Lindemans Framboise - Brouwerij Lindemans

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  2.50% ABV

2.5-4.0% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-01-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Framboise Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Served in logo flute. Poured the thick red color we've become so familiar with. The beer had about a half inch of pink head that dissipated quickly and left little lacing.

The aroma certainly had a lot of raspberry in it, but also smelled very syrupy-sweet. Oh yeah, now I remember. This is absolutely one of the thickest, stickiest beers ever. The taste is strongly raspberry and very sweet.

The body is too thick and sweet to really be enjoyable. Drinkability is good, within the parameters of this beer. I often prefer to use this beer to blend with others to add different flavors.

Overall, this is a decent example of the style. But if, like me, you find it too sweet and syrupy, there are other examples that are more tart and lighter in body.

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

A - Deep red that is a light rose toward the top. The head is average sized with a pink hued white head and good lacing.

S - Lots of raspberry with it being mostly sweet smelling with a light tartness.

T - Sweet and tart raspberry, with sweet being more prominent. Reminds me of liquid candy, maybe a Jolly Rancher, where you get a touch a mouth-watering tartness but underlying sweetness.

M - Medium body that is syrupy/sticky.

D - Well the flavors don't really offend and are nice, but not really something I would drink multiples of in a night, or at least in a row.

Notes: This is, like others from Lindemans, a sweet lambic. It's not bad and not really going to offend someone unless they don't really like raspberries or candy. Not really my drink of choice but it fills a niche.

3.28/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours deep red to purple in color with a medium, bubbly, lavender head. Fairly opaque with a bit of visible carbonation.

Smells like... raspberries (surprise!). Lots of raspberries. A bit syrupy. Also an ever-so-slight hint of the brett if I really look for it.

Taste is the same, more raspberry flavor. Very sweet and syrupy. A hint of tartness and a nice yet subtle funkiness that gives it a more substantial flavor than just the fruit.

Rather thick body and syrupy feel; slight crispness from the carbonation.

This beer has its place, but is a bit on the sweet side for my liking. It comes off one-dimensional with the heavy raspberry notes. Still a good dessert beer, and I think it could have a good place in cooking up a sweet raspberry syrup for a topping on cheesecake or other dessert.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Lindemans Framboise Lambic was a very deep, opaque red with a two finger, ridiculously pink head that displayed fair retention.

The aroma absolutely reeked of raspberries; there was no mistaking it for anything else, no room for anything else.

The taste was also raspberry, tart to the point of sour, but with a sweet backbone.

The mouth feel was medium bodied, syrupy with low carbonation.

Drinkability suffers from two things: the price was a little high to enjoy often, and the strong taste makes it a sipper that would be difficult to tolerate in large quantities. A low ABV doesn't make any difference in this case.

Wow, Framboise Lambic tasted great and was definitely interesting, but it just isn't what I want in a beer. In an ice cream topping, yes, but not beer.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Wow... just, wow. Haven't had a lot of lambics before, but this impressed me.

Very unbeerish appearance - a decent head, but it's frigging bright red. Looks like a dark rose wine.

Smells of... raspberries. More tartness and acidity than raspberry juice, but still... nothing you'd expect in a beer.

The taste is astounding - it's filled to the brim with raspberries, quite a bit of acidity, a little bit of citrus-y flavors. No hops, no malt, just raspberries and acid, and it's lovely.

Quite carbonated, quite refreshing. Taste lingers in your mouth for a while, but the raspberry disappears and leaves mainly an acidic taste, in a good way.

Very, very drinkable. I can see why people say it's a sipper because of the acidity, but I find it to be the complete opposite - it's low abv and refreshing taste means I could drink this all day without a problem, the acidity notwithstanding. An excellent offering from Lindemans, and thankfully it is pretty widely available in most places in the UK.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

At first glance and taste you would never know that this is beer. It kind of reminded me of those Izze soda drinks you can buy at the market, but 1000 times better.

A: Pours a deep reddish purple with an intriguing pink head. Very bubbly.

S: Raspberry. Really, that's all you get. It's not overpowering but a nice sweet/slightly tart smell.

T: Again raspberry. Not too sweet or tart.

M: The carbonation leaves a nice bubbly feeling in your mouth as you drink it. You can definitely feel some of the lingering acidity on your tongue, almost like it roughed up your taste buds. Leaves a subtle raspberry aftertaste.

