Lindemans Apple - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans AppleLindemans Apple

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  3.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Hammarby on 04-30-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Apple Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Lindemans Pomme Lambic
750 ML green bottle
Served in a Duck Walk vineyards champagne flute

Pours a hazy and cloudy mustard yellow. Fluffy head on top that leaves magnificant trail patterns of sticky lace all over the flute glass.

The aroma is so intense with ripe apples coming to the forefront. Reminds me of a the first whiff when you take a bite from a Granny Smith apple.

Super juicy and sweet mouthfeel with a highly carbonated punch. Granny Smith apple tartness. The lambic yeast funk hides underneath the fruity bombs. Apple cider acid blends with enjoyable sour flavors. The flavors are nice, but just a little superficial overall. I'm not sure if this truly a lambic, but it's so good.

This lambic is just way too drinkable. It's incredibly refreshing and crisp.

Hibernator, Aug 06, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured gingerly it forms a tight and whispy white head that retains and never fades in the slightest bit throughout. Golden in color w/ lots of hyped up carbonation racing to the surface.

Obviously green apple is the core flavor here. Whats nice about this brew is that the tartness is rather balanced out somewhat by the ripe green apple. Those green jolly ranchers come to mind with each drink, tart up front and sweet as it goes on. Refreshing and crisp this is really well put together.

Notes: Certainly not one of my favorite styles as I tend to gravitate towards more traditional lambic styles and other spontaneous fermented products like Guezes, and Biere de Garde but, and a big BUT, this is a well brewed beer and I can appreciate the quality presented here.

DogFood11, Aug 05, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

ok,i love apple anything, so im gonne like this no matter what. this pours out a nice sunset color. looks welcoming. smells like a big fat green apple. granny smith style. taste? oh man, your either gonna love it or hate it. i love it. its like a liquid green apple jolly rancher. sour and a bit puckering, apple all over. oh my. lively carbonation. its like a candy for the beer drinker. one is easily enough and it takes care of my sweet tooth perfectly. my new favorite offering from lindemans.

DESTRO, Aug 05, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +21.4%

This is absolutely wonderful!! This may, in fact, replace the framboise as my favourite offering from lindemans. Poured a cloudy golden orange with a thick soapy foamy head. Tons of carbonation bubbles both streaming upward and clinging to the sides of the glass. I'm typically not a big fan of carbonation of this level in my beer, but for this style, the more the better, I say. The smell is almost candy like. Sweet green apple is about all you're going to get from this one. The taste is quite sweet with tart green apple dominating. Nearly un-noticeable level of malt at the very end. You really have to be searching for it. Mouthfeel is very pleasant with a nice moderate carbonation sting to it. I almost wouldn't even consider this beer; mildly alcoholic apple soda is more like it. Nevertheless, I completely enjoyed it and will certainly buy this one again.

SilentSabre, Jul 30, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

12 oz bottle, 9 oz sample. This brew pours a deep straw color with a web-like foam over top. This one is modestly hazy, with no carbonation apparent. This one reminds me a lot of apple juice in the way it looks. The aroma from this one is definately unmistakable apple. It is somewhere between a nice apple cider and the apple jolly rancher candies; slightly real, but somewhat artifically sweet. At least you can't say it lives up the the promise of apple. The flavor is not as sweet as expected. It is definately focused on the sweetness of the apple, but as I swallow the beer, I get just a hint of funkyness and sour, more than I have in any other Lindeman's product. Aftertaste is slightly wheaty. Mouthfeel is on the light side of moderate, with a very light carbonation just working its way out of sulution as it hits my tongue. I enjoy the light zing of sour and tartness, if from either the apple or the beasties used for fermentation, as it lends distant thoughts of other lambics that I enjoy more. Overall, this one is tasty and very easy to drink. It is over done on the sweetness, but it also has very faint wispers of what it could be, so that makes me happy.

