Lindemans Apple - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans AppleLindemans Apple

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Hammarby on 04-30-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Apple Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a cloudy yellow-ish color with a white head. Aromas of green apple and cinnamon. In the taste, again green apple and cinnamon. A bitter, sweet and sour apple mouthfeel, with a dry green apple and spice aftertaste. Taste almost like apple cider, dryer than most Lindeman's, and not as sugary.

OWSLEY069, Aug 14, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

I have had this beer numerous times since it was released, and I am just now getting around to reviewing it. Here we go:

Appearance: Pours a still clear orangish golden color with only a few bubbles there to make a head. It had a few bubbles rising, so it isn't COMPLETELY flat.

Aroma: The smell of tart green apples is unmistakable. There is also some other fruity aromatics in here, and I pick up pears in particular.

Taste: It hits your cheeks at first sip with the sour apple and attenuation. Once your palate gets used to it, you can actually pick up a bit of funk in this one. It has a slightly horsey flavor that may be an indication of age since it is so flat. The overall flavor is a bit watery with plenty of flavor. The mouthfeel is definitely lacking since the carbonation is so light. I am sure that other examples I have had were more carbonated.

Opinion: This is a pretty good beer, and actually one of my favorite in the Lindeman's fruit beer collection. It actually leaves a bit of the funk in rather than drowning it in syrup. This particular bottle must have a bit of age on it, but it doesn't taste bad at all. I would certainly drink this beer again, and recommend it...though the score from this review won't be the best because of this particular bottle.

SkeeterHawk, Aug 10, 2008
3.08/5  rDev -15.6%

A bright golden beer with a thin head.

Smell of green apples on top of a sweet and artificial apple smell. No hops or malt in the smell.

Taste is sweet with a distinct apple juice taste. Body is sweet and sticky. This beer has been sweetened. There is absolutely no malt or hops to be tasted here. Even the expected tartness is not present. I understand that this is really great for people that don't like beer, but not for me. I will be mild in my judgement.

Absumaster, Jul 20, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

355mL bottle purchased a month or so ago at Arbor Place Beverage, Douglasville GA

Aroma: Not very strong, mostly apple, overall the smell disappoints but it certainly isn't bad

Appearance: Cloudy golden body with a little bit of white head that dissipates without lacing too much

Taste: Lots of green apple flavor with a sour twist. I love apple juice and think of this as apple juice with some tartness and alcohol (or so says the bottle, you can't find it)

Feel: pretty light body with fair carbonation

Drinkability: easy, like an apple soda, I could drink this all day

A great drink for an apple lover like myself.

jophish17, Jun 30, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Served in proper glass from the bottle.

A: Pours a cloudy golden body with almost no head. Tilt the glass sideways and the beer takes its time falling back down the side of the glass.

S: Apple! Wonderful fresh green apple. A hint of another citrus, but the apple is definitely prominent.

T: Granny Smith apple taste, slighty tart but mostly sweet. A 'green apple' Jolly Rancher in liquid form! Definitely leaves an apple taste behind though the aftertaste is not as sweet and slightly dry.

M: Smooth and thin, but great for this beer. Makes it easy to drink.

D: A very drinkable beer for me, which is surprising since I don't like Apple Juice or Apple Cider and typically don't like fruit flavored beers. Though I would probably not drink one right after another, during an evening when I was looking for a sweeter, lower alcohol beer, it would certainly be one of my picks.

The bottle says serving temp between 38 and 41 degrees and I agree. The colder temp brings out the best in this beer. And, as I mentioned before, if you love the green Jolly Ranchers, you will indeed love this beer!

LifeIsGood, Jun 29, 2008
3.65/5  rDev 0%

750 ml corked bottled poured into Kolsch tube glass.

A: Light yellow pour with a bright white bubbly foam. Lacing was pillowy and thick right to the end, cool whip like.

N: Apple flavored sweet tarts. They arent kidding around with the apple aroma. Sweet apples, similar to a jolly rancher.

