Lindemans Framboise - Brouwerij Lindemans

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  2.50% ABV

2.5-4.0% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-01-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Framboise Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Comes packaged with both a cork and a cap. Opening gives a satisfying *pop* return, but not as loud as your average sparkling wine. Served in champagne style glass.

Pours dark pink, with a very healthy light pink froth. The head stands longer than many beers (excepting a stout) before it settles to a thin lace covering the entire surface. When consumed, the lace sticks to the side of a glass. Looks like a very rich and slightly cloudy wine really.

Smell is weakly or faintly raspberry. It is not overpowering, but given the lush appearance I expected a stronger aroma. You can smell some aroma hops, not too strong and it blends right in with the fruit.

Taste sweet at first, then lots of carbonation (but the suds are not painful/sharp overdone). This is followed by some mouth puckering tang that stays long after you swallow. Nice.

Mouthfeel is thick, almost creamy. The carbonation level is just perfect.

A sipper, but you may find yourself drinking it faster as it breathes and lets out some of the gas. Some might find it too sweet for a session, but I find this runs out too quickly, and I'm wanting more to the degree that I am considering brewing a clone.

Probably my dozenth purchase... I know I should be comparing this against other framboise, but I find I can't resist this brew -- and it relatively easier to locate and purchase. Excellent with holiday meals and desert. A dangerous gateway brew which could win over folks accustomed to wine or who don't normally drink specialty beers.

altgeeky1, Dec 04, 2007

Nice looking 750ml foil topped bottle. Poured at 45F into a large snifter.

Good appearance, rich red color with a thick pinkish head. The aroma is of tart raspberries and well balanced sweetness. The has lots of sweet raspberries with a hint of tartness. It has a very crisp and fesh mouthfeel with a light body. Although, this lacks th ecomplexity of some finer lambics, it is still a and drinkable beer.

rye726, Nov 24, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +25.5%

It's hard to even consider this a beer but it's absolutely delicious. Dark red like a merlot with a thick rose colored head. Smells like my grandmother's rasberry jam. Tastes like rasberry jam too. That's all that needs to be said. Nice carbonation and very sweeet. Very easy to drink but due to the sweetness you couldn't drink too many.

berserker256, Nov 20, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sorry but this following comment is in french :

Appearance : robe rouge
Smell : deploie des parfums herbacés, boisés, typiques des framboises fraiches.
Taste and mouthfeel : Très bon goût de framboise. En bouche, elle est florale, puis devient très sucrée. Une acidité propre au lambic, emerge en finale, conférant à cette bière un equilibre surprenant.
Drinkability : bonne kriek.

thierrynantes, Nov 09, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +20.8%

Returning to one of the first beers to make me realize my destiny of beer-tasting the world, way back at Clancy's (Bloomsburg, PA) in my college days...thick crimson red body with a full inch off-white creamy head in its official Lindemans flute....will it be redundant--or obvious--to note the raspberry? a light yeast strain as well...refreshingly delicious...creamy, fizzy, lively palate balances with a soft presence perfectly...a tart raspberry to start... acidic, slightly burning end...as enjoyable and candylike a beer I've experienced...the fiz and burn could be a slight turn-off, but tart and appropriate to its promise...perfect as a stand-alone...

dacrza1, Nov 08, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

A: Very nice, a dark purple with a thick pinkish head. Looks almost like a red wine, aside from the apparently high carbonation.

S: Smells of raspberries with some mild tartness. There is some sort of wine-like quality to the scent.

T: Very sweet raspberry flavor to start, but it finishes of tart and sour. A pretty good balance in my opinion, not oversweet. It has an aged quality to it that I can't really explain.

MF: Light and bubbly. I agree with the previous poster that it feels similar to hard cider. Leaves a syrupy film.

O: Even though I was mentally prepared for this to not really taste like beer, it still threw me off a bit. After the initial shock, though, this is pretty tasty. If you were ever looking for a dessert beer, this would be it.

rxdrewthejew, Nov 05, 2007

This beer poured a beet red color with a thin pink rose head. Looked much more like juice than beer. The aroma was syrupy sweet, with a hint of tartness. I'm not gonna lie, it smelt like a cherry Tootsie-pop.

I'm not gonna lie, it also tasted like a cherry Tootsie-pop, but with a touch of tartness and some very subtle mustiness. Sticky sweet raspberry and cherry flavor, but not overbearing, this drink went down incredibly smooth. It's unlike any beer I've ever tried, and I have to say, it tastes so good you have to remember that it's a beer best sipped and savored (especially for the price). Mouthfeel is sparkling cider like, and is noticeably carbonated.

This beer can become a bit much if you drank a lot of it, plus the cost is prohibitive, which is why drinkability is low. But there is a lot to like here, if you can get past the fact it tastes nothing like beer. It would also pair wonderfully with chocolate.

