Hop Happy India Pale Ale - Milwaukee Brewing Company

Hop Happy India Pale AleHop Happy India Pale Ale

Milwaukee Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: logansboat15 on 11-27-2011)

Shockingly bad

BeccaH, Today at 04:50 PM
1.75/5  rDev -47.9%

Very disappointing - white head, too much carbonation, poor nose and alcohol taste predominant.

Danni, Aug 30, 2014

Willi_BW, Feb 02, 2014

doublepneumonia, Sep 12, 2012

NicholasOfMKE, Feb 17, 2014
2.73/5  rDev -18.8%

12 oz. bottle, poured into the Boulevard tulip. Coded bottled on date on the bottom of the bottle, but the label at the top says copyright 2011, so I'm assuming this is a pretty old beer. I have had this beer before and was unimpressed, so my expectations are pretty low already.

A - Pours a hazy amber honey color with a giant three finger tan root beer soda looking head. Very creamy looking head hangs out for pretty much the entire time you drink the beer.

S - Because of the glassware I'm assuming, I am actually able to decipher the vaguest hint of hops, unlike the last two times I drank this beer when I just scratched my head and wondered if I was drinking the same beer as everyone else. Cascade and centennial hops? Uhh, if you ask me just forget about it, it smells like an imposter.

T - Has that musty copper kettle malt taste mixed in with some apple cider, but there is virtually the most minimal hop bitterness present, this should be called IPA Light. With a name like Hop Happy IPA, this beer's utter lack of hop bite is disappointing to say the least. Obviously, this beer is partially on the stale side, so maybe I am being overly harsh, and I would gladly give a fresher bottle another shot. However, this beer just tastes very mediocre to me, and a poor example of an IPA. On the other hand, I could definitely see this beer pairing well with the traditional redneck BBQ - ribs, chicken, hotdogs, hamburgers, or with Mexican cuisine like tacos.

M - More of a sticky honey taste this time around, with a nice moderate level of carbonation in the body, and a somewhat surprising bitter lingering. This beer's 7.5% abv is barely noticeable, and there is hardly any alcohol taste at all, just the taste of stale dusty apples.

Overall, I would have to say that out of the three bottles of this stuff I have drank, this has been the best bottle so far. I am still unimpressed, but it was better than it has been. In my defense, I did drink a six pack of Miller Lite earlier. I would try this again, but only if it was a much fresher bottle.

Milwaukee Brewing Co. Hop Happy IPA ---2.5/5

mfnmbvp, Dec 31, 2012

Lurkerson, Apr 03, 2013

soccerfancooch, Feb 03, 2013

Ivanhoes_Backpack, Jul 03, 2012

MarcusHalberstram, Oct 17, 2013

fuzzcherry, Jun 04, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -17.3%

Appearance: The beer pours strawberry blonde with a solid stripe of tin looking white head. You can clearly see the carbonation.

Smell: This one's only got a very faint smell to it. When you get your nose close enough to be in danger of dunking, you can finally sniff out a whiff or two of hops.

Taste: A pretty bog standard and one dimensional IPA, to be perfectly honest. There's a very light taste of orange peel and spice to it, but the prominent flavor is the hops...which isn't horribly strong.

Mouthfeel: The beer has a decent gravity to it, but the carbonation is a little bit higher than I tend to like in IPAs (that last bit is all personal preference, mind you). My problem here is that there is very little hop resin that sticks to the inside of your mouth. I like that. I miss it.

Overall: I wanted to like this beer...I really did...and although this beer certainly isn't bad, it's not terribly good. There's nothing particularly noteworthy about it. MKEBC, if you're reading this: more hops, please.

AbsoluterZero, Jan 25, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -15.2%

Clear sunburst color with a healthy head, light lacing.
The nose gives the cascade impression of citrus and resin, leaning towards citrus.
Flavor wise in addition to the cascade notes there is a earthy noble hop note and this is oddly sweet on the finish, the hops come out up front and fade out to a rather sweet finish, not bitter in the least after the initial impression. Almost closer to a pale ale, but more straight sugar.
Mouthfeel is stickier and more full bodied then other IPAs.

Odd, interesting IPA. I normally like them dry as a desert bone, and this is a departure, but it is unique. A tick below average, cascade doesn't do it for me either.

ChadQuest, Apr 16, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -13.7%

Appearance: Amber copper color. Above average carbonation throughout drinking. Almost a finger of head on the pour. Thick lacing left behind after each drink.

Smell: A little faint but what is there is very pleasant. Tangerines, grapefruit, pine, caramel, and some hints from the alcohol content. The aroma was very much on edge which gave me some strong hope for this brew.

Taste: Watered down hops I wouldn't say hit on the front on this brew but provide a slight bump. Hints of grapefruit and alcohol carry the body. There is a straw texture left on the palette. Overall, not much going on.

Mouthfeel: Light. Not nearly as much of a hop presence as I hoped.

Overall: I was in Beloit, Wisconsin and decided to get a mix six of some local products. This is the first of those. Okay, but nothing I would buy again or recommend.

KFBR392, Apr 13, 2013