Farm Girl Saison - Lift Bridge Brewery

pDev: 15%
Lift Bridge Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mothman on 12-13-2008)
3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured into a Pint Glass

Appearance - Cloudy, unfiltered golden straw color with a very fizzy head to it which quickly disappears.

Smell - Lemon, cloves, a slight hint of pepper, yeasts and barley. The smell itself is very earthy and grassy, almost like a blonde ale instead of a Saison.

Taste - Cloves, bananas, pepper, light lemon, biscuits/yeasts and grassiness. It tastes more like a Saison in the flavor fortunately and the flavor is alright.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. It feels very crisp and refreshing on the palate

Overall - It's okay for what it is. However if you want a truly excellent Saison ale, go with Surly CynicAle or Ommegang Hennepin

3.35/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from bottle to polak:

Pours a nice hazy honey gold with a finger of egg shell head and abundant beading. On the nose it's a little spicy, some orange zest, lemon, clove. The taste is refreshing with all the expected saison qualities. I wish this was amped up a bit, both in booze and clove/ester/citrus. The feel is medium with a dry finish. Overall, a bit better than what other reviews suggest but still has its flaws. Perfectly drinkable though.

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Served on-draught into a pilsner glass in Minnesota. Reviewed from notes. I didn't have any expectations. Not paired with food.

A: No head at all. Colour is a semitransparent gold.

Sm: Light bacteria, yeast, and barley. A mild strength aroma.

T: Light sourness/bacteria, a decently full barley foundation, and a milky note on the side. Not horribly complex, but pleasant and refreshing with a little something different.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but a touch sharp (overcarbonated?), and little too thick. Pretty suitable for the flavours.

Dr: Pretty drinkable, but a bit sharp. Affordable, but I still wouldn't get it again simply because it's mediocre.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

16 oz on tap into a pint glass.

A: Slightly yellow, nearly clear (colorless). Foamy head, not strong. Steady carbonation bubbles.

S:A little spicy malt & apple. Vague pineapple pineapple, honey, cardamom.

T: Fruit (banana) dominates the flavor profile. Spice profile from hops balances and comliments. Clove, pastry, and a tartness (citrus pith). Rough around the edges.

M: Rich and oily. Nearly perfect balance.

D: Sessionable but I don't like it enough to have too many. Maybe it's the style, maybe it's me...

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

This was my very first taste test of a categorical Saison type from a commercial/craft brewery. I expected the cloudy appearance and the very light watery mouth-feel because it was not on my predictions to get a grain-body weight coating on my tongue from an offering in this category. I had sampled home-brewed saisons from friends and it was quickly not a favorite of mine. I was instantly reminded of the Belgian ale category which is extremely loose and can spill over into lambics and krieks with sour notes. Though I scored a silver with my own homebrew in the Belgian Ale category I was never impressed with the category. While this probably excels in the saison category - it is far too fruity with distinctly sour notes for me to give marks higher than good or average. I prefer the IPA's and mostly the face slapping American IPA's.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Having never tried a Saison beer before, I was pleasantly surprised. I am no newbie to craft beers... just never bought a saison before. My buddy gave me a 6er of Farm Girl and I loved it. The smell and appearance initially didn't impress me. But when I tasted it, Wow.

Sort of reminded me of a light hefenweizen. Hints of orange and corriander. I didn't have to "chew" this like some heavy hefenweizens I have tried. The aftertaste is very pleasant. I would be happy to drink this one all summer and hoping I can get some more.

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Cloudy golden yellow with a tint of orange. Not many bubbles. Decent one finger white head fades into a patchy layer.

Smell: Belgian yeast and wheat with banana, cloves, and coriander spice. Hints of orange, apple, and lemon. Light scent of pepper.

Taste: Lots of yeast and wheat throughout with the coriander spice and pepper coming midway. A lot more pepper than was in the smell. Hints of citrus throughout. Finish is fairly dry with a strong kick of bananas.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a low amount of carbonation. Slightly watery.

Overall: This is a tasty and very easy drinking take on a Belgian Saison but it should of been fuller in the body.

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Bottle poured into my HOTD tulip glass.

A - Pours straw yellow with a decent one finger tall white head leaving small wisps of lacing down the glass.

S - Smells like a wheat beer to me. It has a few hints of apples, pears, and lemon but it is mostly just wheat.

T - Starts off with a big dose of chewy wheat slowly giving way to a mix of dulled fruits; similar to the nose; and a touch of light funk. Finish is pretty chewy, lingering for some time. Is this really a saison? Could have fooled me.

M - Light body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Chewy feel with a tiny bit of funk, lingering through the finish.

O - Meh, this was ok at best. It really didn't taste like a saison at all until it came completely to room temp. I wouldn't seek this one out.

3.78/5  rDev +5%

A - Macro-esque color with moderate cloudiness. Bone-white head builds up quickly and recedes to about 1/4 inch.

S - Yeast-heavy as to be expected. Very clovey. Citrus notes are mild, some coriander lingers.

T - A lot more spicy than the nose indicated. Very zesty, almost like a strong-brewed ginger ale. Doughy and peppery aftertaste.

M - Carbonation is pretty low, which leads to a very smooth, creamy, easy drinking brew

O - A pretty solid saison that sacrifices a little flavor in favor of approachability, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a clear glass mug. No decipherable freshness date. Received from my brother Greg -- thanks bro!

A: Soft, slightly hazy yellow with 1/2-1 finger of ivory head with good retention and a few formations of lace down the mug.

S: Nice saison aromas of pepper and lemony citrus, but it is a little off with some vanilla frosting notes too.

T: The flavor though is solid with none of the weird vanilla sweetness coming through in the flavor. Crisp tangy lemon and peppery flavor, ample pale maltiness with with a touch of Belgian yeast and spot-on dry finish.

M: Crispness and dryness is right on target with a staunch malt body.

O: I enjoyed this brew a lot, and if they can clean up the aroma to get rid of the sweet frosting note, they have a real winner that will appeal to a wide range of beer drinkers. A really nice summer brew.

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

A - pours a cloudy straw yellow with a small head

S - faint nose, but what is there is good - peppery lemon with hits of coriander

T - starts off lively with sweet lemon flavor and some grain malts. It fades to a bit coriander and some subtle bitter rind. Nice, light flavor profile. Pretty good but I think falls a little short of others in its company.

M - creamy and goes down smoothly

D - not a bad saison by any means, but I find this to be very middle of the road compared to others I have had. It was a nice treat for this afternoon. Thanks to KeefD for sending this Minnesota brew my way!

3.15/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured into my Schell's shaker pint, Farm Girl Saison is a fizzy yellow beer with a quickly dissipating white head leaving very light scattered lace.

Smell is grainy, sweet, fruity.

Taste is simple and strait forward, a touch of cereal but mostly Belgian esters, with the orange fairly obvious as well. More of a pseudo Belgian pale, lots of banana. Smooth, but not really a saison.

Mouthfeel is somewhat crisp and dry, but not as much as it should be, and it seems a bit thin.

Drinkability (just noticed they changed this to "overall", whatever) is ok, an inoffensive brew that goes down with ease, but nothing I'd bother revisiting.

Farm Girl Saison from Lift Bridge Brewery