Dark Abby - Devils Backbone Brewing Company

Devils Backbone Brewing Company visit their website
Virginia, United States

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: on 10-01-2009

Meet Abby, Azrael’s darker twin. This Belgian beauty is mysteriously alluring with a sultry flavor combination of brown sugar, plum and spices in a dark burgundy hue.

Abby has a deep, rich flavor, and a serious strength but like her sister, hides behind a deceptively light fruity finish. On the surface she’s the sweetest girl you’ll ever meet, but one taste you’ll be trapped in her darkly alluring web.

DARK ABBY FACTS:
Sugar & Spice: Turbinado Sugar, Sorghum Syrup, Secret Spice Mix
Reviews by Eeroomnhoj:
3.47/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I came home from work and saw I had one more of these in fridge, yeah for beer, so I cracked it open. Yum. I'm not sure what s meant by an aggressive pour, but it's going down fairly smooth.

Here's what I think I know about the beer. It isn't real foamy, which is a good thing. I suppose if I poured it into a glass there wouldn't be a lot of "head". It did taste a little spicy, but had some flavor to it. I would enjoy this beer more in the winter time when I prefer "heavier" things (red wine, the Old Testament, gravy, etc.). I would buy it again and would love to try it on tap.

I also don't think I would want to drink this as a session beer. One or two would be fine.

1.88/5  rDev -47.9%

Looking at previous reviews I think I got a bad batch, or maybe just this first bottle. Let's hope its just that.

Pours like a coke. Aggressive carbonation that dissipates quickly. About as much head as a soda. Mouth feel of a semi flat soda. Smell is pretty rotten. Taste isn't 'bad', its drinkable, I guess. Just a pretty disappointing Belgian. I will amend if the other bottles turn out better.

No date on the bottle.

After finishing the 6 pack I think my review has to stand. I had a couple that were OK, but 4/6 being unpleasant isn't good enough to change the review. Inconsistent? Bad processes? Bad distributor or Store? Who knows, but I'll steer clear of this brew for a while.

3.11/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours into a goblet an amber hued chesnut brown with a thinner slight off white head atop.Maybe the cleanest aroms of any dubbel that I have come across,some light fige and raisin but it's really light.Lightly carbonated and a little thinner than most of the style I have come across.Flavors are on the lighter side with dark fruit and sweet alcohol notes,some phenol spiciness plays a small role.I have really liked the other DB offerings I have had,this not so much.

3.15/5  rDev -12.7%

A- Deep garnet with just a thin ring of off-white bubbles for a head.

S- Surprisingly not much here. A touch of chocolate covered cherries and caramel malt.

T/M- Up front is lightly fruity with some cherry qualities. Middle and finish again show a light fruitiness and chocolate. Thin and undercarbonated throughout.

O- A surprisingly poor effort from DB. Not a lot here and the lack of body and carbonation makes it even more unimpressive.

3.96/5  rDev +9.7%

12oz brown bottle, sample from the brewery.

Loving this brew, looks like a Dubbel so we are squared away there. Sweet nose of dark malts, raisins, caramel, and spice with a kick of alcohol. Sweet palate, dried plums, slightly warming, balanced spicing, mild phenols, dark sugar, mild broth, & modest hopping show a quite complex brew ... well within the style and a great sipper.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

2.95/5  rDev -18.3%

4.2/5  rDev +16.3%

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

A- pours a dark chestnut color with a ruby hue, small fizzy head quickly dissapears, leaving no lace

S- dark cherry juice and sugared berry aromas, licorice, slightly phelonic with a bit of cherry coke

T- dark cherry flavors follow aroma and is slightly tart, sugary, Belgian yeast with some spicy notes, alcohol becomes noticeable mid-palate as it finishes light and dry.

M- medium body and carbonation, lively & foamy mouthfeel, alcohol warmth with a dry finish

O- some good flavors going on, but it seems to fall off at the end. I enjoyed the dark cherry notes, but wish they would have stayed to the finish

3.44/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.56/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

This is my new favorite. Spicing is fruity. Slightly punchier alcohol kick than expected.

3.82/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.84/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Deep ruby brown in the glass, light tan head that quickly turns into a ring...

S: Clove, banana, and raisins meld together with toffee. Belgian yeast character is certainly prevalent.

T: Raisins, clove, and caramel sauce on sweet dark bread.. A touch boozy, with a dark fruit finish.

M: Medium thick with medium high carbonation.. I would actually like to see a touch more carbonation in this style.

O: Overall a decent beer for when you are in the mood for a nice dark Belgian style.. Interesting, and new.

Dark Abby from Devils Backbone Brewing Company