Hot Rod Red - Aviator Brewing Company

Beer added by: Loki on 12-04-2008

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 157 | Reviews: 41
3.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Served on draft at the FV draft house. Pours reddish ruddy brown color. Small wispy off white head. Good dose of lacing. Sweet up front with some caramel maltiness and bready backbone. Not much different than the Steamhead. Biscuity and bready with some yeast flavors kicking in as well. More of the chocolate malitness. Not too shabby. Tastes close to a brown ale/amber ale hybrid. Plenty of bread.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

This is a bomber from Aviator, just a few minutes down the road in Fuquay. Pours darker than most in the style, with a brown top and orange feet. head is eggshell colored and has copious lace but doesn't last long. Nose is floral hops over a foundation of caramel and toasted malts.

Strong malt flavors, with caramel and toasted morphing into coffee and baker' s chocolate before long. Hops are window dressing at first but shine on nicely in the aftertaste. The combination of English and west coast hops makes this unique.

Certainly not standard among the Irish Reds I have sampled in the past but definitely tasty and interesting.

3.46/5  rDev -3.6%

Bright red pour with 1-finger of light tan head. Very little retention. Laces very nicely.

Faint, sweet malt nose. Not much to go on.

Sweet hit on the tongue. Turns very sweet in the aftertaste, like big red licorice. Surprisingly dry and hoppy in the finish.

Decent malt body.

Easy drinker and hides it's slightly higher than average abv well.

3.44/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

[Suggested Glassware: Nonic pint]

The pour was a lightly cloudy medium copper with an average (1-2 finger) light beige rocky head that receded very slowly, down to a moderate film with a medium collar and had excellent sheets of lacing.

The aroma was of a toasted bread malt, light grassy hops and an earthy yeast with notes of caramel, toffee and a mild spiciness.

The taste was lightly sweet and extremely malty with a hint of caramel which was present throughout, with the finish having a decent hoppy bitterness, a touch of spice and a chewy bready ending. The flavor lasted an average time proceeding the swallow, with the hoppy malty taste fading slowly off the taste buds.

Mouthfeel was just past light in body with a watery and slightly dry texture and a carbonation that was just below medium.

Overall I found this brew to have a nice balance of flavors. It possessed a good malt backbone, a light caramel sweetness and a delicious hoppy bitterness, which worked so well together that you could not help but enjoy it...

4.27/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

At Ale House in Durham,. Pour is a nice red, with a decent white head floating on tap. Smell is roasty, with a decent hoppy presence. The flavor pretty much follows suit. The taste is amazing. Complex with a touch of dry malt. Caramel malt is everywhere, and I love it. It leaves a slightly chewy malt feeling.

The only better Irish Red is GLBC Conways.

3.61/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a dark red colour with a white head.

The smell is soapy, with some sweet malts. The soapy smell is a bit weird.

The taste is very nutty with some sweet malts. Simple but very tasty.

The mouthfeel is light with medium carbonation.

This a simple yet tasty beer. The smell was a bit off but didn't detract from the overall beer too much.

3.82/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is review number 400 <w00t!!>

12 ounce can poured into a New Belgium globe glass

A - Wow, as soon as I popped the top foam began to ooze of out the can. I wonder if my son shook it up and put it back in the fridge because he is just weird that way. The color is a nice apricot red and there is a towering frothy light tan colored head that just lasts and lasts. It took me five minutes to finally get all the beer poured into my glass. Retention and lacing are legendary. I'm giving this a 2.75 though because I don't like to wait ten minutes before being able to take my first sip.

S - The smell is sort of weak to my nose. Maybe a little grainy with a slight alcohol note.

T - This beer had a very sweet malty flavor with a dry finish. Maybe some roasted flavors there too. There is a bit of a punch to the flavor that was somewhat unexpected.

M - sort of thin, but lots of carbonation.

O - refreshing enough, but I did not dig the foam geyser.

A-clear light brown with an off white head
S-hoppy, roast aroma,yet has some sweet grain and malty sweetness
T- roast taste with a good hop bitterness in the aftertaste
M-medium body and medium carbonation
O-Great Irish red!! Has a good hop flavor and outstanding mix of malt, hops, and grain.

4.16/5  rDev +15.9%

Pours out a clear ruby red color with a three finger chunky off white head. The retention is almost perfect, as it clings to the glass and stays a good one finger thickness. Chunks of fluffy, creamy foam till the last drop.

The aroma is roasted malt that is is slightly sweet, and little bitter. A hint of citrus hits the nose from the cascade hops.

The toasted malt hits the palate first. Sweet and bitter is blended together almost perfectly. A dry citrus hop emerges toward the end giving this ale a dry bitter finish. The sweetness of the malt helps balanced out the bitter hop.

Medium bodied and slick on the tongue, a little creamy from the head. Very easy to drink.

I am very proud to say this Irish Red Ale is brewed only 15 minutes down the road from me. Nothing is over the top concerning this style of beer. Every flavor has been crafted just right. I want to see some six packs soon.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Served on-tap at the Aviator Tap House in Fuquay Varina, NC.

Brought to me in a standard pint glass. Deep orange to red in color, very light head that quickly reduced to a thin layer of bubbles and a heavy ring around the glass. Very light lacing.

Aromas are relatively light. There is some moderate to light malts that mix with herbal grassy hops. Nothing here is overpowering or strong, but rather well matched and balanced.

Flavors of modest malts and light earthy hops are quite well balanced. Slightly heavier mouthfeel than I would have expected and somewhat muted grassy hop notes make this a most enjoyable brew. Finish is more dry than not, and is relatively clean. Linger is short and slightly hoppy.

Nice flavors for an Irish Red, with hints of "English" hops and malts. This really strikes me as something that might be had at an English inn rather than an Irish pub. Just the same it's solid and clean. Nice brew!

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Every single f^#@ing can in this six-pack has overflowed from the pour spout upon cracking, resulting in a stupidly over-foamed pour. The beer does have a nice amber color, though, under that ridiculous head. The obnoxiously overflowing pour also filled the area with lovely beer aromas of cereal grains, lemon pith, and a clean yeastiness. In the flavor, sweet caramel malts are subdued by an earthy, dry, somewhat roasty bitterness, but it all comes through just a bit thin. The light texture has some substance and energy, providing a fine complement to the flavor profile. Overall, the overflowing cans pissed me off, but after my rage subsided, I had to acknowledge that this beer is quite nice.

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Have had this beer many times and have experienced a lot of variation with it. This review reflects the most common experience I have had with it.

Pours a nice red/amber with a heavy creamy head.
Hops are evident in the smell, more so than most "irish reds" (though i think that categorization is often misused). Smeetness is also evident, but not heavy.

Taste is pleasant, a slight but far from overwhelming hoppiness with a obvious malt backbobe. More hoppy than most in this style, and for me thats a welcome change.

Mouthfeel is a little thicker and heavier than I would like, but again I think it is probably about right for the style.

As a result the drinkability is good but not great. A decent enough session-style beer and a good take on one of my less than favorite styles.

4.2/5  rDev +17%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance (4.00) – From a 22oz to a Matilda (my favorite glass ever). Pours a slightly hazy red amber. Epic amounts of carbonation coming to the top. Generous 2 finger head that hugs the sides as it fades. Really thick lacing coats the sides, honestly detracting from the appearance.

Smell – (4.00) Orange, malt, and mild hops present. A yeasty overtone to the combination. Roasted character is defnitely present.

Taste – (4.25) Initial impression is that of a roasted barley. Something seems really familiar but its hard to put a finger on it. There is a slight chocolate impression that comes later. A harsh caramel – that's it. The finish is surprisingly hoppy and you get a late crunch. Long after the sip you still have some crunch lingering.

Mouthfeel (4.50) Great carbonation level – it feels as it looks. Its has a medium to light heaviness to it. Lips are as sticky as if I were drinking a stout. There is a slightly sweet quality to it. Very satisfying to drink.

Overall (4.25) – This is pretty interesting to me. Its got a really awesome roasted flavor to it but then finished with the familiar hop crunch. Perfect carbonation levels. The appearance is quite nice too, except, the lacing it out of control. Its like an insulating lining on my glass.

