Lindemans Framboise - Brouwerij Lindemans

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  2.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-01-2000

2.5-4.0% ABV
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Framboise Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev +6%

I would say this is less of a beer than a fruit juice with kick, but it's really good. It has a wonderful deep purple/red color and a great raspberry scent. It's very thick and, while it goes down smooth, it would be hard to drink very much at a time. It has a thick raspberry taste, with little ale taste. While it's hard to mistake for a beer, it's great with dark chocolate or chocolate torte.

2.35/5  rDev -39%

I was at a bar and in the mood for some Belgian beer. No Chimay or Duvel, but oddly enough, they had this in a 335 ml bottle. So I gave it a try. The bar tender and everyone around looked at me funny. Anyway, on to the beer.
A: Red/purple and not much head. I don't know how else to describe it.
S: Fruity and very sweet, specifically raspberries.
T: Raspberries and lots of carbonation. Tasted like sparkling wine or raspberry soda. Did not like it at all.
D: The sweetness and carbonation made this very hard to drink.

I hope most lambics are not like this. I did not notice any real redeeming qualities. I don't like overly sweet and highly carbonated beers, so take this with a grain of salt. I really don't mean to be so harsh in my review, but I was disappointed.

3.28/5  rDev -14.8%

10 ounce goblet from the Yard House in Rancho Cucamonga at Victoria Gardens

Pour was a deep reddish purple with a tiny little head that disappeared simultaneously, looks like a more complex sparkling wine, like Wild Vines or something

Smell was purely raspberries and lots of them, smell was as sweet as fruity syrup

Taste was nothing like beer, real berry taste stood out with an aftertaste like cough syrup or something, not bad for a lambic, but missing a little something, maybe too sweet for me and too much sourness in the finish

Could only drink a couple of these, but I have seen many people down 750 ml bottles with no problem, so it just depends on how much you like this

Worth checking out on tap if you are lucky enough to find it

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Rich red-brown body with a minimal head that's tan in coloration and quickly disappears.

S: Lots of raspberry and some earthy notes.

T: Initially tart as the raspberry sweetness hits after the first impression... Not too sour, a tad tart and a lot of residual sweetness.

M: Clean, silky, refreshing, but ultimately way to sweet.

O: The sweetness and tartness eventually gets you... I had some difficulty finishing the last few sips... I greatly prefer true lambics like those from Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen and Oud Beersel and would recommend looking there first.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

This was on tap at a local Mexican place (La Cueva) and I thought why not give it a try. It was served in what looked like a Lindeman's Framboise pokal glass, very nice. Dark, maroon-red color almost purple. Smell was instant raspberries and not much else. The taste was like a syrupy raspberry juice, very good but I didn't want more than a couple ounces. This was an interesting beer but not something I would revisit.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - I gave this a 3 beacause it was pretty dark where I was drinking.

S - Smelled great. Lots of raspberries. My GF thought it smelled more like wine than beer.

T - Loved it. Tasted more like a raspberry soda.

M - Nice, smooth, refreshing

D - I want to say I could drink these all day but w/ the sweetness and the price and the low alcohol content, I don't know. If you just want one or two then that should be fine.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

375ml corked and caged bottle bought from GapWines, Belfast... This bottle shows 2.5% ABV not the 4% listed here...

Poured a deep dark hazy pinky red which hardly any light gets through. Pinky white head poured quite thick and foamy then faded to thin wispy layer with thickish edges... light patchy lacing...

Aroma - Strong sharp sweet raspberries, some vinegar sourness coming through, light woody and earthy notes, peppery, light biscuit malts, cut grass hints, light musty lambic traces, some sour cherry hints also...

Taste – Sweet creamy raspberries, nice sharp acidic bite comes through the sweetness, salty notes, vinegar sourness, some vanilla, musty and woody notes, nice pepperiness, some nutty notes - almond maybe ?

Feel - Quite sharp but becomes smoother after a few sips... light / medium bodied... incredibly drinkable at only 2.5% but maybe a little sickly after a while...

Overall - A very good framboise.... definitely worth a try...

