Rapscallion Creation - Rapscallion

Rapscallion CreationRapscallion Creation

Rapscallion visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: guinness33 on 11-03-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rapscallion Creation Alström Bros
Doomcifer

Rhode Island

1.7/5  rDev -57.2%

Poured a hazy ruby/dark brown...3/4 inch of frothy head that retains decently for a short couple of minutes and reduces to nothing, leaving almost no lacing.

Smells a lot like black currants. Other sweet fruits are all over the aroma, including some phenolic smells. Not bad.

Taste is EXTREMELY tart & sour - also ends very dry and...smoky. Tastes of moldy wood and moss with extremely tart green apples. Medicinal flavors. This is really too much and am struggling on how I am going to be able to drink this. I really do not like this.

Mouthfeel is very lightly carbonated and milky.

There is no way on gods green earth that this is even remotely drinkable, for me anyway.

I am not a fan.

11-05-2006 03:57:15 | More by Doomcifer
SteveP

United Kingdom (England)

2.2/5  rDev -44.6%

Cask GBBF. I think this took the award for the crappiest beer at GBBF. Confused muddle of flavours. Leather and vinegar and mint and acid aroma. Blah! Undrinkable nonsense of mixed flavours. A rotten mess.

Interesting to see that they make some kind of claims for this being a challenging and intriquing beer. In other words they just threw some stuff together and hoped it would work, and that beer geeks would get excited about it. Very sad.

10-10-2004 22:42:01 | More by SteveP
tavernjef

2.48/5  rDev -37.5%

What a strange color, looks almost black, but up to the light it looks like a murky cola brown, head is off-white, small and tight, fades fast to a fluffy ring, and super thin stings of lace. Smell reminds me of purple grape juice, has some oaky sourness and musky yeast, touches of alcohol, acetone cleaner, & plastic. Taste is mild with a sour overlay thats like grape juice and not much else, weak sweetened malts, sugary, slightly bittering with a dryness of grape skins or white wine. Feel is quite light and thin with a quick souring effect and ends just as quickly with a slight dryness. Not sure what this beer is attempting, it had me baffled and took forever to finish. Not sure if I'm getting bad bottles from the Rapscallion line or what, but man this wasn't very good. What are you doing to me UncleJimbo? Aahhhgg? ; )

11-12-2003 02:31:49 | More by tavernjef
feloniousmonk

2.5/5  rDev -37%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A proud devil displays his glass on the bottleneck, and I'm eager to join him in raising a chalice to down this much anticipated ale.
Color, dark brown with tall, but quickly dissipating darkish head. Aroma is very vinous, dominated by dark fruits, cherries and grapes, sweet, like a port wine, but not too dark and syrupy, actually feeling more like a cherry soda
Taste: a blast of hops on the palate, with a full body, and persistent flavor, thick, but somewhat cloying in the texture, full of sweet and strong fruitiness, then the sour kicks in, again, and again, and the body thins some, with the sour character winning over. Feels a bit like a flat grape soda, perhaps I've gotten a bad bottle?
...so I said in April of '03 in my little beer review notebook and I was determined to give it another chance, which came along in June..."Beautiful, deep dark ruby hue, nice, highly carbonated, darkish head...fruity, grapey, spritzy, deep, heady, full, but missing a lot, just grape juicy, like the other one, flat and lacking in yeast, malt, hops..."
I'd been assured that my suspicion that this poor taste was a result of a bad bottle was far from fact, by several, including the beer's creator, who suggested that perhaps I just don't like that kind of beer. Could I be the only cretin on God's Green Earth who doesn't like this beer? Well, I've since seen similar sentiments posted and come forth now as not a lone heretic, but sure in my sentiments that what ever was in these bottles was not what I was looking for, nor anything that I can rightly enjoy. It just ain't all that good. There, I said it...
...and I thank jeffboo for the bottles!
(For what it's worth, I liked Premiere and Blessing quite a bit!)