kmpitz2, Jul 25, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at the Falling Rock. I'm a little prejudiced as I really enjoy apple flavor. My favorite beer to date is the Andechs Apfelweiss, and the New Glarus Apple Ale was also a fave before it was retired.
Comes a pale yellow color. Reminds me of a really carbonated Hefe. While filtered and not cloudy, it has a hazy shade.
Smell is of sour apple. Sour in the vein of a granny smith.
The flavor is all apple. Unlike the other Lindeman items where there's a sour grassy lambic flavor to the beer, the apple taste is a bit too strong. The only thing is, it doesn't smell or taste like real apple. It actually tastes like a jolly rancher style of apple flavoring. It's not bad and it's a nice quencher, but it's not for everyone. I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as I'd have hoped. It's not as sweet and sticky as an alcho-pop, but it needs more "beer" flavor. It does have the lambic tartness and a little spicyness in there, too, but the apple flavor's just a bit too much for it. I like apple flavor so my rating is likely inflated as a result...but as a beer, it's above average, but not as good as it could be.
Mouthfeel's thin and crisp. Goes down easy. Alcohol's not there at all, so it's a nice warm weather beer or after work brew.
Drinkability could be a potential weak point. I like the flavor, but it's too sweet and too pricy to really make a session of it, even if you do like apple flavor.
This isn't a bad brew, but it was a let down for me as the apple flavoring tastes more like candy than a fruit. With that said, there are still so few apple brews that I have to recommend it. I'd also be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it, too!

Domingo, Jul 24, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a hazy apricot body with a small offwhite head. Attractive lacing drapes the goblet in sheets. Aroma is greenapple bubblegum and apple cider. A hint of spices. Mouthfeel is light medium with soft carbonation. Taste is greenapple bubblegum and apple cider. A touch of wild yeast acidity. Slight mustiness, befitting a lambic. A hint of spiciness that seems to be cloves. A decent fruit lambic, but not my favorite even from this brewery.

merlin48, Jul 23, 2006
3.65/5  rDev 0%

On Tap at Maduro.

Appearance: Slightly cloudy pale wheat color with a white head that dissolves to a thin lacing.

Aroma: The apple portion of the tootsie roll brand Caramel Apple Pop.

Taste: Dido.

Mouthfeel: Artificial candy tartness well blended with full fruit candied sweetness. Extremely light bodied.

Drinkability: Surprisingly decent despite the completely artificial aroma, flavor, and MF.

Great for the ladies but not for me. Nearly identical to a Demi Pomme made with Kronenbourg and Sour Apple Syrup.

DaPeculierDane, Jul 21, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Pomme. It's a good thing. The best thing about this beer is the aroma. Like the other Lindemans offerings it's like smelling a big bowl of fresh (apples, raspberries, cherries, peaches). The aroma makes my mouth water. I definitely like the green apple characteristics of this beer. The sour flavor matches very nicely with the sourness of the Lambic base. For my money this is the least sugary sweet of the Lindeman's fruit beers. Worth seeking it out.

tozerm, Jul 20, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

AKA "Lindemans Apple".

The liquid is cloudy; the colour is beige-yellow (much like unfiltered apple juice). The small head disappears quickly into a thin white ring.

The smell is a blend of fine matured sweet winter apples and the special flavour of lambic; sour, earthy notes of mouldering leaves and vinegar. Very nice.

The taste is as balanced and could be described as the smell: Delicious green apples and a (quite mild) lambic ale. The aftertaste got sweet notes of apple kernels and an earthy sour note. A bit like a good cider, but at the same time not at all like it.

The carbonation is, as it should, very strong with lots and lots of small bubbles.

I really like this one: Extremly refreshing, yet quite complex.

bark, Jul 20, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +17.3%

Wow...I've had all of the other Lindemans products available in my area (peach, cherry, raspberry), and this topped them. Really enjoyable, if a tad sweet.

Fantastic sour apple flavor, enhancing the natural open-fermentation sourness of the lambic style.

THe only disappointment is the price...I paid almost $7 for a 12oz bottle. But if money is no object, or if you're a big fan of the style, definitely give it a try.

BlackAngus, Jul 17, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

07/11/06- Purchased at Bevmo in Mountain View, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, caped and corked. No freshness info found. It's a new release though, so I assume it's fairly fresh. Poured into my Lindemans flute.

Appearance- Nucelar glowing golden orange in color. 1/2 inch head with light streaks of lace left behind.

Smell- Smells, like apples....sour now and later apples, sour jolly rancher apples, sour blow pop apples and johnny appleseed. So, I'm assuming there is a bit of sugar in this one.

Taste- Yep, I'm glad I shared this bottle with a friend on my new beer Tuesday. Super sugary and thick apple flavor. Kind of like a cider, but with the candied flavor as well. There is another flavor as well, but I'll be damned if I can think what it was. Apple and more apple here.

