Baltic Porter - Milwaukee Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Baltic Porter |  ABV ?

Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 08-16-2010

2.45/5  rDev -17.8%

poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Dark brown bodied beer with a tan head. not much lacing noted.

Smell: oak and nutty notes. Cocoa.

Taste: moderate malt profile that tastes similiar to a brown ale. Its fruity, nutty, and has a mild astringency noted. Not much barrel notes going on in this beer. I get a sour taste from this beer too.

Mouthfeel: On the light end of a medium bodied beer. Carbonation is moderate.

Overall: Its just an out of place beer, not even close to a baltic porter style. Reminds me of an infected brown ale.

2.89/5  rDev -3%

Another one brought back from dairyland, and my first from this brewery.

Milwaukee Brewing Company, Baltic Porter, Barrel-aged Lager

Murky brown body, considerable floating particles…how'd they get in there, what are they doing? slim head, starts big, gets down to nothing', a dull brown.

Aroma, smoky and oaky. Even-tempered, malty, hints of cocoa.

Taste: Chocolatey, smokey malt, little hints of fruit. Carbonation is brisk, and the flavor is turning slightly sour. I'm not sure what I think of this one. Flavor isn't winning me over, it's lacking…something. I want to like it, I wish I did, really, just not doing anything for me.

I conferred with opinions on BeerAdvocate, and I'm not alone in down-thumbing this one. Hopefully my next experiences with Milwaukee are better.

2.08/5  rDev -30.2%

12 oz pour into my New Belgium snifter with an off white head. Dark red in color when held to the light. Very little aroma to speak of, just some charred wood & almost a pungent sour odor. Normally I like the subtle sour smell of Baltic Porters, but this isn't subtle & it isn't working for me. Taste is more of the same, but amplified. None of the vanilla flavor you might expect from a beer labeled as barrel aged is present. Mouthfeel is thin, and overall, this beer is a disappointment. I used to live in Milwaukee, so the homer in me really wanted to like this beer, but I can't say that I'll try it again.

3.43/5  rDev +15.1%

12 oz bottle purchased as a single. Must be getting old as I was excited to see this never seen before beer, only to remember once I got home that I had this on tap two weeks ago. Ah, good times.

Dark brown with an off white froth and plenty of amoeba cling

Smells of fruity esters, raisin, plum, and smoke

Tastes are certainly foreshadowed by the smell here. Smoke and char on the back leave a mildly bitter finish that couples with the light fruity yeast presence. Honestly cannot pull any barrel presence here.

Wish this was a bit bolder and snappier. Mouthfeel is light and creamy. A respectable effort that could use a tweak.

3.29/5  rDev +10.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter. No date or info. "Barrel-Aged"

A - Clear but very dark brown, almost black, with a beautiful off-white head. The dense dollop of cream-like foam rested gently on the surface and lingered for a while before leaving little bits of lace.

S - Cold and slightly metallic, Milwaukee Brewing Co.'s Baltic Porter has low notes of roasted malt bringing with it hints of bitter chocolate and cocoa with coffee. Interestingly, it smells more like an ale with the fruity, yeast ester-like notes which are stronger than the typical Baltic porter aromas present. Very slight hops too.

T - This is much more ale-like in taste too. Fruity notes come out again, imparting prune and fig. Coffee is the main bi-product of really roasted malts followed by a little bit of semi-sweet chocolate. No barrel aging is apparent until it warms up a bit then barely pokes through.

M - Full-bodied and rich with a mild dry and very slightly roasted-bitter finish. Smooth on the palate and moderately soft with a small alcohol warmth on the finish.

D - This is a fair presentation of a Baltic porter from Milwaukee but it's leaning towards an ale isn't true to style. This brew needs to be more crisp and cleanly presented. A good mouthfeel and great appearance though.

Baltic Porter from Milwaukee Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.