12-02-2003 07:34:26 | More by feloniousmonk
gentlebubbles

2.73/5  rDev -31.2%

on cask at Redbone's

Reddish dark brew lightens to copper at the bottom. The strong white head would have topped an inch if the server hadn't tipped some out and topped up the glass. Toffee scent. Caramel, butterscotch and clove swirl through the heavy body. Unfortunately it takes on flat, syrupy, and warm qualities from the cask. It needs more carbonation to lift it. The clove taste steadily grows until I can't take it anymore. No finish. I couldn't either.

05-24-2004 17:39:06 | More by gentlebubbles
winomark

Missouri

2.8/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a ncie deep amber with some red hues. Thick, fluffy light tan head. Warm, malty nose. Slight toast noticable. Nice and inviting. Interesting palate. Sweet malt, yet slightly acidic. Yeasty esters noticable. No hops. Somewhat unpleasant to me. Mouthfeel is good, with carbonation adding lightness, but with a slightly thick, sour finish. To me, this beer looks and smells better than it tastes. Not a fan of the sweet and sour palate. Won't try again.

11-25-2004 14:48:14 | More by winomark
snilsen13

3.05/5  rDev -23.2%

A - very dark red, not cloudy, very thin head

S - yeasty, hints of raspberry

T - mild overall, slightly sweet and tart. gentle sting of carbonation and minimla aftertaste. could be a thirst quencher. flavor of alcohol is conspicuously missing. consider the ABV, this is very peculiar.

M - very slightly syrupy, otherwise very watery.

D - fair. easily drank, but not with much payoff.

08-14-2006 02:09:45 | More by snilsen13
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.13/5  rDev -21.2%

Dull crimson with multiple streams of angry carbonation creating an expansive crown of pale caramel beige. The foam is stiff and airy rather than creamy or sticky and is a pretty lousy lacer as a result. The beer itself looks good enough, but the transient cap certainly isn't what I would expect for an American strong ale. Besides, there's way too much carbonation for the style.

The nose is different as well, but is more to my liking than the appearance. It's primarly sweet and sour fruity with notes of berries, cherries, grapes and plums. Despite the 'Dark Reserve Beer' on the label, it doesn't smell all that dark. I don't pick up any dark fruits (such as raisins), for instance.

Rapscallion Creation is definitely an interesting creation, but it isn't an especially good one. Either Concord Brewery has a vastly different idea of what constitutes a strong ale than I do or something went horribly wrong in the execution of this beer. For starters, the mouthfeel would be more at home on a pale ale. An undermalted pale ale.

This is a pathetically thin ASA that has no hope of providing any of the various malt-related flavors that most beer of this style is known for... because there's so little malt on hand. Creation tastes like tart fruit (now cherries and lemons) with a little watery caramel drizzled over top. A faint oakiness doesn't help the cause either. Fortunately or unfortunately, it's all washed away almost as soon as contact is made with the taste buds.

Hard to believe the ABV. I detect very little evidence of alcohol on the palate and I can't say that I'm feeling much of it either, even though I'm well into the bottle. American weak ale is more like it. Given the yawning gap between what the Brits and the Yanks consider a 'strong' ale to be, I might be able to go along with English strong ale. Might.

As noted, the body/mouthfeel is a disgrace. It may be picking up a modicum of viscosity as it warms... nah, not really. Interesting that the wild initial carbonation is now incredibly tame and that the beer feels almost flat. Something in the middle of those two extremes would have been nice.

I love the label on Rapscallion Creation, a beer-related play on Michelangelo's "The Creation of Adam" from the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. It's too damn bad that the beer isn't anywhere near that inspired though. Perhaps a more fitting name would be Rapscallion Destruction after what it has done to my expectations.

10-21-2006 15:53:07 | More by BuckeyeNation
krberg

Oregon

3.2/5  rDev -19.4%

According to the brewtrak notes this was bottled in 03/22/03. I got it out of a cooler 03/12/04

Dark brown with very little head. I just had two bad Rapscallions (I've only ever had 2 Rapscallions) so I'm kind wary of this beer.

Smells like wood, nuts and molasses. Odd combo, but good.

Mmmm, sweet and sour and nutty. I'm getting a little "bottlecap" taste here too. I guess this beer wasn't stored correctly. Lots of alcohol taste. As my palette aborbs the flavors I'm left with chocolate. I guess I found the Nutella of beers.

