1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Lindemans Gueuze - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans GueuzeLindemans Gueuze

good

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Gueuze |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-03-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Gueuze Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a clouded dull amber with a frothy and big head that settles to a nice blanket over the top of the beer. Slow moving carbonation bubbles drift to the top throughout the glass.

Smell is a very nice interplay between a light cider vinegar and floral sweet peachiness. A woody earthiness is consistent throughout the sour/sweet interplay.

A lightly sour bite starts things off with the sweeter peachy flavors following close behind. Not very tart at all with a slightly saccharine aftertaste and a very light body. The carbonation makes it feel all the more ethereal. I wish it were more tart.

silenius, Jun 14, 2005
3.63/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance: Foiled, capped, and corked. Pours a red color. Has a medium sized head that forms a nice collar...even sticks to the glass a little. The brew is filled with tons of tiny bubbles.

Taste: It tastes like no beer I've ever had. A little tart like vinegar. Some taste associated with oak aging. Very fruity like grapes or apples. Reminds me of the taste of sparkling grape juice.

Mouthfeel: feels kind of like chapagne. Very bubbly in the mouth. Medium to light body. Dry. Very tasty.

Drinkability: This is a pretty good beer. I don't know how much funk I should be expecting from the style. I expected a lot, but didn't receive anything I thought was particularly funky. My first outing with some flemish reds was a much bigger shock. This is very approachable and I recommend it as a starter (from one newcomer of the style to another).

cracgor, Jun 05, 2005
3.78/5  rDev +5.6%

Clear coppery color, lots of tight, fine streams of bubbles, and a dense foamy white head that left gobs of lace behind.
Smell was tart and sharply funky initially yet mellowed out a lot as it warmed a bit. Lots of sour apple and tart green grape aroma and taste. Lighter wet hay and musty grain aroma and taste yet they stand up well to the fruitiness. Feel is light, bone-dry and refreshing.
Overall, better than I expected but not as good as their Gueuze Cuvee Rene. I like this style to be a bit more on the sour and funky side vice the fruity/sweet. Nevertheless, a decent version of the style.

Boilermaker88, Jun 03, 2005
3.18/5  rDev -11.2%

A copper colored lambic with a mild amount of carbonation. This beer smells like your typical funky lambic (yeast, wet hay, cork, etc.), but in a very mellow way. It tastes fruity and sour, with notes of lemon, apple, peach, but all of these flavors are quite subdued. I prefer lambics with a bit more of an assertive sourness. However, this one is still pretty good.

fisherman34, May 18, 2005
3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Has a clean amber color with a BIG beige head and a nice lace effect. The aroma is very fruity (almost apple) and sour, but in a mouthwatering way. The floavor is a light fruity sweetness with hints of apples and cherries. The finish is sour and dry yet not "suck your cheeks in" sour. Refreshing.

ybnorml, Apr 15, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +14%

small bottle, caped and corked. Pours a dull orangy amber, white head, quickly morphs to a thin film and leaves just a tad of lacing. Nose is very crisp, sour and fruity. this is a sour style of beer, not for the faint of heart and not for all beer lovers. Its an acquired taste and these beers tend to grow on you as you try them more. This one is fruity, refreshing,complex and moderatly sour from start to finish. Went well with a waldorf salad, and would be right for all sorts of lighter fare. salads, dessert, fish etc.

Billolick, Jan 30, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

Reviewed from scribbled notes from last night.

Pours a nice fizzy red. The smell is wonderful and full of apples and bananas. The taste is very sharp, crisp and clean, and again full of apples. Strong flavored, much like how a good wine should taste. The mouthfeel is a little too thin, but the drinkability is through the roof.

santoslhalper, Jan 30, 2005
3.55/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Pours a nice hazy golden color with good carbonation and a nice white head. I can smell a skunky hop aroma before I near the brew..upon closer sniffing a nice efferevesensce hits my my nose full of apple type acidic fruityness. Taste is definitely heavy on the apples up front, then dries into a nice sour fruity taste, only to finish with a cardboard type aftertaste that really detracts. Excellent dry mouthfeel with good carbonation make this quite a drinkable brew. I fear my tummy will fight back against this acidic brew though, so drinkability is decreased...a nice change up

avylover, Jan 26, 2005
3.35/5  rDev -6.4%

From a capped and corked 12 ounce bottle, it pours a slightly hazy gold with a persistent white head that seems to remain at 1/4 inch no matter how long it sits. The smell is on the tart side but with some sweetness in the background. Unfortunately, the taste is surprisingly sweet and seemingly artificially so. It almost seems like a high-class and tart malt beverage. The mouthfeel is on the thick side. It's a bit disappointing.

mickeymac, Dec 30, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +17.3%

Label Lore: Now that my arm is tired from struggling with the cork, since the cap broke off. BA brownie points: There is a punt in the bottom of the 12 oz. 355 mL bottle.

