Lindemans Framboise - Brouwerij Lindemans

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  2.50% ABV

2.5-4.0% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-01-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Framboise Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from the bottle a deep cranberry red with a light head.

Strong raspberry aroma with a bit of the yeast as well.

Strong raspberry sweetness upfront and a very tart finish.

Smooth and crisp mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

A very nice lambic though a bit too sweet for me but nice for a change every once in a while.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours an interesting reddish purple with a light violet head (though it doesn’t stick around to long). Fragrant grape must aroma. The thirst-quenching palate features loads of deliciously fruity grape sweetness that is balanced superbly by an equally tasty acidic sour tang.

An absolute pleasure to drink, the sweet and sour components male for a rich but balanced overall flavor. Personally, I prefer more of that classic sour tartness that beers like this one are famous for, but that character was more than adequately represented in this fine example. After all, I had no problem whatsoever through the 750 of this delicious brew.

Highly recommended…

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Got a pitcher of Lindemans Framboise on tap at Brand's in St. Louis (right on the loop, fantastic weather)

Poured a dark plum to cranberry-colored body with a frazzled valentine's day pink head on top. The head was very well retained and left thick, layered lacing down the sides of the flute glass, probably fueled by the fervent carbonation. Aroma was (of course) big on the raspberries, but also had notes of cherry, blackberry, and mango.

Taste was truly exquisite. A sharp, sour note perked up the front of the tongue while a sweeter, fruity taste washed around the sides of the mouth and palate. Mouthfeel was equally as solid, with a medium-light body, excellent carbonation, and a refreshing aftertaste. This lambic drank very well with the meals we had, and since the service was so poor at Brandt's, I got a chance to see how it stood alone as a drinking beer. Verdict: delicious.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Drank from a 750 mL capped and corked bottle purchased at Trader Joe's, Brookline, MA

Poured a clear, dark ruby red (lighter at the edges of the glass) with a three-finger, frothy, bubbly, pink head. Large, irregular patches of lacing coated the glass and remained long after the beer was finished. (If any beer could be described as looking "sexy," this would be it.)

The aroma was beautifully sweet and fruity. Raspberry candy was blatantly apparent along with a faint powdery, mustiness (akin to that of a traditional lambic).

The taste was a nice mix of sweet and tart. Fresh, pureed raspberries dominated from start to finish along with a syrupy sweetness. This sweetness unfortunately became cloying at times. The finish was sour and a touch dry with a noticeable powdery yeastiness and a touch of oak. The resonating sugary aftertaste left a syrupy film in my mouth.

Mouthfeel was heavily carbonated and thinner than expected, yet a touch creamy.

Drinkability of this beer was hurt by the cloying sweetness. If only the sugars could have been toned down a bit, this beer would have been much more enjoyable. (One glass was definitely enough for me.)

While this beer hardly resembled a traditional lambic, it was quite enjoyable nevertheless. It would pair perfectly with a dessert such as a chocolate raspberry torte.

These lambic beers are about the only brews my wife can actually enjoy. I myself enjoy them from time to time too.

Lindemans Framboise is my favorite so far. The raspberries in conjunction to the base lambic create a mouth puckering beverage. It pours with a thin light purple lacy head. The body is nearly opaque, allowing only a slight amount of light to go through. The body retains a dark purple color, comparable to the color of a grape Popsicle. The taste of this brew is well balanced between the fruit juices and the lambic yeasts and wild bacterias. This is very refreshing, but almost so sour it makes my cheeks cave in. This was very interesting, and my wife drank more than half the bottle.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a deep cloudy purple color, with a purplish tinted head that settles quickly. Pleasing fruity aroma. Tastes more like fruit juice than beer to me. Has a nice complex mouthfeel. I expected to taste more of the belgian sour yeasty taste, but the rasperries mask it nicely. Extremely easy to drink. Even my wife could drink this, and she "doesn't like beer." Blasphemer.

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured into a Sommeliers Burgundy Grand Cru

A: cranberry in color - watch it sit and the color deepens

S: Beautiful fresh raspberry aroma with a candy finish

T: sweet upfront with a lot of the raspberry, finish is tangy/tart not too much - the sweetness balances a lot of the tartness out.