T: I notice a theme, here- strong apple taste. Not fake tasting but just granny smith apples like biting into a good NY upstate apple. If anything, a bit too sweet but I knew what I was getting into. Would have liked some mart tart flavors to balance it out, this should be reduced and put on some blueberry pancakes.

M: Extremely light and sweetness leaves you a bit puckered.

D: Perhaps a bit too sweet and not tart enough to really be a lambic. But for what it is, pretty tasty on a hot day.

marcpal, Jun 02, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours into my 25cl tulip glass with an initial finger-and-a-half thick, pale, off-white colored head. The beer is incredibly hazy and in fact showed no sign of ever clearing despite resting in my cellar for the last month. It is an opaque, orange tinged, gold color. Sticky, sweet, apple-candy aromas (very similar to jolly ranchers) are noticeable as soon as I pull the cork and are only more affirmed once I actually try and smell the beer. There are no subtle nuances here, the aroma is completely dominated by sweet apple notes.

As expected the taste is quite similar; it tastes like a apple candy, very unlike apples or cider, but instead more like concentrated, sweetened syrup for your breakfast pancakes. This is quite easy drinking, with a bit of fullness to it, though perhaps not quite as much as the sweetness might suggest. There is a touch of tartness in the flavor, but it gets wrapped up in the sweet apple notes it is hard to perceive, but I think this is all that is noticeable of any real Lambic flavors.

Not much to say about this, if you like sweet then this works as a desert, it certainly is not beer, but I wouldn't say that it is offensive; the most offensive thing about it is that the word Lambic is on the label.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ

Gueuzedude, May 21, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- poured a cloudy light golden color with a light white foam on top that faded quickly

S- straight apples, no trace of hops and a very light malt charachter, very strong grannysmith apple charachter

T- has a very intense apple charachter that is about as varied as apple can get, again all grannysmith apple flavor]. a little too sweet giving it a jolly rancher type charachter but nontheless still pretty good.

M- very light, high carbonation, the sweetness lingers on the tongue

D- pretty good, little too sweet for alot of it

Atron67, Apr 20, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +18.6%

This pours into my tall, stemmed Lindemans stange glass, barely building any head at all. Hmmm, it is a slightly hazy gold, naturally reminiscent of apple juice. Where are those legs coming from?

A chorus of granny smith apples, cherries, mixed berry, and undertones of yeast.

Lip puckering sweet, and tart with dry tones in the finish. Quite odd indeed. There is some mustiness in counter balance to the baked apples, and then there is a touch of cherry in the finish.

Light, smooth and syrupy. Ah ha, that's where the legs come from. Those yeast bugs left bushels of sugar in the cask.

Great for desert, but let's not forget breakfast. Leave the mimosa for someone else, this would pair well with an omelet, or French toast. Have at it!!

SLeffler27, Apr 16, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

11.2 oz green capped and corked! bottle > flute glass.

Pours out with an active, thin green color with a massive 2" high crown that is dense and very fluffy with very slow dissipation and ultra-sticky lacing. Very clumpy.

The aroma is spicey, sour-green apples with cream. slight herbs and spices. The aroma is noticed the second the cork is popped.

The flavor is of sweet green candy apples, the "sweet zone" is directly hit on the first sip but quickly and delicately changes to a tart and sour wild-yeast taste. Think: Green apple jolly rancher with sweet tarts.

This stuff is light, champagne-like airiness, but very smooth and creamy due to the very robust and fluffy head.

Very low alcohol makes this easy to drink and it makes a fine desert-style beer.

GratefulBeerGuy, Apr 11, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +11%

Poured a bottle of this into a glass mug.

A: Pours a nice, cloudy, golden body with a small white head with low retention and minimal lacing along the top of the beer and along the sides of the glass.

S: A nice, sweet, granny smith apple smell with sour undertones. Sour undertones are evident, but nothing too overbearing.

T: A nice, sweet apple taste with a dry, slightly sour finish. Excellent beer; reminds me of a green Jolly Rancher with a dry, slightly sour finish.

M: A little on the thin side, but still smooth overall.

