Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Lindemans Apple - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans AppleLindemans Apple

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  3.50% ABV

Beer added by: CualityC on 05-13-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Apple Alström Bros
1.98/5  rDev -46.5%

Pours a cloudy gold with some white head that leaves a bit of lacing. Nose is, surprise, surprise - apple. To me it already reminds me of an apple Jolly Rancher. I give it a 3 because it reminds me too much of the candy and lacks maturity. Taste is nasty. Tastes like sour apple. Like that candy was melted and morphed into a drink. It gets more tolerable as times goes on, as is typical with Lindemans brew. But really. Eck. You might as well put this in a bottle and let your kid drink it as apple juice, if it weren't for the alcohol in it. No way am I going to be able to finish this bottle...or an inch more of what is in the glass. Horrid. The only thing I can think that would save this is a proper pairing with food.

2.18/5  rDev -41.1%

pomme poetry

appearance: cloudy peach thick crazy white foam

smell: super candy blowpop almost perfumey

taste: is there such a thing as apple cough syrup?

mouthfeel: thick apple perfume bitter usual carbonation tart sour

drinkability: eh. too sweet too sour too thick too perfumey

stuck with a whole bottle - stick with raspberry
whatever you do, don't drink the fuzz
interesting but not good

2.28/5  rDev -38.4%

A- Pours a yellowish gold color with a descent white head.

S- A pretty overpowering apple smell and that't about it.

T- Just like the nose, very sweet, and tons of apples.

M- Fizzy carbonation and light to medium in body.

D- Reminds me more of apple juice/cider than beer no thanks for me.

2.31/5  rDev -37.6%

Presentation: 355ml (12 fl.oz.) cobalt green bottle sealed with an embedded cork and Lindemans logo’d crown cap, all covered in a Granny Smith colored metallic green foil. It has a very traditional looking yet generic Lindemans cream colored label. “Pomme Lambic” is the name, yet quirkily it is also referred to as a “Malt beverage with Apple Juice and Natural Flavor added”, which destroys the traditional setting and sits it firmly into the commercial arena. No strength or best before date but a recommended serving temperature of 38-41 Degrees Fahrenheit.

Appearance: Light golden body. Soft white head remains at ½” thick throughout. Gentle lacing with a bold carbonation supported by a resilient pack of streamers throughout, the champagne factor is prevalent in the looks.

Nose: Green apple skins and forthright apple tones. False nose with a pungent sweet apple candy aroma. Simulated sour tinges.

Taste: Sweet apple skins, Granny Smith bites with a high artificial input from synthetic apple juice. Forced and far from real, the reproduction tastes are of adjuncts, imitation juices and E–numbers. Lacks sharpness, which I would expect from a real “lambic”.

Mouthfeel: Champagne Charlie with an apple soda base which helps to promote the fizz to a manageable level.

Drinkability: The sticky sweetness is too much, the fizz belligerent and the overall artificial character is dominating. 355ml is just about the limit.

Overall: Nothing repulsive. Absolutely no beer base, and it definitely is not a lambic, it is….well, erm….nothing more than expensive Apple Juice. A chick beer hands down. Nice enough, but I find it hard to acknowledge that I am even writing a "beer" review for this alcopop. Shockingly predictable, just as I imagined.

2.35/5  rDev -36.5%

Somehow I think I'm being a little too generous here. Anybody else remember the horror that was Apple Bach from Cherryland? Anyway, poured with a smallish off white head that soon subsided and a tiny bit of lace. Color is a hazy amber. Aroma is solid tart apples. Flavor is solid sweet tart apples. Body is ok and carbonation is fizzy. Finish is like flavor. Doubt that I'll ever have another.

2.6/5  rDev -29.7%

A- pours a hazy clouded golden color, has a big frothy head that retains well enough and laces decently

S- smell a semi tart/semi sweet apple aroma, smells a bit "artificial" in some aspect, cant quite place it though

T- a bit too sweet for me, tastes like a green apple jolly rancher, doesnt have that kind of sharp sour taste (which I really enjoy) like you get from more traditional lambics

M- low/moderate carbonation, light body

D- much too sweet for me, other lambics ive had are more sour, less carbonated, less sweet, thats how ive come to understand the style, even those arent super drinkable, this is ok at best, would not really recomend this one

2.67/5  rDev -27.8%

A: We all agree that there was a lot of sediment floating around, very cloudy with a dark yellow/tan tint to it.. also it had very little head and no lacing on the glass.