D: Definitely a sipping beer due to the carbonation and raspberry intensity. Seems more like a dessert than a drink. Picturing it with vanilla ice cream... This one gets an overall "noms" from me.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

A - pours a bright deep red with a generous pink head. yes, pink in this instnace is cool. looks kinda like fruit punch.

S - smells of citric acid, rasberries, spiked fruit punch.

T - acdidity hits you right up front, but in a good way. the fruit notes of rasberries, and some citric acid flavors are there. almost no alcohol taste is present. pomegranete is there in a big way too.

M - mouthfeel is full and bubbly. it's got a lot going on and is quite intersting to swish around.

D - This beer is a sipper. the acidity is high for sure, but that is what i like about it. you don't have 3 or 4 of these guys (even though with the low ABV you could). the flavor is intense, and the reaction you get when you let someone try it, then tell them it's a beer is priceless.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

My first fruit lambic but my 150th brewery to review.

Purchased and opened on this particular day to convince my spouse that beer isn't all bad. She enjoyed it but asked me to take it away so she wouldn't drink it all.

Capped and corked 355 mL green bottle. Served cold in a chalice. Framboise has a striking deep red color with very good clarity. The pinkish head is short-lived.

Aroma is straight raspberries. Nothing more, nothing less. Well maybe a little alcohol but I can't imagine a "beer" tasting any more like raspberries.

Flavor is, again, all about the berries. Just slightly sour but mostly sweet raspberries.

Mouthfeel is medium-light in body and lower in carbonation than expected. It's an enjoyable beer in small doses but I would never have more than one glass.

Overall, it's not too bad. Being the first lambic, I thought it might be more sour but this is more of the crowd pleaser for this style. I'll need to try the Cantilions and others before I can make a real opinion.

By the way, this goes great with the raspberry chocolate cheesecake we had tonight.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Split this with the girlfriend last night. Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a deep ruby red color. Two finger pink colored head that dies down after a few minutes. Light streaked lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- This is all raspberry and really nothing else. Some sweetness and tartness is in the raspberry but nothing else...just raspberry.

T- Once again this is very in your face with the raspberry. There are the notes once again of sweetness and tartness but really there is nothing else but raspberry everywhere in this.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation makes for a lively beer. Raspberry is the only thing left on the palate and in the aftertaste. Even a small raspberry resin left behind on the teeth and rest of the mouth.

D- This beer is very sweet but I had no problem finishing this and it is a lot more drinkable that the Pomme from Lindemans. This might be a girl beer per say but I don't mind drinking it when the time comes.

4.68/5  rDev +21.6%

Pours deep burgundy with a pink head.

Strong, mouthwatering raspberries in the aroma. Not a lot of notes, just killer raspberry.

Taste is sweet raspberry and the spontanious fermentation balances out with a tart acidity.

In the end, this beer comes down to personal taste. Some say it's too sweet or it's not "beery" enough. All I know is that everytime I drink this I love it. Great as dessert, with chocolate, over ice cream, or if you're just having a bad day and want to be cheered up. Classic.

4.53/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a semi hazy and bright red color topped with a creamy and bright pink head. The nose is very tart and has the aroma of sweet fruit. The tart character continues in the flavor and the taste of sweet strawberries becomes more evident. With a light and highly carbonated body, the beer reaches all parts of the tongue and is packed full of flavor. The finish is quick and ends with a mouth puckering tart end.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

If it weren't for the foamy layer on top, I would think this was a wine because the color is such a deep red. The foam is even a pinkish color.

Like all fruity lambics, this isn't something I would want if I were craving a beer, but it is fun to drink nonetheless. Definitely enjoyable, and a great drink to bring to a party because it is a great conversation drink.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

12oz bottle into a Bruery Tulip

A: Ruby red with a pink head. Looks like a fizzy fruit drink (which it kinda is, I guess).

S: The nose is all raspberries. I can pick up both the sweetness and the tartness in the aroma.

T: Unabashed sweetness followed by mouth puckering sour. This beer is a swing from one extreme to the other. Perhaps a bit too sweet, but still very interesting.

M: Thin & somewhat watery.

D: This beer is too sweet for me to enjoy in any significant amounts. I'm glad I tried it, but I will have to be in the mood to have another.

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

355ml bottle. It's always kind of weird, after popping the cap on a beer, to also have to get through a miniature cork as well, dont'cha think?

