Great Crescent Bourbon's Barrel Stout - Great Crescent Brewery

good

Great Crescent Brewery visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

Stout aged in Makers Mark barrels.

(Beer added by: aasher on 01-25-2011)
1.5/5  rDev -59%

chippo33, Jan 13, 2013
1.65/5  rDev -54.9%

This beer was chilled and served in a pint glass.

A- The body of the beer is black no opaqueness to light. The head was thick and burnt tan in coloration. Nice lacing marks the beers passage from the glass.

S- The aroma is not really what I was hoping for. Moderately roasted dark malts with a vague hint of vanilla. No off aromas noted but not really bringing it.

T- Darkly roasted malt with a subdued choco flavors. I have one question. Wheres the Bourbon?

M- The body of the beer is limp and thin. Carbonation is on the lower end. This beer is really not working.

O- This beer is a major let down. It is most definately not worth $4.00 a can. The beer has subdued and muted flavors. Frankly is majorly bland. The body is limp. I cannot approve of this beer. Not wasting my time drinking this beer. Down the drain this beer goes.

nlmartin, Apr 28, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -28.1%

Deep black color with head like Coca-Cola foam, but much larger. Nutty, biscuity nose with bitter cocoa and roast underneath. Very little bourbon.

Flavor is peanut butter, toasted malt, and delicate bourbon. Not much roasty stout character. Balance is toward the bitter side. None of the smoke that is found in the un-bourboned stout (may be another base beer).

Mouthfeel is too heavy. I expect a hefty creamy body in a stout, but this comes off as slick/sticky. The carbonation is prickly and should probably be lower, although I doubt that would help the overly-thick body. Given this review, the beer's not as bad as it sounds. It is definitely different. The bourbon character is very subdued, which is a nice change from the majority of these beers that taste like watered-down whiskey. At least I can taste the beer here. It's an OK shot at the style, but I won't be buying it again.

dpasotti, Jul 19, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

Dark black-- not as dark as the regular version, but this is certainly not translucent.
Nice tan creamy head, great retention, decent spotty chunky lacing.

Smells weak. Coffee chocolate and caramel. Where's the bourbon?!
The flavor finishes with a dry roasty character-- where's the bourbon? No boozy bite either.

Feels oily.

Overall-- meh. The regular version was better. This makes me a sad panda.

AleWatcher, Feb 22, 2012

dlello2, Oct 06, 2012

ortie, Dec 05, 2012

Explosive pour, HUGE head, huge body, deep and black.

Slight vanilla notes, marginal oak, dark sugars, coffee, and a hint of sour.

I already want to try this again as I HOPE this can has some issues. A bit sour which can happen from bourbon barrels with certain stouts, but I hope this is a mistake and not their goal. The bourbon barrel isn't strong enough and if these are hops I'm tasting and not an infection it's an interesting beer I guess.

Drinkable and ok for a stout.

I hope to re-review this but it's ok nothing special and not a worthy bourbon barrel.

bobhits, May 25, 2013
3.24/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

16oz can. Pours jet black with a rich dark mocha head. Frothy ringing leaves some thick coating of lace down the sides. The nose smells of roast and sweetness with coffee, cocoa, vanilla brown sugars and a touch of oak and tartness being present. The taste similar but much more of that tart dark fruit character presents itself. It’s a shame too, as you can get some of that complexity from the nose but it’s mostly trampled over here. Finish is tart and roasty with some lingering oaky dryness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit lively with the carbonation. Unfortunately, it also seems a little too thin at times as well. It’s too bad that there seems to be an infection taking in hold in this, as it definitely showed some promise but at least it was still fairly drinkable at this point. I liked the novelty of having a BA Stout from a can. I just wish that it had been better.

Kegatron, Jan 09, 2014

RedneckBeerz, Jan 24, 2013

sendbeer, Nov 01, 2012

seeswo, Mar 23, 2012

craft_shannie, Apr 28, 2013
3.38/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Been in the cellar two years. I heard they're beer wasn't supposed to be sold on shelves due to it not being pasteurized, but I don't know if anybody actually pasteurized their beer, so...

