"Admiral" Stash - Milwaukee Brewing Company

Milwaukee Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Baltic Porter |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: mobius387 on 03-24-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours very dark brown with a foamy tan head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of charcoal, bourbon, chocolate and anise.

The taste is charred without being too smoky. Chocolate, anise, dark earthy notes blend well, and has further depth with a touch of bourbon. Full-flavored, it hits full-bodied. Complex with a lager smoothness.

A wonderful example of the style with a nice touch of bourbon that adds to the complexity without being forward. Dangerously drinkable!

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

12oz bottle with no date on it other than 2012; poured into a Bell's tulip today to celebrate the completion of today's The Great KBS Derby of Madison (TM). Looking to quench my thirst, not to get drunk as I still have some work to do tonight.

Aroma: Some dark fruit and cocoa. A little bit of toffee sweetness typical of porters. As it warms up, I get a bit of oak, likely the barrel contribution. Solid nose, nothing spectacular. (3)

Colour: Pours a very dark brown, nearly black body with a big brown fluffy head that takes a while to dissipate into a thick collar that leaves lots of thick lacing on the side of the glass I'm drinking from. Even halfway through the beer, the beer is covered in a brown fluffy film. Looks great! I honestly haven't seen a baltic porter look this good. (5)

Flavour: Actually a really nice drinking beer. I don't get as much dark fruit here, a little bit of cocoa and a lot of the smooth toffee and roast sweetness that makes me think "porter". So sort of inverse of what I get from the nose. As with the nose, when it starts to warm up, I get some oak flavours that isn't too overwhelming and complements the sweetness very well. I don't taste any bourbon here. Nevertheless, I don't expect this to be BCBS or anything at $7.49/6pack so I'm not going to penalize this baltic porter for that. I get a nice clean, oaky finish which is very enjoyable. (4)

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied on the thinner side, yet quite creamy. Very well carbonated which makes this beer fun to drink. Despite the oakiness, the beer isn't really all that dry but actually quaffs the thirst that I've worked up from driving around to find some KBS. Very nice and creamy, easy to drink without feeling the 7% ABV. (4)

Overall: I think this is a pretty underrated beer that might be discounted more because the brewer here isn't New Glarus or Central Waters. This is a bourbon-barrel aged baltic porter, yes, and the barrel here is only contributing some oak to the nose and flavour without the bourbon heat. But you know what? For a baltic porter, this is pretty awesome because the barrel seems to be contributing to the mouthfeel as well. If you rate it as a BBA baltic porter, this is probably pretty average compared to stuff like BA Night Train that I've already had, and I haven't had stuff like Framinghamer and Gonzo. Then I'd give it a 3. If I rate it as a baltic porter, this is great stuff and close to a 5, but not perfect. I'll take the difference here; you be the judge. Can't argue with the price point either. (4)

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »