2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Whitetail Ale - Hereford & Hops Restaurant & Brewpub

Whitetail Ale
No picture uploaded.

Hereford & Hops Restaurant & Brewpub
Wisconsin, United States

American Blonde Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Bighuge on 08-10-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 4 | Reviews: 4
Reviews by Newglarusguy:
Newglarusguy

Wisconsin

4.68/5  rDev +17.3%

This is a brewpub beer brewed in a restaurant in Wausau, WI, just off I-39 (H&H can also be found in Escanaba and Bay City, MI). If hunting season, the Hodag festival, or camping take you to the Northwoods of Wisconsin (or in my case, visiting in-laws), stop into this place. H&H is one of those grill-your-own steak joints with an incredible menu. Their steaks are huge portions for the price, their appetizers rock, and their staff is friendly (yes, I'll be sending them this review to try and get sponsorship). And above all, their beer is QUITE tasty, including the Whitetail Ale, their flagship beer (named after a type of deer that FIBs go to Wisconsin to try and hunt). In fact, I'm drinking it while I write this review. It's got a flowery aroma, a light hop presence, so it's not too overpowering, and a fruit flavor (but not strong or sour). All in all, a great ale. I only regret I didn't try this with my steak; instead, I got it in the 1 Pt 6 Oz to-go bottle (also available in growlers and kegs). Just as good, though.

02-15-2007 02:59:42 | More by Newglarusguy
KI9A

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%

A: Golden yellow, nice puffy head. On tap at the Wausau place.

S: Not much going on there. Maybe because of the smell of grilling meat in the air!

T: Citrusy light hops, a smaller malt backbone. Almost a slight corn taste.

M/D: Light, refreshing. Was able to turn a BMC buddy on to trying crafts with this. Decent enough for me to bring a couple bombers home to St. louis with me.

07-05-2008 13:56:02 | More by KI9A
ZAP

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%

Review update....decent enough but seems dumbed down more than I remember...very light bodied and almost watery mouthfeel...doughy bready notes have diminished...finishes with almost a lemony sournness...not bad...not great...drinkable..
---
8-10-06-

Three years have passed since I last tried this...this time I will give a go on dart..

An excellent American Blonde Ale..reminds me strongly of Town Halls...it has a real tasty doughy, bready almost helles lager like feel to it...It is an ale though and has a nice little fruity component to it...A lighter style brewpub golden that actually has some flavor to it...I'm glad I tried this as most places try to make this as unflavorfull as possible to capture the BMC crowd....this stands on its own...Would be a great brew while boating or hanging by the lake...

Much, Much better than the bottled offering I had three years ago..

Serving type: growler

05-04-2007 04:26:49 | More by ZAP
Bighuge

4.53/5  rDev +13.5%

Clear golden. Dirty white head leaves blotchy patches of lace. Fresh aroma of yeast, dough and fruit. A little lemon zest as well. Quite inviting. Great flavor. One of the best golden ales I've had. Great freshness. Great fruitiness. Great yeastiness. Esters are light, but present. A dab of dryness and hoppiness make this one of the best summer quenchers I've had in a long time. This is right up there with Town Hall's Golden Ale and that's good company.

Serving type: growler

08-10-2006 02:25:28 | More by Bighuge
Whitetail Ale from Hereford & Hops Restaurant & Brewpub
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.