O-Gii - Milwaukee Brewing Company

Milwaukee Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  9.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: TheSSG on 02-09-2013)
4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

MN_Beerticker, Jun 20, 2014

jzlyo, Jun 17, 2014
3.74/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

MKE Brewing is a great Milwaukee company. Their tour is fun, and really brings out the great side of Milwaukee that outsiders may not usually think exists. So, as for the name of this beer it really sticks true to what MKE Brewing is all about. They're not afraid to try something different, but stick to their Milwaukee roots. From all of that, I 'respect the beer'. PLUS, I play Goalie for their locally sponsored beer league hockey team.

A- Outstanding, drank it out a wine glass just for fun. It really brought out the carbonation bubbles, making the clear golden color even more distinct. It's just hazy enough with the carbonation texture, makes it a bit more enjoyable.

S- The teasing aroma give it charisma. I kept smelling it thinking I understood what it was getting at but would then lose it. A hint of boozyness but if I didn't already know, wouldn't have thought it to be a 9.2%

T- The initial burst of spices is very spontaneous. But it's all over the place. I don't know much about Wit beers, but after the first half I'm having fun with it. I can understand the tea and where it fits, goes well with the spice. It's chaotic like HS emo child, all over the place and a good laugh, but at the end you can easily walk away without caring, but again appreciate it for it's attempt at awkward uniqueness.

M- The feel isn't anything I crave. I wouldn't say it's refreshing, but pretty smooth for the high alcohol content.

Again, brand loyalty here for me. I would suggest this to a friend, but wouldn't push it on them either. I do appreciate how they brought in a local Milwaukee Tea Company, again shows loyalty to home town roots.

I agree with JWC215 (previous post) when he wrote, "I don't know that I particularly cared for it even as much as I scored it, but I think that it pretty much is what the brewery was going for, and I think they were successful overall."

Food to eat with: This is a stab, but maybe spicy Thai dishes? I'll have to re-visit this. Definitely not good with pizza, wings, fried food...

Dan_McNeely, Jun 16, 2014

jtrail13, Jun 16, 2014

drpimento, Jun 09, 2014

herman77, Jun 01, 2014
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

On-tap at Bernie's in Waukesha, WI. This pours a hazy, copper amber color with a slight head. Slight citrus taste with a bit of wheat. The flavor is a little boozy and sweet and puts off more of a grapefruit than expected. Interesting and different but not what I expected for its style.

Lemke10, May 28, 2014

elec, Apr 18, 2014

Hopstout, Apr 13, 2014

mlklein27, Apr 06, 2014
3.36/5  rDev -12.3%

O-Gii, A monstrously tea-infused wit. Ale brewed with spices and flavored with tea. 9.2% Alc. by Vol.

O.G., as in Original Gangsta? Orginal Gravity? Or, as in Godzilla who seems to be appearing on the label with a giant pint in hand? Or is there some other reason for the odd spelling?

Poured into a big, Wittekerke glass. Hazy, pale yellow with a large white head.

Aroma: Orange and wheat discernible in the nose, not so much the spices. I'm picking up on the tea, though, rather than any kind of coriander, which is the typical witbier spicing.

It's even more evident in the taste. And, in exchange, I'm not getting a lot of else. Wheat texture, yes, some citric notes, light spices, and the premonition of booze to come. Juicy, slightly sweet, and altogether odd. I just don't know what to think of it.

I wonder if the gobbledygook on the can will tell me anything? "Herb-In Legend is our series of adventure brews. Created by our brewer Kurt Mayes, O-Gii is a collaboration with Milwaukee's own Rishi Tea, infusing organic tea character to this wit beer. The name is our nod to the brewing abbreviation OG which defines the potential for alcohol level prior to fermention. Enjoy this monster fusion of balance and aggression."

This was described to me, if I remember right, as unique, being a "double wit." Not true, there have been plenty of double wits, and I'm not especially fond of doubled-up versions of styles that shouldn't be anywhere near so strong. Their strength is in their delicacy, and moving up the booze factor robs them of their special qualities. I've only liked a few of them, and somewhat reluctantly.

I'm just as baffled by this as I was by their tea-infused double IPA. The tea doesn't deliver anything particularly rewarding, and the booze is way higher than it should be, for the body and the flavor. Is it malt liquor? Monster might be right, but more Frankstein's than Godzilla. This doesn't taste like a wit, the tea-infusion just mucks it up and dilutes it, and the high alcohol content does nothing but make me want to knock over some buildings.

feloniousmonk, Mar 29, 2014