Lindemans Apple - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans AppleLindemans Apple

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Hammarby on 04-30-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Apple Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +22.5%

I've had all of the other Lindemans Lambics and have been nothing short of impressed by all of them. This is my first time with the Pomme...let's see if it impresses like the rest of the Lambic line.

A: Poured into a pint glass...light cloudy tannish color with a good amount of carbonation. Very little head that left a very small amount of lacing down the inside of the glass.

S: Smells like a big ripe green delicious apple! I think if I had a big mouth full of green apple Jolly Ranchers, my breath would smell just like this.

T: Apple, Apple Apple! Sweet at first...then moving to a slight tartness, a little bit sour, on the swallow. This is a tangy little number...quite delicious in my opinion.

M: Light mouthfeel, with decent carbonation. Kind of a dry finish to it.

D: The brewers at Lindemans are geniuses when it comes to Lambics! I've not had a Lambic yet that even comes close! I will always be a fan of this brewery! I could drink this stuff all day long!

drizzam, Feb 13, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -18.4%

Serving date: 2009-01-23. Served in snifter.

Presentation: 250 ml foiled bottle with freshness date on label (Best before 2010-10-29).

Appearance: I almost expected this one to be green, considering the looks of the bottle... On o more serious note, it's bright orange, almost yellow, and very hazy. A decent two fingered white head settles into a nice long-lasting coat of foam and leaves some fragmentary lacings.

Smell: Apples, apples, apples, and maybe a hint of artificial sweetener and sour aromas. Although the smell of apples can be quite nice and refreshing, this one is not. It mainly smells synthetic and candy-like. If I would use one term to describe the smell of this one, it would be sweet and sour soft apple candy. Even though it's kind of a unique smell, considering it's a beer, it's not that not pleasant.

Taste: A very prominent taste of apples up front... no surprises there. The synthetic character is played down a bit in the taste, but it's still there and the beer still tastes very much as apple candy. It's reminiscent of sweet apple cider. It's very sweet at first, then a slight sourness and some faint malty flavors take over for a little while. This is actually not a very pleasant part of the taste, since the faint malt flavor mixes badly with the overly sweet taste of apples. The finish is primarily sour, but also a bit tart and sweet. Again, the taste of sweet and sour soft apple candy appears. The sourness definitely adds to the brew and makes for a pleasant aspect of its overall profile. But after a while, it feels like I've eaten to much candy.

Mouthfeel: Actually quite good. It's medium-bodied with rather lively bubbles, that go well with the sweet and sour taste.

Drinkability: It's a bit hard to review this one. As a beer, it's rather unique since it tastes more like apple juice or apple cider. As an apple beverage, it's quite good, and if I would be in the mood for something sweet, like cider, I would definitely choose this one over most ciders I've tried. (But one bottle of it would be enough though for one night - it's too sickly-sweet for a second.) However, if I'm in the mood for beer, I would probably choose something else. It's nice for a change, I guess.

As a last comment, I must say that I really would have liked to see this one without the artificial sweetener and fruit juice. Although, I'm a layman when it comes to brewing lambics, but I think it would have been nicer if they would have stuck to the actual fruits.

NOTE: ABV is 4%, according to the label.

ricke, Jan 23, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

I tried out Lindemans' Peach over the summer while camping and wanted to see how the green apple would taste. I've read about it' use in other beers and felt this would be a good educational quaf as well as a way to get my wife try a a swig.

A: Poured into a oversized wineglass to show off
and burnt yellow moving to dark orange with heavy clouds swirling inside.

S: As lambic goes, this is properly fruity of it's name on the sour side, along with yeast and deep fermented fruit.

T: Tart rush of flavor moving to cloyingly sweet. Unlike wine coolers and other fruit drinks, this fruit flavor blast comes in a veteran delivery system. The mixture of sweet and sour is in perfect balance on this one.

M: Thich and heavy with a big portion of sugar. Sticky and full bodied will coat your throat for a long time. I'm not sure how anyone could put more than one of these down.

