1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Great Cresent IPA - Great Crescent Brewery

Great Cresent IPAGreat Cresent IPA

good

Great Crescent Brewery visit their website
Indiana, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: oracle on 09-11-2009)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 23 | Reviews: 17 | Show All Ratings:
chaz01

3.53/5  rDev +2%

Growler purchased directly from brewery. Brewer suggested that the growler's keep longer than most as long as you don't open it as they have a process that removes excess air. I'd concur as I've had mine over a month and still had excellent carbonation.

A: Cloudy copper amber color with a nice foamy head.

S: Faint levels of floral and grassy notes in the beer.

T: Not the hoppy bitterness that I would expect, but very smooth and strong taste of citrus, pine with some grass and hay notes.

M: Good carbonation as mentioned above. Medium mouthfeel with a lingering finish of pine and grassy earth notes.

D: Very smooth and refreshing and easy to drink. Goes down nicely on a hot summer day. Not the real hoppy American IPA some would expect, but rather more mild and gentle hop profile.

09-07-2010 01:35:53 | More by chaz01
thistle3189

4.35/5  rDev +25.7%

A: Pours with a copper hue, good head with ok retention and good lacing
S: Some hopps come through but not a big nose.
T: Very good - nice level of hoppiness; not a big IPA actually the brewer says that it is an English IPA, not American. It is very flavorful but still refreshing
M: smooth and balanced body with just enough carbonation.
D: Vary drinkable. My wife realy likes it as well. I am sadly looking at this empty growler, and looking forward to the other growler that we purchased and a future trip to the brewery.

11-15-2009 22:31:45 | More by thistle3189
oracle

4.3/5  rDev +24.3%

I purchased this in a pre-sealed growler from Keg Liquors in Clarksville, Indiana with some trepidation. I've not had good experiences with pre-filled growlers, as they usually seem to sit around too long to retain any carbonation, even when filled with a counter-pressure filler (as I was told these were).

But I was very pleasant surprised. The beer poured a medium amber with a decent head. No lacing was observed.

Right away, I was able to determine, this is not your typical american IPA. The aroma was much more floral, with less citrus than would be typical. I think I detected Glacier and some other hop in the nose.

Flavor was pretty good, with a nice medium hop bit, very little malty sweetness and a fairly dry finish.

If this is a typical example of their brewing prowess, I look forward to getting over to the brewery and meet them.

09-11-2009 17:52:46 | More by oracle
Kasabear

3.94/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance is golden with a good head that lasts the whole pint.
Smell is malts and plenty of hops. Also a Carmel comes through.
Taste is great as all three of the smells come through. Not too bitter, yet hoppy.
Mouthfeel is outstanding as the carbonation is simply perfect. Very easy to drink this beer. Every drink calls for another, and the next one is just as good.
I would recommend this beer.

03-03-2014 01:27:46 | More by Kasabear
barczar

3.05/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazy copper brown color with a moderate cream great that leaves light lacing.

Aroma is doughy, caramel malt, slightly nutty, but without much evidence of hops. There's a hint of earthy hops.

Flavor is a bit offputting, tangy, metallic, not reminiscent of quality hops. Herbal tea notes, earthy hops, lemon, and bready malt backbone are present, ending slightly bitter and soapy. As it wayne, roasted, slightly astringent malt surfaces.

Body is moderate, with fairly low carbonation, ending somewhat astringent.

Overall, a lackluster brew that has some issues, possibly with old hops. There's an off tangy flavor I can't approve of. Definitely closer to an english ipa than american, but not a good example.

07-21-2012 23:55:36 | More by barczar
woodychandler

3.28/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have had this CAN in my reefer for so long that I CANnot remember who sent it to me in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM), but today being New Beer Sunday (NBS Week 379), this seemed like a good time to make the Crack & Glug happen.

From the CAN: "Great Crescent Brewery is located on a sweeping curve of the Ohio River. Our brewery is rooted in an area founded by folks of a pioneering spirit, who forged new lives in the rich wilderness. We promise to embrace the best of these qualities in our deeds and in our hand-crafted beers, which will always be authentic, down-to-earth and full of life. Thank you for buying our beer. [undersigned] Dan & Lani Valas".

