O-Gii - Milwaukee Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 121 | Reviews: 18
Reviews by tbdkev:
4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

A: Pours clear golden yellow with excellent head retention. Lacing on the glass holds really well. It looks pretty delicious.

A: Sweet wheat on the nose here with some hints of clove or perhaps nutmeg. It's almost on the verge of breakfast cereal. No specifics are given about the type of tea used, so I'm a little lost on specifics. Nevertheless, very nice.

T: The ABV is listed at 9.2%, but the sweetness effectively covers up any "booze-y" qualities you might expect. There's a mild lime or orange peel bitterness with the finish, but it finishes cleanly and nicely. Very high drink-ability, so beware the ABV! I'm somewhat disappointed that the type of tea used in the brew isn't listed--I'm not really sure what's contributing to the flavor profile.

M: The body is remarkably creamy and suits the beer well overall. On the first pour, there was a lot of head, but that's not a complaint--it's delicious. Light CO2 helps to accent the aforementioned bitterness, and blends well with the creamy body.

O: A very nice late summer beer. I've been disappointed with many wit beers lately, but this takes the cake in regards to matching taste with body.

1.91/5  rDev -49.9%

Maybe I got a bad batch. Skunky

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

A big thanks to the legendary woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of spices, tea, interesting. Taste is unique and pretty good. Tea, some spice, a bit of citrus, alcohol is well hidden. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer.

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

An imperial tea-infused witbier, lets give it a try... bright gold pour with a huge head of white foam. Creamy surface texture, bright clarity. No haze or yeast to it, though I got the first part of the can.

Floral incense aroma, veers into lemon pledge territory a little bit. Sort of odd, definitely tea-like though.

More floral tea notes and spices in the taste, coriander is big, with some possible additional spices. Some traces of honey malt traces and smooth wheaty notes in the middle. Pretty light bodied, and fairly crisp. Would revisit again in the Spring.

Thanks Tom for sharing this!

4.6/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

16 oz can poured into a MKE tulip.
9.2% ABV, no date.

A - Only half the un-swirled can fit in this tulip so O-Gii isn't quite hazy, yet. Goldenrod in color, this witbier is topped with a nice and firm white head that, despite the alcohol's best efforts to the contrary, hangs around leaving some nice chunky lace on the glass. (Pouring out the whole beer reveals it to remain quite clear for a witbier)

S - The Rishi tea infusion in O-Gii is immediately apparent with an herbal quality that very nicely compliments this wit's spice profile reminiscent of sweet orange peel, lemongrass, and coriander. At just over 9%, the hefty malt base starts showing through, adding real nice sweetness along the back for a delicious candle-like aroma...one that can be drank!

T - Balanced-yet-forward again, the Rishi tea creates a very unique and exciting flavor profile in this witbier! Herbal and fruity, the spice, tea, orange peel-like character, and sweetness of the smooth malt combine for a tasty-drinking treat!

M - Quite smooth indeed, this beefy witbier is passive-aggressive with it's alcohol; warming on the finish with just a hint of fruity phenols revealed through retro-nasal breathing. Wheat smooths out the rough edges and the wonderful herbal qualities give this beer a lasting finish that quickly draws you back for another sip.

O - Intriguing, O-Gii takes what is normally a very light, sessionable summer-time beer and really beefs it up. Fragrant tea and a delicious spice blend make for a unique and excellent take on the wit style all while remaining close to the style's roots, though quite heftier indeed. The alcohol is neither intrusive nor passive, landing somewhere in the middle, resulting in an easy drinking, flavorful beer with one hell of a subdued kick.

4.11/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

poured 16oz can into Duvel tulip

A - A transparent sun kissed light orange color. Many suspended particles floating around. Big 2.5 finger bright white head, fades to a thin cap. Quite a bit of lacing clings on my glass.

S - Big tea and herbal scents are apparent right away. Nice blend of wheat, sweet orange, coriander, lemon rind, lily. Hints of banana bread, spice and other light sweet malts.

T - Very interesting and pleasant taste. Sweet, spicy, herbal tea with wheat, candy orange, lemon rind, and banana bread. It is not overly sweet and not that spicy. Just right and has Trippel like qualities. I don't pick up any alcohol, which is surprising at 9.2% ABV. This is an enjoyable beer on a warm and muggy day.