Clear brewed iced tea golden orange hues with a few scant bubbles that rise up, but only for a few seconds. An egg shell white paper thin head cap that trails down me tulip glass.

Bitter sour acidic lemony scents cut through me nostrils. Plenty of flower petal earthy airy meadow aromas.

First Swigs: Cherry soda with extra syrup flavorings. Sour, but not overly so for a gueuze. Tart apple. I can smell and taste the cranberry Earthy dandelionish meadow. At the end, some maltiness appeared.

Frothy feel foams instantly. Thin bodied, the way a gueuze properly should be.

I could drink these all night long, no problemo.

Last Swigs: Reminds me of Unibroue Ephemere Apple. I didn’t get any lees from the pour, despite trying. I’ve heard people refer to Lindemans the “quick fix for the gueuze craving.” True. $5.75 from Circle Liquors. Worth a try. Heck! 4% ABV.

Beer is good. Happy goooze beering.

blitheringidiot, Nov 24, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +8.4%

This one poured out a cloudy amber with a short foamy head. Looked quite interesting, about what I expected.

The aroma was tart, with notes of cherry fruitiness. Slightly astringent.

The taste was very tart, yet slightly sweet, with a bit of cherry fruitiness evident. Overall a pretty good beer, and one that I could drink several of if it were less expensive.

connecticutpoet, Nov 06, 2004
3.73/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a dark golden, semi-cloudy color with a huge head that slowly collapses. Aroma has some sweetness floating around a much stronger sour/tart sharpness. Decent aroma. Flavor is sharp and tart, with a sour-apple candy sensation. Fruit sensation is not strong. Has gueuze flavor profile, but is the sweetest gueuze I have tried to date. This has the odd effect of raising drinkability for uninitiated Americans like me, but takes it away from its traditions. Ah, this style still works on me- I am beginning to appreciate the "classics", but it is a lot of work...

Dukeofearl, Oct 19, 2004

Appearance – Deep, dark, orange in color tinted with brown. The head is white, thick, and lasting.

Smell – This starts with some classic farmhouse smells up front then turn grassy. It quickly presents a light lemon and lime nose.

Taste – The lemonade is bigger at the taste with a nice malty base. The sourness is easy and not cheap like some efforts at the style.

Mouthfeel – This is big for a Gueze, maybe medium-bodied, with a nice tart finish.

Drinkability – This is a good Gueze that can nicely introduce the style. It is not overly carbonated or sour and is an easy-drinker.

RoyalT, Aug 18, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Beer pours a clear golden color with less than a finger of head that leaves the beer quickly. The nose is tart with apple almost like a cider and rather dry. Wow, this is sour, but good. There are heavy apple characters with a sweetness that balances the tart. I like it. This is my first gueuze, so I don't have much to compare to, but it has the same sour character I associate he other lambics I've had. The beer is light to moderately in my mouth with a nice bubble carbonation. This would be a nice beer to present to someone that likes a sparkling wine to try and expand their horizons. I would drink it again, but you don't want too much, just like with wines.

kmpitz2, Aug 09, 2004
3.58/5  rDev 0%

The beer wholesaler stupidly assured me that this is "the same as Cuvee Renee only in a smaller bottle." I didn't believe him, but I wanted to taste it before I argued. Well, this is obviously is NOT Cuvee Rene. It is sweetened. My first impression on the nose was of apple concentrate. And that's probably a good syrup ingredient to adjust the dryness of a naturally dry Gueuze base beer.

Longbeach is right. As a hard cider this is excellent. As a "Gueuze" it has issues. Clearly unpasteurized with lots of gamy, chewy, spicy, nutty flesh - it verges on cloying at the same time. Sour, peppery and sweet. I wonder how this would be mulled with clove and a cinnamon stick?

putnam, Jul 25, 2004
3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

37.5cl bottle: (Under the Foudroyante alias). The beer pours a slightly opaque orangish color. There was a big head that died down quickly. The aroma is very sweet, yet slightly sour aroma also. Mainly apples to the nose. Somewhat apple and lemony to the taste. Somewhat dry and tart, yet still sweet. Nice, but not the best.

Boto, Jul 09, 2004
3.4/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance - decanted a hazy orange into a Rochefort chalice. Minimal bubbly head pops away rather quickly. Translucent orange color. Some sediment made it into the glass.

Aroma - winy fruit smell, some grainy mustiness (moldy bread?). Peculiar and interesting at the same time.

Taste - fruity, sour lemon, tart like dry champagne. Definite leathery taste on the swallow. More of the mustiness, too. I like the sour apple taste, this could grow on me if I'd let it.

Mouthfeel - average feel, nice carbonation. Sourness hangs in the mouth like a film.

