2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lindemans Framboise - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lindemans FramboiseLindemans Framboise

good

Ratings: 1913

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  2.50% ABV

2.5-4.0% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-01-2000)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Framboise Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,913 | Reviews: 934 | Show All Ratings:
JoshuaB

1.08/5  rDev -72.1%

Hated this beer and I'm utterly confused about the raves for it - it had exactly the appearance, taste, smell, and mouthfeel of cherry Sprite to me, and nearly the same alcohol content. It was overly carbonated, despite nearly no head, tasted like artificial fruit flavoring, and cost $9 for 12oz. Tasted nothing like I was expecting from previous experience with lambics, because I didn't realize "Framboise" meant "Raspberry," or I would have skipped it. Total waste of money, easily the worst beer I've had yet.

11-26-2012 13:04:42 | More by JoshuaB
Oxymoron

Colorado

1.73/5  rDev -55.3%

I feel like a freshman in college again. Pours a mostly cloudy dark ruby red color. A very pinkish red head that was a bit fizzy. Decent retention though did not last through the tasting and no lace to speak of.

The nose is sweet with an almost imitational raspberry smell to it. More along the lines of a wine cooler than anything else. The raspberries dominate any malt or yeast aroma. Some minor vinegar notes but very limited and one dimensional overall.

The taste is very wine cooler-esk as well. Very sweet up front that just lingers into the finish. A big under attenuation note for sure. The raspberries comes out but does blend with a imitational furity note. Some minor malty notes but limited and really cant pick out anything minus the fruit. Some sour notes more along the acidic side but limited. Looking for more for a lambic.

The body is sweet, way to sweet. Looking for a much drier body.

I understand that this is a very low gravity beer and emphasizes the fruit aspect, but overall this is note enjoyable at all. Way too sweet, fake fruit notes, and limited beer notes makes this a drain pour.

06-19-2009 20:31:58 | More by Oxymoron
brystmar

2.08/5  rDev -46.3%

Someone brought this bottle over awhile back, finally decided to bite the bullet and pop it. Initial aroma makes me instantly question my decision.

Dark red body yields tons of white head. Great retention; sticky lace. Honestly gorgeous for a lambic.

Unfortunately there are more qualities to this beer than appearance. And my god is that smell offensive. Strong aroma of fruit extract blended with cherry & raspberry cough syrup. Abhorrent.

Taste is much better, but still not good. Way overly sweet; tastes like a liquified Jolly Rancher. Sugary, fake fruits dominate. Please god, make it end.

The sad truth is that this is what most people think of when mention the word Lambic. My usual response is this: "Lindemans is to Lambics as Chef Boyardee is to Italian Food." I stand by this assertion.

04-17-2012 02:17:26 | More by brystmar
emerge077

2.13/5  rDev -45%

Poured into a champagne flute, no pop from the cork or fizz in the glass. Attractive pink foam and rose body, but the foam rapidly fades to a ring. Some spotty bits of lace here and there.

Sugary sweet raspberry candy in the nose.

Flavor is similarly cloying and overwhelmingly sweet. One note flavor of raspberry hard candy. Very light tannic tea leaf note when it warms up. Dull and fizzy feel, with a lingering sticky sweetness on the lips from the 25% raspberry juice and added sweeteners. Nothing even approaching tartness or resembling traditional lambic, this is simply sugary sweet liquid candy. Can't stomach much of this on it's own. Used this for an ice cream float, also recommended as a cocktail mixer.

For a traditional lambic, try Cantillon, Hanssens, Drie Fontienen, etc. A good beginner lambic is Boon, Oud Beersel, or Cuvee Rene. Lindemans uses artificial sweetener Acesulfame K (it's required to be listed on the european label, but not the US import label) rendering their base "lambic" more of a kiddie wine cooler than traditional lambic. This is simply a marketing tactic to appeal to a wider audience.

10-19-2010 00:17:21 | More by emerge077
nrbw23

2.17/5  rDev -43.9%

A- Pours a red color with a reddish white colored head. Kind of neat looking but reminds me more of a wine cooler than a beer.

S- Ok raspberries and tons of them. Nothing else but raspberries.

T- Raspberries again and finishes just a bit sour.