The mouthfeel is pretty thick. It seems on par with the flavors.

Its a little too sweet and filling for me. I just don't see myself drinking a lot of this beer.

This is a beer I will save for when I am already drunk and my tastebuds have gone to bed. At 9.5% it will be a nice fast kick into a land devoid of rational thought. For this sunday afternoon, I think I'll put it down the drain and drink something I actually like.

03-14-2004 20:40:03 | More by krberg
yossarian14

3.2/5  rDev -19.4%

A - Pours a clean, clear mahogany red when backlit, but standing there in the shadows where its spending most its time, Creation is black as night. There is an impressive light tan head that audibly fizzled during the pour but it has since disappeared, leaving a thin film of foam with almost no lacing to speak of.

S - I smell dark ripe fruit, rasins, grapes, fruity yeast, caramel. All these aromas are cloaked in a mildly tart backdrop. Not being a huge fan of anything beyond the mildest of sour flavors in my beer, I'm fearing my first sip.

TM - The first feeling is a tart prickly carbonation up front. As the flavor spreads I get more of the dark fruit and caramel. I detect a slight woodiness in the finish. The tart flavors are a little much for me.

D - The aftertaste is short and dry. I have no problem drinking this slowly, as it is a sipper, but the 9.5% is well hidden. While I am enjoying this beer, its not one I'll likely seek out again...oh its been retired, then I have nothing to worry about.

03-13-2009 00:38:26 | More by yossarian14
FLAbeergutinMASS

3.28/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Second time around with this brewery, for some reason I cannot get the sense that these beers tate like they are an alocholic version os V-8.

A nice looking beer. Deep ruby in color, with an ocean wash head. There is just something missing from its tates characteristics. i would say that the alcohol is well hidden...amongst a cherry kool-aid flavor, but that wouldn't be it. Overly sugary sweet.

Maybe I am missing the boat with Rapcallion, but I'm not digg'n em.

12-11-2005 04:34:48 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS
BeefyMee

Connecticut

3.33/5  rDev -16.1%

Appearance: Nice color. Very, very dark reddish brown. But I had to coax the head out.

Smell: Vinous and sort of just like artificial grape flavor. There's also an alcohol aroma that's more like rubbing alcohol than anything else.

Taste: This really seems like either a Belgian strong dark or a Fantome-like saison. The taste is very vinous again, I'd say like Merlot, with a strange underlying flavor. I can't quite put my finger on this mystery flavor but it is almost chocolatey in some sense. Not even a trace of alcohol in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Simply great. Not very tangy or alcoholic but surprisingly rich and creamy.

Drinkability: One is good but I wouldn't have another. I can start to feel the alcohol in my stomach and throat and the wine-like aspect might get on my nerves after a while.

Beef Notes: For a 10% beer, it's hard to really find the alcohol. Very clever, guys. Maybe I'll get it again for a holiday dinner or something. Oh yeah, and for god's sake, let the beer warm up a bit! You'll be much happier.

04-06-2004 01:34:23 | More by BeefyMee
mmmbeer

3.45/5  rDev -13.1%

First off, this is one of the best beer labels out there, hands down. Brewed with Czech hops to 18 IBUs with an original gravity of 1.085; 15% of the batch is aged in oak barrels and blended back in. It is a clear, deep maroon, with lively carbonation and a noisy inch of tan head that quickly recedes to almost nothing and leaves no lacing. There is a vinous grape character to the nose, along with a touch of oak. It tastes musty and aged, with dark fruits (grape, plum, raisin), nectarine, fruity yeast, just a hint of spicy hops, and a light, but slowly increasing oak presence. The body is medium and dry, with ample carbonation and a malty/vinous finish. A tasty, very malty beer that definitely shows some age, but would probably be better if fresher or if properly (not store shelf) aged.

