Great Crescent Bourbon's Barrel Stout - Great Crescent Brewery

Great Crescent Brewery visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: aasher on 01-25-2011

Stout aged in Makers Mark barrels.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 54 | Reviews: 32
3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

reviewed from notes 5/20/12.

tallboy can poured into snifter glass.

Appearance: black bodied beer with 2 fingers of mocha head. Thick lacing.

Smell: milk chocolates and vanilla. Not much for barrel notes from this beer.

Taste: Bitter cocoa, molasses, and vanilla. No bourbon notes on other barrel notes. If they are in there they are faint.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. This beer is really carbonated for a barrel aged stout. It an easy drinking stout.

Overall: An okay beer. Glad I only bought one can that was enough for me. Expensive 4pk at around 16 dollars. Needs more bourbon notes and big flavors and complexity.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a can into a Dogfish Head snifter at cellar temperature. When I opened the can, I was surprised that it gushed a bit. Once poured, there was an enormous brown head on this thing. Too big, in fact. I had to pour it into two separate glasses. Other than that, the appearance was nearly black. The nose had faint notes of roasted malt, leather, and vanilla. It smells nice, but I wish it was a bit more assertive.

Medium to full-bodied beer with a rather thin mouthfeel and predominantly sweet malty flavor. I don't think the high level of carbonation does this beer any favors. A hefty bloom looks nice, but the subtle flavors imparted from the barrel are completely lost. I had to let the beer sit and de-gas a bit so that I could get all of its flavor. After about 10-15 minutes, I got faint toffee and chocolate up front. At mid-palate, I get a bit of vanilla and a slight bitter roastiness on the finish. Even the mouthfeel improved and got a little creamier. Unfortunately, I never got much bourbon presence. The beer had no bite to it whatsoever.

I've had this beer on tap before and I thought it had more bourbon flavor to it. The canned version doesn't seem to have it. Also, the carbonation is an issue. In my opinion this is a good beer, but it's far from great. Try it if you can find it, but it's probably not something you want to trade for (yet).

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

1.7/5  rDev -53.6%

This beer was chilled and served in a pint glass.

A- The body of the beer is black no opaqueness to light. The head was thick and burnt tan in coloration. Nice lacing marks the beers passage from the glass.

S- The aroma is not really what I was hoping for. Moderately roasted dark malts with a vague hint of vanilla. No off aromas noted but not really bringing it.

T- Darkly roasted malt with a subdued choco flavors. I have one question. Wheres the Bourbon?

M- The body of the beer is limp and thin. Carbonation is on the lower end. This beer is really not working.

O- This beer is a major let down. It is most definately not worth $4.00 a can. The beer has subdued and muted flavors. Frankly is majorly bland. The body is limp. I cannot approve of this beer. Not wasting my time drinking this beer. Down the drain this beer goes.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

16 ounce can. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with a huge brown head. This can was a gusher, so I had to wait for a while for it to settle down to get the whole can poured into the glass. Head retention and lacing are both decent. Aroma is nice and malty. It smells like roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, and some light vanilla and bourbon. It's a nice smelling beer, but for a beer that was aged in bourbon barrels I expected more bourbon in the aroma. Taste is the same as the aroma, it's all roasted malt, chocolate and coffee with a little bit of vanilla and bourbon. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy but also has too much carbonation for my liking. If you like your bourbon barrel aged beers with a lot (or even a decent amount) of bourbon, this brew isn't for you. I think it's still a decent overall stout, but at $15.99 a 4-pack I don't think it's even close to being worth the price.

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a 16 oz. can into my DFH tulip. BBA stout in a can? Yes please.

a - Pours a very dark brown, almost black color, with one finger of very dark tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for two to three minutes and a light ring throughout drinking it. Looks very nice.

s - Smells of roasted malts, coffee, bitter dark chocolate, light milk chocolate, light cream and vanilla, and very light bourbon. Nice nose but not much bourbon at all.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, coffee, bitter chocolate, vanilla, cream, toasted malts, bready malts, milk chocolate. Again, quite nice, but no bourbon at al in the taste.

m - Thick, full body and moderate carbonation. Thick and chewy, and quite smooth. Very nice for a stout, no heat at all.

o - Overall I thought this was a great American stout, but there is almost no bourbon to it whatsoever. If it was just given to you and you were not told it was aged in Maker's barrels, I'm not sure you'd be able to tell it was as there is none in the taste and almost none in the nose. Aside from that, it is a very nice, smooth stout. Would like to have it again.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Pours a dark oil black with a very small head. Quickly just a tiny ring around my glass.

S: coffee, cocoa, roasted malt

T: Well the taste definitely lives up to the aroma. There is mostly espresso flavored malt backbone, a little chocolate and some slightly chalky finish with roasted barley. The yeast here is probably my most despised yeast if that is what has caused the chalky finish and I cannot get that out of my mind. I just think of fingernails being dragged across a chalkboard when I taste beers that use this yeast. Not a good thought... moving on... The bourbon flavors are extremely muted, so much so that I think that this is either an old dried up barrel, or it has been used a few times and lost that bourbon flavor I adore so much.

