Devil's Tramping Ground Tripel - Aviator Brewing Company

Beer added by: atsprings on 03-24-2009

to view more.
Ratings: 262 | Reviews: 50
4.79/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Excellent smooth tasting tripel...aviator outdone itself with this one...

3.79/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a quickly dissipating two finger head from a 12 ounce can into a Spiegelau tulip. Musty nose. An overarching tart, lambic-like sweetness lays all over a mild yeasty undertone, with notes of coriander and clove. Mouthfeel a bit understated for the style. There are better tripels out there in the U.S., but this is nonetheless a solid effort, even if the sweetness may seem somewhat off-putting. Having a tripel in a can is a huge plus, though.

This is my favorite beer ever!!!

4.85/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A sweeter then normal tripple. Goes down smooth and is very deceptive. Don't drink too many. One of my favorites.

4.55/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can. Pours hazy gold color with white little head. Aroma is sour, fruity and boozie. Tastes like a tart, sour green apple, with a sweet aftertaste. LOVE this beer. Despite the high alcohol content, you don't really taste it. Highly recommended!!

4.88/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite local beer, just don't drink to many

4.51/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent brew. Traditional beir d'tripel. C'est tres bon! Fruity front end with a smooth middle followed by the signature Belgian finish. Estery and figgy. Reminds me a lot of Lucifer.

3.55/5  rDev -6.1%

Almost a honey like sweetness from the raw alcohol flavor. Not to hoppy ,light but strong.

Can shared. Pours hazy gold color with white head. Aroma is sour, fruity, yeast and booze. Tastes like a tart, sour green apple, with a sweet aftertaste. The sweetness increases the more you drink. It’s too sweet for my taste. Not my favorite.

3.98/5  rDev +5.3%

Straw yellow color, hazy, medium head, bubbly, nice lacing.
Smells of spices. Cloves, peppercorn, yeast, corn molasses.
Taste followed the nose somewhat. Sweeter taste than a traditional tripel. The combination of spices, esters and carbonation gives this the mouth feel and taste of a sparkling cider.
Don't know how I feel about this beer. I thought it was refreshing, tasty and satisfying but I didn't feel as if I was drinking a Belgian tripel. The flavor profile was closer to a hefeweizen. Short of the grape must this beer tasted pretty darn close to DFH Midas touch. Nice summer time brew, I guess.

4.17/5  rDev +10.3%

Type: 12-oz. can
Glass: Stone Ruination IPA pint glass
From: Total Wine & More in Ballantyne (Charlotte), N.C.
Price: $2.99
Purchased: Sept. 9, 2014
Consumed: Sept. 16, 2014
Misc.: N/A

Poured a golden, straw, semi-hazy color with 1-to-2 fingers of off-white head. No bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass initially, but then came up after a few sips. Sporadic spots of foamy lacing along the sides of the glass. Below average retention on the top all the way down. (Sight - 3.75)

Smelled banana, cloves, sugary Belgian spices, kiwi, green grapes, faint all-spice, honeycomb and light cinnamon. Nice on the nose. (Smell - 4.13)

Tasted real close to the nose, but better in all aspects. Very nice. The sugary sweet Belgian spices dominated here. Also cloves, banana, green grapes, kiwi, caramel, all-spice and sugary honey notes. (Taste - 4.25)

Medium body. Oily texture. Lively carbonation. Long, astringent finish. (Feel - 4.13)

This was a very good Tripel. I wish I had a 6-pack. (Overall - 4.13)

4.17 | 93 | A-

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%

A big thanks to the legendary woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of fruits, malts, a touch of sweetness. Taste is malty, spices, light fruits, alcohol is present throughout, very mild hops. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

3.48/5  rDev -7.9%

Can from tipples. Definitely my first canned tripel. Pours clear golden colored with a creamy half finger head on top. Dusty funky aroma, some light banana esters, yeasties, dry. Flavor is sweet banana esters, some pears, maybe a hint of spice, honey, and light yeast funk lingering on the palate. The 9.2% shows on this, with low plus carbonation. Was not expecting that until I took a sip as the nose is very much traditional dry dusty Belgian tripel, but the taste is very much like other overly sweet American attempts at the Tripel. Not bad but a little heavier than I want in this style.