BBM, Nov 03, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +6%

I would say this is less of a beer than a fruit juice with kick, but it's really good. It has a wonderful deep purple/red color and a great raspberry scent. It's very thick and, while it goes down smooth, it would be hard to drink very much at a time. It has a thick raspberry taste, with little ale taste. While it's hard to mistake for a beer, it's great with dark chocolate or chocolate torte.

JamesS, Nov 02, 2007
2.35/5  rDev -39%

I was at a bar and in the mood for some Belgian beer. No Chimay or Duvel, but oddly enough, they had this in a 335 ml bottle. So I gave it a try. The bar tender and everyone around looked at me funny. Anyway, on to the beer.
A: Red/purple and not much head. I don't know how else to describe it.
S: Fruity and very sweet, specifically raspberries.
T: Raspberries and lots of carbonation. Tasted like sparkling wine or raspberry soda. Did not like it at all.
D: The sweetness and carbonation made this very hard to drink.

I hope most lambics are not like this. I did not notice any real redeeming qualities. I don't like overly sweet and highly carbonated beers, so take this with a grain of salt. I really don't mean to be so harsh in my review, but I was disappointed.

champ103, Oct 24, 2007
3.28/5  rDev -14.8%

10 ounce goblet from the Yard House in Rancho Cucamonga at Victoria Gardens

Pour was a deep reddish purple with a tiny little head that disappeared simultaneously, looks like a more complex sparkling wine, like Wild Vines or something

Smell was purely raspberries and lots of them, smell was as sweet as fruity syrup

Taste was nothing like beer, real berry taste stood out with an aftertaste like cough syrup or something, not bad for a lambic, but missing a little something, maybe too sweet for me and too much sourness in the finish

Could only drink a couple of these, but I have seen many people down 750 ml bottles with no problem, so it just depends on how much you like this

Worth checking out on tap if you are lucky enough to find it

Floydster, Oct 13, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Rich red-brown body with a minimal head that's tan in coloration and quickly disappears.

S: Lots of raspberry and some earthy notes.

T: Initially tart as the raspberry sweetness hits after the first impression... Not too sour, a tad tart and a lot of residual sweetness.

M: Clean, silky, refreshing, but ultimately way to sweet.

O: The sweetness and tartness eventually gets you... I had some difficulty finishing the last few sips... I greatly prefer true lambics like those from Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen and Oud Beersel and would recommend looking there first.

callmemickey, Oct 10, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

This was on tap at a local Mexican place (La Cueva) and I thought why not give it a try. It was served in what looked like a Lindeman's Framboise pokal glass, very nice. Dark, maroon-red color almost purple. Smell was instant raspberries and not much else. The taste was like a syrupy raspberry juice, very good but I didn't want more than a couple ounces. This was an interesting beer but not something I would revisit.

ArrogantB, Oct 09, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - I gave this a 3 beacause it was pretty dark where I was drinking.

S - Smelled great. Lots of raspberries. My GF thought it smelled more like wine than beer.

T - Loved it. Tasted more like a raspberry soda.

M - Nice, smooth, refreshing

D - I want to say I could drink these all day but w/ the sweetness and the price and the low alcohol content, I don't know. If you just want one or two then that should be fine.

nbrown, Oct 06, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

375ml corked and caged bottle bought from GapWines, Belfast... This bottle shows 2.5% ABV not the 4% listed here...

Poured a deep dark hazy pinky red which hardly any light gets through. Pinky white head poured quite thick and foamy then faded to thin wispy layer with thickish edges... light patchy lacing...

Aroma - Strong sharp sweet raspberries, some vinegar sourness coming through, light woody and earthy notes, peppery, light biscuit malts, cut grass hints, light musty lambic traces, some sour cherry hints also...

Taste – Sweet creamy raspberries, nice sharp acidic bite comes through the sweetness, salty notes, vinegar sourness, some vanilla, musty and woody notes, nice pepperiness, some nutty notes - almond maybe ?

Feel - Quite sharp but becomes smoother after a few sips... light / medium bodied... incredibly drinkable at only 2.5% but maybe a little sickly after a while...

Overall - A very good framboise.... definitely worth a try...

mdagnew, Sep 19, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Appears a crimson toned puple with a pink toned, off-white head that slowly fades into a mild collar. Streaky spots of scattered lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of raspberry syrup, berry yogurt, and an over abundance of sugary corn syrup.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with light oak that seems to be hidden behind the dessert like sugar bomb.
Mouthfeel is syrupy, sugary, mildly tart but still candy like with the heaping serving of sugar that pushes this beverage towards being cloying.

weeare138, Sep 11, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +13%

Split a bottle with my girlfriend last night. She is now gone to Brampton for school. I miss this beer, but not as much as her.
This was a good choice, I am not a huge fan of fruity beers but this was awesome and a great change from all the hoppy beers I have been drinking lately. The framboise pours with a fluffy pink head that leaves behind very dense lacing's as it hovers along the top of the glass. Has a maroon color almost like fresh grape juice.

