Lindemans Apple - Brouwerij Lindemans

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  3.50% ABV

Beer added by: Hammarby on 04-30-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Apple Alström Bros
3.97/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Fizzy, bubbly, some scattered lacing, hazy golden color.

S: Vanilla, honey, green apples (duh ..), not as much funk as their Cassis but it's there.

T: It took me a while to find the green apple flavor since I taste mostly vanilla & honey flavors. Kind of on the sweet side of that apple flavor instead of tart which I would have preferred.

M & D: Kind of syrupy, yet a good sipper. The sweetness gets kind of grating though. Very much like some good cider.

3.08/5  rDev -15.6%

Found this one in a regular supermarket in Degerfors, Örebro, Sweden. I just had to buy a few of it.

The bottle looks pretty nice! The color of the beer is hazy orange/yellow with a small white head.

Aroma is mostly sweet apples and a light maltiness. Pretty nice smell actually.

Tastes clean of apple and some artificial sweetener. Some malts lurk in the background.

I'm not a great fan of artificial sweeteners and I think it's just plain wrong to add it in a beer, what ever sort of beer. But I am keeping that out my mind while reweiving the beer.

All and all, highly drinkable and a good thirst quencher (though the artificial sweetener leaves a quite unpleasent dry feeling in your mouth).

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

I tried this but I gave it to my wife since she likes ciders. It was good and my wife seemed to really like it

appearance: hazy golden

smell: sharp apple

taste: deep apple flavor

mouthfeel: very high carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: very easy and smooth

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

All the fruits I've reviewed recently are from notes.

Bottle into my favorite Mason bicentennial jar.

A: Decent head that fades over a pale body pretty quickly.

S & T: Jolly ranchers apple flavored. Can't get around it. Maybe a hint of Granny's apple pie in there but the predominate nose and tastebud is green jolly rancher.

M: Not too bad.

D: Too strangely artificially flavored for me. Although i am sure they use real ingredients; they wind up with green jolly ranchers.

3.77/5  rDev +3.3%

750ml bottle, poured into snifters.

A = Cloudy golden yellow with small white head, light lacing.

S = Apple cider, baking spices, cinnamon, baking soda, powdered sugar. Very refreshing.

T = Strong sour taste of almost ripe apples, some sugary sweetness, but not enough to overpower the nice distinct sourness from the yeast.

M = Medium bodied, great mouthcoating.

D = I could drink this stuff at the drop of a hat, very good.

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

Similar looking to a carbonated apple juice, including the lack of head on this one.
Wonderful smelling. It's like holding a green apple blow pop up to your nose.
I expected Granny Smith apples in the flavor and instead got Green Apple Jolly Ranchers. Way to sweet and too much like candy for me.
The huge amount of sugar in this one makes the mouthfeel sticky and syrupy.
I did a lot of complaining in this review but overall it is an interesting beer but it's just not what I expected. I'm glad I tried it but I don't think I'd try it again.

4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

On-tap at Heroe's, on to the beer:

Apple beer for lunch? Let's see how this works....it looks like a witbier with a very faint yellow color and hazy body. this beer leaves very good lacing on the glass. I could type the words "green apple" and "green apple skins" over and over, but I'll use those terms just this this once. There's a lot of that flavor in this beer. The end of each sip turns tart and sour before it dries up. It's light in the mouth and semi-crisp with a just a kiss of alcohol.

I've found another Lindeman's offering I'd rather have then the widely available framboise (raspberry). Give this to a non-beer drinker and see how they'll react. Delicious!

3.67/5  rDev +0.5%

Finally found this when I moved to Seattle. Golden appearance with a decent head. Smell is nice. Almost of Granny Smith apples. It's got a sour taste. Just like the aforementioned Granny Smith. That's nice because it's never good when a brew is sweet. The mouthfeel is nice. A bit acidic but not over bearing. Drinkability is good. It goes well on a warm day.

I mentioned in another review that I was a bit disappointed by the ABV % in the Lindemans. I have found a nice trick to raise this in the Pomme. Get some apple schnopps that's about 20 proof and poor a shot in the glass then pour your Pomme. It makes the beer a tad sweeter but doesn't over do it. It's adds more alcohol as well as a bit more taste :-)

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

A- Pours out a pale orangy goldenrod. There's about a finger of whipped eggwhite head that leavs a few pocadots of lacing.

S- Good. The complexity of this one doesn't quite blow me away as the cherry lindemans did, but it's still there. There's a good amount of wine muskiness with strong yeast overtones. And then handfulls of fruit on top.

T- Fruity, of grannysmith green apples. There's also just a touch of butter, actually no I think that it's much closer to olive oil. The apple is dominant but this is still a delicious beer.

M- A tad too sweet and sour

D- I like it. I liked the cherry more as this one seems to be more imbalanced, but I still wouldn't mind having another.

