Devil's Tramping Ground Tripel - Aviator Brewing Company

Devil's Tramping Ground TripelDevil's Tramping Ground Tripel

Aviator Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Tripel |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: atsprings on 03-24-2009)
4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

4.09/5  rDev +8.8%

A tripel, in a can. Never thought I'd see this, but here goes.

A: Poured a hazy golden with about a finger of head. Looked like sunshine with cotton candy on top.

S: The white fruits predominate. I do smell the yeast, but the pear and grapefruit are out front. Close to a white wine. Outstanding and very unique.

T: The fruits don't come out as much in the taste for me. An above average tripel that doesn't take any chances, but comes out very balanced with the yeast and malts. This is still a very sweet beer; I don't taste the hops like it says on the can, but this is kind of par for the course. Very good, but doesn't rise to the next level.

M: Spot on for the style, just the right amount of carbonation, weight, and no weird aftertaste. Great, but again, not absolutely rocking the world great.

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

3.79/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a hazy medium golden yellow in color with light amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and some faint apricot highlights. The beer has a quarter finger tall sudsy white head that reduces to a couple of small patches of thick film surrounded by a very thin film covering the remainder of the surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of Belgian yeast, clove spices, and light fruits (white grape, pear, and peach) as well as a very light hint of banana.

T: Upfront there are light flavors of pale malts with moderate to strong flavors of light fruits (white grape, pear, and peach all stand out). That is followed by strong flavors of Belgian yeast and a light amount of clove spiciness. Hints of banana towards the finish. Light amounts of bitterness which fades pretty quickly.

M: Slightly heavier than medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly creamy with light to moderate amounts of dryness in the finish.

O: Not overly intense for a tripel but definitely an enjoyable brew. A little sweet for a lot of people's tastes (that enjoy the style). Definitely worth having again.

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

3.43/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Little bit hazy, yellow-slightly golden color. Poured very little head and dissipated pretty quickly to a light lacy cap.

S - Sweet grain smells. Mostly notice how sweet it smells, and a little bit boozy, and a bit yeasty. Some light citrus notes.

T - I'm not getting a big flavor here. Sweet, and very light. Yeasty flavor comes through. Finishes with a hit of the alcohol content.

M - Very light, yet still full at the same time, good.

Overall not a bad beer, just not my kind of beer at all and I would not buy again, but I'm also not a big fan of the style. To each his own. I am not a personal fan of the sweetness, or tripels in general. The taste rating may be way off just because of personal preference but I tried to rate it to the style.

3.66/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My friends, or in this case, fiends, from North Carolina brought this for me on their latest visit to PA in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM) and all I CAN say is, It pays to advertise! My work wife, Spike, is currently teaching Dante Alegheri's "The Divine Comedy aka The Inferno" and she tells me that El Diablo resides in the 9th Circle of Hell. Man, I'll bet that he throws a rollicking party down there.

From the CAN: "Devil's Tramping Ground Tripel pours golden and finishes a bit sweet. Devil's Tripel has a light taste from the addition of sugar. We add just the right amount of hops to balance out the sweetness. The Devil's Tramping Ground is a North Carolina folklore legend. Legend says that this is the very place the devil himself [CAN] rise from the depths of fiery hell, and come to earth. Check it out at ...avitorbrew.com/dtg"; "MALTS: Pilsner and Vienna"; "HOPS: Saaz and Hallertau"; "IBU: 31 SRM: 5".

The Crack was loud and the room filled with a scent of burning sulfur, so I got out a Westmalle chalice and performed an exorcism in the form of an inverted Glug. I managed only a light skim of bone-white head that disappeared in the same puff of smoke that transported me to the 9th Circle of Hell. I was face-to-face with El Diablo and I could think of no other recourse than to raise my glass in a toast. He looked at me, threw his head back, laughed and raised is glass in return. My beer was a hazy golden-yellow (SRM = 5 and again, I am not going to argue, but instead use it as a calibrator), but none of my boys, King Midas, Croesus nor Mammon were around. My host informed me that they were otherwise engaged at the moment. Nose had a saison-like funk that cut through the malodorous stench of the place. Mouthfeel was medium and the black pepper and coriander taste was beautiful. A red serving wench showed me to a seat and asked me to sit down and lean back as she plied me with beer. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my host picking his teeth with his trident and smiling the most evil grin ever. Man, this was smooth and I was enraptured as the wench sat on my lap and began to grind at me. The relatively high ABV was lost in the mix and I was really running through this beer and although I knew better, I just could not help but suck it down. Finish was dry and it may have been from a simple lack of oxygen, but I was really starting to gasp. We uncoupled and his Satanic Majesty whisked me northward, to Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina and we parted company as strains of the Grateful Dead's "Friend of the Devil" could be heard on the wind. Shee-wit! You CAN bet that I will not be tempting fate with another one of these. YMMV, but you have been warned.

Say, my review numbers are wrong! It should be 6.66, NOT 3.66!

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter, the beer is a bright, crystal clear, vibrant, straw-gold coloring with a thin, whispy, white filmy ring on the surface. Aromas of toasted grains, cotton candy, butter, clove, and all spice. Very low profile aromas, but very well balanced and enticing. Flavors are tangy and roast initially, with a fruit overtone forward, followed by a bready and lemony blend, tangerine notes, bubblegum, and a hunk of spices, including nutmeg, clove, and all spice. Very balanced, but also remaining subtle throughout. There are no traces of this being a higher ABV beer. Smooth, robust body, but with rounded edges. The aftertaste is tangy sweet, with bubblegum and citrus notes in the forefront. A spicy linger, semisweet, smooth finish. Very tasty, easy drinking beer.

Devil's Tramping Ground Tripel from Aviator Brewing Company