3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

A: Pours a dark red brown with a tan two finger head. Leaves a lot of lacing as you drink it.

S: Malty aroma

T: This just didn't work for me. I do like this style but I think this one doesn't come close to the style. It does promise a hoppy taste and it delivers on that. But, it just didn't taste right to me. The hops and the malt just seemed to clash.

M: Decent medium to full mouthfeel.

O: I've had three of these on different days to see if my impression changed but this is one I won't be buying again. I had high hopes for it but it just doesn't work for me.

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap at Tyler's TapRoom in Apex into 16oz logo pint glass that I wanted to take with me (but didn't!). First try of an Aviator beer, which is my bad as they're just down the road...
A - Nice, welcoming reddish-amber color
S - Mostly caramel malts but a bit of hops as well
T - Gotta say up front, I'm not a fan of "red" beers, as they've always had somewhat of an "off" flavor to me that I can't place, however wanted to try an Aviator, so gave it a whirl....and actually, as red ales go, this has got to be one of the better ones I've tried. Has MUCH more of a hop presence than am used to from this style, which is fine with me. Kind of has an English Pale Ale type hop flavor for me. Can still sense that "off" flavor which I mention above, but it's hidden by the hops and bit of alcohol. That being said, sweet malts predominate here, with the hops finishing things off.
M - Properly carbonated with a nice smooth mouthfeel.
D - Could session this, especially with the hops balancing things out.

Overall probably the best red ale I've had, which, granted, doesn't say too much. But I liked this beer, would order it again, and it gets me excited to try more from Aviator. So, mission accomplished!

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Peabody's Wine and Beer in Boone, NC provided me with this beer.

A - Poured clean with little foam but left a slight ring of foam around the glass.

S - Definite malts with alittle sweet smell.

T - Malts up front followed by hoppy dry finish which more noticable as the beer warms to room temp.

M - Nice full flavor with malts and hops. Not as full as I might expect but good.

O - I do like this beer and I think will you too. There might be better Irish Ales out there but I feel that one cannot go wrong with the Aviator Hod Rod Red. Enjoy!

4.43/5  rDev +23.4%

Appearance: Poured on tap at the Aviator Brewery into a pint glass. Deep orange color. Beautiful! Moderate lacing formed as I drank. Didn't want to wait for this one.

Smell- Light and zesty.

Taste- With only a Killians to base my memory off of a red this beer much far better. Grassy and clean hops that lingered but didn't overpower.

Overall- This is what I imagine when I imagine an irish beer. Aviators signature brew and rightly so!

Can -> Wine Glass

A: 3/4" khaki head, slight haze, cranberry juice red with a slight brown toasted hue, stumpy and spotty lacing.
S: Chocolate, cherry, toasty malts, slight hop undertones, candy apple.
T: Toasted/smoky malts, chocolate, coffee, cherry/cranberry, lingering bitterness.
M: Medium to full bodied, good CO2, bit of alcohol warmth which is appreciated, bitterness wraps around the tongue and hangs out in a good way.
O: Didn't know what to expect from this beer but I am impressed. Most Irish reds I've had have been poor attempts and can't even touch this beer on a complexity level. This beer packs a lot of flavor, aroma, and alcohol and delivers it in a nice little aluminum package for you. Well done.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

Simply put, an outstanding red ale from Aviator Brewing. Had usually stuck with Red Oak for my red ale desires, but a friend of mine told me to try this and I found it at a local beer shop in Boone.

Taste was easily near the top of any red ale I've ever had. The pour was not near as smooth as I would normally like, but the flavor made it easy to forgive the foam after the can opened.

on tap in glass at tap house, great in a growler too. I would like to get a keg soon.

nice head,

clean taste.

mild hops, just right for a amber ale.

stayed crisp till the last sip,

thick amber color,

great local beer,

I think I will go drink one now.

1.71/5  rDev -52.4%

Poured from a bottle into a glass. It has a nice head that maintains a thin layer even halfway through the beer.

Tastes horrible. I detect notes of copper and and a subtle chalky aftertaste. It has a very watery mouthfeel.

I bought this beer because they are a local brewery from down the road. I like some of their other stuff, but this is just awful.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »