of fruity esters maybe from the yeast. and bready base malt aroma.

T: The same grapefruit and citrus flavors comethrough in the begining to provide a modest bitterness that leaves a bit of a harshness on the pallet as it washes over. Malt profile comes through with toast, caramel and toffee notes that holds the bitterness niceley but the balance is on the hop side (as it should be for an IPA). A

M: Carbonation is on the low to mild side with a light body. The harshness of the hop character lingers on the pallet after a few sips and becomes slightly oniony.

O: This boarders on a Pale Ale in modern times and with the hop flavor being similar to alot of APAs (SNPA, cascades maybe?) not a bad APA but when categorized as an IPA it falls short.

guityler83, Dec 04, 2013