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A-hazy gold with a white head that leaves a lace
S-banana aroma with a spicy background
T-banana and pepper taste that has a hop bitter aftertaste that turns back into a spicy taste
M-very good carbonation and medium body
O-this was a great beer, has the taste that makes you want more

3.87/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into a Chimay goblet. No freshness date.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 1/4 inch white head that retains a bit before becoming a thin ring around the edge of the glass and minimal surface foam. Non-resilient lacing leaves a thin ring behind.

S- Slightly effervescent wheat aroma with some yeasty undertones and a bit of spice. A touch of banana.

T- Flavor has more banana than the aroma with a hint of bubble gum and more spice. Tangy, slightly fruity. Alcohol is decently hidden.

M- Milky in texture with medium carbonation and a lightish body.

O- An all-around good tripel that I actually like better out of the can than on-tap.

4.27/5  rDev +13%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz can poured into a goblet
A: Hazy golden color with a 1/2-finger head
S: Malty with a good dose of Belgian yeast, banana and clove
T: Banana first and foremost, a bit of bubblegum, spice (mostly clove) and some Belgian yeast/malt
M: Medium-bodied, smooth. The alcohol is super hidden
O: Not so complex but super tasty in my book. I don't get the 85 average, to me it's much better. Balanced and pure flavors. Better as it warmed up, definitely will be a re-buy if I can find it

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to dogdoc for sending this one. Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. can into a Florida Berliner Bash snifter.

A: Bright yellow with a faint haze. Forms a thin white head but with tons of active carbonation.

S: Fruity yeast esters (green apple, banana, and pear) with some pilsner malt and mild spices.

T: Follows the nose – fruit esters as in the nose, then pilsner malt with subdued sulfuric qualities show up, but dissipate under more fruit (especially green apple), cloves and light bubblegum flavor. The fruity sweetness lasts into the hang.

M: Light bubbly body, low alcohol presence, and a great amount of carbonation sensation.

O: This lacks something in the depth of flavor department from the best tripels, but it's far from offensive. Easy to drink, and pretty tasty. A reasonable quality tripel in a can! A nice surprise for sure.

4.11/5  rDev +8.7%

A tripel, in a can. Never thought I'd see this, but here goes.

A: Poured a hazy golden with about a finger of head. Looked like sunshine with cotton candy on top.

S: The white fruits predominate. I do smell the yeast, but the pear and grapefruit are out front. Close to a white wine. Outstanding and very unique.

T: The fruits don't come out as much in the taste for me. An above average tripel that doesn't take any chances, but comes out very balanced with the yeast and malts. This is still a very sweet beer; I don't taste the hops like it says on the can, but this is kind of par for the course. Very good, but doesn't rise to the next level.

M: Spot on for the style, just the right amount of carbonation, weight, and no weird aftertaste. Great, but again, not absolutely rocking the world great.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a hazy medium golden yellow in color with light amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and some faint apricot highlights. The beer has a quarter finger tall sudsy white head that reduces to a couple of small patches of thick film surrounded by a very thin film covering the remainder of the surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of Belgian yeast, clove spices, and light fruits (white grape, pear, and peach) as well as a very light hint of banana.

T: Upfront there are light flavors of pale malts with moderate to strong flavors of light fruits (white grape, pear, and peach all stand out). That is followed by strong flavors of Belgian yeast and a light amount of clove spiciness. Hints of banana towards the finish. Light amounts of bitterness which fades pretty quickly.

M: Slightly heavier than medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly creamy with light to moderate amounts of dryness in the finish.

O: Not overly intense for a tripel but definitely an enjoyable brew. A little sweet for a lot of people's tastes (that enjoy the style). Definitely worth having again.

3.46/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Little bit hazy, yellow-slightly golden color. Poured very little head and dissipated pretty quickly to a light lacy cap.

S - Sweet grain smells. Mostly notice how sweet it smells, and a little bit boozy, and a bit yeasty. Some light citrus notes.

T - I'm not getting a big flavor here. Sweet, and very light. Yeasty flavor comes through. Finishes with a hit of the alcohol content.

M - Very light, yet still full at the same time, good.

Overall not a bad beer, just not my kind of beer at all and I would not buy again, but I'm also not a big fan of the style. To each his own. I am not a personal fan of the sweetness, or tripels in general. The taste rating may be way off just because of personal preference but I tried to rate it to the style.

3.66/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My friends, or in this case, fiends, from North Carolina brought this for me on their latest visit to PA in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM) and all I CAN say is, It pays to advertise! My work wife, Spike, is currently teaching Dante Alegheri's "The Divine Comedy aka The Inferno" and she tells me that El Diablo resides in the 9th Circle of Hell. Man, I'll bet that he throws a rollicking party down there.