M - Smooth and medium bodied. Carbonation is just right. No alcohol burn. Wet and refreshing so it goes down quickly drink after drink.

O - Very interesting and tasty brew that is fun to drink. I'll have to throw this in some of my trades as an extra. Should help MKE gain some relevance on their rather mediocre line up.

3.69/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours hazed golden with a sizable creamy white head. Thin rings of lacing stick.

The smell is of orange and lemon peel with floral, tea-like herbs, wheat malt and a hint of honey.

The taste is of spiced tea - tangy fruit is slightly towards artificial powder. Alcohol is certainly noticeable, but becomes less raw than the initial sip was very quickly. The alcohol lends a subtle black pepper character. There is a firm honey-like sweetness in the back. No detectable hops, as expected for the style. Sweetness is balanced by spices.

Though somewhat hot, it is creamy and deceptively drinkable.

It is "interesting". Drinkable. I don't know that I particularly cared for it even as much as I scored it, but I think that it pretty much is what the brewery was going for, and I think they were successful overall. I wouldn't mind having it again. Actually, I'm going to pour myself another!

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

If you are ever in the Chicagoland and CAN get to one of their locations, Binney's Liquors remains a CANQuest (TM) source nonpareil! This was a recent score.

From the CAN: "That's [underlined] local flavor!"; "A Monstrous Tea-Infused Wit"; "How to Drink Craft Beer From a CAN Find Glass Pour Beer Cheers! Share: #LUVMKECRAFT": "HERB-IN LEGEND is our series of adventure brews. Created by our brewer Kurt Mayes, O-Gii is a collaboration with Milwaukee's own Rishi Tea, infusing organic tea character to this wit beer. The name is our nod to the brewing abbreviation OG, which defines the potential for alcohol level prior to fermentation. Enjoy this monster fusion of balance and aggression."

Pretty amusing stuff, fellows! I was going to employ an aggressive pour in deference to the CAN's verbiage, but the Crack caused a bunch of foam to appear and I had to go with a gentle Glug instead. Tow-plus fingers of pillowy French Vanilla-colored head were my reward and I had to allow things to settle before CANtinuing. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity and suddenly, Croesus, Mammon and King Midas were in the Queen Bee's hive's kitchen with me, all eagerly licking their chops. Down, boys! Nose had a floral, honey-like aspect. How curious, said Alice. Mouthfeel was full for the style and the taste was quite spicy and kind of musty. The yeast was definitely part of the equation and I am guessing coriander, although the Queen Bee disagrees. Finish was dry, mellow, tea-like, but hardly monstrous. The honeycomb pattern on the CAN seems to indicate that honey was also involved. I stand by everything that I previously typed.

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%

I did not find this beer satisfactory. However, I do not enjoy the tea aspect of beer.

4.19/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I don't quite know what to think: this brew comes off as a wholly forgettable adjunct lager, such that I have to ask the bartender if its the right beer.

If this is right,then the brewer has hidden the alcohol so well as to taste like its not 10% abv,but 4%

Update: 8/30/13
Had again on tap, this time at Dexter's. Raised my previous rating a good deal (5/13/13, 3.18). I think something was wrong with the tapping that first time I had it. This is delicious.

4.29/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pint can from Chuck, poured into a Duvel tulip.

A- After a foam crests the can upon opening, a gentle pour creates 1-1/2 finger of off-white head. The body is a slightly hazy, bright, light gold with a few yeasty floaties and heavy carbonation. The head settles to a light foam and leaves nice rings.

S- Herbal tea (or even a white or green tea with honey). Some sugary sweetness and tropical fruit (pineapple/mango/melon). Soft hints of smooth alcohol.

T- Very flavorful. Lots of sweet malt and tea-like qualities up front. I get all sorts of honey, fruity chewing gum, and fresh tropical fruit and melon-like qualities from the first sip. A little hint at the ABV as well. Difficult to discern what is tea and what's floral and spicy hops or added spice (black pepper/grains of paradise). Either way, it works.