M: slightly carbonated - not as much as a wine cooler, a little milder. It’s very thin on the palate

D: Very fruity, sweet beer could possibly be mistaken as a wine cooler to a novice. Very drinkable - could easily throw back a few of these in a sitting. Someone mentioned you could enjoy this with a dark chocolate - I could see that.

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Lindemans Framboise
750ml bottle
Moderate pour in a stein.
Recent brewing, picked 04/07

Poured a bright hazy pinkish red with a large light pink foamy mostly lasting head with good lacing.

Smelt of strong overall strawberry candy with the strawberry wrapper, parts of raspberry, woodsiness, honey.

Flavor was upfront strong sweet raspberry followed by more strong sweet raspberry and moderate sourness on a long finish.

Palate was light to medium bodied, lively carbonated, rich and moderately mouth puckering.

Overall, I am not a big fan of raspberry beers as a whole, but this was intense and fun to experiment with. Not an everyday beer for me, but excellent flavors and aromas nonetheless.

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

I expected a lot from the foil wrapped top over the bottle cap, plus the cork underneath. A little disappointed, but would work great as a dessert drink or for a guest who claims they don't like the taste of beer compared to wine.

Appearance - Very pretty. Thick red ting with a small pinkish head.

Smell - Distinct raspberry. Sweet brew. Tastes great, but was lacking in the normal flavors of beer. Where's the grain, yeast and hops?

Taste - Fruity. Tasted more like a wine cooler than a beer. Excellent with chocolate. Reminded me of a melted fruit popsicle.

Mouthfeel - Pleasant carbonation.

Drinkability - This one might be good for girl's night out, but I couldn't drink more than maybe two in the same night.

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a 12oz. bottle for $4.99 at the local joint. I pick up a bottle once every month or two -- it's the only beer my wife will drink, so I figure it's the one chance I have to share my hobby with her!

Pours a deep red, nice light pink head, good retention, nice lace. Smells FANTASTIC...like pure essense of raspberry, with the carbonation giving it a champagne-like tickle on the nose.

Taste is powerfully sweet, almost as if you made a mimosa with raspberry juice instead of orange juice. Very little hint of beer in there whatsoever, but the fruit taste is very enjoyable. Mouthfeel is very fizzy and carbonated, again more like champagne than beer.

Overall, this is a nice change of pace from the vast majority of beers. Sweet, tart and kinda fun, but after one bottle, I doubt I'd go for two in one sitting.

The Alstrom Bros. review noted it would be a good brunch beer, and I concur. Or dessert, perhaps. It would be superb with dark chocolate or an unadorned cheesecake.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Pours out of the bottle a deep, rich purple color with a large, pink head atop the body. Lots of bubbles and an adequate amount of lace left behind, but not enough IMO.

Smell is very exciting, fresh raspberries and cherries take the foreground, and pretty much dominate the aroma. I could smell this the moment I popped the cork. Very fruity, and very tart with a touch of rose buried inside. There's a slight spiciness coming from something I can't figure out.

Whoa. Taste is incredibly rich with raspberry. The cherries I smelled are definitely there too. This has a great taste, although it's almost so powerful it knocks you back. Wonderfully tart, I was slightly concerned this would be too sweet for me, but most definitely not, very sweet, but the sour cherries keep it well in check. Sort of a champagne aftertaste.

Extremely carbonated and light-bodied. The taste is great and highly refreshing, but I can't see myself drinking more than a glass ever in a sitting.

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

First time trying a framboise lambic. Comes in a corked bottle.

Appears dark purple, with a decent amount of white bubbly head. Plenty of carbonation.

Smells fantastic. Strong scent of raspberries. Very different from any other beer I've ever had. Mouth waters after I inhale deeply a couple times.

A strong, tart, fruity taste, just like raspberries. Perhaps a little too sweet, but I'm probably being picky. Just perfect as far as tartness, not too much acidity. The sweetness and fruitiness would make you think you're drinking a soda, but the level of carbonation and the smoothness ensures that you remember it's a beer.

Very enjoyable drink for anyone who likes raspberries. If you don't, then you won't like it. I'd love to try it with a chocolate dessert sometimes. I like it more than any dessert wine I've had.