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Appears a crimson toned puple with a pink toned, off-white head that slowly fades into a mild collar. Streaky spots of scattered lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of raspberry syrup, berry yogurt, and an over abundance of sugary corn syrup.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with light oak that seems to be hidden behind the dessert like sugar bomb.
Mouthfeel is syrupy, sugary, mildly tart but still candy like with the heaping serving of sugar that pushes this beverage towards being cloying.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Split a bottle with my girlfriend last night. She is now gone to Brampton for school. I miss this beer, but not as much as her.
This was a good choice, I am not a huge fan of fruity beers but this was awesome and a great change from all the hoppy beers I have been drinking lately. The framboise pours with a fluffy pink head that leaves behind very dense lacing's as it hovers along the top of the glass. Has a maroon color almost like fresh grape juice.

Smells of sweet raspberries and other fruits, with a touch of sourness. Magnificent!

The taste is rather sweet, but that alright with me cause we only have one bottle. Has a lot of raspberries on the palate along with a slightly tart dry finish.

A - Pours a murky reddish-brown with a pink-tinged tan head. Low carbonation

S - Raspberry, solvent, sourness, earth, mushroom.

T - Lightly tart raspberry flavour at first, before it gently sweetens. The raspberry runs through the length of the taste but evolves and softens beautifully. Solvents appear from the middle onwards. Doesn't get anywhere near as sours and puckering as other lambics I've tried. Aftertaste is slightly sour with a sweet perfumed background of raspberry.

M - Light body and carbonation. Clean, refreshing mouthfeel.

D - Light, refreshing and easily consumed. A tasty lambic.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

A beautiful reddish brown with a nice, thick, persistent head. Aroma is strongly fruity, mainly raspberry, with some spicy hints. Raspberry dominates the sweet malty flavor. Drinking this beer is almost like drinking raspberry-flavored pop, so it could be insidious! (And I LOVE raspberries!)

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%

On-tap

A - Deep red in color with a lighter red head, good retention.

S - Pungent fruity raspberries, a bit earthy. Just smells like raspberries.

T/M - Sweet raspberry flavor, nothing beer-like. Could be raspberry juice? I dunno. Good carbonation, slightly elevated giving a nice kick, complementing the earthy sweet fruity flavor.

D - It's okay I guess, style doesn't suit me though. If I want beer I'll get a beer, if I want wine I'll get a wine, if I want juice I'll get some juice. Can't really see myself saying "hey I want a lambic!"

Not bad at all. This is my first try at the Lambic style of brews. I find it to be very interesting. It's light, yet flavorful, and just a bit of "kick" on the ol' palate.

The appearance is dark-red (burgundy)... almost like a red wine. The smell is very fruity, of course, the raspberry aroma creeps over the glass. The taste is light and flavorful... it ends somewhat bitter, but clean. The experience is just like eating an actual raspberry. The mouthfeel is also good...as it's light and crisp.

The drinkability is pretty good, but I don't know that I could drink it all day into night.

Overall, I like it...think it's a good brew. I'd use the lambics as a "change" from the ol' stand-by. I would definitely drink this one again.

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

was fortunate to find this on-tap served in it's own fluted glassware at chef paul's in lisle. this is a cloudy deep raspberry in color with a pink head. have never seen such colors on a beer before, but then again i've have never had a raspberry lambic before either. smell is of raspberries exclusively. taste is of heavily sweet, very tart raspberries. mouthfeel is thickly viscous and biting. this is more like a fruit wine than beer, and if i enjoyed this style i'm sure i'd give it much higher marks.

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

Had this last night with dessert. I thought it went exceptionally well with the chocolate lava cake I had.

A: Poured a dark purple/burgundy. Fairly murky; not a bunch of head but perhaps it was my fault?

S: Smelled strongly of raspberries, but didn't necessarily smell good to me.

T: Tasted strongly of raspberries, and tasted much better than it smelled. Very carbonated. Nice tartness and went well with chocolate.

M: Carbonation led to a prickly mouth feel; pretty thick feel to it as well.

D: It's something I think anyone would like (even non beer drinkers) assuming they didn't hate raspberries. It's not something I would want all the time, but it's certainly nice to have one with dessert or as a dessert itself every once in a while.