Mouthfeel- Still tasting this stuff the next morning. Huge sugary mouth coating with a medium carbonation level.

Drinkability- Because of it's sugar content and extreme sweetness, I found this really hard to finish 12 oz or so. There is no way I would have been able to consume the whole bottle. No very highly drinkable, but could work as an afterdinner drink to share at a party with a dessert or something. About 6oz is enough for me.

GClarkage, Jul 12, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

Cloudy pale yellow, very cloudy, with an enormous off white head, frothy as froth can be and leaving thick, fat lacing down the glass. Excellent lace retention.

As should be this one screams sour green apple. Right in your face. Almost smells like a jolly rancher. With some slight wheaty, yeast hints.

Very one dimensional with the thick flavors of sour green apple but you can't expect this to be a big, complex lambic. Very sweet, yet refreshing. The one problem is a lack of carbonation, and a little light on acidity. Those two components really hurt the mouthfeel. The sweetness makes this one difficult to drink many but a good refresher.

mcallister, Jul 02, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

The beer pours a cloudy pale gold color with a 1/2" white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is great! I'm a huge green apple fan and this really hits the spot. It's intense and refreshing; very nice. The taste is good. It has a nice green apple flavor that is mildly tart and full of fruit flavor. It goes down like candy and really satisfies. This is one delicious beer. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is another great offering from this brewery. I'm not a fan of the less fruit, more sour lambics. This one is highly drinkable and very enjoyable.

WesWes, Jun 30, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

No best by date. 12 oz. bottle.

Appearance:

Pours a slightly hazy straw color with half an inch of tight white head that is supplied by vigorous carbonation.

Aroma:

Apple jolly rancher essence. Intensely sweet with tart malic acid present.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Tart ripe granny smith jolly rancher flavor with some syrupy sweet overtones finishing tart/bitter.

A real thirst quencher, reminiscent of a very good hard cider.

cbl2, Jun 25, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

355ml bottle

A: Pours a slightly hazy light golden with a one-finger frothy head. Tons of lacing.

S: Aromas of candi sugar and caramel apples

T: Tart and zangy with the flavor of granny smith apples. Any more apple flavor would be too much here.

M: Dry and puckering with a medium-light body. The carbonation is active, but not obnoxious like some Belgians.

D: This obviously isn't an everyday beer or one to drink in large quantities, but I find it to be very enjoyable and definitely one that could be enjoyed by those who are uninitiated to the world of fine beer.

klewis, Jun 24, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

This is an 8 oz. serving of Pomme, poured into a nice Lindemans glass at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD.

Appearance: The ale is a bright golden color. It is crystal clear with no signs of sediment. There is little head.

Smell: Sour Apple Jolly Rancher. Those 4 words do it justice, but you have to admit it is intriguing.

Taste: See above. The sour green apple flavor jumps out at you with a vengence. The flavor is not too acidic, just sour enough to make you appreciate it.

Mouthfeel: The sourness strains the taste buds at times...

Drinkability: My first taste of this new offering and I am curious. I wanna try a bottle and see how the delicate flavors hold up in a bottle.

akorsak, Jun 15, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -7.4%

After a lot of fanfare after the release of this new Lindemans offering some months ago, it finally arrived at my local last week. $5.49 for a 375 ml bottle at LaBodega in Riverside, CA. My wife likes the previous offerings, and so I was excited to get it so she could try it out.

Pours a slightly cloudy pale yellow with lots of steady carbonation that lasts a long time.

Aroma is of Granny Smith apples and the familiar Lindemans pungency- a mix of sweet and sour at the soame time that makes these beers so popular. Flavor is, to me, actually one of the best. I liek the tarter fruits in this series, with the Cassis being my favorite- well, the tart apples work well here too. These have a lot of inherent sweetness, and this offsets that a bit. But it's still too sweet.

Mouthfeel is creamy and nice. But I can't drink too much- the cloying sweetness overpowers me after a half-bottle.

