Eight Point IPA - Devils Backbone Brewing Company

Eight Point IPAEight Point IPA

good

Devils Backbone Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

(Beer added by: CrellMoset on 11-27-2008)

ChrisKayler, Apr 25, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +30.1%

chaos41, Apr 22, 2013
3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

A: Slightly hazy gold with hints of orange. Sparse white head with no lacing.

S: Catty with some grapefruit, and a rustic kind of smell.

T: Much like the scent, it has that catty tinge followed by strong grapefruit rind bitterness, followed up with that rustic bread-like tinge. It has good bitterness.

M: The mouthfeel is very nice. It has enough bitterness to pinch the mouth a bit, but not enough to drive the palate into overdrive. There's a dryness at the end.

O: Overall it's a good AIPA, but it does lack a lot of malt character and the flavor is strongly grapefruit rind. I wasn't a fan of the flavor choices, but it's not bad or anything. I personally wouldn't drink it again.

teromous, Apr 20, 2013

avisong, Apr 16, 2013

ryser2k, Apr 10, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Beers9beers, Apr 10, 2013

1up, Apr 09, 2013

hef, Apr 08, 2013
4.23/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams glass. Pours a cloudy light gold with a creamy white head that doesn't last two long but does linger and leave nice lacing. Aroma is strong hops with citrus notes. As the beer warmed the strong grapefruit dialed back and blended nicely with the malt backbone. Has some strong carbonation and a thinner mouthfeel. A nice, not overpowering IPA.

delta490, Apr 06, 2013
3.85/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer is a very pale amber with a foamy white head.

The smell is piney,dampness and cat piss. Sounds terrible but it's not bad.

The taste is piney, sweet citrus and bitter. Really coats your tongue with hops and lasts in your mouth a while.

The body is medium with medium carbonation.

Overall a pretty good ipa, I enjoyed this, was a little different.

Dave1999, Apr 05, 2013
3.74/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a very clean straw yellow…a few bubbles rising in the middle, but mostly a very crisp, clean looking brew…minimal off-whitish head forms leaving a lingering thin layer…the head look creamy…(3.5/5)

Smell: Fresh, crisp pine and citrus hops up front…it’s very light, very airy…I’m also getting some grassy bitterness…the more head there is (say after I swirl it around a little), the creamier the smell is for sure…creaminess comes with a caramel, toffee combo…a very well balanced aroma, clear fresh hops notes combining with a creamy caramel maltiness…(3.75/5)

Taste: Crisp pine bite and bitterness up front, then mixing with light citrus hops and sweet caramel malts…it’s got a very fresh, zesty taste…when it was colder, I got more grassy bitterness, but now that it’s warmed a bit, there’s more creamy malt flavor throughout…still has some tinges of grassy bitterness, but it’s mostly pine and lemon citrus hops mixed with creamy caramel malt…it’s good, not mind blowing, but good…(3.65/5)

Mouthfeel: Light body with medium to full carbonation…fluffs up bring light lemony bitterness to the palate…mild creaminess, some bitter bite on the edges, finishes with a mild dryness…(3.75/5)

Overall: This is a solid brew…while it doesn’t blow me away, it is very drinkable and is worth a try…I definitely found the flavor to improve as it warmed a bit out of the fridge…this brewery is located in Virginia near the Appalachian Trail and will actually come pick up hikers and let them tent in their open field for free…we did this in the summer of 2012…very fun…anyways, this is definitely an above average brew worth picking up and sharing with friends or catching on tap as you hike 2200 miles thru 13 states…(3.75/5)

SerialHiker, Apr 03, 2013

RyanAU, Apr 02, 2013

JohnK17, Mar 29, 2013
1.81/5  rDev -50.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Bought this beer in a make your own 6 pack after hearing good things aboutt he brewery.

The smell was not appealing at ALL. The tatse was horrific very very bitter, left a horifc aftertatse and just was no very good.

I could not even finish this beer, and I usually never pour one out but this one was a no go. Gonna give IPA's a rest for a while as I just do not seem to enjoy the style. The only one I have been able to enjoy is Long Hammer by Red Hook.

Devils Backbone is a solid brewery so I hear and the 10 and 12 point IPAs as well as Vienna Lager are supposed to be great but I just know this one wasnt my style at all and I wont be getting it again.

hdf561, Mar 28, 2013
2.54/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a small Troegs Mad Elf snifter. Was a recent extra in a trade and could not find a freshness date.

A: Just a slight tinge of orange of what would be otherwise straw colored.

S: Literally no nose at all, maybe a slight hop freshness if I really buried myself in it.

T: Slightly hoppy with a bit of a cheap perfume taste.

M: Fine for the style.

O: Not real good, not offensive but certainly nothing I would buy myself.

Cheers!

Greensean, Mar 18, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +30.1%

drperm, Mar 17, 2013
3.61/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The color is a golden yellow-orange that is bright and inviting, with only a thin white film of a head because of an overly-generous pour, but the beer leaves a great amount of lacing on the glass as I emptied it. The aroma is very muted but good, with a light fruity, fresh citrus hop character being most pronounced. The flavor is more assertive, with some pine, a little citrus, and an earthy bitterness in the finish. This beer has a great mouthfeel, with a resinous, substantial body that lets the flavor linger in the finish. Overall, this is a fairly commonplace IPA without any special characteristics, but it is solid.

devilben02, Mar 11, 2013

VTWicked, Mar 09, 2013

kjkinsey, Mar 09, 2013

Texasfan549, Mar 09, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -37%

This is one of the worst IPAs that I have ever had. I really, really wanted to like this, because I am a fan of Devil's Backbone, but this beer tastes like soap. I have given this beer several tries, but it always tastes the same--detergent-like with notes of astringent.

This beer seems like it has everything going for it until you taste it, and I know that I am not alone in the adverse reaction to the taste--nearly everyone else that I know that has tried this beer has come away disappointed. On the plus side the beer does finish well and surprisingly has no after taste at all, or at least not like you would expect. I rated the taste a little higher than it deserves, because of the cleaner finish--at least it does not punish you by lingering like a bar of Ivory will.

The mouthfeel is a little more watery than I would like, and the pungent soap flavor takes away from it. The mouthfeel is also a little sudsy, which makes it feel even more like soap.

After three tries, this beer strikes out. It brings back my days of youth when I said a cuss word, and my mother washed my mouth out. Not exactly what I would expect from a beer, much less one I would drink willingly.

orcsinspace, Mar 07, 2013