This beer pours a somewhat hazy, prune juice-like reddish purple colour, with two fingers of soapy, bubbly pale pink head, which leaves a low ebbing ring of lace around the glass as it duly settles.

It smells of musty, veritable raspberries, coldly boiling away on their way to becoming jelly or pie - sweet fruit and acidic esters, stellar, sure, but with some faint pale malt sweetness, and a bit of lambic-friendly yeastiness. The taste is rather sweet, sort of grainy malt, and big, hard to idly ignore, sour, acidic raspberry juice, full stop.

The carbonation is a bit peppy at first, but eventually lands squarely on the soft side, the body full in weight, via a judiciously juicy fruitiness, and actually smooth, without further ado. It finishes on the tangy, fruity side, with a mild soft graininess, all things clean.

I am quite obviously biased by my affinity for the eponymous fruit, but nonetheless, this is a wonderful fusion of a Lambic base with the power of complex, unadulterated raspberry goodness. If you suspect that the sugary fruitiness might overcome, I can attest that the drying sourness does linger, tempting you towards evermore.

3.35/5  rDev -13%

I am revisiting a beer I have not had in a very long time.

A- ruby, purple foam

S - fruits all over the place. Pleasant smell!

t - woah, my tastes have changed. I always thought this beer was sweet. But now I find it WAY sweet. Nice raspberry taste, but not enough sourness to balance the sweetness, which is cloying/sticky.

D I used to be able to drink this easily, now I find it too sweet. I want to drink something very sour or hoppy to clear my palate. I almost feel like I had too much candy! The sourness eventually overtakes the sweetness. The sourness is weak, but it lasts longer. I like that it lasts such a long time.

I have used this beer in the past to introduce people to sour beers because it's cheap, mild and widely available, but I may have to find something less sweet if I am to do that again. It's still an easy way to introduce someone to effects of wild yeasts without getting too weird.

Also people who are not used to beer are usually surprised by this one.

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Ruby red color with pink foam and nice carbonation. Can almost smell the raspberries from across the room. Wonderful fresh raspberry aroma with little else there, maybe a few musty notes in the background. Taste is nice and sweet up front with an explosion of raspberry taste. Also, has some old basement like notes from the wild yeast. Tartness comes through in the finish, which is appreciated. Medium body with a fair amount of stickiness, but not as much as one would expect from such a sweet beer. A little bit sweet to be a session beer, but it does go down fairly easy, and is my wife's go to drink of choice. By the way, she swears that it tastes better at Monk's Café in Philly, and while I am not the expert I have to say it seems to be extra fresh and raspberry-rife.

A: Poured with an average-sized, frothy pink head. Body is a dark ruby-pink color, and basically opaque due to its color.

S: Yep, that's raspberry, all right. Very strong and quite sour, although after a few sniffs, I surprisingly was not sickened by the attack of raspberry on my sense of smell.

T: Again, lots of raspberries... very sweet and tart, with a touch of sourness to it all. I like it, though; this is my first lambic beer and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed my first one.

M: Medium-bodied, creamy, with average carbonation.

D: I wouldn't, and couldn't, drink this all night, but I would likely say that about any lambic. Still, quite enjoyable and a definite difference from the other styles I've tried.

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

pours plum red with a 1+ finger pinkish head that has great retention

smells of strong raspberries and thats about all pick up on

taste a blend of sweet and tart raspberries with some funk of lambic in the background

mouthfeel is a little sticky but very smooth and creamy

drinkability is good but when i want a beer this will not be it

4.58/5  rDev +19%

12oz pour at Goodbars.

While these Lindemans beers are classed as fruit lambics, I don't approach them expecting something similar to a Cantillon or a Drei Fonteinen. The sweetness and lack of funky sourness precludes that. Instead I view them as a Belgian take on a fruit beer and removed from your traditional lambic. As such, I really like them for what they are. The framboise is probably the most lambic of their offerings, but is still pretty tame.

The pour is a rich, cloudy blood red, and the barkeep is so enthusiastic in giving me as much as possible that the liquid hugs the rim of the glass in a way taht defies physics. I've seen this beer before and I know it usually has a good head. I'll sacrifice admiring that for a huge pour any day. The aroma is simple - tart raspberries and not much else. Hey, and guess what, the ball keeps rolling in the flavour. Huge tart fresh raspberry flavour puts this closer in feel to a true fruit lambic than other Lindeman's takes. Its clean, fresh and fruity, with a nice balance between sourness and sweetness. Its a winner in my book.

