O-Gii - Milwaukee Brewing Company

Milwaukee Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  9.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: TheSSG on 02-09-2013)
View: Beers (32) |  Events

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

04-20-2013 14:48:14 | More by Zachtheporter
feloniousmonk

3.36/5  rDev -12%

O-Gii, A monstrously tea-infused wit. Ale brewed with spices and flavored with tea. 9.2% Alc. by Vol.

O.G., as in Original Gangsta? Orginal Gravity? Or, as in Godzilla who seems to be appearing on the label with a giant pint in hand? Or is there some other reason for the odd spelling?

Poured into a big, Wittekerke glass. Hazy, pale yellow with a large white head.

Aroma: Orange and wheat discernible in the nose, not so much the spices. I'm picking up on the tea, though, rather than any kind of coriander, which is the typical witbier spicing.

It's even more evident in the taste. And, in exchange, I'm not getting a lot of else. Wheat texture, yes, some citric notes, light spices, and the premonition of booze to come. Juicy, slightly sweet, and altogether odd. I just don't know what to think of it.

I wonder if the gobbledygook on the can will tell me anything? "Herb-In Legend is our series of adventure brews. Created by our brewer Kurt Mayes, O-Gii is a collaboration with Milwaukee's own Rishi Tea, infusing organic tea character to this wit beer. The name is our nod to the brewing abbreviation OG which defines the potential for alcohol level prior to fermention. Enjoy this monster fusion of balance and aggression."

This was described to me, if I remember right, as unique, being a "double wit." Not true, there have been plenty of double wits, and I'm not especially fond of doubled-up versions of styles that shouldn't be anywhere near so strong. Their strength is in their delicacy, and moving up the booze factor robs them of their special qualities. I've only liked a few of them, and somewhat reluctantly.

I'm just as baffled by this as I was by their tea-infused double IPA. The tea doesn't deliver anything particularly rewarding, and the booze is way higher than it should be, for the body and the flavor. Is it malt liquor? Monster might be right, but more Frankstein's than Godzilla. This doesn't taste like a wit, the tea-infusion just mucks it up and dilutes it, and the high alcohol content does nothing but make me want to knock over some buildings.

03-29-2014 23:13:19 | More by feloniousmonk

Beerlover

07-13-2013 00:54:58 | More by Beerlover
tone77

3.63/5  rDev -5%

A big thanks to the legendary woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of spices, tea, interesting. Taste is unique and pretty good. Tea, some spice, a bit of citrus, alcohol is well hidden. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer.

11-01-2013 23:49:19 | More by tone77
emerge077

3.66/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

An imperial tea-infused witbier, lets give it a try... bright gold pour with a huge head of white foam. Creamy surface texture, bright clarity. No haze or yeast to it, though I got the first part of the can.

Floral incense aroma, veers into lemon pledge territory a little bit. Sort of odd, definitely tea-like though.

More floral tea notes and spices in the taste, coriander is big, with some possible additional spices. Some traces of honey malt traces and smooth wheaty notes in the middle. Pretty light bodied, and fairly crisp. Would revisit again in the Spring.

Thanks Tom for sharing this!

02-15-2013 01:52:39 | More by emerge077
jwc215

3.66/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours hazed golden with a sizable creamy white head. Thin rings of lacing stick.

The smell is of orange and lemon peel with floral, tea-like herbs, wheat malt and a hint of honey.

The taste is of spiced tea - tangy fruit is slightly towards artificial powder. Alcohol is certainly noticeable, but becomes less raw than the initial sip was very quickly. The alcohol lends a subtle black pepper character. There is a firm honey-like sweetness in the back. No detectable hops, as expected for the style. Sweetness is balanced by spices.

Though somewhat hot, it is creamy and deceptively drinkable.

It is "interesting". Drinkable. I don't know that I particularly cared for it even as much as I scored it, but I think that it pretty much is what the brewery was going for, and I think they were successful overall. I wouldn't mind having it again. Actually, I'm going to pour myself another!

11-29-2013 05:24:35 | More by jwc215
Dan_McNeely

3.74/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

MKE Brewing is a great Milwaukee company. Their tour is fun, and really brings out the great side of Milwaukee that outsiders may not usually think exists. So, as for the name of this beer it really sticks true to what MKE Brewing is all about. They're not afraid to try something different, but stick to their Milwaukee roots. From all of that, I 'respect the beer'. PLUS, I play Goalie for their locally sponsored beer league hockey team.

A- Outstanding, drank it out a wine glass just for fun. It really brought out the carbonation bubbles, making the clear golden color even more distinct. It's just hazy enough with the carbonation texture, makes it a bit more enjoyable.

S- The teasing aroma give it charisma. I kept smelling it thinking I understood what it was getting at but would then lose it. A hint of boozyness but if I didn't already know, wouldn't have thought it to be a 9.2%

T- The initial burst of spices is very spontaneous. But it's all over the place. I don't know much about Wit beers, but after the first half I'm having fun with it. I can understand the tea and where it fits, goes well with the spice. It's chaotic like HS emo child, all over the place and a good laugh, but at the end you can easily walk away without caring, but again appreciate it for it's attempt at awkward uniqueness.

M- The feel isn't anything I crave. I wouldn't say it's refreshing, but pretty smooth for the high alcohol content.

Again, brand loyalty here for me. I would suggest this to a friend, but wouldn't push it on them either. I do appreciate how they brought in a local Milwaukee Tea Company, again shows loyalty to home town roots.

I agree with JWC215 (previous post) when he wrote, "I don't know that I particularly cared for it even as much as I scored it, but I think that it pretty much is what the brewery was going for, and I think they were successful overall."

Food to eat with: This is a stab, but maybe spicy Thai dishes? I'll have to re-visit this. Definitely not good with pizza, wings, fried food...

06-16-2014 04:13:40 | More by Dan_McNeely