HogWild IPA - Aviator Brewing Company

HogWild IPAHogWild IPA

good

Aviator Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

(Beer added by: atsprings on 03-03-2009)
garybrownnc

08-08-2013 19:20:09 | More by garybrownnc
Rambo

08-09-2013 19:02:40 | More by Rambo
BigGingDrinker

11-25-2012 05:03:34 | More by BigGingDrinker
BeerNinja85

4.66/5  rDev +25.9%

This beer is very hoppy and also tastes great. Aviator hit a homerun with this one! I was surprised the first time I had a taste of this tasty beer because the hops were strong. After drinking I could not drink too many other IPA's as they tasted more bland. I think that once you try this full flavor IPA you will enjoy the robust taste. The other positive note is that it is made in North Carolina and our state has the best beers;)

10-13-2013 12:34:51 | More by BeerNinja85

carrollmel7

03-03-2012 22:14:49 | More by carrollmel7
daliandragon

4.48/5  rDev +21.1%

Okay, I think i really like this. Golden copper color and bushy head with great lace. Cloudy body with plenty of floaties. Par for the course but nice. Sweet on the nose at first but then its a little more hop centered. Caramel, citrus, and pine.

The flavor is not so much balanced as split. Initially some nutty malts. Earthy but not weak hops follow in equal strength. There is definitely a heavy dose of booze in each pint glass of this so I could see some cap to the drinkability. Overall, a really impressive growler from these local brewers. Can't believe that I haven't tried this one yet.

04-13-2012 03:28:21 | More by daliandragon
Mojo

Alabama

4.46/5  rDev +20.5%

12 ounce can -> Dogfish Head Glass

A - just beautiful. Pour up a slightly hazy very full gold with a one and a half finger head, great retention, and loads of lacing all up and down the glass.

S - smell is very nice, but is not in your face. Mostly pine, resin, citrus, and bread.

T - OMG!!! The first noticeable taste is the grapefruit, powerful and assertive, but not unbridled and out of control. The finish is a big bitter hop presence that knows exactly just how bitter to go without being too bitter.

M- kind of thin, but has a nice level of carbonation. No real aftertaste.

O - what a surprise!!! I bought this at a Total Wine in NC in a mix a six deal. Had I known, I would have bought more.

07-29-2013 02:18:51 | More by Mojo
ghunterck

4.45/5  rDev +20.3%

I had the chance to try this on tap at a bar.

A: had a cloudy appearance and from what i hear from the bartender this is an unfiltered IPA

S: heavy piney hops smell. A combination of hops....not one dominating.

T: what i always look for in an IPA. It is about the hops and not the malt body. The pale malts are in there to support the hops but not to compete.

M: hoppy! and light on the malt.

D: I had a heavy head the next day cause i drank alot of this and look forward to more when in the area! The hop balance make this a very tasty beer.

12-24-2010 21:36:06 | More by ghunterck
woodychandler

4.39/5  rDev +18.6%

Big ups and major props to my local, in-person trader, tone77, for keeping The CANQuest (TM) in mind during his recent visit to North Carolina! I CANnot CANvey how excited I am to try some of these CANned beers!

From the CAN: "A golden brew made with Pale Ale and Vienna malts. HogWild is a veritable fest of hops. The beer is designed to let the hops shine through; the flavor is not hidden with sweet malts. HogWild is brewed with Chinook, Columbus, Cascade and dry-hopped with Magnum and Willamette. Hoppy and refreshing ale."; "SRM: 5.4".

I was so excited on the Crack to see another brimful CAN that I went with an inverted Glug and ended up with overflow for the first time in a long while. Whoops! In the meantime, my kitchen smelled like a hops processing facility - citrus (primarily grapefruit) and pine forest were prevalent. The massive, rocky, eggshell-white head slowly fell, leaving a load of lacing in its wake. Leaning in, the nose was like the proposed name of my bar - Woody's House of Rabbit, Kangaroo and Frog. Hops, hops and more hops! When I say that the head was massive and rocky, I mean that it looked like it had been sprayed out of a non-dairy whip CANnister or taken off the top of a lemon meringue pie. Color was a hazy orangish-yellow, so I was unsure about their SRM rating as I do not have a chart. The smell was starting to drive me mental! I am reading Irvine Welsh's latest, "Skagboys" and although my hop habit is not what it once was, I still occasionally get the screeching monkey on my back and this was one of those times. Mouthfeel was medium and the bitterness of the grapefruit hops was prevalent on the tongue. With all of the other data provided, I wonder why they did not tell us the IBUs. Some reviewers have taken them to task for this being unbalanced, but I say that is truth in advertising and caveat emptor! It is meant to be a hop bomb for hop heads and as a self-avowed lupulin lover, this was in my wheelhouse. Finish was dry, bone-dry, dry as the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara Desert dry. When I talk of a beer being gaspingly dry, this is to what I am referring. I need some water! And maybe a hit of oxygen. Whew! Good, but not for everybody.

04-09-2013 20:21:44 | More by woodychandler
LXIXME

New Mexico

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%

As usual i let the glass sit on the table and I pour the beer into it from about half an inch above the rim of the glass, in doing so this beer ends up with a nice two inch light tan head that ever so slowly settles into a nice thick biscuity lacing above a honey golden colored beer.

Pine hops aroma with some hints of herbs/floralness to it. Very nice in the first minute or two and then seemed to diminish slightly as I drank this glass of Hogwild.

Nice pine hops taste with just bits of floral hops making its presences known as this glass empties.

A light dryish aftertaste with some hops taste and slight bitterness on this medium bodied IPA.

This beer was damn tasty, good hops presence without overkilling it.

02-19-2013 23:22:25 | More by LXIXME