Hop Freak - Milwaukee Brewing Company

Beer added by: Hendrick24 on 02-14-2014

Ratings: 133 | Reviews: 17
Reviews by guityler83:
3.65/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Can to teku, the beer produced a bright white 2+ finger head comprised of fine bubbles. Great retention, the foam sustained for a good minute and change before slowly falling into the murky, hazy copper liquid. When the foam fell it left behind staggered cotton looking lacing. No sediment or hop particles.

S: Restrained hop aroma. Mild grapefruit, citrus and pine aromas with an underlying earthy-ness I associate with english hops. No ethanol or off aromas detected. Biscuity, cracker like malt nose peaks through, but more tame then the hops.

T: A burst of citrus hop bitterness, similar grapefruity aroma. As it develops on the taste buds the pine comes through followed by a large malt backbone ripe with bread crust, toast, crackers and biscuit flavors (fairly complex for an IPA!). Trucking along, the earthy hop vibe comes through at the end along with a slightly sweet finish. Balance is on the hops but.. interestingly in the middle, not by much.

M: A moderate bodied beer with carbonation being on the verge of being to much at fridge temperatures. Slight mouth drying astringency from all of the hop oils left on the pallet.

O: A Mid-West IPA with tons of malt flavor. I would have liked to seen this beer burst my face with aroma and dial back the maltyness (since it is an IIPA), but style aside it is a solid beer and probably one of the best MKE Brewing beers I've had. Keep 'em comin' boys!

4.06/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Pours brilliant amber under a clingy 2” off-white persistent foam collar with a very fine bead.
S: Melon, citrus, mint, light floral.
T: Starts with creamy melon lightly sweetened by malt and then a big grapefruit rind bitterness emerges tempered by a light pineapple sweetness, finishing with a lingering fruit bitterness blended with a slight tea-like tannic bitter. Mild herbal astringency on the finish.
F: Creamy, medium body, medium low carbonation.
O: An easy to drink DIPA with a complex bitterness.

4.43/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at the Water St. Brewpub. Poured a slightly dark Amber color with solid head. Great piney hop notes on the nose with clean hop flavors and finish throughout. Slightly malty but the hop character shines. Nice on the tongue too. Overall, a solid double that I would drink again.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

16 fl oz. can, with no apparent canned on date present. Picked up the four pack of this from the local beer store. Glad to see Milwaukee Brewing Company canning their beers now. This one complete with hop monster can artwork. Infused with Jasmine tea. Sounds pretty good so far.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a nice bright golden orange colored body with two fingers of creamy off-white head. Some thin spotty lacing, but not much. Still, it looks very nice.

S - The smell is mostly all caramel / toffee malt forward, I'm not getting any citrus or grapefruit or any of the usual big bitter hop suspects. If I didn't know any better, I would think this beer was old based on the aroma. It is herbal / vegetal, but not what I would describe as hoppy. I think I can discern the Jasmine at times, but it is faint. Mild alcohol fumes.

T - Taste follows the nose - mostly caramel malt forward, but there is a big drying hop bitterness on the finish. Resinous and piney. Fairly simple in all honesty, and I'm not able to discern any noticeable effect from the added Rishi tea. The 8.70% abv is well-hidden, but slightly warming & noticeable.

M - The feel is crisp upon the initial sip and goes down smooth, but finishes dry, bitter, piney, & resinous. Medium bodied with good carbonation.

Overall, it's actually not a bad beer, but it definitely has room for improvement. Not what I would call a 'Hop Freak' that's for sure. I'm not sure that the tea added much either, but I have three more cans of this stuff to mull it over.

Milwaukee Brewing Company Hop Freak ---3.5/5

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very easy to drink for a double IPA

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Excellent beer - pours a very nice amber with a 1 finger head that settles but sticks around, and leaves nice lacing. Surprisingly light tasting for 8.7% abv, I like the jasmine flavor. Smell is great, although taste is just a bit unexpected because of the tea, but that's more a matter of expectations than an actual issue, I really enjoy drinking this.

