Hop Happy India Pale Ale - Milwaukee Brewing Company

Hop Happy India Pale AleHop Happy India Pale Ale

Milwaukee Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: logansboat15 on 11-27-2011)
2.9/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance: Amber copper color. Above average carbonation throughout drinking. Almost a finger of head on the pour. Thick lacing left behind after each drink.

Smell: A little faint but what is there is very pleasant. Tangerines, grapefruit, pine, caramel, and some hints from the alcohol content. The aroma was very much on edge which gave me some strong hope for this brew.

Taste: Watered down hops I wouldn't say hit on the front on this brew but provide a slight bump. Hints of grapefruit and alcohol carry the body. There is a straw texture left on the palette. Overall, not much going on.

Mouthfeel: Light. Not nearly as much of a hop presence as I hoped.

Overall: I was in Beloit, Wisconsin and decided to get a mix six of some local products. This is the first of those. Okay, but nothing I would buy again or recommend.

KFBR392, Apr 14, 2013

dmorgan310, Jan 29, 2013

eyemustard, Jan 21, 2013

Eddsdds, Jan 01, 2013
2.73/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle, poured into the Boulevard tulip. Coded bottled on date on the bottom of the bottle, but the label at the top says copyright 2011, so I'm assuming this is a pretty old beer. I have had this beer before and was unimpressed, so my expectations are pretty low already.

A - Pours a hazy amber honey color with a giant three finger tan root beer soda looking head. Very creamy looking head hangs out for pretty much the entire time you drink the beer.

S - Because of the glassware I'm assuming, I am actually able to decipher the vaguest hint of hops, unlike the last two times I drank this beer when I just scratched my head and wondered if I was drinking the same beer as everyone else. Cascade and centennial hops? Uhh, if you ask me just forget about it, it smells like an imposter.

T - Has that musty copper kettle malt taste mixed in with some apple cider, but there is virtually the most minimal hop bitterness present, this should be called IPA Light. With a name like Hop Happy IPA, this beer's utter lack of hop bite is disappointing to say the least. Obviously, this beer is partially on the stale side, so maybe I am being overly harsh, and I would gladly give a fresher bottle another shot. However, this beer just tastes very mediocre to me, and a poor example of an IPA. On the other hand, I could definitely see this beer pairing well with the traditional redneck BBQ - ribs, chicken, hotdogs, hamburgers, or with Mexican cuisine like tacos.

M - More of a sticky honey taste this time around, with a nice moderate level of carbonation in the body, and a somewhat surprising bitter lingering. This beer's 7.5% abv is barely noticeable, and there is hardly any alcohol taste at all, just the taste of stale dusty apples.

Overall, I would have to say that out of the three bottles of this stuff I have drank, this has been the best bottle so far. I am still unimpressed, but it was better than it has been. In my defense, I did drink a six pack of Miller Lite earlier. I would try this again, but only if it was a much fresher bottle.

Milwaukee Brewing Co. Hop Happy IPA ---2.5/5

Rmatuszak2, Aug 01, 2012

bpfrush, Jul 31, 2012

MarshMan71, Jul 23, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured hard from the bottle to the glass. 2 inches of tan head, falling back quickly to leave a thin film and minimal lacing.
Copper mahogany in color.
Aroma is like the little engine that could, but never quite does. I think I can I think I can....
Mild sweat bready malt and some background hops that present with fruity pebbles and hemp.
Taste is a little better, starting out sweat and malty, a well balanced flavor. Becoming a bit more bitter and finishing with a crisp bittering hop profile. Hemp, leafy hop resin. Kind of a mixture of cascade and centennial.
Feel is slick with a little thicker creaminess and carbo prick.

Overall the flavor was the high point on this guy and all else seemed to lack for me.
A decent offering into the ipa category as flavors were pretty damn good.
This is a much improved brew over their other offerings IMO for hop forwardness into flavor.
Good summer brew on a hot day and a nicely placed alcohol punch.

Buebie, Jul 13, 2012