D: Lindemans knows what they are doing in the lambic category. I enjoyed the very sweet and mature mix of flavors.

Brianmerrilyn, Jan 13, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Served from a 750 ml bottle that I purchased at Chuck's Fine Wines in Chagrin Falls, Ohio into a clean, clear tulip glass. I do not own a flute type of glass which would likely be most appropriate. I bought this in the complete series of Lambics from Lindemans that Chuck's carries in order to sample them all.

A Unique non translucent light brown yellow body with a minimal head that dissipates within a minute or two. It is not unlike a thick cider might look.

S Sweet green apples and why not? I do not get much else in the smell but it is an inviting one.

T Sweetness is big (as is the other Lambics that I have tried from Lindemans) and the tart frsh green apple taste is way in front. It continues through to the aftertaste and a nice apple nectar taste is left behind. As it warmed the taste actually improved like a warming Cider might.

M Moderate with big apple tart and sweetness.

D Fair to good since this is certainly a dessert beer.

Notes: This beer really delivers on what it promises, an apple based Lambic and so I will give it a high rating for accurately portraying those tastes.

adamette, Dec 28, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured into Goblet. Pours a nice murky gold with a thin layer of head that sticks to the glass as it moves around. Smells as it probably should=sour apples.

Taste is also good if unsurprisng..could it be Apples? the interesting thing here is that I can taste a variety of apples as the drink progresses across the palate, and it isn't as sugary as I was expecting from Lindemans..much closer to the Kriek than the Framboise in sugar content. If both of those sound crazy sweet to you, stay away. Otherwise, mouthfeel is close to a sparkling wine and drinkability is mixed but good: Very easy to drink but so rich as that you probably won't want another.

sonicdescent, Dec 28, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +25.5%

Pours a straw-golden color with just a touch of haze to it. Nice sticky one-finger head.

Smell is exactly like a green apple jolly rancher or any other type of green apple candy. There's a nice natural green apple aroma but also a touch of that artificial candy sweetness. Taste starts with sweet apple, then fades to sour granny smith, then completely dries up with a bit of a puckering finish.

Mouthfeel is light and fizzy. The sweetness hinders the drinkability somewhat, but I could still drink this for a while.

daythree16, Dec 17, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -6%

A- pours a ciderlike green with a little bit of a white head
S- Apples, sugar right up in your grill
T- Like apples , very very sweet , like a cider, but not the kind of ciders I like
M- good, just very sweet and not as sour as I would have hoped
D- average, it has a very low abv, so it would be easy to drink alot of these if you had to drive, but it is very sweet

overall not a bad lambic, just a little sweet. I would rather check out a new cider before trying this again though

wouldnt be bad with desert , but hard to drink more than one

gdfan47, Dec 12, 2008

Reviewed on 3/29/08. Bottle. Poured a light orange with a wispy white head. Aroma and taste of tart sour apple, a good mix of sweet and sour flavors. Very drinkable. I had forgotten how much I love this beer! My favorite of the Lindemans.
Aroma: 8/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 8/10
Palate: 4/5
Overall: 15/20
3.9/5

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 02, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce green bottle into a cervoise.

Appearance: A white cap of foam with a body that appropriately looks like apple cider.

Smell: Some green apple smell with an odd funkiness to it. Perhaps the cork is to blame for the funk.

Taste: Tart green apples. Not as big of an apple flavor as I expected.

BierFan, Nov 21, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Fizzy, bubbly, some scattered lacing, hazy golden color.

S: Vanilla, honey, green apples (duh ..), not as much funk as their Cassis but it's there.

T: It took me a while to find the green apple flavor since I taste mostly vanilla & honey flavors. Kind of on the sweet side of that apple flavor instead of tart which I would have preferred.

M & D: Kind of syrupy, yet a good sipper. The sweetness gets kind of grating though. Very much like some good cider.

diamondc, Nov 11, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

Found this one in a regular supermarket in Degerfors, Örebro, Sweden. I just had to buy a few of it.