M- Light to medium in body and ok carbonation.

D- No thanks for me. Reminds me more of a wine cooler than a beer. I'll pass next time for sure.

09-21-2008 00:06:55 | More by nrbw23
SubpoenaDeuces

2.25/5  rDev -41.9%

Framboise lambic lindemans

A: There is a deep ruby red purple color with a fuchsia head with no lacing, it just sits there, nonplussed.

S: There is a huge raspberry and skittles nose with juicy berries and roses. Far more juice and sweetness than maltiness and beer. This seems to be a flaw as the nose is just sweet with nothing else to offer.

T: There is a huge juicy presence with no alcohol waft just complete wine profile with no oak just juicy juice that is kinda cloying after a bit. I wonder if this would be better as a cuvee or maybe just not ordered at all. It is difficult to say.

M The mouthfeel is thin with no hops, the only thing that I notice is a sticky coating with weak tannins. This is that birthday party for beer elements where if a real beer showed up, it would feel all awkward because 11 year old dudes were playing Mall Madness.

D The profile is not meant for long sessions. Even my 12oz romp was enough for me. This “beer” was weak and far too sweet. I know I am supposed to judge on style but this is just nonsense, don’t drink this. Go drink a cup of juice and save your liver the paperwork.

Narrative: Eliza’s 6th grade science project seemed to be going to well. She had an impeccable tristand board with exhibits and visuals and graphs. The hypothesis seemed well ordered and- what the, “WHAT ARE THE EFFECTS OF PINOT NOIR ON AN 11 YEAR OLD?” Ok, that is when things maybe took a downtown. Eliza showed up visibly drunk, not unlike a Portugese schoolgirl. Her teeth were stained blackberry purple and she kept leaning on the judges, physically not figuratively. While her study was technically sound, her parents shook their heads in disbelief when she began crying and attempting to go through her phone. Notwithstanding, she confirmed that Pinot Grigio made girls of all ages and dispositions emotional wrecks. She took second place to a Vietnamese child whose water acidity exhibit was clearly put together by his parents. Also, they were not drunk.

07-08-2011 08:32:45 | More by SubpoenaDeuces
champ103

2.35/5  rDev -39.3%

I was at a bar and in the mood for some Belgian beer. No Chimay or Duvel, but oddly enough, they had this in a 335 ml bottle. So I gave it a try. The bar tender and everyone around looked at me funny. Anyway, on to the beer.
A: Red/purple and not much head. I don't know how else to describe it.
S: Fruity and very sweet, specifically raspberries.
T: Raspberries and lots of carbonation. Tasted like sparkling wine or raspberry soda. Did not like it at all.
D: The sweetness and carbonation made this very hard to drink.

I hope most lambics are not like this. I did not notice any real redeeming qualities. I don't like overly sweet and highly carbonated beers, so take this with a grain of salt. I really don't mean to be so harsh in my review, but I was disappointed.

10-24-2007 02:59:24 | More by champ103
Orangevango

South Carolina

2.35/5  rDev -39.3%

This is not a Lambic, and it Pains me to see people shying away from lambic based only on this beer (or other lindeman lambics)

Thus, I am rating this to style. I do enjoy this beer, but I do not enjoy it as a lambic.

A: When poured, this beer produces a gorgeous ruby red body and a fluffy pink head. Beautiful.

S: raspberries, none of the funk or acidity that a lambic should have, raspberries are nice though.

T: SWEEET! Wow this is not how a lambic is supposed to be, it isn't tart, dry, funky... It bears no resemblance to the flavor of a traditionally crafted framboise. It is tasty, like raspberry jam, but way off style.

M: The carbonation is suitably high, but the acidic dryness is not there. A bit on the syrupy side too.

D: way too sweet, makes it difficult for me to drink much of this beer.

09-10-2009 23:04:17 | More by Orangevango
Kudashov

2.38/5  rDev -38.5%

This is my first ever review . I am a believer of "read more , post less " but here it goes .

I have no idea where it was purchased for all I know it could be a re-gift .

Poured in a Guinness pint glass

Appearance - Ruby red , looks real nice and inviting . Head foamed up to look like Strawberry Marshmallow Fluff .