Only one minor complaint. I don't think I'd enjoy more than two at a sitting. It would get too sweet for me after a while.

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

Framboise was my first taste of a lambic, and it's certainly sold me on the style.

It pours an incredible deep reddish pink with a frothy pink head, and was very bubbly, more like champagne than a beer. The raspberry odor is definitely not shy - people sitting to either side of me were sniffing, trying to find the berries. At the same time, the raspberry smell isn't overly sweet, but has a tartness to it, like fresh berries.

If someone hadn't told me I was drinking a beer, I'm not sure I would have guessed it from the taste. Strongly raspberry, so very sweet and very tart at the same time. It's fairly carbonated, again reminding me of champagne, but with a thicker, richer texture than champagne.

Framboise is rich enough that it's probably not a beer that you would want to have a half dozen of while watching a ballgame, but if you're fond of sweets or fruit flavors, it would be easy to drink several. And it's an excellent dessert choice - after the first few sips, I added a double-chocolate torte that was somewhere close to perfect with it. I'm looking forward to having this one again - and I'm going to find some other varieties!

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Served in a champagne flute. Ruby grapefruit colored with a pink bubbly head that sinks quickly.

Jammy, fruity aroma of sweet raspberry and honey, some bitter notes.

Sweet raspberry flavor, not cloying, some honey and lemon. Some sour apple and tartness rises up.

Initially a thick mouthfeel, moderate to high carbonation, bubbles tingle in the finish. Crisp dryness lingers, puckers the mouth.

Very drinkable, excellent after-dinner selection.

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

A very pretty brew, pours rasberry red with a pink and purple frothy head. Moderate lacing. Smell is fruity and sweet, tons of syrupy rasberries, some blackberry and apple.

Tastes sweet and syrupy. Rasberries and fresh fruity grape and apple esters No hint of alcohol at all, making it difficult to remember you're not drinking carbonated juice. Mouthfeel is light and bubbly, a champagne of sorts. I will definitely have this one again.

4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

Purple-red color with a thin frothy head on it. The aroma draws you in and makes you want to take a sip; fruity, and a little sour. The taste is a tart pleasure; strong raspberry with a very dry finish. The mouthfeel is great; bubbly and dry like a glass of champagne. The fact that my non-drinking fiancee finds this beer drinkable (well, at least a couple of sips...) speaks wonders about it's drinkability.

Uniform deep red in color with a think layer of dark pink/purple foam.
Aroma is very strong of raspberry and masks any other smell present.
Strong fruity taste. Sweet and sour with little to no bitterness. Excellent desert for the raspberry lover.
Drinkability is average due to the overpowering taste.

served in 5 1/2 ounce sample glass. Excellent in small amounts but not intended for mass consumption

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

Ahh- my old nemesis, the raspberry. All the time I was growing
up, mom always had two long rows of raspberrys growing. The
birds and neighborhood children would get a lot of them, but that
just meant that there were mere gallons and gallons of raspberry
jelly made out of the remains. So we always had it on sandwiches.
On toast. On (the phonetic spelling) schmorna- which is sort of a
scrambled pancake type thing, the pancake chunks sweetened
with, yes, you guessed it, raspberry jelly. I never even knew there
were other kinds until I had strawberry jelly at one of the other kids'
houses. So you can understand my reluctance to taste a Framboise.

Off goes the cap, out comes the cork, and that familiar old smell
wafts out of my bottle of Lindeman's Framboise Lambic.

The pour reveals a pink foamy head over a deep red brew. The nose
is that hated smell of raspberry jelly, the tang of yeast in the background.
The carbonation is moderate, and the flavor is raspberry- sweetness up
front, sort of a vinous tannic middle, and a tart sourish finish. The aftertaste-
raspberry- but much subdued. If you like raspberry-this is the brew for you.
I actually think that if Lindeman's Kriek had been as tart as their Framboise,
I would have liked it a lot better. Ahh well. Despite the fact of my aversion
to that most wicked of fruits- the hated raspberry, I can say that this beer
is surprisingly complex, though I am sure that even if you like raspberrys,
this is not a beer for everyday.

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

750ml bottle.

First off, I can't even count the number of people that have fallen in love with this beer after I had them try it. Of course, some of them had explicitly said that they hated all beer beforehand.