3.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: Looks yellowish with some bubbles. Basically looks like some white wine. Someone else said dark apple juice..I can take that too.

Aroma: Green apples and not much else.

Taste: Sour, and tart. Tastes pretty good...but its basically sour apple with alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Its light, but I'm not sure its supposed to be anything else. The tartness does enough to make it an interesting drink

Drinkability: Bit too fruity for me. Still good though. Not your typical beer either. Maybe an after dinner beverage?

2.28/5  rDev -37.5%

A- Pours a yellowish gold color with a descent white head.

S- A pretty overpowering apple smell and that't about it.

T- Just like the nose, very sweet, and tons of apples.

M- Fizzy carbonation and light to medium in body.

D- Reminds me more of apple juice/cider than beer no thanks for me.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Tastes and smells like sour green apple candy. Not much more to say about it.. it is a sour tarty/fruity beer that is good for a change of pace or to suggest to those who do not like your typical malty hoppy beers. Drinkable in the sense it is not too strong, but too much of that fruity taste gets old kind of fast.

4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

Like most Lindemans Lambics, this is more like candy than beer.

A- Looks like a hazy, unfiltered apple juice

S- Smells sweet, but with a spike of sour apple, like a Jolly Rancher.

T- Taste is excellent, like a candy apple but even more sweet.

M- Moderate mouthfeel with a sticky quality

D- Drinks good, but too much sugar to pound back

4.19/5  rDev +14.8%

Amazing.

It smelled and tasted just like a sour apple airhead... the chewy, sugary candy. Wow, this beer had so much flavor. It was a mix between apple juice, apple cider, and some sparkling sweet flavors. I couldn't find the beer in this Lambic either. I could of had a couple bottles, the sweetness would have been something to deal with, but it was too good. I recommend to all, but wheres the 'beer'?

3.52/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a cloudy yellow-ish color with a white head. Aromas of green apple and cinnamon. In the taste, again green apple and cinnamon. A bitter, sweet and sour apple mouthfeel, with a dry green apple and spice aftertaste. Taste almost like apple cider, dryer than most Lindeman's, and not as sugary.

3.74/5  rDev +2.5%

I have had this beer numerous times since it was released, and I am just now getting around to reviewing it. Here we go:

Appearance: Pours a still clear orangish golden color with only a few bubbles there to make a head. It had a few bubbles rising, so it isn't COMPLETELY flat.

Aroma: The smell of tart green apples is unmistakable. There is also some other fruity aromatics in here, and I pick up pears in particular.

Taste: It hits your cheeks at first sip with the sour apple and attenuation. Once your palate gets used to it, you can actually pick up a bit of funk in this one. It has a slightly horsey flavor that may be an indication of age since it is so flat. The overall flavor is a bit watery with plenty of flavor. The mouthfeel is definitely lacking since the carbonation is so light. I am sure that other examples I have had were more carbonated.

Opinion: This is a pretty good beer, and actually one of my favorite in the Lindeman's fruit beer collection. It actually leaves a bit of the funk in rather than drowning it in syrup. This particular bottle must have a bit of age on it, but it doesn't taste bad at all. I would certainly drink this beer again, and recommend it...though the score from this review won't be the best because of this particular bottle.

3.08/5  rDev -15.6%

A bright golden beer with a thin head.

Smell of green apples on top of a sweet and artificial apple smell. No hops or malt in the smell.

Taste is sweet with a distinct apple juice taste. Body is sweet and sticky. This beer has been sweetened. There is absolutely no malt or hops to be tasted here. Even the expected tartness is not present. I understand that this is really great for people that don't like beer, but not for me. I will be mild in my judgement.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

355mL bottle purchased a month or so ago at Arbor Place Beverage, Douglasville GA

Aroma: Not very strong, mostly apple, overall the smell disappoints but it certainly isn't bad

Appearance: Cloudy golden body with a little bit of white head that dissipates without lacing too much

Taste: Lots of green apple flavor with a sour twist. I love apple juice and think of this as apple juice with some tartness and alcohol (or so says the bottle, you can't find it)

Feel: pretty light body with fair carbonation

Drinkability: easy, like an apple soda, I could drink this all day

A great drink for an apple lover like myself.

3.72/5  rDev +1.9%

Served in proper glass from the bottle.

A: Pours a cloudy golden body with almost no head. Tilt the glass sideways and the beer takes its time falling back down the side of the glass.

S: Apple! Wonderful fresh green apple. A hint of another citrus, but the apple is definitely prominent.

T: Granny Smith apple taste, slighty tart but mostly sweet. A 'green apple' Jolly Rancher in liquid form! Definitely leaves an apple taste behind though the aftertaste is not as sweet and slightly dry.

M: Smooth and thin, but great for this beer. Makes it easy to drink.

D: A very drinkable beer for me, which is surprising since I don't like Apple Juice or Apple Cider and typically don't like fruit flavored beers. Though I would probably not drink one right after another, during an evening when I was looking for a sweeter, lower alcohol beer, it would certainly be one of my picks.