Smell - Fruity , tart , not over the top .

Taste - here is where it loses me . I like trying out different types but this is too fruity , too sweet . I'm sweet enough thank you .
Reminds me of Rosa Regale .

Mouthfeel - ok . still am not a fan of the frizzy fruitness .

well there is number one .

My addiction has begun

Cheers

01-19-2007 02:40:13 | More by Kudashov
HopHead84

2.4/5  rDev -38%

7/9/2011

My sister ordered this at The Barrel Room today on her birthday before she heads out of state for law school so I helped myself to a small pour. Thanks!

A: A very attractive light crimson with a light pink head. Looks nice.

S: Raspberries, sweet malt, and sugar but not much else. It smells really sweet.

T: Tastes like sugary raspberry juice. Far too sweet. Maybe a hint of tartness, maybe not. Blah.

M: Lower medium body with lower high carbonation. Mouthfeel is sticky and syrupy.

Overall: A far too sweet raspberry juice masquerading as a beer. All the women at the table loved it, and I loved them for loving it and held my tongue. This is a great beer for someone who doesn't like beer but enjoys sugary raspberry drinks, and I think most
people enjoy such drinks to some extent. Judged as a beer, it's a bit ridiculous.

07-10-2011 12:10:22 | More by HopHead84
markaberrant

Saskatchewan (Canada)

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

A - murky, blood red. A decent red-tinged white head formed, but dropped quickly to a still respectable cap.

S - overpowering aroma of fresh raspberries. Doesn't come off necessarily as artificial, but there is absolutely no other aromas to make you think this might actually be a beer (or lambic).

T - awash with sweet raspberry flavour. Identical to that goop you can buy at the grocery store in the frozen fruit section "frozen raspberries in syrup." Raspberries have some natural tartness, but aside from that, there is little else to balance the sweetness.

M - There is a bit of body, but still light. Medium carbonation. Not a trace of noticable alcohol.

D - I'm gonna try to pawn the rest of this off on my wife.

I could see this appealing to someone that doesn't like beer, otherwise pass.

04-05-2008 02:57:55 | More by markaberrant
bruachan

District of Columbia

2.55/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

served in a heavy green bottle at the coventry winking lizard

gross. why does everyone like this? i mean...yeah, i like raspberries but that's a little much. it smells like a jar of smucker's (got any peanut butter?)

the beer's only saving grace, really, is the sourness. without it the brew would be totally undrinkable, as it's already disgustingly sweet. little to no malt or hop presence

my first lambic and i suppose it's not the best example, but i don't get it (maybe someday i will)

02-14-2006 16:31:06 | More by bruachan
hooliganlife

Missouri

2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

pour was deep purple with hints of cherry red. lots of head in the pour but when i got it, it was light.

raspberry up front, quite strong. very sweet

sugar bomb, raspberry syrup, more sugar, and a very light tartness. i struggled to find something else but the sugar and syrup were so overpowering. the sour flavor was slightly there so a hint of wildness existed somewhere.

decent carbonation, fairly full body, smooth drinking.

i will never drink this again, i never finished my snifter. it was too sweet and gave me a sugar headache. it was too overpowering where the other flavors seemed to be washed out.

01-16-2010 03:30:49 | More by hooliganlife
RickS95

Indiana

2.6/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a rich burgundy with gentle hints of brown. The head looks like champagne, with small fizzy bubbles, but they're pink. Almost doesn't look like a beer.

Smells like raspberries. End of story.

Tastes like sour berries. Sweet early on, then extremely sour/tart, enough that my mouth puckered on almost every sip.

It's hard to keep in your mouth for very long due to the tartness. There are times when it's sweet, but the sourness always takes over immediately.

Not a very good fruit beer, just too sour for me. Apparently, I don't like lambics.

06-13-2011 18:10:23 | More by RickS95
jackndan

2.63/5  rDev -32%

Cool cap/cork combination. Pours like sparkling wine, with the same head. To me, at first this tastes like carbonated raspberry cough syrup. As it warms up, and I get used to it, its better. Its aroma is deep, very earthy, raspberry, that carries through to its taste. Absolutely not to my taste, but I think that's me and not the beer, and I've tweaked the numbers accordingly.

