2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lindemans Gueuze - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans GueuzeLindemans Gueuze

good

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-03-2002)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Ratings: 248 | Reviews: 171 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by pmcadamis:
pmcadamis

4.55/5  rDev +27.5%

A - A solidly dense three finger head rises above this crystal clear amber brew. This is so purely clear, and so amber that I halfway expect to see a giant mesozoic mosquito frozen in time in my glass! Tons of lace sticks to the glass, and brings back a fat finger and a half of beautiful white foam. This is a beautiful beer!

S - I can smell the battery acid two feet from the glass, and as my nose approaches the glass, I can smell balsamic vinegar, beer battered fish, and some tart raspberry notes show up faintly in the background. This is much less astringent and harsh than other gueuzes that I've tried, and for some that may be seen as a weakness but I'm thankful for it. This also has the traditional gueuze barnyard notes(or what I think smells more like the big ape habitat at the zoo). This has enough nasal zing to make you wince, but not enough to make your eyes water.

T - Wow! This sure is sweet! I was expecting an overwhelming pucker, but this is not at all violent like I expect a gueuze to be. This is one of the most complex brews that I've had in quite a while. I can taste balsamic vinegar soaked beer battered fish (which is just about my favorite food on the planet), sugar cubes, under-ripe raspberry tartness, a load of zingy green apple skin, immature green grapes, sour-pucker candy, and a tiny dollop of honey. Damn! This is a world-class brew.

M - This is medium bodied with some really nice structure on the palate, and a very understated level of carbonation. This feels like a tannic red wine in my mouth, and the finish is surprisingly breif. This could use some more heft and astringency...it's very gentle.

D - This is scary. I could live on this stuff! I think that it would go well with anything from salads, chicken, steak, chocolate....this is one of the better food beers out there. I could down bottle after bottle of this stuff, but I'd be broke at these prices (I paid $4.99 for a 355ml bottle). If only I were a rich man...Sadly, price is a factor and the cost of this stuff will prevent me from buying it very often but I won't detract from the score just because I'm po'. Actually, this is so drinkable that I wish it had some characteristic that made me want to drink more slowly because at five bucks for this little bottle, I'm paying a dollar a minute at this rate.

08-31-2007 20:53:39 | More by pmcadamis

12-14-2013 00:05:35 | More by muskiesman
Roguer

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Light, cider-colored beer with almost no head. Slow bubbles; virtually transparent.

Champagne, cider, and funky aroma.

Flavor follows the nose: dry and sweet champagne/cider-like on the front, slightly tart, with a mildly cheese-tinged Brett funk on the back end. Just tart enough to make you pucker slightly.

Thin but syrupy/sugary feel; lingers and clings quite a bit, despite the relatively light feel.

This is a tasty and extremely light beer. While I don't like it as much as the fruit lambics (specifically the Kriek), it gives you a great, easy-going Brett experience. I'd definitely drink it again, although I'd prefer to lean toward the fruit lambics.

11-17-2013 01:57:16 | More by Roguer
BucBasil

South Carolina

3.89/5  rDev +9%

I always get excited to see actual beers in random places. In this case, I found this in a grocery store near the Jing'An Temple Metro stop in Shanghai China. Good find!

Poured from the 250mL bottle into a wine glass.

A: The beer is a clear malt vinegar brown with lots of carbonation showing through. The bead was off white to light tan and very fizzy, building only to about a finger and then dissolving soda-like into just a small patch on the top of the beer.

S: Hello my old funky friend. It's been a while since I've had a sour and the smell comes back to you instantly. Some sour fruits like unripe apples and berries along with a hint of wood and farm field. Lightly acidic, the twang hits like a teaspoon of vinegar but sweeter. Can't wait.

T: More fruits up front and a nice sour midpalate. This is much sweeter than I expected with a bit of sour sugar in the middle. A light bitterness and a drying sensation in the back. Swallowed quickly, you are left with a bit of wood and hay, but when held in there the sourness really takes over - like eating an unripe apple or pear, but in a good way. Grapes somewhere in there, like a white wine kind of note. Refreshing.

F: Has the feel of a good cider throughout, just prickly enough to give a refreshing seltzery spritz, but then dry in the back.

Overall, a pretty good find here. Doesn't have the strong sour characters of some of the Belgians that I've had, but then again that's ok - a subdued and refreshing find. Nothing but good things to say.

11-13-2013 10:10:08 | More by BucBasil