The Crack & Glug revealed a beer foaming to get out from the CANstraints of its packaging! As such, a quick pour was in order to keep the countertop from being the recipient of the liquid and not my glass. As you might imagine, the head was massive - two plus fingers of dense, tawny foam with excellent retention. Color was a deep amber with initially NE-quality clarity until I got toward the bottom of the CAN and inadvertently poured some lees. This was definitely an English IPA, given the malty nose, like caramel, up front, underlain by minty hops. Mouthfeel was medium and it had a sharpness to its taste that reminded me of cheese. I am not sure how I feel about that since it was not totally off-puttling, plus it may have been attributable to my inadvertant aging. Finish did not follow through with this taste, however, getting more of a flowery quality to it. It was decent and I am not going to dun it too severely as it may have been partly my fault, but I have had better, both in terms of style and from them in CANs.

05-27-2012 15:48:40 | More by woodychandler
Bierguy5

3.05/5  rDev -11.8%

16 oz tall boy can! No date or abv listed. Slightly hazy, darker copper color. Seems to be a good amount of carbonation as I pour. White fluffy head holds together rather well, eventually leaving some impressive lace.

Caramel malt is present in the nose. Searching for some hop aroma, but not finding much. Some herbal and earthy notes in the distance. A bit of a mineral-like feel.

Good amount of caramel sweetness up front. A hint of jucy fruit, and some stonefruit. Earthy bitterness, with a hint of citrus. A mineral feel near the finish.

Medium body, and a good amount of carbonation, for an almost fluffy feel. Alcohol is hidden well. The sweetness up front sort of ruins this for me. Some nice fruity notes help to salvage.

03-29-2012 23:05:03 | More by Bierguy5
indiapaleale

2.95/5  rDev -14.7%

Pour - great looking orange to peach colored IPA. Head resembles pancake batter and leaves some ridiculously thick lacing inside the glass. Very good looking beer coming out of this can.

Aroma - citrus along with some Christmas tree pine aromas that sort of lean towards being astringent and soapy smelling. Not a whole lot of malt sweetness detected in the nose. This almost has the aroma of plastic a bit. Hmm...

Taste - first taste and I get some more of that astringent bitter flavor. It reminds me of pine but perhaps a bit more than I'm used to tasting in an IPA. Some malt backbone comes into play but this lacks much in the way of hop flavor. The flavor profile of this particular India Pale Ale leaves me scratching my head and tapping the glass.

Overall - not overly impressed by this one. I can't help but feel that there are some off flavors and something isn't quite right. Even if this was more of the British-style of IPA I'd be getting more hop flavor and aroma along with a solid malt backing. The astringency of this brew is a little off-putting. Bummed as I've loved the other beers we've tried from Great Crescent. Perhaps it was just this particular batch? The look of this beer was the best thing about it...

11-06-2011 02:18:14 | More by indiapaleale
tone77

2.98/5  rDev -13.9%

Thanks again to woodychandler for yet another canned beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. This beer exploded from the can and finally settled down to have a dark brown color with a 1.5 inch head. Smell has hops, something slightly metallic also, can't quite make it out. Taste is also a bit unusual, hops are definatly present, something metallic like is also there, very dry at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is not a bad beer but is a little off somehow in the taste and smell.

07-23-2011 14:49:44 | More by tone77
Cresant

3.53/5  rDev +2%

Served this 16 oz. can into a Sam Adams glass. No date, but I know they just started canning so it has to be pretty fresh!. The body was a beautiful, clear chestnut color. The head was barely off white.

The smell was leafy, organic. Dank. Nice, my favorite IPA aromas.

The taste was caramel eclipsed by citrus pith and pine resins. Juicy citrus followed by a drying bitterness. This one may be inspired by Surly Furious (not as good but inspired by).

The mouthfeel was a bit thinner than I would expect. Some slickness in the beginning with a coarser carbonation in the end. I will definitely buy more of these in the future.