Smells of sweet raspberries and other fruits, with a touch of sourness. Magnificent!

The taste is rather sweet, but that alright with me cause we only have one bottle. Has a lot of raspberries on the palate along with a slightly tart dry finish.

irishkyle21, Sep 04, 2007

A - Pours a murky reddish-brown with a pink-tinged tan head. Low carbonation

S - Raspberry, solvent, sourness, earth, mushroom.

T - Lightly tart raspberry flavour at first, before it gently sweetens. The raspberry runs through the length of the taste but evolves and softens beautifully. Solvents appear from the middle onwards. Doesn't get anywhere near as sours and puckering as other lambics I've tried. Aftertaste is slightly sour with a sweet perfumed background of raspberry.

M - Light body and carbonation. Clean, refreshing mouthfeel.

D - Light, refreshing and easily consumed. A tasty lambic.

haz77, Aug 26, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

A beautiful reddish brown with a nice, thick, persistent head. Aroma is strongly fruity, mainly raspberry, with some spicy hints. Raspberry dominates the sweet malty flavor. Drinking this beer is almost like drinking raspberry-flavored pop, so it could be insidious! (And I LOVE raspberries!)

Cyberkedi, Aug 26, 2007
3.6/5  rDev -6.5%

On-tap

A - Deep red in color with a lighter red head, good retention.

S - Pungent fruity raspberries, a bit earthy. Just smells like raspberries.

T/M - Sweet raspberry flavor, nothing beer-like. Could be raspberry juice? I dunno. Good carbonation, slightly elevated giving a nice kick, complementing the earthy sweet fruity flavor.

D - It's okay I guess, style doesn't suit me though. If I want beer I'll get a beer, if I want wine I'll get a wine, if I want juice I'll get some juice. Can't really see myself saying "hey I want a lambic!"

umustdrink, Aug 25, 2007

Not bad at all. This is my first try at the Lambic style of brews. I find it to be very interesting. It's light, yet flavorful, and just a bit of "kick" on the ol' palate.

The appearance is dark-red (burgundy)... almost like a red wine. The smell is very fruity, of course, the raspberry aroma creeps over the glass. The taste is light and flavorful... it ends somewhat bitter, but clean. The experience is just like eating an actual raspberry. The mouthfeel is also good...as it's light and crisp.

The drinkability is pretty good, but I don't know that I could drink it all day into night.

Overall, I like it...think it's a good brew. I'd use the lambics as a "change" from the ol' stand-by. I would definitely drink this one again.

eb003, Aug 25, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

was fortunate to find this on-tap served in it's own fluted glassware at chef paul's in lisle. this is a cloudy deep raspberry in color with a pink head. have never seen such colors on a beer before, but then again i've have never had a raspberry lambic before either. smell is of raspberries exclusively. taste is of heavily sweet, very tart raspberries. mouthfeel is thickly viscous and biting. this is more like a fruit wine than beer, and if i enjoyed this style i'm sure i'd give it much higher marks.

MrMcGibblets, Aug 24, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

Had this last night with dessert. I thought it went exceptionally well with the chocolate lava cake I had.

A: Poured a dark purple/burgundy. Fairly murky; not a bunch of head but perhaps it was my fault?

S: Smelled strongly of raspberries, but didn't necessarily smell good to me.

T: Tasted strongly of raspberries, and tasted much better than it smelled. Very carbonated. Nice tartness and went well with chocolate.

M: Carbonation led to a prickly mouth feel; pretty thick feel to it as well.

D: It's something I think anyone would like (even non beer drinkers) assuming they didn't hate raspberries. It's not something I would want all the time, but it's certainly nice to have one with dessert or as a dessert itself every once in a while.

hellomcfly, Aug 17, 2007

I've tried fruity lambics before by themselves and have not liked them, but I decided I would try some food pairing with this, and had some delicious chocolate cheesecake along with the beer. The combination of the raspberry and chocolate was perfect. The smell is overpoweringly raspberry and the taste is equally fruity. Combined with the right foods, though, the beer mellows out nicely and makes for a perfect dessert beer.

The beer complemented the food so very well, but I don't think it would stand up on its own (at least not for me, as I'm not a huge fan of sweet beers). Definitely worth a shot if you have something sweet to go along with it, though!

jbramley, Aug 11, 2007
4.93/5  rDev +28.1%

This beer poured with a frothy pink head and a rich burgundy color. Perfect mouthfeel. Rich taste of raspberries with quite a bit of tartness. Shared a bottle with my brother and absolutely loved it. I just don't have enough superlatives to attach to this one. Simply wonderful.

pojo41, Aug 08, 2007

Served from a 750 mL green bomber at cellar temp.

Nose is of raspberry juice.

Pettilant carbonation, leaves fine pink foam reminiscent of ordinary fruit juice.

Surprisingly clean aroma and flavor for a wild fermentation. How do they get a fermented drink so sweet? Sweet, tart, delicious.

Drinkability is fine.