04-05-2002 19:52:14 | More by jackndan
wcudwight

2.65/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a deep burgandy, with small light pink head that does not hang around. Lot's of carbonation visible. Glass is nicely laced.
Smell is raspberries. Not sweet and fresh ones though.
Initial taste is of raspberries, that leads to some serious bitterness. Not good hop bitterness though. Bitterness that makes your lips pucker.
Mouthfeel is too carbonated.
Not a very drinkable beer due to bitterness and carbonation.
This is my first lambic and I didn't like it. Maybe it's a taste that I haven't acquired yet. I didn't dislike it enough not to try it again in the future though. For now I will leave this beer to the females.

10-21-2005 20:19:56 | More by wcudwight
cjhofelt

Washington

2.65/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I shared a borrle of this with a friend of mine at a christmas party last night and took a few notes..

This is a nice looking beer if you can get past the color. it's somewhere between maroon and purple. A big fluffy pinkish head that stayed and laced the glass nicely.

The berry aroma was overpowering. It was like smelling a berry soda pop.

This didn't taste like any lambic I'd ever had (not that I've had that many) The rasberry flavor was over the top. It really was like a soda pop. There seemes like the tiniest bit of the musty lambic notes I was hoping to find, but I may have been imagining them. The flavor reminded me of Andre Cold Duck more than anything else.

The mouthfeel was pretty decent. A very dry and light body.

I probably won't drink this again. Too much of a wine cooler, not enough of a beer.

12-24-2006 15:33:36 | More by cjhofelt
kbub6f

2.68/5  rDev -30.7%

The head is a sick, strawberry ice cream color. It's thick and foamy. The beer is a hazy, dark, rosy red. Lacing is filmy, thin but sticky with weirdly shaped sheets. The aroma is far too sweet: sugary raspberry syrup all but completely masks a little barnyard funk. Front is syrupy sweet raspberries and flowers. A little green apple, maybe. Raspberry syrup again dominates the middle; some melons poke through. Feel is full and spritzy. Finish is a little tart, but is again overpowered by sugary raspberries. This is just kind of gross. I have a slight sweetness intolerance to begin with, so this just hurts. Definitely the weakest of the Lindemans in my book.

02-24-2005 21:20:35 | More by kbub6f
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

2.73/5  rDev -29.5%

Aromas of plastic, raspberries, woody hints and earth make up the nose. Once again, this is a pinky red colored beer, in which an insane amount of residual sweetness resides and hunts your wildest unbeery fantasies. Strong overwhelming raspberries, balance is inexistent. You just need tartness in that kind of beer, typical sticky palate, very low carbonation.

04-21-2005 15:35:09 | More by Rastacouere
MattSweatshirt

2.73/5  rDev -29.5%

Poured into a champagne flute.
This beer has a great look to it. A slight pink head with big bubbles on top and tight small champagne-esque ones on the sides. Red body. It leaves lacing but I don't know how much down the full glass as I was unable to finish it.
Sweetness assaults your nose. Seems like what a raspberry jam would smell like. It is sort of overbearing, burying the musty/funk smell.
Sickeningly sweet raspberry jam flavor quickly and thankfully gives way to a faint tartness that actually makes this drinkable.
Syrupy body with a little fizz to help move it along.
I can't totally hate it as a couple sips were enjoyable, but no way could I finish the whole glass. Way too sweet and not enough of any other characteristics to make up for it.

03-07-2012 00:11:39 | More by MattSweatshirt
Gueuzedude

Arizona

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

As soon as I pop the cork on this beer I get a sticky sweet mix of sugar and raspberry, then a bit of sharp raspberry skin comes through as well. The beer pours with a dirty pink colored head and is an opaque dirty pinkish tinged deep cherry color. The aroma is dominated by candy-sweet notes of raspberry, a hint of tartness, and a nice note of raspberry skins and seeds, the last of which adds a bit to the complexity of an otherwise simplistic beverage (not sure I can call this one beer).