M- More robust than the light color suggests. Medium-heavy carbonation and alcohol warmth ( not harsh).

O- They nailed what they were going after. It's definitely high octane and tea infused. I enjoy an occasional tea, so it's good in my book. Glad a good friend left this as a departing gift.

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

On-tap at Bernie's in Waukesha, WI. This pours a hazy, copper amber color with a slight head. Slight citrus taste with a bit of wheat. The flavor is a little boozy and sweet and puts off more of a grapefruit than expected. Interesting and different but not what I expected for its style.

3.85/5  rDev +1%

Pours a HUGE, white, dense head with a touch of lacing on the glass. Soft aroma with notes of orange, maybe a little earthy tea behind it.. Golden-straw color with a slight haze. Starts floral and a touch sweet, almost like a nice honey. Moves into a bigger fruitiness from the tea, which also brings a slight bitterness. Finish is floral with a touch of sweet malt, and the tea really starts to shine through on this at the end as the biscuit malt mellows.

This is interesting. The tea blends really well with the wit to make a slightly sweet, fruity, honey-like drink. There is a nice, velvety mouthfeel too; thick. I really like it.

4.06/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance - Poured into a glass, the beer was a nice golden straw color with a bubbly white head.

Smell - I really like the nose on this one. Hints of lemon, grass, and mint were among the detectable notes.

Taste - In the initial, lemon jumps to the front. Floral notes follows as if to demonstrate the tea-like quality. The only problem is I am not sure what type of tea I am looking for here. Wheat and earthy notes follow toward the back. The aftertaste is more lemon and sour wheat. The alcohol is well masked.

Mouthfeel - A nice easy drinking witbier. It is smooth with a moderate level of carbonation.

Overall - I have not been overly impressed with Milwaukee's efforts, but this is a fairly good witbier.

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%

APPEARANCE - Awesome, burnished orange in the shade, clear, effervescent golden in the light, this has the typically spritzy texture of a witbier. Looks great.

SMELL - It doesn't actually smell like much of anything, oddly, especially as its an "Imperial Witbier." If anything it smells slightly crisp, and slightly sour from the wheat malt.

TASTE - Literally, melodramatically, a revelation. In comparison to the aroma anyway. This beast has claws! I definitely pick up the tea, and combined with the spices, coriander being chief among them, but I wouldn't rule out a little orange peel, it comes across as an almost earl grey beer if that makes sense to anyone else but me. My first sips had a distinctly "beery," or cheap adjunct lager finish to them, but as I continued to drink, this was altogether drowned out by the onslaught of tea and sweet wheat malt. It is sweet, I forgot to mention, like I like a cup of earl grey, with honey, but not so sweet as a big DIPA. Definitely not to sweet to be cloying.

FEEL - Surprisingly light on its feet, O-Gii didn't lose the traditional effervescence of a witbier. Honestly, to emphasize the tea character, I could have used a bit more of a smooth mouthfeel, but it's certainly true to style, so I can't fault them for that.

OVERALL - A really awesome beer. I've been craving Sam Adams Imperial White, and this was a more than perfect substitute, so perhaps take my rating with a grain of salt. On the other hand, while the liberties taken with this beer might not be for everyone, for an "Imperial" witbier, this stays very, very close in many ways to what a witbier is supposed to be stylistically. It's clearly intelligently and well-crafted. Loving this.

3.74/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

MKE Brewing is a great Milwaukee company. Their tour is fun, and really brings out the great side of Milwaukee that outsiders may not usually think exists. So, as for the name of this beer it really sticks true to what MKE Brewing is all about. They're not afraid to try something different, but stick to their Milwaukee roots. From all of that, I 'respect the beer'. PLUS, I play Goalie for their locally sponsored beer league hockey team.

A- Outstanding, drank it out a wine glass just for fun. It really brought out the carbonation bubbles, making the clear golden color even more distinct. It's just hazy enough with the carbonation texture, makes it a bit more enjoyable.