I've tried fruity lambics before by themselves and have not liked them, but I decided I would try some food pairing with this, and had some delicious chocolate cheesecake along with the beer. The combination of the raspberry and chocolate was perfect. The smell is overpoweringly raspberry and the taste is equally fruity. Combined with the right foods, though, the beer mellows out nicely and makes for a perfect dessert beer.

The beer complemented the food so very well, but I don't think it would stand up on its own (at least not for me, as I'm not a huge fan of sweet beers). Definitely worth a shot if you have something sweet to go along with it, though!

4.93/5  rDev +28.1%

This beer poured with a frothy pink head and a rich burgundy color. Perfect mouthfeel. Rich taste of raspberries with quite a bit of tartness. Shared a bottle with my brother and absolutely loved it. I just don't have enough superlatives to attach to this one. Simply wonderful.

Served from a 750 mL green bomber at cellar temp.

Nose is of raspberry juice.

Pettilant carbonation, leaves fine pink foam reminiscent of ordinary fruit juice.

Surprisingly clean aroma and flavor for a wild fermentation. How do they get a fermented drink so sweet? Sweet, tart, delicious.

Drinkability is fine.

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my wife's beer. Thought I would give it a review while sharing some with her.

Cloudy maroon body. Thin white head that diminishes quickly.

Nose is of fresh raspberries, sweet and tantalizing.

Flavor is very tart and sweet. Outstanding raspberry presence. High acidity, with a pucker finish.

Mouthfeel is slightly astringent and drying.

Drinkability is high, this is soda pop for grown-ups.

4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured a beautiful bergundy color with a pink/purplish off-white head. Smell of tartness and raspberries. Mouthfeel is just great, not too thin or thick. Taste is of sour/tart raspberries that finishes with some bitterness. Thanks to my brother for sharing this one.

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a pale and murky blush hue with a two finger creamy dark pink merangue-like head. There was very good retention and sticky lacing. Enjoyed in an official Lindemans tall, narrow glass. Very impressive.

The smell featured a raspberry sherbert element with hints of champagne yeast.

The taste was upfront tart, yet soft, raspberry with an estery champagne like yeast.

The mouthfeel was very effervescent and finished dry.

Overall a pleasant lambic. Very drinkable considering.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into a wine glass since other glassware was unavailable.

A: Pours out a beautiful rich reddish purple color. Small pinkish head.

S: Slightly acidic, but most raspberry.

T: Wonderful. Flavorful and full of raspberry. Slight fruit acidity that helps maintain a moderate sweetness; not overly sweet, but far from bitter.

M: Medium carbonation.

D: Easily drinkable. I offered this to the entire family and found that an overwhelming number of them liked it and couldn't believe that it was a beer. May be a good beer to get people to try other craft beers. I may try a chocolate stout next.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into wine glasses, this beer looked and smelled like raspberry wine with a head.

The smell of raspberries literally filled the kitchen, and then my mouth as I took the first sip. This lambic overwhelms with the taste of the berries, finishing tart.

The flavor makes the beer taste thicker than it really is - it was even described as liquid Jello by my wife. A hint of wheat in the aroma announced that this is indeed beer.

2.93/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours murky scarlet with purple, crimson, and muted copper tones; small pink-white bubbly head leaves very little lacing and has almost no retention. Aroma is overwhelmingly raspberry with a light bitter hint; sweet and sour malt notes are buried deep. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and juicy. Flavor is much the same as the aroma; raspberries overpower in a syrupy sweetness. Some hop bitterness is detectable beneath, but not with any real depth of character. Light malts and leafiness in the finish. Aftertaste is syrupy and sweet with a touch of dryness.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Very impressive... I normally do not like the fruity drinks out there, but this one is great. It pours purple with a nice puffy light purple head. The smell is all raspberry, start to finish. It tastes of raspberries, sweet with a tart finish. The flavor holds to your tongue and it's not a heavy drink like I would have thought prior to the glass. I enjoyed this very much and will drink it again.

Lindemans Framboise from Brouwerij Lindemans