Dukeofearl, Jun 13, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

Yellowish color, a little dull in luster. Thin flat-lying head in a chalice. Laces are thin with scant minimal strings. Highly sweetened but distinct apple aromas, lives in a candy-ish sour ball realm. Light and carbonated mouthfeel. Certainly puts some apple into the Pomme appelation as far as the flavor profile, not as earthy as it should be, but definitely more defined than you find in something like Unibroue Ephemere. Nevertheless, it seems a little bit plastic and on the artificial side, at the same time that its "busting out all over". Interesting slide into a chalky almost oaky wrap-up. Can't say that its really a beer that meets a lot of things I look for in the many styles that are available in the world today.

ADR, Jun 03, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -10.1%

smaller size. in a lindemans glass.

appears rather lambicy, yellowish with some darker highlights.. lots of fizz inside and a champagne head full of airy bubbles. aroma is extremely strong.. smellable from two feet away. green apple essence of candy and other artificial products. get specific? green apple jolly ranchers and/or blow pops. appeals to my 'lover of sour candy' side, but really makes me think twice about actually drinking it.

once i do, well, i taste artificial candy green apple tartness. what i am amazed by is the finish, which allows some muted funky lambic character to shine. makes me sad that this might have started as a decent beer, and been further polluted by these abrasively chipper sour syrups and whatnot. strangely, i keep drinking it.. and with each sip, i marvel at the contrast between the initial fruit barrage and the finishing woody funk. a complex beer? yes. overall? completely mindboggling.

worth a try in the way that it is different from such fruit-overpowering products like the framboise and the peche, but still cannot hold a candle to the cuvee rene... or even the gueuze. $5 wasted and this beer sampled.. i don't feel like a total ass, but my money could have been spent more wisely.

goodbyeohio, May 30, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

Small bottle, foil, cap and a small cork, no freshness/bottling indication. Pours cloudy light tangerinem with a near white fine, slight head and leaving slithery, stringy lacing, nose of sugary apples. this a quite sweet, sugary brew, undernotes of slight sourness. Dessert beer or perhaps with a salad. Sweetness takes away from complexity.

Billolick, May 29, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

This is an odd one. It tastes and smells artificial, like green apple candy. There's some lambic character beneath, but the apple flavor dominates. I can't imagine it's real, and that's hard to say as it comes from Lindemans. Hmmmm... I guess I'd have to say I'm disappointed. It's way too sweet and artificial tasting to me. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I wouldn't have more than one, and I don't think I'll ever bother with it again.

NeroFiddled, May 27, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

This seemed like a good midday nice weather sipper so that's what I did. Pours a light golden with a modest fizzy head. Some lacing rings but not too much. Aroma is strong on the apples. There's a tart acidic element in there but its more sweet and sugary than anything else. I'm getting a small bit of brett or something similar in the backdrop. Taste is dominated by apples. A strong granny smith flavor ensues. There's not really a whole lot else going on. A definite sweetness arises but the tartness of the granny smith flavor with the sugar sweetness seem to work off each other quite well imo. I like the acidity and dryness in the finish. This is refreshing. Very cidery but that's probably expected. I might not be able to drink too many of these or really want another for awhile but I enjoyed this bottle.

granger10, May 24, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

My second Lambic. Pours out to a mildly hazed golden yellow color with a small head of white foam. No lace. A medium high level of carbonation. Aromas of apples, sweet malt, sour fruits and some floral notes meet the nose well. Taste is near exceptional; full fruit flavors of apples, lots of sweet candied sugar, yet the sourness factor arises and changes the focus of the palate to the more subtle notes of mild malt and grass. Mouthfeel is smooth and zesty, very refreshing. Drinkability is good. This is a great alternative to many fruity wines and has really opened my mind to the Lambic style of beer. Recommended.

Frozensoul327, May 21, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I chilled this in the fridge for half an hour and served in one of my New Belgium snifters.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden-orange with a white foamy half-inch head that recedes to a persistent thin layer with nice lacing.

Smell: Very strong candy-like sour apple aroma, that overpowers everything else.

Taste: As with the smell the palate is dominated by a candy-like sour apple flavor. There's a faint hint of wheat in the finish, but it's mostly sweet.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and full-bodied with mild carbonation and a slight dryness in the finish.

Drinkability: The sweetness of this beer is too much for me.

Overall: Given that this is a Lindeman's fruit lambic I expected it to be on the sweet side, but this was too much. I definitely prefer Lindeman's other fruit lambics to this. It's like drinking a sour apple Jolly Rancher.

EPICAC, May 17, 2006