Certainly a nice beer. The flavour tastes like real fruit, and has exceptional balance. The body is quenching, and the weight makes it ideal for summer. Sure, its not a lambic in the traditional sense, but don't let it stop you enjoying a good beer.

2.58/5  rDev -33%

pour was deep purple with hints of cherry red. lots of head in the pour but when i got it, it was light.

raspberry up front, quite strong. very sweet

sugar bomb, raspberry syrup, more sugar, and a very light tartness. i struggled to find something else but the sugar and syrup were so overpowering. the sour flavor was slightly there so a hint of wildness existed somewhere.

decent carbonation, fairly full body, smooth drinking.

i will never drink this again, i never finished my snifter. it was too sweet and gave me a sugar headache. it was too overpowering where the other flavors seemed to be washed out.

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%

This is my first lambic beer, so we'll see how I like it.

This beer pours a deep red, almost purple color, with a purple tinged head that fades fairly quickly.

The smell is ovepoweringly in your face raspberry jam, but not unpleasantly so.

To be honest I was hoping for a little bit more in a lambic ale. The raspberry overwhelms all other flavors. Any tartness from the Brett and or wild bacterias are swallowed by the intense raspberry flavor. It does have a pleasant feel to it, with a pretty heavy dose of carbonation.

Not saying this is a bad beer, if you just want a kind of expensive raspberry juice. On the other hand, the wife loves it, and she hates beer. Overall, not something I would buy very often, only when I crave raspberries.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a nice dark red with a frothy pink head. Smells only of raspberry, lots of sweet notes, not much else. The taste is hugely raspberry, some tart notes as the finish. This is smooth, bubbly and refreshing, a great mouthfeel. This one is pleasant to drink, not much to it, but very enjoyable. Very tasty!

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Thrid trial of the Lambic type beers. Framboise Lambic from Lindemans Vlezenbeek, Belgium. Light alcohol but heavy taste of raspberries.

A- Pours a opaque dark fruity raspberry red colored fluid with fluffy purplish head that leaves minimal lacing.

S- Fresh raspberry puree on the nose is the dominant scent with light hints of wild yeast tang and tart. Candy sweetness fumes.

T-M- Taste is as interesting and intriguing as the process of making it. Very raw and fresh picked raspberry flavor fuel to buds with massive sour bite of active yeast. Highly carbonated mouthfeel with fruit juice-like smoothness. Not to shabby for a friut lambic.

D- I could have one of these every once and a while to share the massive fruit flavor of this beer. My girlfriend likes it! I'll be damn'd.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a clear, ruby color. 2/3 inch head of a dark pink color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of raspberries, slight yeast, and tart malt. Fits the style of a Lambic - Fruit. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an high carbonation level. There is also a noticeable tartness. Tastes of raspberries up front, slight yeast, and strong tart malt. Overall, a good blend, tartness level, body, and aroma.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

This is the first time I've tried a lambic. This seems to be far and away the most popular (google image search lambic and this comes up). Had a bottle cap/cork combo, which I've always thought is kind of weird.

Appearance- Pours a beautiful, deep purple color with hints of crimson. Almost wine-like in color but more purple. A pink head quickly dissipates, but never goes away entirely. Has a good deal of sediment in the last glass.

Smell- Sweet, and dominated by the raspberries. Fruit aromas in most other styles are generally pretty subtle although present, but this really bashes you over the head. The natural bacteria and yeast give off a distinctive almost tart odor.

Taste- Completely unlike any beer I've ever tasted. It honestly reminds me of tart raspberry sauce, like something that would go on a cheesecake. It's very sweet, but balanced well with a tartness. Has a unique flavor that I'm guessing must come from the untamed brewing process. Any alcohol is extremely well masked.

Mouthfeel- Excellent carbonation and a fairly thick, sticky body. Coats your teeth with the same fuzzy substance you get after you've eaten a shit-ton of really sweet candy.

Drinkability- I found this beer unique and very enjoyable. I found myself taking big sips, especially at first, but after awhile you really can't get past the sweetness.

Overall Impressions: My girlfriend would definitely love this beer. It's sweet, fruit flavored, and you can hardly taste the alcohol.That's not a knock on this beer, but I found it to be a bit much, but definitely a solid beer, and I look forward to trying more lambics!

Lindemans Framboise from Brouwerij Lindemans