Upslope India Pale Ale - Upslope Brewing Company - Lee Hill

good

Upslope Brewing Company - Lee Hill visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: rowew on 12-07-2008

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 316 | Reviews: 107
3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

UpSlope IPA was a red-amber in my pint glass with a thin white head. The head dissipated to whips fast but did leave nice lacing on the glass for the drink. The nose was packed with floral hops and was crisp and clean. The taste followed the nose well and presented a clean hop burst on the to the that meshed nicely with a slightly sweet but not sticky aftertaste. This was very good IPA that I considered above average. It's a good bet for IPA fans bu won't overpower the new-to-micro beer fan, either. A good choice and a nice IPA!

4.15/5  rDev +13.4%

A- Pours a clear amber-brown with a bubbly finger of off-white head, lots of tiny suspensions are also visible, head is pretty solid and lingers for a while

S- A mix of pine and floral hop aroma, strong malt component as well, both sweet and roasted

T- Strong roasted malt flavor with a slight sweetness, almost reminds me of a brown, moderate to strong bitter hops throughout that builds in the middle then falls off a bit, aftertaste of bitterness on the back of the palate, slightly warming and light malt finish

M- Moderate carbonation and body, slightly warming, a touch of dryness

O- Kind of liking the brown element, nice roasted flavors and a good balance of malt for the high level of hop bitterness, pretty easy drinking for a 7+%, solid in my book and something I'd recommend to try

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

3.59/5  rDev -1.9%

APPEARANCE: Lighter copper in color, the head is about 3/4 of an inch thick. Bubbles race to the top from front to back and left to right. Retention is decent and lacing is solid.

SMELL: Some pineyness is there along with more malt than I would typically expect from an IPA, but the nose is weak. Even while the head is still in full effect there is not much aroma.

TASTE: This is a nice, malty IPA. In fact, it is amazingly malty for the style and tastes a little more Barleywine-ish than IPA-ish. Banana and clove cut through a caramel and malty base. Some hops work their way in, but the Upslope IPA remains on the sweet side for the entire sip.

MOUTHFEEL: Big, rich and creamy. There is a slight sparkle, but it still goes down very smooth.

OVERALL: This is a very interesting take on an IPA. I am drinking this directly after drinking a Bigfoot Barleywine from Sierra Nevada and it tastes surprisingly similar.

3.66/5  rDev 0%

Like another reviewer I like in CO and wanted to try another IPA from Colorado to see how it compares. Bought a 6-pack cans poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: dark carmel color, white head. I felt it left a nice lacing on my glass the entire time. Good carbonation.

Smell: More malty and citrus smells then a normal IPA I'm used too. Hops are there, just not as strong.

Taste: Again the malty-ness is there, but the hops seem to finish it off on the palate. Not to dry, which I found great. The hops aren't to strong that they make it over powering and undrinkable. I think that this is a very drinkable IPA with an excellent after taste.

Overall: Pretty solid IPA. Not a ton of hop flavor. So hop-heads I'm sorry for an IPA you won't get it. But I think a very drinkable IPA and another good Colorado brew.

2.08/5  rDev -43.2%

My man kiddwhiz hooked up a can of this - thanks man. The date on the bottom of the can was illegible so I can't verify freshness. The aroma of the beer was weaker than average for an American IPA: some citrus, pine, spice, and malt. Nothing to write home about. The taste is similarly off with lots of biscuit and bready flavors with barely any hop bitterness or character. Some citrus and floral hop qualities but very minor. The most dominant character is the alcohol which isn't hidden at all and makes the beer seem stronger than it really is. I also found the beer extremely over carbonated. Overall, I don't know if this can was old or not cared for but it was not good. I ended up dumping the beer. I have had similar reactions to all of the Upslope beers I've tried so perhaps it isn't a freshness problem?