From the CAN: "Devil's Tramping Ground Tripel pours golden and finishes a bit sweet. Devil's Tripel has a light taste from the addition of sugar. We add just the right amount of hops to balance out the sweetness. The Devil's Tramping Ground is a North Carolina folklore legend. Legend says that this is the very place the devil himself [CAN] rise from the depths of fiery hell, and come to earth. Check it out at ...avitorbrew.com/dtg"; "MALTS: Pilsner and Vienna"; "HOPS: Saaz and Hallertau"; "IBU: 31 SRM: 5".

The Crack was loud and the room filled with a scent of burning sulfur, so I got out a Westmalle chalice and performed an exorcism in the form of an inverted Glug. I managed only a light skim of bone-white head that disappeared in the same puff of smoke that transported me to the 9th Circle of Hell. I was face-to-face with El Diablo and I could think of no other recourse than to raise my glass in a toast. He looked at me, threw his head back, laughed and raised is glass in return. My beer was a hazy golden-yellow (SRM = 5 and again, I am not going to argue, but instead use it as a calibrator), but none of my boys, King Midas, Croesus nor Mammon were around. My host informed me that they were otherwise engaged at the moment. Nose had a saison-like funk that cut through the malodorous stench of the place. Mouthfeel was medium and the black pepper and coriander taste was beautiful. A red serving wench showed me to a seat and asked me to sit down and lean back as she plied me with beer. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my host picking his teeth with his trident and smiling the most evil grin ever. Man, this was smooth and I was enraptured as the wench sat on my lap and began to grind at me. The relatively high ABV was lost in the mix and I was really running through this beer and although I knew better, I just could not help but suck it down. Finish was dry and it may have been from a simple lack of oxygen, but I was really starting to gasp. We uncoupled and his Satanic Majesty whisked me northward, to Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina and we parted company as strains of the Grateful Dead's "Friend of the Devil" could be heard on the wind. Shee-wit! You CAN bet that I will not be tempting fate with another one of these. YMMV, but you have been warned.

Say, my review numbers are wrong! It should be 6.66, NOT 3.66!

3.94/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter, the beer is a bright, crystal clear, vibrant, straw-gold coloring with a thin, whispy, white filmy ring on the surface. Aromas of toasted grains, cotton candy, butter, clove, and all spice. Very low profile aromas, but very well balanced and enticing. Flavors are tangy and roast initially, with a fruit overtone forward, followed by a bready and lemony blend, tangerine notes, bubblegum, and a hunk of spices, including nutmeg, clove, and all spice. Very balanced, but also remaining subtle throughout. There are no traces of this being a higher ABV beer. Smooth, robust body, but with rounded edges. The aftertaste is tangy sweet, with bubblegum and citrus notes in the forefront. A spicy linger, semisweet, smooth finish. Very tasty, easy drinking beer.

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours a very light golden color with a mild-moderate head. Very slight haze to it.

Aroma's are sweet and almost grapeish. Fruity esters are present which complement nicely.

Sweet and sugar tasting through and through on this one. Hides the 9.2% abv amazingly well.

Body is light to moderate. Carbonation is a bit light imo, but allows for a smoother drinkable beer that can get you into lots of trouble if you are not paying attention!

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden in color, this beer has a bold nose that is perfumey, fruity, yeasty, and a little alcoholic. The body is a little hazy and the white foam does look nice following a good pour from the can.

This beer offers a taste about in- line with expectations for the style. The taste is yeasty, with some banana, bubble gum, clove, and candy- like character. Orange, citrus, and dried fruits can be detected as well and the pale and Vienna malts offer some stability as the beer hits you with the taste of alcohol, yeast, and fruit.

This is a decent representation of a Belgian triple and it has all of the characteristics one expects from this style. The alcohol flavor and candy- like character make it less than ideal as an everyday consumption type of brew, but it does seem like a good effort overall. Just beware of the alcohol if you consume- it can really catch up with you.

2.94/5  rDev -22.2%

Sampled in a standard pint glass from a can purchased the same day at the brewery.

Light golden (almost yellow) with decent clarity next to no head. Pretty lifeless. The aroma is green apple and cider. The flavor follows closely with an apple cider quality and little more. It's way too sweet for me and the low carbonation doesn't help. The alcohol is well hidden.

The brewery isn't far from me so I really wanted to like this one but I'm not sure I'll get through the four pack.

to view more.