The bottle looks pretty nice! The color of the beer is hazy orange/yellow with a small white head.

Aroma is mostly sweet apples and a light maltiness. Pretty nice smell actually.

Tastes clean of apple and some artificial sweetener. Some malts lurk in the background.

I'm not a great fan of artificial sweeteners and I think it's just plain wrong to add it in a beer, what ever sort of beer. But I am keeping that out my mind while reweiving the beer.

All and all, highly drinkable and a good thirst quencher (though the artificial sweetener leaves a quite unpleasent dry feeling in your mouth).

Bananaman, Nov 08, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

I tried this but I gave it to my wife since she likes ciders. It was good and my wife seemed to really like it

appearance: hazy golden

smell: sharp apple

taste: deep apple flavor

mouthfeel: very high carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: very easy and smooth

CampusCrew, Oct 27, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

All the fruits I've reviewed recently are from notes.

Bottle into my favorite Mason bicentennial jar.

A: Decent head that fades over a pale body pretty quickly.

S & T: Jolly ranchers apple flavored. Can't get around it. Maybe a hint of Granny's apple pie in there but the predominate nose and tastebud is green jolly rancher.

M: Not too bad.

D: Too strangely artificially flavored for me. Although i am sure they use real ingredients; they wind up with green jolly ranchers.

baos, Oct 25, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

750ml bottle, poured into snifters.

A = Cloudy golden yellow with small white head, light lacing.

S = Apple cider, baking spices, cinnamon, baking soda, powdered sugar. Very refreshing.

T = Strong sour taste of almost ripe apples, some sugary sweetness, but not enough to overpower the nice distinct sourness from the yeast.

M = Medium bodied, great mouthcoating.

D = I could drink this stuff at the drop of a hat, very good.

Traquairlover, Oct 14, 2008
2.78/5  rDev -23.8%

Similar looking to a carbonated apple juice, including the lack of head on this one.
Wonderful smelling. It's like holding a green apple blow pop up to your nose.
I expected Granny Smith apples in the flavor and instead got Green Apple Jolly Ranchers. Way to sweet and too much like candy for me.
The huge amount of sugar in this one makes the mouthfeel sticky and syrupy.
I did a lot of complaining in this review but overall it is an interesting beer but it's just not what I expected. I'm glad I tried it but I don't think I'd try it again.

wcudwight, Oct 10, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

On-tap at Heroe's, on to the beer:

Apple beer for lunch? Let's see how this works....it looks like a witbier with a very faint yellow color and hazy body. this beer leaves very good lacing on the glass. I could type the words "green apple" and "green apple skins" over and over, but I'll use those terms just this this once. There's a lot of that flavor in this beer. The end of each sip turns tart and sour before it dries up. It's light in the mouth and semi-crisp with a just a kiss of alcohol.

I've found another Lindeman's offering I'd rather have then the widely available framboise (raspberry). Give this to a non-beer drinker and see how they'll react. Delicious!

DoubleJ, Oct 03, 2008
3.65/5  rDev 0%

Finally found this when I moved to Seattle. Golden appearance with a decent head. Smell is nice. Almost of Granny Smith apples. It's got a sour taste. Just like the aforementioned Granny Smith. That's nice because it's never good when a brew is sweet. The mouthfeel is nice. A bit acidic but not over bearing. Drinkability is good. It goes well on a warm day.

I mentioned in another review that I was a bit disappointed by the ABV % in the Lindemans. I have found a nice trick to raise this in the Pomme. Get some apple schnopps that's about 20 proof and poor a shot in the glass then pour your Pomme. It makes the beer a tad sweeter but doesn't over do it. It's adds more alcohol as well as a bit more taste :-)

awolcfh5150, Oct 01, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -6.8%

A- Pours out a pale orangy goldenrod. There's about a finger of whipped eggwhite head that leavs a few pocadots of lacing.