D: A very drinkable beer overall. A great mix of sweet and sour tastes. Nice, smooth mouthfeel makes it an excellent session beer or a nice beer to drink all night. Drinking this beer is like eating green Jolly Ranchers with a kick.

maddogruss, Apr 10, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden body with a small, frothy white head.

Smell: Sweet-smelling aroma of green apples, baby!

Taste: The taste of artificially-flavored apple candy with an unrelenting sweetness. Juicy, cheek-pulling acidity. Puckering tart finish. Best cider I've had in awhile!

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Apple cider plus a cup of sugar. Some would say you have a recipe for disaster, but you really just have a recipe for Lindeman's Pomme.

ChainGangGuy, Apr 08, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

We just got this into town, figured I'd give it a shot as Lambics are great Sunday morning beers.

A: Poured a hazy golden color, similar to that of apple cider. A few bubbles here and there and some floaties. This is about as unfiltered as it gets. Tiny white head, quickly reduced to a film. Looks pretty tasty:

S: Smells a lot like sour apple candy, some yeasty smells as well.

T: Definite sour apple taste to go along with the smell, funky lambic sour taste at the end. Very sour, the apple smell overwhelms everything, I was hoping for a little more malt, flavor, and its there, just not very formidable. Some woody tastes as well.

M: Nicely carbonate, pretty smooth with a puckering effect, pretty sour beer. Nice dry finish though.

D: A little dryer than the other Lindeman's lambics. Pretty drinkable though, I'd like to pour back a few of these every Sunday morning. Solid beer, very solid.

pokesbeerdude, Apr 06, 2008
3.65/5  rDev 0%

A- Orange Amber body, cloudy and translucent. Head was white, way too thin and receded quickly, but left traces of sticky lacing.

S- Sour apples, candy, sugar and a tiny bit of hops. Smell is strongly reminiscent of an apple cider.

T- Taste is something of a cross between apple cider and a green apple jolly rancher candy. Sweet malts, hard candy, sugar, and sour apples with a puckering sourness. This is definitely an aquired taste brew.

M- Syrupy, thick and full bodied. It is difficult to ascertain any other texture notes beneath the sugary and sour flavor.

D- As stated above, this is definitley an aquired taste beer, especially for those not accustomed to the lambic style. The sourness is such that I cannot sip this one and keep a straight face, making this a slow sipper by necessity despite the relatively tame ABV.

Lothar666, Mar 10, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Not as good as the framboise but that is my personal taste. Appearance was very light with a light head that stayed the entire time. Smell was very upfront almost like apple pucker or a hard cider. Very heavy on the sour apple. It was good but was to sweet and to sour at the same time. Couldn't even think what to pair it with. Good but not good enough. D- was not as good due to the taste and sweetness.

slvrmon82, Feb 12, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -19.2%

Picked this bottle up in a Lindeman's gift set. I was a little leary to try this one as I had hear it tasted like an apple Jolly Racher. The beer poured a slightly cloudy golden yellow color with a slight off white head. The beer had a candy apple nose and a touch of earthiness to it as well. The was actually like an apple Jolly Rancher, very syrupy tasting that leaves a sugary taste on the tongue that is not overly pleasing. Worth a try but I don't think I would go back.

ggaughan, Jan 30, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

No freshness info.

a: Hazy gold, thin white head, little lacing.

s: Green Apple Jolly Ranchers. Sweet apples, slight sourness.

t: Like the smell, sweet granny smith apples, and moderate sourness. Good sweet and sour combo. Slightly dry finish. Average complexity.

m: Medium body, average carbonation.

d: Very sugary, limits drinkability. A decent lambic, nothing extraordinary, I would prefer a little more sourness.
Makes for a pretty good dessert beer.

BradLikesBrew, Jan 28, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -47.9%

Pours a cloudy gold with some white head that leaves a bit of lacing. Nose is, surprise, surprise - apple. To me it already reminds me of an apple Jolly Rancher. I give it a 3 because it reminds me too much of the candy and lacks maturity. Taste is nasty. Tastes like sour apple. Like that candy was melted and morphed into a drink. It gets more tolerable as times goes on, as is typical with Lindemans brew. But really. Eck. You might as well put this in a bottle and let your kid drink it as apple juice, if it weren't for the alcohol in it. No way am I going to be able to finish this bottle...or an inch more of what is in the glass. Horrid. The only thing I can think that would save this is a proper pairing with food.