02-25-2009 23:16:45 | More by mmmbeer
tboom29

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

When I picked this up, I was actually expecting a Black Beer. This is more like a doppelbock, I thought. The color was a deep ruby, not much head or lacing. Fruity/spicy smell. Hints of oak come through also on the nose. As it was colder, the alcohol definitely came through. Quite fruity and spicy up front. Malty throughout. When it's colder, lacks much body, but gains more mouthfeel as it warms. It appeared to be highly carbonated upon pour, but did not turn out that way. I'll try this beer again, really should let this warm up prior to drinking.

05-01-2006 20:50:47 | More by tboom29
aracauna

Georgia

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

Not much head but the body is an interesting dark red (with an almost purplish tint) wine-like color. The vinuous character continues into the aroma mixed with worcestershire sauce. I was worried about an infection, but it wasn't sour (I didn't realize this was a belgian style). Instead, it was soft, a bit sweet and a little winey. A really odd beer.

12-04-2002 23:44:05 | More by aracauna
bierdfly

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours nicely with what I would consider a perfect head - starts out with a nice one, and diminishes to a "crema". Speaking of crema, looking straight at it reminds me of a dark coffee. Holding it up to the light reveals a reddish-brown coloring.

You can really smell this one. I felt that the smell was not at all like the taste - the smell was a dry chocolatey smell.

Taste - has a sweet/tart flavor that really grabs you on the way down. Kind of like a sour grape, although not quite as pungent. Although it isn't as heavy and the feel is different, it has some flavors in common with some barleywines I've had.

Mouthfeel is definitely like cola in terms of carbonation.

My first one I poured the whole glass into a goblet and drank slowly while reading. Took about 30 minutes to drink, so by the end the alcohol was much more noticeable and overall it felt more syrupy. The one I'm having now I'm drinking a bit faster and really using to describe what I taste.

Overall I liked it and am glad I bought it - I'll enjoy the other two I have. However, this is not completely up my alley. I would order it if I were out, but probably not buy another 4 pack unless it fit into a theme at my local beer club.

BTW - I dig the sexy she-devil on the box-top. Perhaps they should embellish a little more on her!

09-19-2003 20:52:10 | More by bierdfly
beernut7

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The aroma off this dark concoction wafts a yeasty fruit and malt aroma with hints of musky raisin. The initial taste is sharply malty with tones of earthy raisins and an somewhat edgey yeast ester. There is a definite latent bitterness and a quick hint of coffee toward the end of the glass. Very raw and sharply flavored.

01-29-2003 19:37:34 | More by beernut7
hoppymeal

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%

The beer pours a muddy brownish red with dark orange. The initial aroma after pouring is appley sweet aromas mixed with a light perfuminess. After settling the sweet caramel malty aromas also come thru. The taste is at first sweet but finishes with a little tartness. The finish is a dry slightly bitter, peppery taste. The beer has a thinner, less viscous mouthfeel than I expected. Overall an enjoyable interesting beer.

04-10-2006 22:00:27 | More by hoppymeal
reeder

3.6/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

a nice _deep_ amber color. I don't have a goblet unfortunately, so I poured this beer into my old standby pint glass. With a reasonable hard pour I received a thin head that was quite persistent.

an interesting grapey almost red wine smell.

with a couple deep swigs, I was greeted by a smooth sour apple taste up front. all kinds of fruity flavors were followed by a distinct tart finish that really hit me in the back of the throat. This is not a creamy dark beer.

This beer is a little too tart for my tastes, but definitely drinkable. I don't know about calling this an American Strong Ale. It is strong, and american; but nothing like the other beers I have had in this style. It kind of seems in the same vein as Newcastle to me. So, maybe more of a Strong British Dark Ale? Overall, i think this beer is better than average in all aspects but not spectacular.

07-07-2007 23:10:18 | More by reeder
PhantomVodoo

3.63/5  rDev -8.6%

Brewtrak 0011.

Red hued brown in color with a tan head that sticks around.
Aroma of rich, sweet malt, hops, and sour notes.

Taste is kind of like sweet and sour sauce (unfortunately, I don't like sweet and sour). Rich, sweet, dark, caramel malt flavor immediately followed by a sour twang. Not sure if this is how it normally taste or if this was just a bad bottle. (Editing because I just checked the website and they mention the sweet and sour character as typical). Either way, the sour notes were too strong for me to really enjoy this one. The alcohol was never noticed in the taste despite being 9.5% ABV.