A very above average DIPA, I've enjoyed this a couple times now and in the sea of double/imperial IPAs out there this is worth picking up.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours hazed amber with a fluffy off-white head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is herbal/floral/tea-like with citrus notes and caramel.

The taste is herbal and citric. The tea flavor waters down the citric hop presence. The Rishi tea mixes in to make it unique, but too medicinal/herbal. It has a bittersweet tea and caramel finish.

It is medium-bodied. Pretty smooth with alcohol relatively well-hidden.

Not as hoppy as the name implies. The addition of tea is unique, but not really my "cup of tea". Certainly worth trying, though, for a "different" DIPA.

3.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tasted from a 1 pint can on January 2, 2015.

3.91/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a very nice golden color. Smell is more grainy than you would expect from a IIPA but not in a bad way. The taste is where the hops come through. Not a malt bomb nor a hop bomb. It has a very good mouthfeel, not a sticky/sweet mess, and the alcohol is hidden (maybe a bit too well). Really good beer at a nice price point, $7.99/4pk 16oz cans.

3.51/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A longtime Milwaukee Ale House fan, it's been great seeing their beers more widely distributed.

This one pours into a pint a hazy golden (slightly too bright & yellow for my idea of a DIPA, but still nice) with a compact & lingering head that gives way to persistent lacing. My crummy sense of smell reveals little, so it lacks the bold nose of many DIPAs.

On first sip it's a very carbonated, hop forward "big and bitter" beer. While it is not freakishly out of balance, eschewing all traces of malty sweetness for a blast of piney hop bitterness, it is safe to call this a "hop bomb". The carbonation plants the bitter hops on the tongue and they linger after you swallow in a long bitter finish which is not necessarily all a good thing. Ale House & MKE after them, have not generally tended towards big hoppy beers. This is a welcome addition to their line-up. And for folks who like long-finishing bitter beer, this is a nice choice.

The tea doesn't seem to add much - I don't get much jasmine or tea profile. Perhaps with a little malt sweetness to carry the delicate flavors of the tea, it might have been more pronounced. But in this Freak, the hops bury all.

The instructions on the side of the can: "how to drink craft beer from a can: get a glass; pour the beer; cheers" firmly resolves what may have become a contentious issue for some.

Thank you Hop Freak.

4.41/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear orange with a monster head that is sticking around, which is nice for a beer at 8.7

Smell is a blast of citrus, orange, herbal hop, grapefruit, pine, toffee and caramel

Taste is orange, pine needle, caramel, herbal hop, bittering resin type flavor, some flavor I can not pinpoint it could be tea but I doubt it. some tangerine, a definite grapefruit bitterness in the finish which is balanced by a nice bready/caramel sweetness

Mouthfeel is big on this one, sweet a little boozy and even a little oily but with a nice drying finish.

Frankly I do not understand the 82 on this one, I know this is not most peoples favorite WI brewery but ill be damned if they didn't nail this one. Sure they didn't reinvent the wheel but this a DIPA that I think if were poured blind would fair a bit better.

Also I have a hard time believing the Tea adds anything here, I would really love to try this without it frankly.

4.1/5  rDev +12.6%

Got scared when I read this was tea infused just now after buying it but it is a minimal impression from the tea and may add just a hint of earthiness.....

Overall this was well priced....8.50 for four 16 ounce cans and I was kind of expecting it to be run of the mill. I've had Milwaukee Brewing beers many times before and have been to their place as well. My impressions were not bad but certainly not great.

This beer is a bit of a step up from what I have had....DIPA with a nice floral/tropical aroma. Taste is very tropical. I'd describe it as a grilled pineapple flavor up front..a little toffee like malt backing.

Nice flavors...enjoyable beer....body is medium...not big and syrupy at all. Probably drinks more like a bigger IPA. I liked Summit's Ho Silo but would drink this if offered the two.