Serving type: can

Reviewed on: 03-11-2011 15:07:56

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

Upslope IPA: I like to support Colorado breweries, and since I live in Denver, hopefully the local stuff will be fresher. So I was glad to discover the Upslope brewery in Boulder. There is lots of competition in the Colorado IPA category, but let’s see how Upslope fares. The Upslope IPA is a dark caramel color, clear, with very little carbonation. The head is sparse, but still left a nice lacing on my glass. Aroma is basically not present. A big malt sweetness meets your palate, too big. Then the Patagonia hops do not make a showing to help balance the malt. There is a bitter to the aftertaste. My summary is that the Upslope IPA is a good and drinkable beer, but a signature IPA it is not. It feels more like an English ale to me. And it is not on par with the many fine IPA’s that are brewed on the Colorado Front Range, but that is tough competition for any IPA.

3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

12 oz can was poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: The beer poured a one finger head that has reduced to a thin layer and left some nice lacing on the glass. A nice reddish/brown color with great clarity and slight signs of carbonation coming up through the center of the glass.

Smell: All I could get is sweet caramel and bready malts. Floral, pine, and citrus aromas are barely even noticeable.

Taste: This is a veyr funky array of flavors. Sweet and bready malts, but then I get this mocha and chocolate flavor. I get some citrus and pine, but this mocha flavor is killing it. A. very weird off flavor. Ugh. I have taken several more sips and drank some water to no prevail.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium carbonation, chewy in a strange way, not the easiest thing to put down.

Overall: I am a little dissapointed about this beer, what started off great, ended up going downslope quickly. I would still be willing to give this beer another time when we go to Denver or have our friend bring some back in her suitcase just like we did.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

a fine ipa here. pours quite dark for what it is supposed to be, copper colored with a one inch white lace head. smells very malty for an ipa too, but with the expected resiny hop aromas as well. taste is huge, really round flavors. certainly is more malt driven for an ipa, which works well here. simple flavors in perfect harmony. mouthfeel is nice, full bodied and thick, a fairly heavy drink. strong abv is needed here. this is one of the better colorado india pales ive had here. could definitely put a few of these down

4.22/5  rDev +15.3%

A: Dark copper pour with a good, white head. Leaves behind a good amount of lacing.

S: As with any good IPA, the hops dominate. There's an earthy scent to it as well as some malty sweetness. Very pleasant.

T: The hops are at the forefront in the taste. Transitions a little bit into a secondary malt flavor. Bitterness lingers through the sip and returns upon the swallow.

M: Surprisingly crisp, well balanced for an IPA. Not too heavy, not too light, very much a medium-bodied feel. Quite drinkable.

Definitely one of the better IPAs I've had. A very good beer from a very good brewery.

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Rich garnet color with a nice lacing. taste is rich with malt and hops. Hint of cereal grains with a touch of malty sweetness to counter balance the bitterness.
Crip dry finish with a hint of lingering cling dankess from the hops. Leaves a slight warming on the palate.

4.42/5  rDev +20.8%

I was really surprised at how good this was since I was told, quite a while ago, that it wasn't really a west coast IPA with loads of fresh hops.

Well, on tap at the Upslope tap room, it is definitely loaded with
fresh hops!

Huge lacing from rim to bottom, a deep amber color.

Great hoppy freshness.
The fresh hops, the high abv and a little malty complexity
really make this special.

Very drinkable.
Really, just should not be missed on tap (disclaimer: I have not
tried it from the can....yet)
Did I mention how fresh the hops smelled and tasted?

4.5/5  rDev +23%

A- Dark copper with one and half fingers head. nice lacing after head dies

S- more malt up front than hops but can note their presence. nice balance

T- AWESOME! One of the most balanced IPA's on the market. Great hop taste of the ipa with great smooth malt backbone to slow the bitter down with each sip.

M- somewhat thick but slick at the same time. not oily at all. very drinkable for the 7.2 ABV

O- Top three IPA for colorado ales. Top ten Nation wide IMO. Great buy for $9 after tax for a sixer. A go to at all times for me being so close to Boulder. anyone that has not tried this is missing a great beer that does not get a lot of cred on this site or even outside the boulder area.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Upslope India Pale Ale from Upslope Brewing Company - Lee Hill