Pours a deep onyx with a lingering, frothy mocha head.

Coffee grounds, tar, cocoa, and soy dominate the initial aroma. That soy overpowers, but a hint of oak and vanilla are present.

Flavor reveals deep cocoa notes, with light roast and a touch of coffee at the base. I get a hint of soy, and dark cherries lie beneath, but then there's that Great Crescent tang that ruins the party.

Body is full, with minimal carbonation and modest alcohol warmth.

The oak and bourbon become evident, but it's definitely not prevalent. If it weren't for that funky tang, this would be a good beer.

barczar, Jul 11, 2014
3.43/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

poured cold and an oily black from the can to a 10oz hunaphu's snifter with a thin, short lasting tan head that dissipated directly after the pour leaving a thin rim around the edge of the glass

subtle roasty aroma, dark sugars, molasses

light bodied, big carbonation, a bit fizzy on the tongue(?), subtle balanced flavors, nothing sticking out particularly. there's bourbon, but you do have to hunt for it. i'd be interested in a side by side with the straight stout.

drinkable

robwestcott, Oct 17, 2013
3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pretty stoked to try a BBA stout out of a can. Poured what looked thick, and black. Really no head on this. The smell was a bit weak. Really no bourbon on the nose. Smells of coffee, malt, vanilla, all of which were pretty light. The taste got better as it warmed. Just a slight bit of bourbon right at the beginning of the sip, disappeared instantly and was followed by bitter chocolate and coffee. Slight bit of vanilla and malt with a bitter finish. Not half bad. I'da liked more bourbon, but I will say that the stout characteristics were not overshadowed by bourbon and were there to be tasted. The mouthfeel was where I'd say I was disappointed. Very thin for a stout. However at 7.5 abv I suppose you'll have that. Overall, Not a bad offering. Love the idea of a BBA stout in a can. Looking forward to trying more beers from Great Crescent.

Edit: Upon drinking my 2nd can, I've found that the barrel is most present at room temperature. Thins up a bit, however the bourbon becomes noticeable and is very enjoyable.

1Adam12, Jan 19, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

16 ounce can. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with a huge brown head. This can was a gusher, so I had to wait for a while for it to settle down to get the whole can poured into the glass. Head retention and lacing are both decent. Aroma is nice and malty. It smells like roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, and some light vanilla and bourbon. It's a nice smelling beer, but for a beer that was aged in bourbon barrels I expected more bourbon in the aroma. Taste is the same as the aroma, it's all roasted malt, chocolate and coffee with a little bit of vanilla and bourbon. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy but also has too much carbonation for my liking. If you like your bourbon barrel aged beers with a lot (or even a decent amount) of bourbon, this brew isn't for you. I think it's still a decent overall stout, but at $15.99 a 4-pack I don't think it's even close to being worth the price.

bluejacket74, Apr 27, 2012

1 Pint can
Served in a snifter

It looks black to me. No light comes through even when held to a light source. A lousy pour yielded half a glass of tan, rocky head with a little lacing.

The smell has chocolate and dark fruit.

The taste is weak, but exactly like the smell. It reminds me of a raspberry filled chocolate.

Maker's Mark = good. Stout = good. Bourbon barrel aged stout = good. This one however bucks traditional thinking. The flavor and aroma are weak. They do have a chocolate and dark fruit thing going on which is not bad.

buschbeer, Aug 30, 2014

Siggy125, Mar 05, 2013

CaptCleveland, Jan 16, 2012

ADTaber, May 29, 2013
3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from a can into a Dogfish Head snifter at cellar temperature. When I opened the can, I was surprised that it gushed a bit. Once poured, there was an enormous brown head on this thing. Too big, in fact. I had to pour it into two separate glasses. Other than that, the appearance was nearly black. The nose had faint notes of roasted malt, leather, and vanilla. It smells nice, but I wish it was a bit more assertive.

