Biscotti - Lift Bridge Brewery

Ratings: 79 | Reviews: 21
4.04/5  rDev +12.2%

Spicy bubblegum, Amber color. Slight vanilla odor

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

750ml brown glass bottle with foiled over pressure cap served into a Guinness goblet in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are fairly high.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger beige-khaki colour head of nice cream and thickness, and good retention. Body colour is a vibrant amber. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Cream, biscuit malt, pine, hints of citrus (maybe). An average strength aroma. No yeast or alcohol is detectable.

T: Nicely bretty in terms of yeast. Fairly malty and enjoyable. Little yeast character. Balanced and enjoyable, but a bit underwhelming in terms of complexity. I do like it, but it's lacking. Doesn't taste like biscotti much. A hint of white pepper.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Fairly carbonated. Thickness is good. Lacks sufficient presence on the palate. Complements the aroma pretty well.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable, but still features room for improvement. I'd have it again, but it's not fantastic for the style.

C+

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from 750 ml bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep and hazy copper amber orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. About two fingers of off white head that fades into a thin patchy layer. Decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell: An interesting mix of Belgian yeast and sweet caramel malts. Quite a bit of spices with hints of clove, anise, cinnamon, and ginger. Subtle aroma of fruits with hints of bananas and dark plums, figs, and raisins. Light hint of earthy hops. Kind of smells like a spiced barleywine.

Taste: A spicy and fruity blend. Belgian yeast and caramel malts up front are followed by a good mix of fruits. Hints of banana, cherry, figs, plums, and raisins. The other spices really come through towards the finish with notes of clove, cinnamon, ginger, and a quite noticeable kick of anise. Also some hints of vanilla and earthy hops. Flavors really come through stronger as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Crisp, juicy, and somewhat syrupy. Finishes fairly dry.

Overall: A pretty interesting and tasty experiment with a Belgian style. Th spices blend in well without overwhelming the subtle fruits.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

No freshness dating avalible

A= Pours a nice deep amber color with a pretty good looking off white head on it that stands a pretty two fingers and falls slowly leaving some decent lacing behind.

S= The smell is interesting. I get a lot of belgian yeasty spice in it and what I assume to be the grains of paradise. The anise and vanilla is lost in the jumble as I get none of that shining through. Well maybe if you dig deep you can get some vanilla.

T= The taste again is quite unique. Despite the off putting sound it actually tastes a little like biscotti. I personally hate biscotti but I think my hatred comes from the texture. The beer anyways deviates from the belgian spicey yeast flavor and moves more toward a delicate bready malt flavor with perhaps a touch of the anise coming through. I stress a touch of anise. The vanilla seems to be lost in the flavor jumble this time. The grains of paradise come through a bit I believe but then again I'm not too familiar with the ingridient. A really nice bready beer with a little extra punch is mostly what I'm pulling from it. It's acutally pretty refreshing I could see it on a spring or fall day anytime. Upon further examination the anise comes through more and more as you exhale. Be sure to let this one warm a little to let the flavors develop more. I'm finding as it warms I am better able to pull out some of the ingridients listed on the label.

M= Lighter on the mouth that I would have expected from anything with belgian yeast but it's surprisingly nice that it's a little light.

O= A surprisingly quality beer. I wasn't expecting much and have sort of been putting off trying it because it didn't sound great. I bought it because it was local and I will buy it again because it's good. Let this baby warm up a little for full enjoyment.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"1 pint 9.4 Fl. Oz." bottle into snifter. Enjoying at home after framing in a bedroom and eating some shrimp tacos. Pours a dark honey-amber flavor with 1.5 finger almost white head that settles but continues to exist.

Nose: Fig, dark cherries, cinnamon, raison, clove, ginger. Not a super potent nose.

Taste: Cherry, fig, bread, cinnamon, slight vanilla. Not overly pungent, and not overly dark.

Low carbonation with smooth mouthfeel and sweet and cloying finish. Overall this is probably the lightest Belgian Dark I've had. It was very drinkable but lacked carbonation and didn't have a very strong bouquet. Would drink again, but probably won't seek out.

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

Lift Bridge Biscotti, Belgian-style Ale, Edizione Limitata, ALC. 7% by VOL. 750 ml bottle. Ale brewed with honey, grains of paradise, Madagascar vanilla beans, and whole star anise.

Clear, amber hue, slim head, soon gone.

Sweet aromatics, bready, spicy. Some depth of flavor peeks through, but not a tremendous amount. I have to search for it, or, more likely, wait for it to unfold.
Nice, though, that's a fact.

Taste: ah! This is the stuff. The Belgian malt, the toasty/bready flavor, mixed up the touch of anise, vanilla and more.
Warm, and uniquely flavorful. What I missed in the nose is revealing itself in the mouth. Ripe, dark fruit sensations, as well. Texture grows on the palate, malt proving more palpable and luscious.

I like this one quite a bit, although it doesn't go as far as I'd like with flavor, for the price. Nonetheless, one of the best efforts from Lift Bridge.

