MN Tan - Lift Bridge Brewery

Beer added by: mothman on 06-22-2009

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

1.25/5  rDev -66%

3.82/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Pours a hazy orange brown with very little head, though it maintains a collar. Small spots of lacing are left behind.

S - Tart fruit is prominent in the aroma, along with some Belgian yeast and a bit of banana, spice and bread.

T - Interesting. Again, lots of tart fruit that I am assuming is lingonberry. Also a bit of lemon and banana, with Belgian yeast, bread and faint spice. Definitely a twist on the traditional triple, but actually pretty tasty.

M - Medium mouthfeel with a nice, dry tartness and a faintly earthy finish.

O - The tartness really made this enjoyable on a hot day. I don't know that I would seek this out, but it is a nice twist on the style and I'm glad I tried it.

12 oz. bottle courtesy of Yamar68, pours a cloudy golden orange color with a small white head that quickly recedes to a small white ring, tiny bubble lacing.

Smell is immediate citrus, lemony, yeast, spicy.

Tastes tart up front (lingonberries?), sweet tart berry, some toasty bread, slight maltiness to balance the tartness, not picking up any alcohol for an 8.5%

Mouthfeel is tart dryness with a silky finish, medium bodied, crisp bite.

Overall really digging this, out of the Belgian Tripels I've had, this one is right at the top…better than I could have imagined. This is a must try. Thanks again Bennett!

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from bottle to pokal:

Pours a bright, glowing gold with constant beading. A short lived white head swells briefly with the pour, sinking back to a thin cap.

Lots of smooth, fresh tartness. Sour grapes, yeast and clean grain.

Very unique beer. Sort of drinks like a berry infused Belgian golden. Unavoidable tart finish.

Nice summer beer. Much enjoyed this one.

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Poured a golden orange color with a pinkish hue to it. There is about a quarter inch of head that disappears quickly leaving a trace of lace around the edge of the glass and top of the beer

S: Sweet berry aroma, banana, tart aroma with breadiness and yeastiness

T: sweet berry flavor with breadiness and tartness

m: medium bodied beer with good carbonation

overall, I really enjoyed this brew. Another good beer from Liftbridge!

3.96/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a clear glass mug. No freshness date. Received as a 20+ beer haul from my brother Greg.

A: A light tinge of pink but mainly a tripel look with thin but steady off-white head and some lace streamers.

S: Strong aroma of tart berries with stout pale maltiness and a mild amount of herbal hoppiness.

T: I really wish this beer was without the lingonberries as I think this would be a stellar tripel without it. The lush pale maltiness is delicious, but the tart berry flavor provides accent to the flavor profile. I think, though, that this brew would be better off without the berries as the tripel base is superb with a complex and delicious Belgian pale maltiness that has he right body and feel. The herbal and light citrus feel of the hops is perfect for a dyed-in-the-wool tripel.

M: The body is medium-full and spot-on for the base tripel style.

O: I would love to try this beer as the base tripel -- I think the berries detract more than help. I honestly think Lift Bridge would be better off with bottling the base tripel and going berry-free. Still, this shows that Lift Bridge has their eyes on the prize. A nice beer with a good chance to be an up-and-coming brewery and parlay a really special beer into many more excellent brews.

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%

Nose on this is quite “socky” like cheap champagne.

The color was very reminiscent of a New Glarus - Spotted Cow. Little, then no head retention with a slight haze in it’s golden & pinkish body.

I started this tasting with very little enthusiasm, but as I drank it unveiled itself to me. Tangy with a boozy tart berry flavor. I never ended up in love, but I was temporarily satisfied nonetheless.

By the time I was finished with just one bottle I was tipsy and a bit flushed. I guess that’s why they call it a Minnesota Tan - because those of us northerners of northern-european decent don’t go brown - we take on various shades of pink & red.

MN Tan from Lift Bridge Brewery