Great Crescent Witbier - Great Crescent Brewery

Great Crescent WitbierGreat Crescent Witbier

Great Crescent Brewery visit their website
Indiana, United States

Witbier |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-30-2008)
3.46/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

16 ounce can, labeled as Belgian Style Wit. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a hazy gold color with about a half inch white head. Head retention is decent, but not much lacing at all. The brew smells like coriander, orange peel, and some wheat. Taste is pretty much the same as the aroma, except for the addition of a bit of peppery spice. Mouthfeel/body is medium, seems heavier than I thought it would be. It's a bit coating with low/moderate carbonation. Not a bad brew at all. Worth a try if you can find a single can of this somewhere.

3.23/5  rDev 0%

I have had this CAN in my reefer for so long that I CANnot remember who sent it to me in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM), but today seemed like a good time to make the Crack & Glug happen.

From the CAN: "Great Crescent Brewery is located on a sweeping curve of the Ohio River. Our brewery is rooted in an area founded by folks of a pioneering spirit, who forged new lives in the rich wilderness. We promise to embrace the best of these qualities in our deeds and in our hand-crafted beers, which will always be authentic, down-to-earth and full of life. Thank you for buying our beer. [undersigned] Dan & Lani Valas".

How very curious! My CAN has it labeled as "Belgian Style Wit", while the only other review is likewise from a CAN and yet the pic is of a growler. Weird.

The Crack revealed that they do not always fill their CANs to the brim, which is actually good and the Glug produced nearly two fingers of fluffy, fizzy, foamy bone-white head with decent retention. Color was a deep-gold with just a hint of haze, but still much clearer than I would expect from a Wit. Nose was very fruity, like fruit cocktail, but if I had to quantify it, bananas were big, followed by grapes, apples, and pears along with a mustiness and a slight peppery scent. Mouthfeel was medium and it was just as fruity in the mouth as it had been on the nose. The finish was where I got a peppery bite initially, followed by a mustiness that lingered well after the swallow. It was okay, but a) it is not my style and b) this seemed a little weak.

4.22/5  rDev +30.7%

Pour - cloudy, pale orangish-yellow in appearance with a half inch or so of stark white head. Suspended bubbles and a glowing opaqueness make this a very nice beer to behold. A bit of a mystery that draws one in...

Aroma - spicy, sweet, pears, green apple, soap, lilac and some cloves. Very aromatic and just about worthy of an incense of perfume. Love the way this beer smells.

Taste - immediately this is soft on the palate with subtle fruit flavors like pears, apples, melon and grapes along with a bit of spiciness from the coriander. This definitely has a subdued clove flavor and a nice, mellow sweetness. Nothing overpowering whatsoever, just a very easy drinking and very refreshing beer.

Overall - considering this is a style without much to hide behind we really enjoyed this and freshness and quality is top notch. Not knowing much about Great Crescent I'd say we're off to a very good start and those other beers in the fridge don't have much time left...

Would I buy more of it? - yes. Excellent beer with lots of great flavors and perfect for a warm summer night - like this one! Cheers!

Great Crescent Witbier from Great Crescent Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.