M: Good mouthfeel, thick body with a good carbonation level.

O: This had promise and it is a good beer for sure. At 7.5% I have to reserve being harsh on it because it is a quality brew; i just cannot tell it was aged in bourbon barrels. I just hate hate hate this yeast and I am positive this beer would be twice as good if they stopped making it so chalky and overattenuated. Glad to have tried this and I had never heard of this brewery before getting this as an add from MordorMongo. Thanks!

2.79/5  rDev -23.8%

Dark black-- not as dark as the regular version, but this is certainly not translucent.
Nice tan creamy head, great retention, decent spotty chunky lacing.

Smells weak. Coffee chocolate and caramel. Where's the bourbon?!
The flavor finishes with a dry roasty character-- where's the bourbon? No boozy bite either.

Feels oily.

Overall-- meh. The regular version was better. This makes me a sad panda.

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

I have had this CAN in my reefer for so long that I CANnot remember who sent it to me in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM), but today seemed like a good time to make the Crack & Glug happen.

From the CAN: "Great Crescent Brewery is located on a sweeping curve of the Ohio River. Our brewery is rooted in an area founded by folks of a pioneering spirit, who forged new lives in the rich wilderness. We promise to embrace the best of these qualities in our deeds and in our hand-crafted beers, which will always be authentic, down-to-earth and full of life. Thank you for buying our beer. [undersigned] Dan & Lani Valas".

The Crack revealed another brimful CAN from these guys! I am definitely getting my money's worth from these beers. The Glug was nothing less then spectacular, going into a Sam. Adams Perfect Pint glass to allow it to hit the etching at the bottom of the glass. The result of all of this was that I got a real cascading action, followed by the creation of a dense two fingers of light-brown head with excellent retention. The beer itself looked viscous and dark, like I was emptying an ink pot into my glass, allowing little light to penetrate, except at the edges, where it gave off shades of ruby. Nose was very roasty with notes of dark chocolate and French Roast coffee up front, underlain by a coconut sweetness of the bourbon. Liquid Mounds bar, anyone?!? Mouthfeel was thick and creamy and I closed my eyes, envisioning myself drinking an Arby's Jamocha shake laced with bourbon. It was rich, thick, chocolate and coffee with bourbon thrown in for good measure. Finish really left me tasting the bourbon component of this beer and there was NOTHING wrong with that. I rarely indulge in distilled spirits, only because for me, it is like standing on the edge of the abyss and looking down. When I drink hard liquor, I break out in handcuffs, but this is the way to go! Best of the lot with only the IPA left in the on-deck circle.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.96/5  rDev +8.2%

Can into a tulip.

Pitch black and opaque with a mocha colored head. A little bit of lacing.

Soft notes of milk chocolate and vanilla. Chocolate cake and chocolate ice cream too. Not much bourbon presence at all outside of the subtle vanilla aroma. Not much going on here but it's not bad.

Fudge and baker's chocolate up front with smoothed out espresso notes on the tongue. A touch of oak and vanilla with chocolate cake batter and ice cream too. A dry, medium French roast is left on your tongue. Very surprised on how balanced this is in terms of flavor.

Full bodied with a tickle of carbonation. A bit sticky with a hint of drying.

Great chocolate and oak flavors but a lacking aroma. I have a feeling this can is a little old. That's okay, this tasted great. Just as good as any other highly rated American stout in terms of flavor.

3.82/5  rDev +4.4%

P: 16 fl oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A: SRM is dark brown/black. Nearly opaque. Head is dark chocolate, pillowy, dissipates to line the top of the beer. Medium carbonation. Light lacing.

S: Bourbon, dark roast malt, chocolate, caramel.

T: Dark roast malt with nice medium bourbon and chocolate notes. Aftertaste is lightly bittered chocolate and a hint of bourbon.

M: Medium body. Malt base and bourbon give a semi-viscous feel. Light bittered chocolate malt on the end lightens the feel a bit, giving a dry finish.

O: Nice solid effort from GC. This is my favorite beer I have had from them so far. The nose is very reminiscent of KBS, but this is where comparisons end. I would have liked to see GC double the malt to give that real thickness this beer is lacking. A touch more bourbon would have been nice too. All in all this was an enjoyable beer that I would by again.

3.46/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pretty stoked to try a BBA stout out of a can. Poured what looked thick, and black. Really no head on this. The smell was a bit weak. Really no bourbon on the nose. Smells of coffee, malt, vanilla, all of which were pretty light. The taste got better as it warmed. Just a slight bit of bourbon right at the beginning of the sip, disappeared instantly and was followed by bitter chocolate and coffee. Slight bit of vanilla and malt with a bitter finish. Not half bad. I'da liked more bourbon, but I will say that the stout characteristics were not overshadowed by bourbon and were there to be tasted. The mouthfeel was where I'd say I was disappointed. Very thin for a stout. However at 7.5 abv I suppose you'll have that. Overall, Not a bad offering. Love the idea of a BBA stout in a can. Looking forward to trying more beers from Great Crescent.