Drinkability - interesting beer, but I probably won't seek it out. Glad I tried it though.

brewdlyhooked13, Apr 04, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +15.4%

Carefully decanted from the lees, it's a clear copper color with golden and orange highlights; and just a few solid particles in suspension. Tiny bubbles race to the surface, adding to its full, creamy white head. The retention is excellent and it leaves wide, creamy walls of lace. The nose is surprisingly sweet for the style with a touch of sour fruitiness over the traditional lambic characteristics (must, leather, barnyard, etc.). The body is thin, and it's crisp and zesty in the mouth due to it's natural carbonation; but it's also slightly drying and borderline astringent due to it's acidity. Its sweet and sour flavor hints at fruitiness upfront but warms to reveal a wheat-like maltiness and some subtle nutty character beneath. It finishes dry but with some sticky malt and short-lingering brett character. Overall, this is a fairly basic, restrained gueuze that should appeal to the masses. It's an excellent introduction to the style, and it offers immense drinkability to the initiated. Well worth trying or re-visiting.

NeroFiddled, Mar 31, 2004
3.63/5  rDev +1.4%

A hazy deep orange-copper color with a bubbly white head. Scents of green apples and sourdough bread are upfront, along with an earthy-grass aroma. Starts with a tart fruittiness that makes your mouth pucker. Sweetness follows and gets a bit cloying. Finishes dry and crisp. Thin and spritzy on the tounge. Drinkablity losses a bit due to the residual sugars that linger behind. Not bad at all, but I prefer their Framboise.

Lupe, Mar 07, 2004
3.43/5  rDev -4.2%

On first sip, the flavor profile seems fairly straightforward. On contemplation, however, new dimensions slowly emerge. Up front, the initial impression is much like a sparkling white wine. A bit more tartness backs this up, with some green apple and muted lemon juice. Bringing up the rear is a bit of mustyness. I've often read "leather" as a descriptive flavor, but, until now, I'd never had a distinct impression of it in a beer - but there it was, like chewing on an old, leather bootlace. An interesting beer, and worth the experience, but not a style I plan to spend a lot of time with.

As an aside, I had my wife give this a try - she does not like hoppy beer, and likes wine, so I thought this might appeal to her. Wrong. Her reaction was "how can you drink this - are you sure it isn't spoiled?" She ended up deciding that I had finally fried my tastebuds beyond redemption.

Brent, Mar 06, 2004
3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

My first Gueuze. Finally got a hold of one after a year of trying to get my distributor to order them for me. Poured a orangish tan with a nice foamy white head. The smell is all over, from champagne type yeastiness, to sourdough bread starter, cider, lemon. Taste was a nice combination of all of these with a winey cidery flavour dominating with the sourdough coming in at the mid and a citric bit of dryness at the end. Nice sour tart taste through out .The carbonation was nice and led to a good clean mouthfeel. Drinkabilty was above average. I dont think I could put away more than a couple of these, but It was definately a nice flavour. I know this takes some heat as not a real gueuze, but It was a good starting point. And if this is on the lower end of the spectrum I cannot wait to find some better ones to try.

TinusTime, Mar 01, 2004
4.15/5  rDev +15.9%

The beer pours an amber color with a thick frothy white head. The aroma is good. It has a very tart smell that is quite intense. I really can't make out anything else. The taste is great. It is light with a slight malt flavor. It's mostly hidden by the beer's sour nature. It goes down smooth and is very refreshing. I love lambic beers. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a good sessions beer. It's not the best Lindeman's produces, but it's pretty damn good nonetheless.

WesWes, Feb 25, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +23.7%

It poured a beautiful cloudy gold with plenty of sediment and carbonation visible. It had 1 finger of white head that quickly became a nice lace. It's smell was fruity and spicy. The taste was of malt and yeast almost gingery with a hint of a mix of Champagne and berries. It is wet and oily, but has a Champagne like tinge of tart dryness in the finish. What a great beer, the complex tastes made it a real feast. My only real issue was that it disappeared way to quickly.

claytri, Feb 03, 2004
3.83/5  rDev +7%

12 oz bottle, corked and capped. Pours into a goblet a hazy burnt orange with a signigicant amount of sediment particles swirling around with the small bubbles from high carbonation. Short lasting white head which left considerable sheets of lacing. Aroma is dominated by sour green apple fruitiness, tart acidity, and some notes of wet dog blanket. Mouthfeel is fizzy and tart. Taste has some mustiness, some wheat grain, and plenty of sour green apple flavors. This was my first Geuze, and I can't wait to try some others.

merlin48, Jan 22, 2004
3.73/5  rDev +4.2%

pale amber color with a slight hazyness and decent white head. tart acidic aroma slightly fruity with some citrus and woody notes. surprisingly this has a slightly sweet taste in the beginning that I wasn't expecting. that's followed by a very good amount of carbonation and a little tarty sourness that dries out the mouth after you swallow. this is my first gueze so I don't really know what it should taste like but I gotta say this is fantstic to me.

shippos, Nov 04, 2003