Eight Point IPA - Devils Backbone Brewing Company

Beer added by: CrellMoset on 11-27-2008

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

3.12/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a crystal-clear golden color. This produces lots of head, about three fingers high, and shaded barely off-white. It fades to about one finger in a short time, featuring a decently frothy texture. Nice sheets of lacing are left behind.

S: I note a lot of Simcoe hops, providing mango, melon, pine, and catty notes. Biscuity malt comes out the more it warms up. A good aroma, not an amazing one.

T: This opens with slight mango and melon notes. Touches of biscuity malt fills out the middle, before it finishes with a moderate hop bitterness, both piny and herbal. The back end in particular offers a strange grassy bitterness to it; this quality is probably why I don't like this more.

M: Good crispness, but a bit heavy in texture. This would be quite drinkable if the herbal finish didn't rub me the wrong way. Carbonation is non-intrusive.

O: While I'm thankful to see a relatively local IPA hit the market, it just can't compete with the heavy hitters in the style. There's too much weird bitterness for me to love this. Not horrible, but I wouldn't seek out again.

3.86/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured aggressively into a thistle glass...

Appearance - Light amber in color and has decent head retention. THick white head that stays for a good 7 minutes. I did pour pretty aggressively...

Smell - Sticky sweet, resinous hop aromas enter the nostrils with this one. An earthy hop smell, with a citrus finish

Taste - Pretty well balanced I.P.A. if you ask me. It is only clocking in at 5.9% which leaves room for another immediately following. The hop flavor is not as overwhelming as some other I.P.A.'s I have had, but it definitely has great character.

Mouthfeel - Very Light body, with a sticky, lip smacking hop finish. It has a smoothness about it as you sip it and it almost seems like a pale ale, until you are finished swallowing and lick your lips....then all that hop flavor presents itself in full swing.

Overall - A really drinkable, flavorful I.P.A. unlike any other I have had in a long time. My mouth is still craving another and my taste buds are not destroyed. An interesting I.P.A. that keeps me yearning for another.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%