Biscotti - Lift Bridge Brewery

good

Lift Bridge Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Belgian Dark Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Mistofminn on 01-12-2009)

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

4.36/5  rDev +20.8%

4.22/5  rDev +16.9%

I heard this was coming out so I had to give it a try. So I made my way to Stub and Herb to give it a shot.

When I was growing up, my Italian grandmother had this wonderful holiday Biscotti she would make every year. I was young so I enjoyed dipping it in milk (rather than coffee or something else). When I heard Lift Bridge was coming out with a beer to mimic the recipe of Biscotti, I had to give it a try.

Let me preface this by saying I haven't had Biscotti in years (maybe a decade). So when I say "I don't really see it" that may just be me not remembering what Biscotti tastes like. But really, I couldn't imagine it would be easy to make a beer that reminded you of Biscotti, so I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised. I guess if I dig deep, I can see some similarities, but it's not going to hit you "Oh boy thats liquid Biscotti in a beer!"

The beer itself is a hazy copper color. Smells and tastes very spicy and malty. There is a vanilla taste (really the only thing I can compare to actual Biscotti) as well as a hop bitterness that is present and in no way overpowering. Very well balanced.

Just because this beer didn't remind me immediately of Biscotti doesn't mean it isn't a great beer. Because it is! I really liked it, actually.

4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

Consumed on 1/7/09

Served on tap. Poured into a 10oz snifter with a little white head that dissipated instantly. Had a spicy and malty aroma with a taste that pretty much fit the aroma add vanilla. The mouthfeel was medium and smooth which eluded to a high drinkability factor. Another great introductory offering from Lift Bridge. And although it doesn't taste as much like biscotti as I had hoped, it's still good enough to just keep on drinking.

3.93/5  rDev +8.9%

Lift Bridge Biscotti, Belgian-style Ale, Edizione Limitata, ALC. 7% by VOL. 750 ml bottle. Ale brewed with honey, grains of paradise, Madagascar vanilla beans, and whole star anise.

Clear, amber hue, slim head, soon gone.

Sweet aromatics, bready, spicy. Some depth of flavor peeks through, but not a tremendous amount. I have to search for it, or, more likely, wait for it to unfold.
Nice, though, that's a fact.

Taste: ah! This is the stuff. The Belgian malt, the toasty/bready flavor, mixed up the touch of anise, vanilla and more.
Warm, and uniquely flavorful. What I missed in the nose is revealing itself in the mouth. Ripe, dark fruit sensations, as well. Texture grows on the palate, malt proving more palpable and luscious.

I like this one quite a bit, although it doesn't go as far as I'd like with flavor, for the price. Nonetheless, one of the best efforts from Lift Bridge.

3.9/5  rDev +8%

Poured from 750 ml bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep and hazy copper amber orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. About two fingers of off white head that fades into a thin patchy layer. Decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell: An interesting mix of Belgian yeast and sweet caramel malts. Quite a bit of spices with hints of clove, anise, cinnamon, and ginger. Subtle aroma of fruits with hints of bananas and dark plums, figs, and raisins. Light hint of earthy hops. Kind of smells like a spiced barleywine.

Taste: A spicy and fruity blend. Belgian yeast and caramel malts up front are followed by a good mix of fruits. Hints of banana, cherry, figs, plums, and raisins. The other spices really come through towards the finish with notes of clove, cinnamon, ginger, and a quite noticeable kick of anise. Also some hints of vanilla and earthy hops. Flavors really come through stronger as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Crisp, juicy, and somewhat syrupy. Finishes fairly dry.

Overall: A pretty interesting and tasty experiment with a Belgian style. Th spices blend in well without overwhelming the subtle fruits.

3.9/5  rDev +8%

No freshness dating avalible

A= Pours a nice deep amber color with a pretty good looking off white head on it that stands a pretty two fingers and falls slowly leaving some decent lacing behind.

S= The smell is interesting. I get a lot of belgian yeasty spice in it and what I assume to be the grains of paradise. The anise and vanilla is lost in the jumble as I get none of that shining through. Well maybe if you dig deep you can get some vanilla.

T= The taste again is quite unique. Despite the off putting sound it actually tastes a little like biscotti. I personally hate biscotti but I think my hatred comes from the texture. The beer anyways deviates from the belgian spicey yeast flavor and moves more toward a delicate bready malt flavor with perhaps a touch of the anise coming through. I stress a touch of anise. The vanilla seems to be lost in the flavor jumble this time. The grains of paradise come through a bit I believe but then again I'm not too familiar with the ingridient. A really nice bready beer with a little extra punch is mostly what I'm pulling from it. It's acutally pretty refreshing I could see it on a spring or fall day anytime. Upon further examination the anise comes through more and more as you exhale. Be sure to let this one warm a little to let the flavors develop more. I'm finding as it warms I am better able to pull out some of the ingridients listed on the label.

M= Lighter on the mouth that I would have expected from anything with belgian yeast but it's surprisingly nice that it's a little light.

O= A surprisingly quality beer. I wasn't expecting much and have sort of been putting off trying it because it didn't sound great. I bought it because it was local and I will buy it again because it's good. Let this baby warm up a little for full enjoyment.

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

A - Poured out a hazy, golden orange color with a one-finger, off white head of foam. It left some patchy lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of licorice/star anise with some bready notes and a touch of vanilla.

T - Very sweet up front with a bready malt character. Spicy with some anise flavor. The vanilla picks up as the beer warms.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - A truly unique beer. This gets better as it warms up and would make a fabulous dessert beer.

3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

on tap in 12oz glass

A- pours a clear golden amber color with a 1finger white head that recedes to a small this whispy cap no lacing

S- was fruit and bread with hint of yeast, vanilla and spices

T- had a light fruit taste more than dark fruit i got bananas and apples pears with some cherry and plum, nice spice in the middle with some clove, vanilla baked bread

M- was light on the palate and fruity/ spicy with low carbonation, some hop bitterness

O-tasted like a golden ale to me on tap it was pretty good i have a bottle yet to open.try this one on tap if can

Biscotti from Lift Bridge Brewery