Edit: Upon drinking my 2nd can, I've found that the barrel is most present at room temperature. Thins up a bit, however the bourbon becomes noticeable and is very enjoyable.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

4.07/5  rDev +11.2%

This just arrived in Indianapolis yesterday. This is Makers Mark barrel aged. It pours a full bodied lifeless black in color with a slight dark khaki lacing. The aromas are of dark chocolate, roasted coffee, mild bitterness, barrel, and a touch of vanilla. The bourbon aspect is there yet not over the top. It adds a subtle sweetness to the nose. It tastes of dark chocolates, light coffee, sweet yet subtle bourbon, and finishes with a mild bitter bite. The body doesn't live up to the pour, but this is on the lower end for stouts. Overall this is a nice, lighter, barrel aged stout. It drinks smoothly and is an easy beer to drink. It's worth your while.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Jason and/or Cam for the can.
Review input from notes

Deep black and opaque body. The beer is not noticeably viscous. One and a half finger cafe au lait colored head. Retention is limited, head recedes quickly leaving a slight ring. Very little lacing left clinging to the glass.

The aroma is pleasant but generally less than impressive. Slight roast and sweet bourbon and caramel aroma up front. Hints of oak and subtle chocolate behind. The aroma lacks intensity.

Sweet malt and creme flavor is revealed on the tongue out of the glass. This is a bit of a surprise, I was expecting more roasted characteristics. The roast is rather subtle. Bourbon flavor is low and slightly warming.

Medium to full bodied stout. Carbonation is moderate and appropriate. Creamy texture and a moderate finish.

An enjoyable beer all the way around, it just falls a notch short of what I would like to see. I would definitely drink this one again, but there are several barrel aged stouts I would reach for first.

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

Served this 16 oz. can in a Sierra Nevada hops glass. No date. The body was deep, dark brown. The head was modest and rich tan in color.

The smell was lightly metallic. Hints of bourbon and nuts. Vanilla. Not overpowering in any characteristic.

The taste was roasty, creamy chocolate. Coffee and vanilla. Light alcohol. Fruity. The oak seems to dry it out and balance the inherent sweetness. Complex but very easy to drink.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied. Creamy but not too thick despite the appearance. Actually a bit lighter bodied than expected.

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In line at founders for CBS

A-dark body with a nice tan head

S-lots of malt and a faint smell of sweet, sweet burbon

T-tastes like adult chocolate milk. Wow. Not really bourbon but awesome none the less

M-medium body and smooth

O-great beer. Looking forward to more

4.32/5  rDev +18%

Finally scored a can of this!

I do believe this is the world's only Bourbon Barrel Stout from a can!

Pours a pitch black with nice tan head. Looks pretty solid. Smells roasty and malty. Lots of rich dark fruits on the nose. A touch of oakiness peaks through. Smells pretty great. Tastes roasty and lightly bitter. As it warms up the dark fruits and light chocolatey flavours come through. Pretty enjoyable. Nice light oak. I wish the bourbon was stronger but its pretty tasty. Nice solid mouthfeel... honestly I'm really surprised by how good this is! Definitely something I'd try again!

4.5/5  rDev +23%

Pour - inky, jet black with no light coming through whatsoever. Very thin, wispy coffee-colored head on top. Tiny streams of carbonation flowing upwards in the glass. Wow, this looks impressive.

Aroma - dark roast coffee, Oreos, chocolate cake batter, dark chocolate, cocoa, vanilla beans and heft amounts of dark roasted malt. This smells heavenly. Lots of aromas going on...

Taste - first sip and I realize right away that this has the mouthfeel of velvet. So smooth it is scary. Bitter roasted flavors abound with some sweet cocoa and coffee as well. There is a dry, tannic flavor in the background along with some notes of vanilla from the barrel aging. Not too overpowering, just a nice subtle flavor enhancement. No real sense of the alcohol in this brew, which is nice as sometimes that alcohol flavor in bigger stouts can be a bit much. Everything meshes very well in this stout and each sip complements the last. As this warms the flavors are enhanced and the glass gets emptier and emptier.

Overall - this beer is proof that you can put a bigger, more complex beer in a can with no issues whatsoever. The flavors and aromas of this beer are preserved perfectly and this tastes amazing. Lots of bitter roasty maltiness along with the unique qualities provided by the barrel-aging make this stout well-rounded and extremely enoyable. Bourbon's Barrel Stout is not too strong and thus there is no burn from the alcohol. This is smooth like silk going down and pure pleasure to drink.
Would I buy more of it? - absolutely. I've got the cash in my hand.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Great Crescent Bourbon's Barrel Stout from Great Crescent Brewery