Lindemans Gueuze - Brouwerij Lindemans

good

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-03-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Alström Bros

Hemix, Jan 05, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +32.7%

MonicaC, Jul 01, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +32.7%

jandadeboer, Feb 02, 2014
4.55/5  rDev +27.1%

A - A solidly dense three finger head rises above this crystal clear amber brew. This is so purely clear, and so amber that I halfway expect to see a giant mesozoic mosquito frozen in time in my glass! Tons of lace sticks to the glass, and brings back a fat finger and a half of beautiful white foam. This is a beautiful beer!

S - I can smell the battery acid two feet from the glass, and as my nose approaches the glass, I can smell balsamic vinegar, beer battered fish, and some tart raspberry notes show up faintly in the background. This is much less astringent and harsh than other gueuzes that I've tried, and for some that may be seen as a weakness but I'm thankful for it. This also has the traditional gueuze barnyard notes(or what I think smells more like the big ape habitat at the zoo). This has enough nasal zing to make you wince, but not enough to make your eyes water.

T - Wow! This sure is sweet! I was expecting an overwhelming pucker, but this is not at all violent like I expect a gueuze to be. This is one of the most complex brews that I've had in quite a while. I can taste balsamic vinegar soaked beer battered fish (which is just about my favorite food on the planet), sugar cubes, under-ripe raspberry tartness, a load of zingy green apple skin, immature green grapes, sour-pucker candy, and a tiny dollop of honey. Damn! This is a world-class brew.

M - This is medium bodied with some really nice structure on the palate, and a very understated level of carbonation. This feels like a tannic red wine in my mouth, and the finish is surprisingly breif. This could use some more heft and astringency...it's very gentle.

D - This is scary. I could live on this stuff! I think that it would go well with anything from salads, chicken, steak, chocolate....this is one of the better food beers out there. I could down bottle after bottle of this stuff, but I'd be broke at these prices (I paid $4.99 for a 355ml bottle). If only I were a rich man...Sadly, price is a factor and the cost of this stuff will prevent me from buying it very often but I won't detract from the score just because I'm po'. Actually, this is so drinkable that I wish it had some characteristic that made me want to drink more slowly because at five bucks for this little bottle, I'm paying a dollar a minute at this rate.

pmcadamis, Aug 31, 2007

Dello, Jul 16, 2014

hopkrid, Oct 14, 2013

jazztoloc, Feb 22, 2013

kylehay2004, Apr 06, 2014
4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

Reviewed from scribbled notes from last night.

Pours a nice fizzy red. The smell is wonderful and full of apples and bananas. The taste is very sharp, crisp and clean, and again full of apples. Strong flavored, much like how a good wine should taste. The mouthfeel is a little too thin, but the drinkability is through the roof.

santoslhalper, Jan 30, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +23.7%

It poured a beautiful cloudy gold with plenty of sediment and carbonation visible. It had 1 finger of white head that quickly became a nice lace. It's smell was fruity and spicy. The taste was of malt and yeast almost gingery with a hint of a mix of Champagne and berries. It is wet and oily, but has a Champagne like tinge of tart dryness in the finish. What a great beer, the complex tastes made it a real feast. My only real issue was that it disappeared way to quickly.

claytri, Feb 03, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +23.7%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle. The color was amber, with good head retention. The smell was tart and wheaty. The taste was very citrusy, with a very tart and sour aftertaste. The mouthfeel was very smooth with a good level of carbonation. Drinkability-wise, I'd drink as many of these as I could afford.

This was my first ever gueuze, a style I was looking forward to trying, and I surely was not disappointed! Lambics are such a pleasant little treat, and surely a wonderful and unique beer experience.

beergeek279, Jul 07, 2003
4.38/5  rDev +22.3%

There's a part of me that wants to say this beer is fruity and thus not worthy of a review, but there's this other part that says it's exceptionally delicious and worthy of my praise. It's tart, fizzy, and altogether addicting. I'm no gueuze expert, but it's almost as if you took the other Lindemans and cut out the cherries and raspberries and whatnot. Nothin' but meat and potatoes in this summbitch, I tell you what. Good Stuff.

86MonteSS, Aug 23, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +21.5%

Dark amber colour, reminds me of some sherry generous oaked wines. Nice shades when you hold it to the light. Good head with a silky lace. Aroma is pungent and sour, barnyard, ripe fruits. something in it reminds of a blue cheese. Very complex, some fruits on it too, and champagne like. Tart flavor, mouth is dry and sour, some fruits, roasted almonds or hazelnuts, some barnyard too.

janubio, Jun 24, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +20.9%

Pours an orange amber, with a nice head that resides quickly and leaves nice lacing.
Smells sour and delicious. It smells like lambics, but lacking the sweet sugars.
Tastes very nice! Heavy tartness and some serious lack of sugar, which makes this beer pretty cool. Nothing that is like a normal Belgian but more than that.

Spineypanda, Apr 30, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +19.6%

Never seen a beer that is both corked AND capped. This was.

Poured into champagne flute.

A: Hazy golden-yellow with a steady stream of carbonation. Decent head that caps off the last finger of available glass. Starts to recede quickly, then becomes a thin blanket of foam.

S: Unmistakably Belgian. Has a yeasty kick at first that gives way to a more vinous-like aroma. There are hints of oak and some apparent sourness, as well. Has a very outdoors-y aroma, like grass, hay, straw, flowers.

T: Slight grassiness up front, and you can already tell that there's some tartness building. Bit of an oakiness as the sourness/tartness builds in intensity. You can tell you'll feel this in that "sensitive sour zone" down where your lower jaw meets your ear. Finish is very rustic, pleasantly sour, but mostly fruity and tart. Fruit is vague, but it's got a hint of crisp apple, some white wine grape, and a bit of ripe melon. There's no hop bitterness at all (despite the fact these beers are ridiculously hopped, albeit with aged hops), but there's a long tail that's part fruit, part wood, and part saison-y funkiness.

M: Crisp, dry, and wonderful.

D: True story: the fruit flies that were hanging around the bunches of grapes in my kitchen immediately gravitated to this beer once I had it open. And it was immediate, like within seconds.

Now on to the beer. As with many Belgian beers, I'm torn when I get to the "Drinkability" part. I would absolutely not drink a ton of these, despite the low abv%. But it's crisp, pleasant, very complex, well-made, and relatively easy to find. I'd get it again for sure.

rarevos, Oct 01, 2006

RoyFokker, Mar 21, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

orangey and hazy with a fluffy white head -- so pretty!
peachy smell, almost like the Peche, but a little more understated. very sour, but only a 7 or so on the sour scale when I think about a Flemish. peachy and yeasty and dry. very appetizing. there's a nice spritz in the middle of the medium body. drinkability is pretty high. wow this is enjoyable.

texashammer, Sep 25, 2005

davidwhatshisnam, Feb 26, 2014

Kopfschuss, Mar 25, 2012

kybeerdrinker, Jun 12, 2014

Antiantianti, Sep 08, 2014
4.22/5  rDev +17.9%

This is my first lambic experience, so I will try to be as open-minded as possible in this review. Poured into a matching Lindemans flute with a clear gold and thin white lacing for a head. Lots of bubbles throughout.

Nose is strong bitter and sour yeasts. Very grassy but a hint of sweet caramel as well. Very tarty citrus notes also.

I was a little shocked by my first taste, but in a good way. Very warm tarty and crispy lemon perfectly balanced by a sweet malt. Sour, but not overly so.

Very warm and smooth mouthfeel. Somewhat creamy, yet very sharp at the same time. High carbonation and easily drinkable. I think I'm the newest convert to lambics. Would definitely recommend this to any beer drinker. It's different, but good.

Phocion, Aug 26, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +17.9%

12 oz. green champagne bottle. It pours into my flute glass orangey/bronze, with light carbonation and a thin, whitish head that leaves light lacing. Quite aromatic, with mouth-watering tart and acidic notes, along with tangy wheat and a light musty character. On the palate, it is tart and lightly sweet, with a crisp fruitiness (melon/apple?/grape?) a lemony bite, mild cork and oak, a dash of hops, salt?, and some wild/funky notes. The body is medium with light carbonation, smooth yet dry, and it has a sweet, lingering finish. Overall a quite drinkable, but mild gueuze - one packed with flavor, but it's not quite tart or wild enough to fully stimulate my senses.

mmmbeer, Jun 14, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +17.3%

Bottle corked and capped, foil wrapped. Pours a clean copper orange color with very little, if any, yeast particles visible. Big white head that lasts ... fine lacing in the goblet I've poured into. Nose is complex and strange, but in a good way. Definitely a musty (read: old damp room) smell, that actually works for this style. Sweet as well ... bittersweet fruits and straw. Palate is sweet and sour, but maybe the sweet wins out here. Slight Vinegar-like character which causes the mouth to water ... something I actually love in a Lambic. Fruity and quite smooth through the vinegar acidity. Warms to a smoother malt backbone. Finishes quite dry and lively with aggressive carbonation levels. Not being an expert in the Gueuze style, I can't say how it stacks up to it's competition, but I do know I like this on it's own merits. Best Lindeman's product I've had, by far. Makes me want more and that's got to be a good thing. If you're not familiar with a Gueuze, this is probably a good, safe place to start the journey.

beerphilosopher, Jul 15, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +17.3%

Label Lore: Now that my arm is tired from struggling with the cork, since the cap broke off. BA brownie points: There is a punt in the bottom of the 12 oz. 355 mL bottle.

Clear brewed iced tea golden orange hues with a few scant bubbles that rise up, but only for a few seconds. An egg shell white paper thin head cap that trails down me tulip glass.

Bitter sour acidic lemony scents cut through me nostrils. Plenty of flower petal earthy airy meadow aromas.

First Swigs: Cherry soda with extra syrup flavorings. Sour, but not overly so for a gueuze. Tart apple. I can smell and taste the cranberry Earthy dandelionish meadow. At the end, some maltiness appeared.

Frothy feel foams instantly. Thin bodied, the way a gueuze properly should be.

I could drink these all night long, no problemo.

Last Swigs: Reminds me of Unibroue Ephemere Apple. I didn’t get any lees from the pour, despite trying. I’ve heard people refer to Lindemans the “quick fix for the gueuze craving.” True. $5.75 from Circle Liquors. Worth a try. Heck! 4% ABV.

Beer is good. Happy goooze beering.

blitheringidiot, Nov 24, 2004