3.04/5  rDev -15.6%

Time to pull this one out of the fridge. Lift Bridge has lifted their game recently, so I'm optimistic. But a cookie beer?

Pour is golden/amber & appears slightly unfiltered, though there are no boogies in the bottle bottom. Smell is untamed & festive as a Christmas kitchen: most of the spice rack & vanilla drown out whatever beer bouquet one might imagine. Not easy to get down, the spicing & yeast makes this difficult to drink more than six or eight ounces of. Nip bottles?

Biscotti doesn't regale the taste buds like it does the nose. Taste flattens & dulls the best of the nose. Vanilla takes on an off-brand quality, the spicing is aggressive without adding much, & the Belgian yeast is like dumping weird on top of muddled. Strong banana in the end-game, again, muddled with other, darker fruits.

This is like a Welch's Juice Concoction gone wrong. Not bad by any means, but more of a beer with too much going on in the bottle & nothing to bring it all together. Mediocre, odd, & not terribly satisfying.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks goes out to MBrausen for sending me this one for the sole purpose of being able to tick it! Served from bottle into a Duvel Meyers tulip. Poured a deep yellow-orange with a one finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount very slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, banana, clove, bread, and subtle alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, banana, clove, bread, fruit, subtle dark fruit, and very subtle alcohol. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a fairly decent brew. The aroma on this one really reminded me of a nice Belgian Pale Ale with a touch of alcohol. I really wish it would have been a little more complex than it was to keep the nose wondering what it was up to. The flavor however made up for this as it was quite nice and balanced and smooth. This fact made this brew quite easy to drink and enjoyable. Worthy of trying if you get the chance or just want to tick it.

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a standard clear pint glass.

Appearance: Deep clear golden/amber color with a one finger beige foam head. Foam faded quickly but left some sticky lacing behind.

Smell: Not much on the nose, some faint malts and a little spice...but both were very subdued.

Taste: At first it seemed very plain and malty, like a watered down wheat beer or scotch ale. But after it warmed to nearly room temperature, the flavors of the spices start to come out more and it has a unique wheaty and spicy flavor. It says to serve it at 50 degrees, so maybe we started with it too cold.

Mouth feel: Good medium body with crisp carbonation.

Overall: Drink this one served barely chilled or at room temps to get the most from the unique flavors. It's a decent and unique beer, but probably something I wouldn't seek out again. I'd drink it with no problem if someone offered one...after letting it warm up quite a bit first.

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Poured out a hazy, golden orange color with a one-finger, off white head of foam. It left some patchy lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of licorice/star anise with some bready notes and a touch of vanilla.

T - Very sweet up front with a bready malt character. Spicy with some anise flavor. The vanilla picks up as the beer warms.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - A truly unique beer. This gets better as it warms up and would make a fabulous dessert beer.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

on tap in 12oz glass

A- pours a clear golden amber color with a 1finger white head that recedes to a small this whispy cap no lacing

S- was fruit and bread with hint of yeast, vanilla and spices

T- had a light fruit taste more than dark fruit i got bananas and apples pears with some cherry and plum, nice spice in the middle with some clove, vanilla baked bread

M- was light on the palate and fruity/ spicy with low carbonation, some hop bitterness

O-tasted like a golden ale to me on tap it was pretty good i have a bottle yet to open.try this one on tap if can

3.35/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a deep orange color with brownish hints. Very thin head and no lacing so that is a bummer.

S - Given the description on the bottle, I was hoping for more - the Belgian notes start to come out a bit more as the beer warms but overall I didn't get much from it - some faint sweet toffee aroma along with some dried fruit but I had to really work at getting that.

T - A bit better than the smell but still somewhat lacking. I picked up the vanilla flavor more here than in the aroma. Definitely a Belgian-style with the flavor (somewhat spicy) but again not as bold as I was hoping for.

M - Thicker than I expected (which I appreciated), leaning a bit towards the syrupy side but not overly thick. Dry finish

O - My experiences with Lift Bridge brews have been hit and miss. I love the Saison but was not impressed with the Crosscut Ale. The Biscotti falls more towards the Crosscut - not a bad beer but not something I need to have again.

3.22/5  rDev -10.6%

being some what of a foodie, I was excited to try this beer. I had their Commander Barleywine and was amazed, and was hoping for some of the same quality in this brew. I didnt get it.
poured from bomber into tulip.
A- coppery in color, very thin head, with very little lacing. The lacing doesnt last between sips.
S- was too cold at first and I smelled absolutely nothing. Once it warmed up a bit, it started to open up. Can smell small hints of the vanilla, with a small hint of sweetness.
T - as with the smell, it had to warm up quite a bit to even get any of the tastes depicted on the bottle. Not impressed, solid made brew, just what was listed on the bottlle was not much in the taste.
M- very easy to drink, goes down easy with very little alcohol taste.
O - a solid made beer, just was not getting the tastes out of the beer described on the bottle. Really wished there was more vanilla and anise flavor.

3.67/5  rDev +1.9%

Light copper color with just over one finger of head that settled quickly to a thin cap. Just light lacing is left on the glass.