Medium to full-bodied beer with a rather thin mouthfeel and predominantly sweet malty flavor. I don't think the high level of carbonation does this beer any favors. A hefty bloom looks nice, but the subtle flavors imparted from the barrel are completely lost. I had to let the beer sit and de-gas a bit so that I could get all of its flavor. After about 10-15 minutes, I got faint toffee and chocolate up front. At mid-palate, I get a bit of vanilla and a slight bitter roastiness on the finish. Even the mouthfeel improved and got a little creamier. Unfortunately, I never got much bourbon presence. The beer had no bite to it whatsoever.

I've had this beer on tap before and I thought it had more bourbon flavor to it. The canned version doesn't seem to have it. Also, the carbonation is an issue. In my opinion this is a good beer, but it's far from great. Try it if you can find it, but it's probably not something you want to trade for (yet).

deadonhisfeet, May 13, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Pours a dark oil black with a very small head. Quickly just a tiny ring around my glass.

S: coffee, cocoa, roasted malt

T: Well the taste definitely lives up to the aroma. There is mostly espresso flavored malt backbone, a little chocolate and some slightly chalky finish with roasted barley. The yeast here is probably my most despised yeast if that is what has caused the chalky finish and I cannot get that out of my mind. I just think of fingernails being dragged across a chalkboard when I taste beers that use this yeast. Not a good thought... moving on... The bourbon flavors are extremely muted, so much so that I think that this is either an old dried up barrel, or it has been used a few times and lost that bourbon flavor I adore so much.

M: Good mouthfeel, thick body with a good carbonation level.

O: This had promise and it is a good beer for sure. At 7.5% I have to reserve being harsh on it because it is a quality brew; i just cannot tell it was aged in bourbon barrels. I just hate hate hate this yeast and I am positive this beer would be twice as good if they stopped making it so chalky and overattenuated. Glad to have tried this and I had never heard of this brewery before getting this as an add from MordorMongo. Thanks!

alpinebryant, Mar 14, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

reviewed from notes 5/20/12.

tallboy can poured into snifter glass.

Appearance: black bodied beer with 2 fingers of mocha head. Thick lacing.

Smell: milk chocolates and vanilla. Not much for barrel notes from this beer.

Taste: Bitter cocoa, molasses, and vanilla. No bourbon notes on other barrel notes. If they are in there they are faint.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. This beer is really carbonated for a barrel aged stout. It an easy drinking stout.

Overall: An okay beer. Glad I only bought one can that was enough for me. Expensive 4pk at around 16 dollars. Needs more bourbon notes and big flavors and complexity.

4DAloveofSTOUT, May 24, 2012
3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

A - Pours oil black with about 1/4 inch of roasted toffee colored creamy head and dies down almost as quick leaving nothing but a thin ring and eventually nothing at all.

S - Char, bourbon, oak, dark bitter chocolate, vanilla, and light smoke.

T - Starts with some vanilla and oak bourbon with some light smokiness, followed halfway through with bitter chocolate which rides it through for a slight bourbon sweet finish and lingering dark chocolate bitterness.

M - Thin body, semi-sticky on the lips, mild carbonation pricklies gives way to a smooth and dry finish.

O - Solid and I dig the fact it's in a can which is a huge plus. If I have any downsides to this beer, it would be a thicker texture, it's to wimpy and watery on the finish. However, did I mention it's a bourbon stout in a can?? Pretty cool.

jzeilinger, Dec 05, 2012
3.71/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

From a large can

Pours opaque black, tan head over an inch thick is firm and dissipates very slowly to an eventual film.

Smells of oak, molasses, cocoa, roasted coffee, brown sugar, and licorice.

Smokey oak and brown sugar up front with some bitter roasted coffee and licorice following.

Medium to full body with tingles of carbonation throughout.

A very attractive looking stout with a great aroma, but underwhelms slightly in the taste and body departments. It's just a bit too watery for this style and unless I'm misunderstanding what the name implies, there is less bourbon flavor here than I had assumed there would be. Maybe there isn't supposed to be any and the apostrophe means it's just a barrel stout in honor of someone named Bourbon. At any rate, those gripes aside, it's a pretty fine stout and worth trying.

Cylinsier, Jan 24, 2014