S- Good. The complexity of this one doesn't quite blow me away as the cherry lindemans did, but it's still there. There's a good amount of wine muskiness with strong yeast overtones. And then handfulls of fruit on top.

T- Fruity, of grannysmith green apples. There's also just a touch of butter, actually no I think that it's much closer to olive oil. The apple is dominant but this is still a delicious beer.

M- A tad too sweet and sour

D- I like it. I liked the cherry more as this one seems to be more imbalanced, but I still wouldn't mind having another.

zdk9, Sep 30, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: Looks yellowish with some bubbles. Basically looks like some white wine. Someone else said dark apple juice..I can take that too.

Aroma: Green apples and not much else.

Taste: Sour, and tart. Tastes pretty good...but its basically sour apple with alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Its light, but I'm not sure its supposed to be anything else. The tartness does enough to make it an interesting drink

Drinkability: Bit too fruity for me. Still good though. Not your typical beer either. Maybe an after dinner beverage?

kshankar, Sep 26, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -38.4%

A- Pours a yellowish gold color with a descent white head.

S- A pretty overpowering apple smell and that't about it.

T- Just like the nose, very sweet, and tons of apples.

M- Fizzy carbonation and light to medium in body.

D- Reminds me more of apple juice/cider than beer no thanks for me.

nrbw23, Sep 21, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

Tastes and smells like sour green apple candy. Not much more to say about it.. it is a sour tarty/fruity beer that is good for a change of pace or to suggest to those who do not like your typical malty hoppy beers. Drinkable in the sense it is not too strong, but too much of that fruity taste gets old kind of fast.

webmanspidey, Sep 12, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +20%

Like most Lindemans Lambics, this is more like candy than beer.

A- Looks like a hazy, unfiltered apple juice

S- Smells sweet, but with a spike of sour apple, like a Jolly Rancher.

T- Taste is excellent, like a candy apple but even more sweet.

M- Moderate mouthfeel with a sticky quality

D- Drinks good, but too much sugar to pound back

EnojysAnyBeer, Aug 31, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

Amazing.

It smelled and tasted just like a sour apple airhead... the chewy, sugary candy. Wow, this beer had so much flavor. It was a mix between apple juice, apple cider, and some sparkling sweet flavors. I couldn't find the beer in this Lambic either. I could of had a couple bottles, the sweetness would have been something to deal with, but it was too good. I recommend to all, but wheres the 'beer'?

nrpellegrini, Aug 21, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a cloudy yellow-ish color with a white head. Aromas of green apple and cinnamon. In the taste, again green apple and cinnamon. A bitter, sweet and sour apple mouthfeel, with a dry green apple and spice aftertaste. Taste almost like apple cider, dryer than most Lindeman's, and not as sugary.

OWSLEY069, Aug 14, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

I have had this beer numerous times since it was released, and I am just now getting around to reviewing it. Here we go:

Appearance: Pours a still clear orangish golden color with only a few bubbles there to make a head. It had a few bubbles rising, so it isn't COMPLETELY flat.

Aroma: The smell of tart green apples is unmistakable. There is also some other fruity aromatics in here, and I pick up pears in particular.

Taste: It hits your cheeks at first sip with the sour apple and attenuation. Once your palate gets used to it, you can actually pick up a bit of funk in this one. It has a slightly horsey flavor that may be an indication of age since it is so flat. The overall flavor is a bit watery with plenty of flavor. The mouthfeel is definitely lacking since the carbonation is so light. I am sure that other examples I have had were more carbonated.

Opinion: This is a pretty good beer, and actually one of my favorite in the Lindeman's fruit beer collection. It actually leaves a bit of the funk in rather than drowning it in syrup. This particular bottle must have a bit of age on it, but it doesn't taste bad at all. I would certainly drink this beer again, and recommend it...though the score from this review won't be the best because of this particular bottle.

SkeeterHawk, Aug 10, 2008