S: As soon as we lifted the rim to our noses... the strong smell of tart, apple almost floral was escaping the glass.

T: We all agreed that it reminded us of sparkling apple cider. Not much of a beer flavor it was more like a glass of wine. Also not much carbonation ... very caramelized.

M: The mouthfeel was very smooth and will not make you belch... the carbonation was so small that it did not cause any discomfort in your stomach.

D: We feel that this beer is very feminine and can be enjoyed on a sunny, summery day outside.

**Thank you to Nick and Candace for the complete review**

2.69/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I chilled this in the fridge for half an hour and served in one of my New Belgium snifters.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden-orange with a white foamy half-inch head that recedes to a persistent thin layer with nice lacing.

Smell: Very strong candy-like sour apple aroma, that overpowers everything else.

Taste: As with the smell the palate is dominated by a candy-like sour apple flavor. There's a faint hint of wheat in the finish, but it's mostly sweet.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and full-bodied with mild carbonation and a slight dryness in the finish.

Drinkability: The sweetness of this beer is too much for me.

Overall: Given that this is a Lindeman's fruit lambic I expected it to be on the sweet side, but this was too much. I definitely prefer Lindeman's other fruit lambics to this. It's like drinking a sour apple Jolly Rancher.

2.7/5  rDev -27%

This beer poured nicely and looked promising with gold color and a nice head. It had a strong green apple aroma but was too candy sweet for my tastes. It was more like a champagne or cider than beer. I'm not a huge Lambic fan but I was hoping it would pair well with Pad Thai. I couldn't finish it. If your are a Lambic fan, it might be for you.

2.7/5  rDev -27%

A: Slightly hazy, pale green. Head like champagne that faded fast and left nothing behind.

S: Cherry cough drops, apple skins, sour apple Jolly Ranchers, fresh apples. Get it?

T: Sour to sweet, apples, cool water, light traces of grains.

D: This ain't beer. I'll drink it in place of apple juice. Possibly a step up from Martinelli's Sparkling.

Value: Absurd to pay this much for a sparkling, watered-down fruity beer. But as you can see, price something high and lots of people will think it's great.

If I'm gonna drink a fruity beer, give me a Samuel Smith's Cherry Ale...

2.71/5  rDev -26.8%

This beer has a clear golden body with a bit of nice white head with good retention.A bit of spotty lacing clings to the outside of the glass. The aroma was not as sweet or cloying as the framboise. It gave me hope that maybe this would not be the sweet mess that that beer was. Some green apple and very mild funk. The flavor was like a melted green jolly rancher. Sweet, sour apple, not very appealing. Mouthfeel was way too heavy and carbonation was too low. Interesting beer, but it was really just not at all my preference. Way too sweet, almost like sucking on a hard candy.

2.76/5  rDev -25.4%

This is an incredibly difficult review for me. On one hand I actually really like a lot of what this beverage has to offer, on the other I can't quite figure out how this fits into the spectra of beer...

A- pours a golden light orange, almost clear. Nice 2 finger head but dissipates quickly, sone lacing

S- the tart but synthetic essence of green apple jolly ranchers (which I happen to love), cane sugar, with a barely noticeable yeasty and barnyard quality typical of lindemans lambics. This is where it becomes difficult and quite frankly frightening for me...should a beer really smell like this? It is inviting, yet so very wrong.

T- no surprise here after initially stuffing my nose into the glass. Atomic strength green apple. This stuff is more apple than apple, so to speak. Really syrupy sweet. Apple candy in a glass. Finishes almost tart enough to balance it out, but sadly not quite. Again, quite tasty, but wrong. I kind of feel like I'm cheating on beer with this stuff.

M- really good carbonation, low abv and the nearly great sweet/tart balance make it actually react quite nicely with the mouth.

D- designed to be consumed en masse, despite mixed feelings about this stuff it goes down easy.

2.76/5  rDev -25.4%

Yellow-gold cloudy concoction with a minor bubbly head and very little lacing. The smell is of sour, crisp apples and some earthy/compost-like stuff. The taste comes off as a fizzy tart apple and yeast blend, like granny apple soda or champagne. Kind of a refreshing experience for a few sips if you think more soda than beer, and it seems drinkable enough, like any soda could be, but it is too sweet for me to want more than a taste of this stuff I think. I recommend you ask for a sample size of this before you commit to a full portion. It was alright for a try though.

2.8/5  rDev -24.3%

Have you ever had a green apple blow pop? If so, then you know what this smells and tastes like. Add in a fizzy translucent golden appearance, and a spritzy feel, and there you have Lindemans Pomme. It is better than, say, cider, but worse than the other sweet Lindemans fruit Lambics.

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

Similar looking to a carbonated apple juice, including the lack of head on this one.
Wonderful smelling. It's like holding a green apple blow pop up to your nose.
I expected Granny Smith apples in the flavor and instead got Green Apple Jolly Ranchers. Way to sweet and too much like candy for me.
The huge amount of sugar in this one makes the mouthfeel sticky and syrupy.
I did a lot of complaining in this review but overall it is an interesting beer but it's just not what I expected. I'm glad I tried it but I don't think I'd try it again.

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

All the fruits I've reviewed recently are from notes.

Bottle into my favorite Mason bicentennial jar.

A: Decent head that fades over a pale body pretty quickly.

S & T: Jolly ranchers apple flavored. Can't get around it. Maybe a hint of Granny's apple pie in there but the predominate nose and tastebud is green jolly rancher.

M: Not too bad.

D: Too strangely artificially flavored for me. Although i am sure they use real ingredients; they wind up with green jolly ranchers.

2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

This was an OK impulse purchase. Seemed thin, a little stringy, if that's the word. Tasted more like a cider than a beer. It did have a nice, fizzy mouthfeel from the carbonation, but, again, the flavor of apples predominated rather than appearing as an additive.

2.89/5  rDev -21.9%

Hazy gold, topped with a big, puffy white head. I was half expecting this to pour bright yellow-green, to match the unnatural color of some of their other varieties. Hold a decent couple millimeters of head throughout. Heavy, syrupy green apple scent. Very much like sour apple hard candy. Not entirely what I like in a beer, of any variety. The flavor is somewhat more beer-like, with light wheaty grain barely surfacing under the omnipresent green apple Jolly Rancher syrup. Nicely effervescent though, with a soft, fuller texture. Not a whole lot going on aside from the apple. With the malt, it comes across as one of those $1 apple pies you find in the gas station. The definition of the word cloying. Some faint lambic sourness, but not much to make note of. Really, half a bottle was more than enough for me, and it took me a while to get through just that. More like a sickly sweet apple soda than a beer. The bottle was a gift, so I can't complain too much.

2.9/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours into my 25cl tulip glass with an initial finger-and-a-half thick, pale, off-white colored head. The beer is incredibly hazy and in fact showed no sign of ever clearing despite resting in my cellar for the last month. It is an opaque, orange tinged, gold color. Sticky, sweet, apple-candy aromas (very similar to jolly ranchers) are noticeable as soon as I pull the cork and are only more affirmed once I actually try and smell the beer. There are no subtle nuances here, the aroma is completely dominated by sweet apple notes.

As expected the taste is quite similar; it tastes like a apple candy, very unlike apples or cider, but instead more like concentrated, sweetened syrup for your breakfast pancakes. This is quite easy drinking, with a bit of fullness to it, though perhaps not quite as much as the sweetness might suggest. There is a touch of tartness in the flavor, but it gets wrapped up in the sweet apple notes it is hard to perceive, but I think this is all that is noticeable of any real Lambic flavors.

Not much to say about this, if you like sweet then this works as a desert, it certainly is not beer, but I wouldn't say that it is offensive; the most offensive thing about it is that the word Lambic is on the label.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ

2.9/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Enjoyed in a snifter

A: pours a golden color. Pours with a 1" head, which is of a white color. A lot of lacing.

S: smell is very sweet, smells like a granny smith apple. Smells very fresh and refreshing.

T: very carbonated. Taste is similar to smell in that it resembled a granny smith apple. Very sweet, almost cidery.

M: sweet, not too sour and carbonated so keeps mouth flavor very engaged and on edge.

Overall, enjoyable, but I think that the black cherry flavor is more enjoyable personally. This one resembles apple juice/ cider too much for me to believe it is beer.

2.91/5  rDev -21.4%

Pomme has a dull, hazy, golden-yellow colored body with a nice white head that is made up of tightly packed little bubbles.

The aroma is packed with an artificial, green apple flavor, much like what you would find in a jolly rancher candy. Underneath the sugary sweetness there is a hint of tartness.

