Devil's Tramping Ground Tripel - Aviator Brewing Company

Devil's Tramping Ground TripelDevil's Tramping Ground Tripel

Aviator Brewing Company visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Tripel |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: atsprings on 03-24-2009)
View: Beers (31) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
woodychandler

3.66/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My friends, or in this case, fiends, from North Carolina brought this for me on their latest visit to PA in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM) and all I CAN say is, It pays to advertise! My work wife, Spike, is currently teaching Dante Alegheri's "The Divine Comedy aka The Inferno" and she tells me that El Diablo resides in the 9th Circle of Hell. Man, I'll bet that he throws a rollicking party down there.

From the CAN: "Devil's Tramping Ground Tripel pours golden and finishes a bit sweet. Devil's Tripel has a light taste from the addition of sugar. We add just the right amount of hops to balance out the sweetness. The Devil's Tramping Ground is a North Carolina folklore legend. Legend says that this is the very place the devil himself [CAN] rise from the depths of fiery hell, and come to earth. Check it out at ...avitorbrew.com/dtg"; "MALTS: Pilsner and Vienna"; "HOPS: Saaz and Hallertau"; "IBU: 31 SRM: 5".

The Crack was loud and the room filled with a scent of burning sulfur, so I got out a Westmalle chalice and performed an exorcism in the form of an inverted Glug. I managed only a light skim of bone-white head that disappeared in the same puff of smoke that transported me to the 9th Circle of Hell. I was face-to-face with El Diablo and I could think of no other recourse than to raise my glass in a toast. He looked at me, threw his head back, laughed and raised is glass in return. My beer was a hazy golden-yellow (SRM = 5 and again, I am not going to argue, but instead use it as a calibrator), but none of my boys, King Midas, Croesus nor Mammon were around. My host informed me that they were otherwise engaged at the moment. Nose had a saison-like funk that cut through the malodorous stench of the place. Mouthfeel was medium and the black pepper and coriander taste was beautiful. A red serving wench showed me to a seat and asked me to sit down and lean back as she plied me with beer. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my host picking his teeth with his trident and smiling the most evil grin ever. Man, this was smooth and I was enraptured as the wench sat on my lap and began to grind at me. The relatively high ABV was lost in the mix and I was really running through this beer and although I knew better, I just could not help but suck it down. Finish was dry and it may have been from a simple lack of oxygen, but I was really starting to gasp. We uncoupled and his Satanic Majesty whisked me northward, to Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina and we parted company as strains of the Grateful Dead's "Friend of the Devil" could be heard on the wind. Shee-wit! You CAN bet that I will not be tempting fate with another one of these. YMMV, but you have been warned.

Say, my review numbers are wrong! It should be 6.66, NOT 3.66!

11-02-2013 15:02:49 | More by woodychandler
GarthDanielson

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter, the beer is a bright, crystal clear, vibrant, straw-gold coloring with a thin, whispy, white filmy ring on the surface. Aromas of toasted grains, cotton candy, butter, clove, and all spice. Very low profile aromas, but very well balanced and enticing. Flavors are tangy and roast initially, with a fruit overtone forward, followed by a bready and lemony blend, tangerine notes, bubblegum, and a hunk of spices, including nutmeg, clove, and all spice. Very balanced, but also remaining subtle throughout. There are no traces of this being a higher ABV beer. Smooth, robust body, but with rounded edges. The aftertaste is tangy sweet, with bubblegum and citrus notes in the forefront. A spicy linger, semisweet, smooth finish. Very tasty, easy drinking beer.

10-09-2013 01:13:56 | More by GarthDanielson
OldhouseRecs

10-02-2013 01:41:12 | More by OldhouseRecs
FilumDee

09-29-2013 23:53:22 | More by FilumDee
BullyBrewing

4.39/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours a very light golden color with a mild-moderate head. Very slight haze to it.

Aroma's are sweet and almost grapeish. Fruity esters are present which complement nicely.

Sweet and sugar tasting through and through on this one. Hides the 9.2% abv amazingly well.

Body is light to moderate. Carbonation is a bit light imo, but allows for a smoother drinkable beer that can get you into lots of trouble if you are not paying attention!

09-27-2013 16:17:27 | More by BullyBrewing
FortKnox15

09-24-2013 20:32:43 | More by FortKnox15
BryanCarey

3.56/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden in color, this beer has a bold nose that is perfumey, fruity, yeasty, and a little alcoholic. The body is a little hazy and the white foam does look nice following a good pour from the can.

This beer offers a taste about in- line with expectations for the style. The taste is yeasty, with some banana, bubble gum, clove, and candy- like character. Orange, citrus, and dried fruits can be detected as well and the pale and Vienna malts offer some stability as the beer hits you with the taste of alcohol, yeast, and fruit.

This is a decent representation of a Belgian triple and it has all of the characteristics one expects from this style. The alcohol flavor and candy- like character make it less than ideal as an everyday consumption type of brew, but it does seem like a good effort overall. Just beware of the alcohol if you consume- it can really catch up with you.

09-23-2013 04:32:13 | More by BryanCarey

mccallisters_dali

09-11-2013 01:11:06 | More by mccallisters_dali
GJ40

2.95/5  rDev -21.8%

Sampled in a standard pint glass from a can purchased the same day at the brewery.

Light golden (almost yellow) with decent clarity next to no head. Pretty lifeless. The aroma is green apple and cider. The flavor follows closely with an apple cider quality and little more. It's way too sweet for me and the low carbonation doesn't help. The alcohol is well hidden.

The brewery isn't far from me so I really wanted to like this one but I'm not sure I'll get through the four pack.

09-10-2013 00:54:46 | More by GJ40

08-23-2013 01:14:25 | More by zekeman17
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Surprisingly light beer for the abv, but pleasant enough if undistinguished. Soft and somewhat creamy in the mouth, and somewhat subdued flavors of Belgian yeast- cloves, banana, and in this case they are joined by bright citrus notes. Maybe not classic in style, but the citrus works and is also prominent in the nose. Pours very pale and with a thin head. Not bad, and a nice option in a can, but for me the high abv isn't worth the game.

08-16-2013 23:22:03 | More by Georgiabeer