Oh gawd, the beer is even sweeter than I was expecting, how unfortunate, did it have to be this sweet. Amazingly enough the sweetness actually drowns out the raspberry flavor at first. As my palate becomes a little more adjusted to the sticky sweetness the full raspberry character becomes noticeable in the front of this beer; there is a solid raspberry pulp note as well as a bit of tannic raspberry seed/ skin, and perhaps a bit of the tartness. The finish though is initially dominated by the sticky sweetness, but slowly a bit of tart raspberry character comes to take over the long lingering finish.

This would definitely seem appropriate over some waffles or such, and I can see this pairing at least somewhat well with dense flourless chocolate cake, but on it's own it is just too sweet, and most egregiously so far from anything that is Lambic, to really be enjoyable.

10-30-2005 22:20:14 | More by Gueuzedude
WillCarrera

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A- Pours a dark raspberry color with a bubbly two-finger pink head.

S- Massive raspberry aroma as soon as the cork comes out, pretty sweet smelling like a piece of hard candy, lots of syrup, almost like smelling a glass of raspberry flavored cough syrup, not that great.

T- Big raspberry flavor, very sweet and syrupy, tartness is there but is highly subdued, mild yeasty barnyard flavor. The flavor is just so sweet and overpowering, it tastes like raspberry extract and artificial sweetener.

M- Light bodied, high carbonation, crisp feel.

O- Way too sweet with artificial raspberry flavoring, the hallmarks of lambic, the tartness and great yeast flavors, are mostly absent. If you blindfolded me I would guess I was drinking a raspberry Smirnoff Ice. I love lambics but couldn't finish my glass of this beer.

12-28-2011 02:20:45 | More by WillCarrera
jsanford

Georgia

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Pours a bight, ruby-red with a fluffy rose-colored head that settles to a thick cap, leaving lots of spotty lacing.
S - Straight-up raspberry Jolly Rancher with perhaps just a touch of grain. Sweet and artificial.
T - Yeah, close to the nose. Sweet, artificial raspberry flavors, grain, and some lemon.
M - Sticky, with a medium body and fairly sharp carbonation.
O - Well, it's certainly crowd-pleasing to non-beer drinking friends, but it's not for me. Too sweet, too artificial, no thanks.

01-17-2012 16:56:33 | More by jsanford
genaro

2.78/5  rDev -28.2%

Presentation- a heavy green bottle with a cork under the cap. It had a rich raspberry aroma. The head was pink and the color was reddish grape. The lace was streaky. The taste was very sweet and fruity and well carbonated. Alcohol was noticeable in both the aroma and taste. This beer just wasn't suited to my tastes (or visa versa) and I don't believe I finished it. I realize it's a complex, highly rated beer but it tasted too sweet and fruity, almost like soda pop (albeit potent soda pop). Maybe I'm just not worthy.

01-28-2004 01:50:39 | More by genaro
MbpBugeye

2.78/5  rDev -28.2%

I have had only a few sips of this beer. I ended up with a bottle of my own so this is the most of this Ive had to myself.

A- Deep rose color with a pink soapy head. Surprisingly it retains a pillow of foam that leaves spotty lacing. The beer is semi hazed. About the color of a ruby stone.

S- Lots and lots of raspberries. Mostly the sweet, ripe red raspberries. Its really hard to get any real beer smells from it. Its all buried deep beneath a wall of raspberries and candy.

T- The raspberries at least taste real, which they are. It could easily taste like its loaded with syrups and sugar but it stays away from that. But you will struggle to find anything other than ultra sweet raspberries in this beer. There is a nice tartness that strays close to sourness which is a welcome taste but any thing resembling a real lambic is lost. Any funk, yeast or sourness is oppressed by a dictatorship of raspberries.

M- Sugary sweetness like drinking a lot of juice. It changes the chemistry of my mouth to something thats pretty uncomfortable. My spit becomes adhesive, my teeth hurt and my lips are shriveling. The dry finish a lambic should have is not there, all stickiness.

D- Well the alcohol is low, it doesnt take a genius or seasoned Belgian drinker to knock some back and its not heavy. Its just too cloying and any beer essence is bound and gagged and thrown off a bridge.

I already knew this was a favorite among people who dont like beer but like to feel like they are fitting in, but actually paying attention to it as I drink clinches it for me. I dont like this beer. Bring me some Fonteinen or Cantillon.

07-04-2010 05:58:07 | More by MbpBugeye