07-06-2011 00:56:57 | More by Cresant
jkrich

3.98/5  rDev +15%

Poured from an undated 16 oz. can: one of the most attractive ales I have seen in awhile. The pour yielded a clear, bright golden-copper with some orange highlights. The creamy, off-white head slowly receded leaving intricate, full lacing on the glass.

The spicy, sweet malt aroma was quite noticeable upon opening the can, leading to the conclusion that this is more of an English IPA.

Quite correct on the origin of style: the faint caramel and buttery flavors that are complimented by a gentle hop bitterness is English and all about balance. There is a fresh, yeasty aftertaste that keeps this one interesting.

The mouthfeel is soft and clean with a very agreeable bitterness lingering on the tongue. The body is light to medium with noticeable carbonation.

This is another refreshing, lightly hopped IPA alternative to the plethora of American, highly-hopped versions. This one drinks like a very good, American pale ale.

06-24-2011 23:52:59 | More by jkrich
lisomiso

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another beer from Urbancaver. Thank you darling.

Pours beautifully from the can. What a head! Sadly, after a great start, retention is something of an issue.

The beer itself is a solidly average IPA. It's clean, but somewhat boring and one-dimensional. I'm delighted to be able to try it, and I'll enjoy the whole thing, but I'm not really sad that I can't buy it where I live.

06-01-2011 06:06:54 | More by lisomiso
Urbancaver

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a fairly pretty golden orange. A small amount of white head. Lots of carbonation. Smells mildly hoppy with a touch of caramel on the nose. the hops are piney but really not strong on the aroma. Tastes sweet and bitter. The hops are a bit one dimensional. Not balanced with the malt profile. There is a bitterness that is overwhelming but not strong. Overall thick enough to satisfy but nothing particularly special

05-29-2011 18:15:46 | More by Urbancaver
brew3crew

3.9/5  rDev +12.7%

16 oz can into a pint glass

A-orange hazy color with a white whispy head
s- nice hop aroma that in its me right in
T-nice citrusy hops that finish oh so smooth
M-medium body smooth and crisp. Very faint hop aftertaste
O-pretty good beer from a nice up and coming brewery. Can't wait to try more

05-23-2011 23:32:20 | More by brew3crew
bluejacket74

3.83/5  rDev +10.7%

16 ounce can. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a mostly clear orange/amber color with about an inch and a half frothy off-white head. Head retention is good, and there's a lot of lacing left behind on the glass. Aroma is some floral hops and sweet malt, but the aroma isn't too strong at all. Luckily the taste is stronger. The brew tastes like floral, earthy and grassy hops, and some caramel malt. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick and creamy with good carbonation. It's also smooth and easy to drink. It's a good brew, I liked it. I think it's a good English style IPA, I think the style of this beer on BA should be changed on BA since Great Crescent says on their website it's made in the British style. Definitely worth trying.

05-21-2011 00:06:09 | More by bluejacket74
brian44556

3.23/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured a 16oz can into a Stone IPA glass. No date located on the can. Picked this one up from Keg Liquors in IN, sounds like this is Great Crescents first batch of cans.

Poured a dark honey color with a thick, off white head. Sporadic lacing along the sides of the glass. This beer starts off very well. Smells a bit hoppy, but the hops don't send a citrus rush through your nostril. Smells like more of an English IPA. Also smell notes of bread and sweet malts. The isn't good at all for an American IPA. Tastes very bready, with a malty finish. The hops are there, but they aren't upfront like I enjoy. Full bodied beer, with good carbonation. Overall for the style I'm not impressed at all. If this was labeled as an English IPA I would rate it better, but there are much better American IPAs out there.

05-06-2011 22:27:02 | More by brian44556
revolt914

Colorado

4.22/5  rDev +22%

Tried this one at the brewery and really enjoyed it. I'm not usually all that interested in IPA's but this one was really pleasing. I did find it to not be super hopped out but it did have a good spring/summer taste of beer to it. I would definitely get this one again, given the chance.

I find it hard to review a beer when you're sitting here drinking another type of beer and trying to recall it when you're tasting another.

Overall I did enjoy the British style IPA much more then your over hopped beer in america.

10-01-2010 00:18:41 | More by revolt914