Vienna Lager - Devils Backbone Brewing Company

Beer added by: on 12-24-2008

to view more.
Ratings: 569 | Reviews: 93
3.05/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Amber sludgy brown, with no head.

Flat, smells a bit like a homebrew - some malts, little else.

Malty like a big loaf of brown bread, restful on the tongue, mildly hoppy.

Nice in the mouth, sticky and even verging on chewy.

Decent, nothing bad about it, but nothing exceptional either.

1.89/5  rDev -49.3%

No good tastes like liquid tree.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A little yeasty and dry on the back pallet. Maybe a bit too effervescent.

Solid beer to drink, like yuengling

3.2/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I had this served to me on tap at harpoon Larry's. Dark amber with no head to speak up, minimal lacing. Smell is faint wheat and malts. The taste was slightly floral, with some hoppiness on the tongue, but it didn't hit me with the same bang that Eliot Ness did a while back. The mouthfeel is pretty solid, with medium body and a decent bite on the back of the tongue. Overall, this is a slightly above average Vienna.

4.44/5  rDev +19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Yup. If enjoyability was a catagory....or a word....it would be a 5.

4.69/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The is the ultimate Vienna Lager. The great taste is memorable and this is the one I measure all other Vienna lagers against.

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A dark amber beer from the tap.
Has a malt and may be grass smell.
Light carbonation with a great flavor.

4.04/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Good dark red lager. Low ABV, so really nice on a work night.

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from bottle into lager glass

A: Clear, attractive, orange-red appearance, crystal clear. White head disappeared almost instantly leaving no head at all on top - bad. Constant stream of bubbles rising through liquid

S: Caramel, maybe a little fruity, some bready notes. Pleasant

T: Clean, crisp, a little biscuity/bready, malty/caramel

M: Medium bodied

O: The smell and taste are pleasant and this beer is quite drinkable. A little lacking in the appearance but otherwise good.

4.09/5  rDev +9.7%

Smooth and very drinkable. Makes me hoppy

Pint at County Grill in Yorktown with family and Ronnie & Donna.

4.78/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Smooth Vienna lager that's one of my go-to beers to have in my kegerator, as it's not too dark nor too light for guests.

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I've had this one before in bottles, but had it on tap for the first time at a local restaurant when visiting back home for the weekend.

Served in a pint glass, with the head already mostly gone by the time it reached the table (just a little bit sitting on top, which faded away entirely not too much later.) Same nice caramely brown color that I remembered from the six-pack I picked up a while back, clear. Smell was mostly "beery" but just slightly sweet, though considering that food was around I may not have been able to pick up on everything.

Tastes nice. Bready, a little caramel-y, sweet but not TOO sweet, and with a hint of another flavor in there now and then (I'm assuming this is coming from the hops used.) My sister commented that it reminded her of sourdough bread, and actually I can kinda see that comparison now that I think about it. Seemed a bit different on tap than in bottled form (I suspect that maybe the bottles were fresher, considering that I bought them within 10-15 miles of the brewery and had them within a month of the bottling date!), but the caramel-like flavors I remembered were definitely there. Went together nicely with the fish & chips I ate, no odd changes in the flavor at all whether I drank after a bite of fish, a mozzarella stick, some fries, or some salad. The sweetness was a bit less pronounced as the meal went on, but the beer was still good the whole time. Smooth and very drinkable, I could've easily had a second one afterward if not for the fact that I didn't want to run up the bill too much since someone else was paying, heh.

Overall, this is good stuff whether on its own or with a meal, and seems to pair better with food compared to the other Vienna-style lagers I've tried so far--I'm not sure what makes the difference there (maybe the particular variety of hops used in each one, or maybe my taste buds just like these kinds of beers more with fish & chips rather than with spicy chicken tacos?), but it was definitely appreciated at lunch today.

4.51/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smooth and refreshing malty lager. Just what I'm looking for in the style.

3.17/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

wife always picks a good beer on her away from fl and she know nothing about beer , just a copper color beer thats a crisp taste but also some hits of hops taste ans carmel smmoth so drink another

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is crystal clear amber in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a short white head that died down, leaving some patches of bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Sweet aromas of toasted malts are present in the nose along with some hints of raisins.
T: The taste follows the smell and has flavors of toasted mats along with notes of sweetness and some hints of caramel and grassy hops.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer goes down easily and is pleasantly smooth. I wouldn't mind having another one of these.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

Can't believe I hadn't ever reviewed this! Great color and light beige head. Smells lightly of caramel and crisp yet not overpowering hops. Sweet caramel pops just before a bitter taming from the hops comes around. Smooth and slightly light mouthfeel. Finish is clean, no cloying sweetness in aftertaste. Great all around drinker for almost any situation and fantastic gateway beer for your macro friends.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

Hot damn, I can see why this has garnered a couple GABF medals. It holds a rich, deep malt character over a crisp dry body. It's deeply delicious and satisfying, and also oh so drinkable. The barley brings a sweet caramel note, with toasty bread crust, smooth husk, and a hint of fruit juice in the finish. Great beer, go find it.

had on tap at "The Pig" in DC
liked it.
wine like floral notes
would definitely try again

Thought that this was an ok beer. Nothing too much exciting about it--malt sweetness is about it, with muted flavors otherwise. However, it doesn't offend either, which is better than many beers. Very drinkable, with a low ABV, and if I ran into again, I would consider it. There is a place in the world for good, yet boring, beer.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

Not a lager fan, generally, but this is about as good as lager gets in my opinion.

I am on a work trip in VA, so I am devoted to drinking as many hard to find breweries as I can. Went to the Tap Room in Reston, and Shawn the bartender recommended this - he was reaching as the Loose Cannon was all gone. Anyways, had this since it was a low ABV. Need to be responsible. Especially since the next 3 beers may not be as kind. Anyways this beer was a little wispy. No head, golden amber color. Not a hop to be found. Crispy and wet. I will give it that. If there was a fire, I would immediately think to get this beer. My dislike has more to do with the vienna Lager style I think. This was just ok in my mind

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

A: Amber/golden color, wispy/weak head, clear
S: Oat dust, biscuit, honey, grass
M: Smooth, little coating
T: Clean, balanced beer with notes of grass, honey, wheat bread crust, and toasty-ness

2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

I wasn't terribly impressed with this beer. It pours a dark amber with a 1 " foamy head that dissipates VERY quickly to nothing. No real lacing left along the glass as you finish. Smell is malty, with a touch of sweetness, but nothing really stands out apart from the malt. There are slight hints of caramel, but overall the taste is VERY thin. Just not much to it. By the end of one, I was ready to try something else.

to view more.