Mad Beach Wheat - Aviator Brewing Company

North Carolina, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: tdm168 on 08-29-2011

Pretty mediocre wheat beer. Kind of like a Blue Moon brew but not as good. Starts out with a golden color and small fizzy head that fades fast. A slight note of wheat and orange in the nose. Flavor is bready malt, some citrus (lemon and orange) and a bit of wheat bitterness. Fairly mild and tastes more stale as the beer warms. Mouthfeel is light. The carbonation dies off pretty fast. I have had 3 beers from this brewery and this one is in the middle. Hot Rod Red is bad, this beer is mediocre and HogWild is fairly good.

2.14/5  rDev -28.9%

Just another terrible Aviator beer. Haven't tried many in a few years, so I thought I'd give this one a go...extremely bad beer all around, just like the others I've tried. Looks are the best thing this beer has going for it, and that's not saying much! Slight head and no lacing detracts from average wheat appearance. Smells like sweet feed and tube socks. Wheat is noticeable but still taste off, no hops to mention. I'm struggling to understand why this beer was even brewed if it doesn't give either the wheat of a pure wheat beer, nor any hops like the more popular hoppy wheat beers. Mouthfeel is mediocre at best, thin and weak IMO. Overall a very forgettable dull brew...how does Aviator stay in business when everything the make its so dull, drab and boring???

2.31/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

12oz can - this one is a pretty forgettable brew for me. The carbonation was way too much filling up most of the glass upon pouring extremely slowly and the taste just didn't do much for me, not even on a hot summers day which this is intended for.

3.47/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Golden orange color with a thick two finger head with decent retention.
Citrusy aroma with notes of white bread, orange peel and mint.
Refreshing flavor with notes of orange citrusy, spices, clean American yeast, floral and grassy hops, dough and bready malts and a mild tartness. Neither clove nor banana, fitting the style.
Light to medium body with appropriate carbonation.
Ultra refreshing and easy to drink American Wheat. I sure could have several of those at the beach (where I actually am right now). Not having much wheat malt increased its drinkability. Assertive, not complex, appropriate for the occasion it suggests.

3.13/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A-slightly hazy gold color with a white head
S- wheat, bread and lemon and orange aroma
T-get a metal taste with a hop aftertaste. You get some wheat taste in later sips
M-light body and medium carbonation
O-It was OK. the metal taste just did not leave my mouth during the whole beer. It did have some wheat and orange flavors and I will try on again to see if it was just this beer.

3.16/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Pours a very lightly hazy medium straw yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation rising quickly from the bottom of the glass and some faint golden yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall dense foamy white head that reduces to a thick film covering the entire surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of wheat, bready malts, citrus/orange rind, and hints of spicy hops.

T: Moderate flavors of slightly sweet wheat with a touch of tartness to it along with a light to moderate flavor of bready malts. There is a light amount of citrus/orange rind bitterness and just a hint of spicy hops. Overall, light amounts of bitterness in the finish.

M: Medium bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly creamy.

O: This is easy enough to drink and refreshing but not great - there is something that is slightly out of harmony in the flavor of this beer which does not make me want to have a second one.

2.92/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

The only headache-inducing beer I've had in the triangle area, and I've had most of them. When I had a sip, it had a slight chemical taste, but I ended up having another 1.5 after that one, because it wasn't terrible. Had plenty of water and still woke up with a light hangover at 5am. No thanks. Doesn't taste bad overall, but whatever is in it, it lives up to the name.

3.22/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured on-tap at the Tap House and served in a shaker pint, the beer is a crystal clear, gold coloring with a tall, light, frothy white head. Nose of butter and toffee, with a subtle toasted grain backbone. Flavors of buttered bread and toasted grains, with an overall rich and sweet character. Smooth, thick bodied for the style. Sweet and rich aftertaste, with a slick, smooth finish. Missed the boat on the style here.

3.92/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4

I drank this at a halfway decent Tex-Mex restaurant at Cameron Village in Raleigh.

First impression: I immediately regretted ordering it. The first sip was like no other beer I've had before. Sour, but not necessarily bad tasting, just a bad first impression because this beer is so unique.
About halfway through my meal (I was eating a somewhat spicy Chimichanga) the taste became amazing. It's an acquired taste that can be appreciated halfway through a pint glass.

There was a lacing on the glass from top to bottom when I was finished. Like no other wheat beer I've had. Would recommend, would order again. Don't let the unique smell and taste scare you off!

4.17/5  rDev +38.5%

i like this beer because it reminds me of the pilsner i grew up on. I sometimes like the lighter beers and this one was a nice one. It has a taste of orange in it. The bartender told me that they use some oranges in the beer when they brew it! Can you imagine that! Beer has come along way i guess.

I grew up in a part of florida that does not have many microbrews and it is great that so many new breweries are starting.

i liked this beer. It was smooth, and had a nice finish to it.

3.1/5  rDev +3%

On tap at Leesville Tap Room.

Arrived a pale gold with no head. Smell is faint yeast and wheat notes. Taste is odd; creamy sourness from the yeast and very light wheat flavor. Very mild hops are noticeable in the finish. Mouthfeel is crisp and light.

Something wasn't right about this beer. The sour, creamy taste was disconcerting. I'd say it was infected, but it's a flavor I noticed when I had their Steamhead also. I've also noticed a similar foul taste in some Triangle beers. This one definitely isn't for me.

Mad Beach Wheat from Aviator Brewing Company