Smells enticing. The Belgian yeast and added spices do their best to win me over. Some dark fruit and vanilla as well. More estery with phenols just starting to peak through.

But those phenols, something that dominates almost every American attempt of Belgian styles, takes over. The honey attempts to add some sweetness. There is a battle for the tastebuds going on with the fruity and the spicy. It just seems muddled. Some good flavors but I am just not a fan of the phenols.

Good body and nicely carbonated. A good job with the bottle conditioning.

A good effort but not as good as it should be. Definately worth trying and my first since they moved brewing to their home location.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Snifter.

Appearance: Orangish-red with nice off-white head and some lacing.

Smell: Sweet, fruity (cherry, plum, banana), boozy, and spicy (clove, cardamon). Some light mead-like characteristics.

Taste: More muted than the aroma and not as sweet. There are a lot of fruity notes (notably cherry and plum) with strong toasted malts, honey, and lemon pepper from the Grains of Paradise. Some very light Belgian yeast flavors. There are a lot of flavors going on here, but it is all a little muddled other than the Grains of Paradise.

Feel: Thick, full body that is somewhat chalky. Pretty dry throughout.

Overall: Pretty good, but could certainly use some tweaking to make the flavors stand out more.

3.37/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured a 2011 bottle into a large snifter.

Poured a hazy orange body with a light tan one inch head. Head faded slowly with a bit of sticky lacing.

Was super excited byt the smell of this beer. Lots of good toasty biscuity malt with a pleasant sweet and spicy yeast charachter.

Taste was a bit dissapointing. It was overly yeast forward to the point where the malt and specialty grains/spices were next imperceptable. Was hoping for a bit more malt forward flavor with more obvious honey/anise.

Mouthfeel was ok but i thought a bit syrupy.

2.66/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours out a nice ruby-red in color with a huge, three-finger, white head with good retention.

Smell is some nice sweet caremal malts, maybe a LITTLE banana, an really nothing else I cn smell.
Taste is a little sweet too be sure with some strange funk. Not funk in the Belgian sense but just funky and not really good tasting. Mouthfeel is nice and full. Overall not a beer I would suggest or buy again. I think they did well with their spices in the Commander. I think they tried and hoped to repeat the awesomeness that was the commander with different spices. Really just didn't work. However GLAD I have a commander downstairs. Good brewery in it's infancy I think.

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours out a peach hued copper color with a short head of tan foam that is very bubbly looking. Kind of a weird looking head. Leaves some sticky lacing however.

The nose gives some bubblegum with a bit of biscuit. Not much more than that going on.

Really not a whole lot going on in the flavor. Belgian yeast, some hop bitterness and bubblegum. Biscotti cookie? Uh, not getting it at all. Really just tastes like a straight up simple belgian ale. Some spicy yeast in the finish. Where is the vanilla and star anise?

Very dry with some prickly carbonation. Medium bodied.

I actually don't think this drinks that well. Really dry and the flavor is kind of one dimensional and boring to me. I had higher hopes especially after The Commander, but this just is not worth the $10/bottle price tag at all. Not a bad beer, just didn't do anything for me really.

1.98/5  rDev -45%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Had this at the release last night.

Pours a butterscotch color. Very little head if any. Smell was mostly bread. Very muted on the nose. Pretty much zero carbonation. Tasted like a firkin beer from out of the bottle. Dead leaves. Just gross.

I was being kind and finished my 3oz pour at the party. Anywhere else that would have been a drain pour. Hopefully that was a fluke. I had it on tap once before and it was much better that time.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Consumed on 1/7/09

Served on tap. Poured into a 10oz snifter with a little white head that dissipated instantly. Had a spicy and malty aroma with a taste that pretty much fit the aroma add vanilla. The mouthfeel was medium and smooth which eluded to a high drinkability factor. Another great introductory offering from Lift Bridge. And although it doesn't taste as much like biscotti as I had hoped, it's still good enough to just keep on drinking.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

I heard this was coming out so I had to give it a try. So I made my way to Stub and Herb to give it a shot.

When I was growing up, my Italian grandmother had this wonderful holiday Biscotti she would make every year. I was young so I enjoyed dipping it in milk (rather than coffee or something else). When I heard Lift Bridge was coming out with a beer to mimic the recipe of Biscotti, I had to give it a try.

Let me preface this by saying I haven't had Biscotti in years (maybe a decade). So when I say "I don't really see it" that may just be me not remembering what Biscotti tastes like. But really, I couldn't imagine it would be easy to make a beer that reminded you of Biscotti, so I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised. I guess if I dig deep, I can see some similarities, but it's not going to hit you "Oh boy thats liquid Biscotti in a beer!"

The beer itself is a hazy copper color. Smells and tastes very spicy and malty. There is a vanilla taste (really the only thing I can compare to actual Biscotti) as well as a hop bitterness that is present and in no way overpowering. Very well balanced.

Just because this beer didn't remind me immediately of Biscotti doesn't mean it isn't a great beer. Because it is! I really liked it, actually.

to view more.