Beautiful rich velvet red color. Pink haze of carbonation overtop.
It has an almost puckering, tart raspberry sweetness..
Fruit beers are typically not my thing at all..and bitter is better in most cases for me...but the sweet does not distract at all from how good this lambic truly is. If anything, this is one of the best dessert beers I've ever tasted.
With such a fresh raspberry taste and deliciously smooth character, how could you not love this beer?

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Capped and corked bottle.
Pours a good looking pink/reddish beer, with a pinkish head.
Smell is obviously heavy on framboise, but is also reminiscent of other fruits, including strawberries and maybe even cherries.
Taste is obviously dominated by framboise/raspberries, but there is also a marked tartness that balances it very well.
Medium-bodied, and of course, meant for dessert, so not exactly a session beer.
Great dessert beer, like most Lindemans'.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

355 ml green, corked, and capped bottle. Poured into a Belgian-style chalice.

There was a quickly-fading pinkish head. Color was dark red and cloudy.

Smell is mostly of raspberry with grainy notes in the background.

Taste is of all raspberry up front. Esters and sweetness are prevalent. Champagne taste also present.

Very tasty and easy to drink. I will buy this again.

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Big bottle, corked and capped.

Treated this like champagne in the chill, the glasses used and the pour.

Let me admit straight off that my review is likely to be outside the first standard deviation, because I simply love this stuff. Perhaps my palate is utterly untrained, but I can't help it: I love it.

Gorgeous red-pink-purple beer under a thin pink lid that fades in a little while to a ring. Some minimal lacing. Still, the color is simply divine. I wish my wife had a night-gown this color!

Smell is like sticking your face into a bucket of raspberries. If you like fruit beer, you'll be in heaven with this one. Far more aromatic than the peche or the pomme. There is also a fascinating pair of added aromas: first is a nice tea-rose fragrance, and then an intriguing pipe-tobacco smell. Not tobacco smoke, but rather just the smell of the tobacco itself. Quite pleasant.

The taste follows the aroma to a "T," with the rose and tobacco notes being slightly more pronounced than on the nose. Nice depth of flavor, with the rose taste coming up a bit as the beer warns. This is DEE-freakin'-LICIOUS!!

Mouthfeel is surprisingly round and slurpalicious considering the lack of head and minimal lacing.

At just 4.0%, this is a beer I could drink non-stop if it weren't for the cost: that's the only thing that keeps this from being a 5.0 in drinkability.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%

Red kool-aid color with a white head. Huge raspberry odor, not very beer like in any way. Taste is very sweet raspberries like candy. A little bit of the lambiccy beer flavor comes through on the finish with some cherries, but really not very much. Really, if you;re drinking this beer, its because you want to drink a carbonated raspberry drink, not anything that really resembles a beer. still, it does what it sets out to do i guess.

3.45/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A very "non-beer" kind of beer, but good none-the-less. It's a hazy red color, with a small pink head. Nose is sweet fresh raspberries, and slight yeast. Taste is sweet and tart raspberry, with yeast in the finish. Could use some malt or hop flavor to convince of "Beery-ness." Instead we get pounded with "Berry-ness." Mouthfeel is decent. Drinkability is pretty decent, considering the low ABV and pleasant flavor, but the sweetness hurts it a bit. You couldn't drink too much unless you have a sweet tooth.

4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

If I had drank this in the factory bars I hung out in 30 years ago, I’d have gotten my ass kicked. And trying to convince all the PBR drinking rednecks that it was "beer" would have gotten me killed.

That being said, this is a most interesting drink. It poured to the strangest color for beer I’ve ever had....a bright ruby red color with a pink head that lingered for a while, but left no lacing. Nose was strongly sweet raspberry, and the flavor was exactly the same. Mouthfeel was tingling, and carbonated, like the old style strawberry soda pop.

The thing I liked most about this drink was the finish, which reminded me of a Flemish Sour....sour to begin with, but quickly turning sweet, and this became more pronounced as the beer warmed.

This would not be a session beer by any means, and I will not even drink it very often. But as a once-in-a-while, special occasion novelty beer, this is damn good.

Lindemans Framboise from Brouwerij Lindemans