It seems that the aroma pretty much told me everything I needed to know about this beer, as the dominant flavor is a sugary sweet, artificial tasting apple flavor that reminds me of a jolly rancher. At least the flavor has a little bit more going for it than the aroma though. A funky tartness sits underneath all of that candy flavor, and there is even a faint flavor that reminds of a actual apple; as in a green piece of fruit instead of a green hunk of candy. Even that flavor is a bit strange, however, because it reminds me of apple skin more than anything.

Mouthfeel is fine. It seems that Pomme has the look and the feel of an decent lambic.

This one is a little bit too sweet for me, and the 375ml bottle was more than I wanted to finish on my own.

2.95/5  rDev -20.3%

Picked this bottle up in a Lindeman's gift set. I was a little leary to try this one as I had hear it tasted like an apple Jolly Racher. The beer poured a slightly cloudy golden yellow color with a slight off white head. The beer had a candy apple nose and a touch of earthiness to it as well. The was actually like an apple Jolly Rancher, very syrupy tasting that leaves a sugary taste on the tongue that is not overly pleasing. Worth a try but I don't think I would go back.

2.95/5  rDev -20.3%

375 mL corked and capped, foil wrapped bottle, poured into a flute.

Pours a clouded golden yellow with a slight greenish tint. Frothy whitish head with awesome retention and lacing. Aroma is fruity and tart, green apples (Granny Smith-like) with only a trace of the impending doom of sweetness that follows in the flavor. Flavor starts off pleasantly tart and sour, like biting into a crisp, fresh Granny Smith, before an unrelenting syrup sweet green Jolly Rancher flavor takes over and refuses to clear the palate long into the finish. Better than I expected, but still disappointing and missing the mark from a true lambic. Was a nice way to try this in their holiday gift pack, but I wouldn't purchase this separately.

2.96/5  rDev -20%

Serving date: 2009-01-23. Served in snifter.

Presentation: 250 ml foiled bottle with freshness date on label (Best before 2010-10-29).

Appearance: I almost expected this one to be green, considering the looks of the bottle... On o more serious note, it's bright orange, almost yellow, and very hazy. A decent two fingered white head settles into a nice long-lasting coat of foam and leaves some fragmentary lacings.

Smell: Apples, apples, apples, and maybe a hint of artificial sweetener and sour aromas. Although the smell of apples can be quite nice and refreshing, this one is not. It mainly smells synthetic and candy-like. If I would use one term to describe the smell of this one, it would be sweet and sour soft apple candy. Even though it's kind of a unique smell, considering it's a beer, it's not that not pleasant.

Taste: A very prominent taste of apples up front... no surprises there. The synthetic character is played down a bit in the taste, but it's still there and the beer still tastes very much as apple candy. It's reminiscent of sweet apple cider. It's very sweet at first, then a slight sourness and some faint malty flavors take over for a little while. This is actually not a very pleasant part of the taste, since the faint malt flavor mixes badly with the overly sweet taste of apples. The finish is primarily sour, but also a bit tart and sweet. Again, the taste of sweet and sour soft apple candy appears. The sourness definitely adds to the brew and makes for a pleasant aspect of its overall profile. But after a while, it feels like I've eaten to much candy.

Mouthfeel: Actually quite good. It's medium-bodied with rather lively bubbles, that go well with the sweet and sour taste.

Drinkability: It's a bit hard to review this one. As a beer, it's rather unique since it tastes more like apple juice or apple cider. As an apple beverage, it's quite good, and if I would be in the mood for something sweet, like cider, I would definitely choose this one over most ciders I've tried. (But one bottle of it would be enough though for one night - it's too sickly-sweet for a second.) However, if I'm in the mood for beer, I would probably choose something else. It's nice for a change, I guess.

As a last comment, I must say that I really would have liked to see this one without the artificial sweetener and fruit juice. Although, I'm a layman when it comes to brewing lambics, but I think it would have been nicer if they would have stuck to the actual fruits.

NOTE: ABV is 4%, according to the label.

2.96/5  rDev -20%

Poured from a 12 ounce green bottle into a cervoise.

Appearance: A white cap of foam with a body that appropriately looks like apple cider.

Smell: Some green apple smell with an odd funkiness to it. Perhaps the cork is to blame for the funk.

Taste: Tart green apples. Not as big of an apple flavor as I expected.

Lindemans Apple from Brouwerij Lindemans