S- The teasing aroma give it charisma. I kept smelling it thinking I understood what it was getting at but would then lose it. A hint of boozyness but if I didn't already know, wouldn't have thought it to be a 9.2%

T- The initial burst of spices is very spontaneous. But it's all over the place. I don't know much about Wit beers, but after the first half I'm having fun with it. I can understand the tea and where it fits, goes well with the spice. It's chaotic like HS emo child, all over the place and a good laugh, but at the end you can easily walk away without caring, but again appreciate it for it's attempt at awkward uniqueness.

M- The feel isn't anything I crave. I wouldn't say it's refreshing, but pretty smooth for the high alcohol content.

Again, brand loyalty here for me. I would suggest this to a friend, but wouldn't push it on them either. I do appreciate how they brought in a local Milwaukee Tea Company, again shows loyalty to home town roots.

I agree with JWC215 (previous post) when he wrote, "I don't know that I particularly cared for it even as much as I scored it, but I think that it pretty much is what the brewery was going for, and I think they were successful overall."

Food to eat with: This is a stab, but maybe spicy Thai dishes? I'll have to re-visit this. Definitely not good with pizza, wings, fried food...

4.64/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I have recently tried a few MKE brewing company beers, and this was by far the tastiest. So much so, it made me want to join this site to try to review it.

So keep in mind this is my first review:

Poured into pint glass from can.

Appearance: Like the sun peeking out after a sunny thunderstorm. Calming yet invigorating. On a side note, the anime/Godzilla themed cans were amusing.

Smell: Malty and Biscuity, but with an afterhint of something floral.

Taste: the floral presence continues throughout the sip, reminding me of hibiscus. Some other exotic spices linger, brought on probably by the Rishi tea that was infused with this brew. Certainly unique, the high alcohol content hides deceptively amongst it's palette, blending in like a crouching tiger in the bushes, ready to strike its prey. Overall, the taste blew me away with its mild mannered kick and fully one-of-a-kind tea and spice flavor.

Mouthfeel: Warm and kind of filmy, the beer washes my cheeks and tongue in a high-alcohol content induced tingling sensation that reminds me there is a wild beast hidden in the glass.

Overall: This is one of my top ten favorite beers I've ever had. I want to simultaneously show it off to everyone yet keep this gem to myself. I am very blown away by the flavor but there is also something synergistic about the whole experience that makes this beer overall better than its parts combined. It was a pleasure, MKE.

3.37/5  rDev -11.5%

O-Gii, A monstrously tea-infused wit. Ale brewed with spices and flavored with tea. 9.2% Alc. by Vol.

O.G., as in Original Gangsta? Orginal Gravity? Or, as in Godzilla who seems to be appearing on the label with a giant pint in hand? Or is there some other reason for the odd spelling?

Poured into a big, Wittekerke glass. Hazy, pale yellow with a large white head.

Aroma: Orange and wheat discernible in the nose, not so much the spices. I'm picking up on the tea, though, rather than any kind of coriander, which is the typical witbier spicing.

It's even more evident in the taste. And, in exchange, I'm not getting a lot of else. Wheat texture, yes, some citric notes, light spices, and the premonition of booze to come. Juicy, slightly sweet, and altogether odd. I just don't know what to think of it.

I wonder if the gobbledygook on the can will tell me anything? "Herb-In Legend is our series of adventure brews. Created by our brewer Kurt Mayes, O-Gii is a collaboration with Milwaukee's own Rishi Tea, infusing organic tea character to this wit beer. The name is our nod to the brewing abbreviation OG which defines the potential for alcohol level prior to fermention. Enjoy this monster fusion of balance and aggression."

This was described to me, if I remember right, as unique, being a "double wit." Not true, there have been plenty of double wits, and I'm not especially fond of doubled-up versions of styles that shouldn't be anywhere near so strong. Their strength is in their delicacy, and moving up the booze factor robs them of their special qualities. I've only liked a few of them, and somewhat reluctantly.

I'm just as baffled by this as I was by their tea-infused double IPA. The tea doesn't deliver anything particularly rewarding, and the booze is way higher than it should be, for the body and the flavor. Is it malt liquor? Monster might be right, but more Frankstein's than Godzilla. This doesn't taste like a wit, the tea-infusion just mucks it up and dilutes it, and the high alcohol content does nothing but make me want to knock over some buildings.

to view more.