RblWthACoz, Dec 30, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Pours a murky apple juice color with a modest head - drops to a ringlet right away but some of the splashes do stick

Smell: Ooh, but that aroma does smell like artificial apple flavoring; really sweet

Taste: Starts out moderately sweet, with some hints of sour and just builds from there; becoming sweeter as time passes

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Good for a few sips and then just becomes too cloying

brentk56, Dec 25, 2007

This is my third fav from lindemans. almost tastes like a hard apple ale. pours light yellow green. smells like apples that have been like mustified or something. not tart but more smooth and has a bit of a creamy funk to it. Its real good but it has a lot of pearish flavor to it as well. It has a great mouthfeel and is very drinkable. Not quite cider. not quite ale. in reality not quite lambic. this is not sour at all so those of you looking for a traditional lambic stay away. good brew though IMO.

AKBelgianBeast, Dec 21, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -7.4%

Shared a 375ml bottle with friends at the Steelgaarden.

Like the other Lindemans offerings, this one is plenty tasty, but off the charts in terms of its sweet cloying feel. We had a small bottle and I know I couldn't have finished the sucker. The flavor itself was nice, a similar, but more sophisticated flavor than a green apple Jolly Rancher - very candy-like. Not a bad beer and I'd recommend it to anyone that like sour apple.

tempest, Dec 10, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

I bought the Sam Adams Winter Sampler and didn't like the Cranberry Lambic. So I did more research on Lambics and decided to try some others, this being my first.

It's kind of an amber color, like apple juice. About a quarter inch of fizzy, light head that quickly dissolved.

The smell wasn't what I expected. In fact, at first I thought I had a bad bottle. Honestly, it smelled bad at first. I thought it was skunked.

When I tasted it, I was surprised. The smell had turned me off, and I was fully expecting to take a sip and dump the bottle, but it tasted very good! It tastes like cider.

Now that I have tasted it, I gave it another whiff. I don't know what I detected before, but it now smells apply and sour, much more pleasant this time around.

I didn't really know what to expect from this Lambic. After my initial smell, I thought I wasn't going to like it. But once I tasted it, I was pleasantly surprised. This isn't something I would drink on a regular basis, but it's something I would buy again. I think this would be great for a party or event where you were trying to bring something fun, light and different.

Definitely worth trying. Can't wait to venture into other Lambics!

Deus1138, Dec 08, 2007
4.93/5  rDev +35.1%

Pours a dark amber/blonde color with minimal head. Strong hints of apple in the nose with some sourness detected as well. Taste is tart and similar to apple cider. There's some sourness at the back of the throat but it's more like a mild pucker. It's damn irrestible and very easy to drink. You might not notice that it's a lambic at first. Excellent all-around.

Brad007, Dec 04, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

I had this first at Brewtopia in New York, NY, but I just had another one at Terresa's Next Door in Wayne, Pa.
Appearance: A pale and green cloudy body with tons of carbonation that produced a nice size head no retention and not much lacing. (It was in the "official" Lindemans glass.)
Smell: Very much like candy green apples, think Jolly Ranchers.
Taste: More of the same, but not so much candy but more Granny Smith, real apples. Not overpowering at all, just plain awsome.
Mouthfeel: Rather crisp.
Drinkabilty: Super.
Don't drink and review.

treehugger02010, Nov 11, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +9%

The beer from the 350ml caged and corked bottle pours a hazy deep gold color with a modest creamy white head, that fades away leaving the lace to seal the glass with a fine sheet. Nose has a terrific “Granny Smith Apple” sweet and sour aroma with a wet “gunny sack” musty tone, astringent, but likeable nonetheless. Start continues the sweet and sour astringency with the top light in its feel. Finish has a barbarous acidity, followed by the “green apple” sweet and sourness, face-puckering dryness, but it has everything I look for in a good Lambic.

Gusler, Nov 01, 2007