I'm not ready to put this on my Mount Rushmore of DIPA's but I'll tell you what. This is an enjoyable beer and at the price point I will likely be revisiting this. Very solid and tasty offering.

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%

This is a beast of a beer, and while I'm on the train of drinking DIPAs less in the 10-11% abv range and more in the 8-9% range, this has been a wonderful treat. It certainly smells like a Hop Freak, and the taste does not disappoint. HUGE grapefruit notes, accented by jasmine tea, which I can definitely pick up, and some unassuming but sweet malts. It's a smidge more bitter than you'd expect, and that's the tea addition talking, but it's very smooth and I love how the tea influences the flavor just as much as the hops do. Unfortunately, I will not be purchasing more of this, because I am highly sensitive to caffeine and it has enough to set me off and cause a lot of nerve pain if I'm not careful (and when I contacted the brewery about it, just to ask how much caffeine is in it, or if they could try and find out for me, they didn't even respond). Still, if you're NOT sensitive to caffeine and you enjoy both teas and IPAs (as I do), then definitely seek this out, I can't imagine you'd be disappointed. Delicious.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

Obviously nobody here would ever judge a book by its cover or a beer by its label/can but c'mon a cool as pint can with an apparent hop monster from a local Milewaukee Brewery who could resist? Not me, for sure. And did it pay off, pours a hazy amber, maybe chill haze not sure but with a big frothy head that has serious staying power with serious lacing ability. Dank citrus floral nose, tastes of grapefruit, grapefruit and more grapefruit. If you didn't tell me this was a double I wouldn't have guessed nor that its abv is 8+ super tangy and bitter in all the right ways wish it was hotter out but still great on any occasion, defiantly has put MKE Milwaukee Brewing Co. on my map and it should be on yours as well!

3.86/5  rDev +6%

Aroma is citrus, spices and light pine/mint. The flavor is grapefruit, citrus dank/mildly resiny hops, spices, a hint of fruit/candy/sugar, medium body, malts and a mix of bitter/tangy and very slight heat in the finish. Not overly bitter and balanced pretty well.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Only good warm. Really, you let this beer sit out for 2 hours and it tastes great. Don't remember another beer that works that way.

3.41/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Brewed and bottled (or canned) by Milwaukee Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 8.7% Alc. by Vol. 1 pint can.

A scaly green monster lurks on the label, hops at his feet, pint of ale in hand. "Born big & bitter."The logo of "Rishi tea" sits off to the right of the beast. That's one curious thing about this D.I.P.A. Can't seem to remember another tea-infused DIPA. Let's go ahead and drink it:

Lightly hazy, apricot-hued, smallish white head. Enticing enough.

Aroma: Not getting hardly any hop bitterness, but I can smell the tea, alright. The aromatic delights of a big, bold bitter DIPA are largely missing here. Was this intentional? A DIPA without a flowering, engaging aromatic element is not a thing of joy.

Taste: Fruit, citrus, grapefruit, and then the big, bold hop bitterness, which hangs on the palate for a time. Hop bitterness lays long on the palate, but subsides enough for smooth malt to take over for a time. I'm still, though, puzzled about the idea of infusing tea into a beer of this kind, wondering why, and for what purpose.

Maybe the copy on the can will tell me? Here it is: "Herb-In Legend is our series of adventure brews. A collaboration with Milwaukee's own Rishi TEa, this IPA is infused with organic Jasmine, lending it a sweet, floral aroma. Strong citrus notes come from a generous amount of American hops. Hop Freak was born big and bitter but a sizable malt bill adds balance to the beast."

Well, a beast with a name like this should be more unbridled, I should think (and do, actually).The tea-infusion doesn't seem to add anything, instead it seems to dilute it. It certainly drinkable, and even enjoyable, but you keep missing something as it travels down the throat. You keep wondering if it could have been better. Every brewery should strive to bring it's fans one really great double IPA (okay, not every one, I'm not going to demand that of August Schell, for instance), and this is not that one from MKE. Maybe they've got another up their sleeve?

Hop Freak from Milwaukee Brewing Company