The bottle says serving temp between 38 and 41 degrees and I agree. The colder temp brings out the best in this beer. And, as I mentioned before, if you love the green Jolly Ranchers, you will indeed love this beer!

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%

750 ml corked bottled poured into Kolsch tube glass.

A: Light yellow pour with a bright white bubbly foam. Lacing was pillowy and thick right to the end, cool whip like.

N: Apple flavored sweet tarts. They arent kidding around with the apple aroma. Sweet apples, similar to a jolly rancher.

T: I notice a theme, here- strong apple taste. Not fake tasting but just granny smith apples like biting into a good NY upstate apple. If anything, a bit too sweet but I knew what I was getting into. Would have liked some mart tart flavors to balance it out, this should be reduced and put on some blueberry pancakes.

M: Extremely light and sweetness leaves you a bit puckered.

D: Perhaps a bit too sweet and not tart enough to really be a lambic. But for what it is, pretty tasty on a hot day.

2.9/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours into my 25cl tulip glass with an initial finger-and-a-half thick, pale, off-white colored head. The beer is incredibly hazy and in fact showed no sign of ever clearing despite resting in my cellar for the last month. It is an opaque, orange tinged, gold color. Sticky, sweet, apple-candy aromas (very similar to jolly ranchers) are noticeable as soon as I pull the cork and are only more affirmed once I actually try and smell the beer. There are no subtle nuances here, the aroma is completely dominated by sweet apple notes.

As expected the taste is quite similar; it tastes like a apple candy, very unlike apples or cider, but instead more like concentrated, sweetened syrup for your breakfast pancakes. This is quite easy drinking, with a bit of fullness to it, though perhaps not quite as much as the sweetness might suggest. There is a touch of tartness in the flavor, but it gets wrapped up in the sweet apple notes it is hard to perceive, but I think this is all that is noticeable of any real Lambic flavors.

Not much to say about this, if you like sweet then this works as a desert, it certainly is not beer, but I wouldn't say that it is offensive; the most offensive thing about it is that the word Lambic is on the label.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- poured a cloudy light golden color with a light white foam on top that faded quickly

S- straight apples, no trace of hops and a very light malt charachter, very strong grannysmith apple charachter

T- has a very intense apple charachter that is about as varied as apple can get, again all grannysmith apple flavor]. a little too sweet giving it a jolly rancher type charachter but nontheless still pretty good.

M- very light, high carbonation, the sweetness lingers on the tongue

D- pretty good, little too sweet for alot of it

4.32/5  rDev +18.4%

This pours into my tall, stemmed Lindemans stange glass, barely building any head at all. Hmmm, it is a slightly hazy gold, naturally reminiscent of apple juice. Where are those legs coming from?

A chorus of granny smith apples, cherries, mixed berry, and undertones of yeast.

Lip puckering sweet, and tart with dry tones in the finish. Quite odd indeed. There is some mustiness in counter balance to the baked apples, and then there is a touch of cherry in the finish.

Light, smooth and syrupy. Ah ha, that's where the legs come from. Those yeast bugs left bushels of sugar in the cask.

Great for desert, but let's not forget breakfast. Leave the mimosa for someone else, this would pair well with an omelet, or French toast. Have at it!!

4.17/5  rDev +14.2%

11.2 oz green capped and corked! bottle > flute glass.

Pours out with an active, thin green color with a massive 2" high crown that is dense and very fluffy with very slow dissipation and ultra-sticky lacing. Very clumpy.

The aroma is spicey, sour-green apples with cream. slight herbs and spices. The aroma is noticed the second the cork is popped.

The flavor is of sweet green candy apples, the "sweet zone" is directly hit on the first sip but quickly and delicately changes to a tart and sour wild-yeast taste. Think: Green apple jolly rancher with sweet tarts.

This stuff is light, champagne-like airiness, but very smooth and creamy due to the very robust and fluffy head.

Very low alcohol makes this easy to drink and it makes a fine desert-style beer.

4.05/5  rDev +11%

Poured a bottle of this into a glass mug.

A: Pours a nice, cloudy, golden body with a small white head with low retention and minimal lacing along the top of the beer and along the sides of the glass.

S: A nice, sweet, granny smith apple smell with sour undertones. Sour undertones are evident, but nothing too overbearing.

T: A nice, sweet apple taste with a dry, slightly sour finish. Excellent beer; reminds me of a green Jolly Rancher with a dry, slightly sour finish.

M: A little on the thin side, but still smooth overall.

D: A very drinkable beer overall. A great mix of sweet and sour tastes. Nice, smooth mouthfeel makes it an excellent session beer or a nice beer to drink all night. Drinking this beer is like eating green Jolly Ranchers with a kick.

Lindemans Apple from Brouwerij Lindemans