Above average mouthfeel.
Drinkability would be much better minus the sour side of this beer.

09-03-2003 02:01:55 | More by PhantomVodoo
gotbeer

3.65/5  rDev -8.1%

A- This beer pours a dark, almost black color with a decent head at first that fades quickly.

S- Overly ripe fruit comes to mind

T- Raisens, currants, and rum all come to mind. Lots of complexity, and it hides it's ABV pretty well, with some warming fussels after your sip. Complex and interesting to sip.

M- A little thin for the mouthfeel.

D- ABV is a little high, and the mouthfeel a little thin for me to want more than a couple.

Overall, a good beer that I'll have again.

10-14-2005 23:55:38 | More by gotbeer
carln26

Missouri

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

Jumped on this beer immediately when I saw it on the board as the cask beer at RedBones. The color was a deep red/mahogany. Clear, yet it seemed to absorb light. There was a slight head, and no lace (too bad, since this was poured from the cask). The nose was of black cherry, and maybe ribbon candy from Christmas. The taste was alcohol in the front, the black cherry in the middle, and the malt on the back end giving the candy taste I caught on the nose. It had a medium/heavy body. I don’t think I could drink many of these due to the sweetnedd, and the heavy alcohol feel, but it is a very interesting beer. Hats off to the folks at Concord once again.

08-29-2004 18:13:55 | More by carln26
MrSeth

3.73/5  rDev -6%

App: Small head, leaves a pretty substantial ring of foam. The body looks opaque at first but the rich amber tones at the edges tell a different story.

Sm: Heavy musk at first, richly malty and slight hops. The smell relaxes into a warm and greeting aroma. Not unlike a Belgian dark.

Ta: Very similar to the Blessing, but with these improvements: the hops have subtled so now the malt may better be appreciated. This is one heck of a winter warmer! Perfect for this bitter cold season [NE].

Mf: Good but pretty standard.

Da: Yes very! This one might be a bit heavy for a noontime brew in the middle of summer, but for a refreshment in New England in March... forget about it!

03-19-2006 21:29:19 | More by MrSeth
ManekiNeko

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle served at cellarish temperatures in a Rapscallion goblet.

Appearance: Dark reddish brown with a yellowish head that recedes to a ring and leaves wee blobs of lace.

Smell: Toasty, bready, almost stale cereal smell with hints of wood and dark fruit (raisins, plums). Leather, tobacco, and licorice notes.

Taste: Sweet pruny and raisiny flavors at first, quickly giving way to a sour, woody aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light bodied, probably due to the acidity from the wood aging. Tannic overtones.

Drinkability: A interesting beer to say the least. Of the Rapscallion line, I gotta give the most props to Blessing. This is worth the try, though, mostly so you can taste the effects of bona fide wood aging.

Thanks to Uncle Jimbo and BIF 4.0.

01-13-2004 02:43:44 | More by ManekiNeko
beachbum1975

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

A shout out goes to BanditBrewingCo for this retired extra! I acquired this one in a trade with him in October and it's been sitting in the cellar since.

Here in Cincinnati, we are in the middle of an ice and snow "crisis", so I thought it's time to have a nice beer.

Beautiful label on this one with Michelangelo-style God pouring Adam the divine nectar. There's a BREWTRAK spot on the right side of the label, but I can't tell what the stamp says (smeared). No idea on the age of this beer.

The beer gave a little puff as I pried the top off, so the seal appeared intact. Pours an attractive dark maple syrup color with no head. (After reading some reviews on this beer, I was surprised there was none... It might have to do with its' age)

Smells of sweet, syrupy malts and light vanilla... Not a whole lot on the nose.

Surprisingly, there was medium carbonation on the mouth remaining though it was hidden from the eye (none after the pour). Medium bodied and medium to full flavored mix of sweet malts, light vanilla, much like the nose and even much more like an American barleywine! I get a Belgian twang, like from candied sugars, as well. Mouthfeel was wet and finished with slight sourness on the finish.

Thanks again, Alan!