Lindemans Framboise - Brouwerij Lindemans

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  2.50% ABV

2.5-4.0% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-01-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Framboise Alström Bros
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

Deep scarlet with maraschino cherry highlights. The light pink head is exceptionally small due to a gentle caress of a pour. My second and final pour was vigorous and I received a frothy one finger cap for my efforts. Framboise looks for all the world like red pop. The nose is intensely fruity and smells like concentrated essence of crushed, sweetened raspberries. It is, by far, the most powerfully fruity nose of any beer that I've ever had the pleasure to sniff.

Thankfully, the beer tastes exactly like it smells. There's only one flavor here and that is... raspberries! It's simple, it's direct, it's flavorful, it's the liquid essence of the fruit. There's a delightful balance between sweet and tart, making it marginally less sweet than the Melbourne Bros. fruit beers. I think I like it better for that very reason. My sense is that I'd prefer a lambic that's even more tart and less sweet. The energetic carbonation lightens what could otherwise have been a heavy, syrupy mouthfeel.

Like all such beers, Lindemans Framboise is probably best consumed in single bottle portions due to the high sugar content. The price is also limiting; I think I paid in the neighborhood of $6 for this 12 oz. bottle. Since my lambic knowledge/experience is still in its infancy, I thought that I'd start here. I'm really looking forward to taking the training wheels off and getting into the 'racing bike' lambics as soon as possible. It should be a fun ride.

09-26-2004 20:32:01 | More by BuckeyeNation
oracle

Indiana

3.3/5  rDev -14.5%

12 oz bottle served in a tradition tulip ale glass

This was my first adventure into the realm of belgian lambics. With no idea of what to expect, I poured this beer into a glass.

Before I could even get an ounce poured into the glass, the overpowering aroma of rasberries hit me like a slap across the face. Overpoweringly sweet and strong aroma. Are lambics supposed to be this sweet?

Color was a dark cloudy red. Not amber like many ales, not mahogany like a good barleywine. RED. shockingly RED.

With some trepidation, I took the first sip. Not bad, not bad at all. It is sweet and does taste overpoweingly of rasberries. Smooth flavor all the way through and the sweetness does not become cloying, as I sort of expected it to. They undertones of the malt and other beer flavors are very very faint, but if you're patient, they are there.

Thank god the carbonation is at a minimum. Otherwise, this would seem more like a rasberry soda pop.

I think I would would like it a little better with a little less rasberry.

09-21-2004 02:11:07 | More by oracle
claytri

Maryland

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

It pours a beautiful bright dark red violet. It is slightly translucent and brimming with sediment. The smell is straightforward of a spritzy rasberry punch. The taste delivers a full bodied smooth sweet beer with plenty of rasberry with a good bit of effervesence. It is smooth and oily in the mouth with a nice bubble to it. A great sweet fruit beer and when I'm in the mood a definate choice.

09-19-2004 03:09:26 | More by claytri
Dithyramb

Maryland

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Purchased for my wife the other night while out at dinner. $8 for any lambics at Red Star here in Baltimore. She hadn't had any of these since she was in Belgium a few years back. Presentation was in the bottle as pictured; foil and cork with no freshness date. The waiter actually opened and presented the beer like a fine wine.

Poured a deep ruby red with a large bubbled purple head. It quickly dissipated into a clinging ring around the edge of the wine glass. (After that presentation, and their limited glass selection, we stuck with the theme.)

Deep raspberry sugar aroma. The flavor is a nice raspberry sweetness upfront, with a nice tart finish. If someone made a perfect raspberry cola, this is exactly the way it should taste. One wouldn't know that this necessary was a beer. Nice carbonation with a clean mouthfeel and finish. Very drinkable. I think I need to take her back to Europe...

09-18-2004 20:19:44 | More by Dithyramb
Hunter

Arizona

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Bottle was both corked and capped. Interesting.

After application of both sides of my bottle opener I was able to get to the beer.

It pours a rich purple in color, with a small head of tight purplish bubbles. Frothy but quick to dissipate.

The smell is luxuriant. Fresh sweet raspberries, Jolly Rancher candies, and the barest whiff of malt.

Taste is little different than fruit juice. Crisp, refreshing notes of fruit settle on the tongue immediately. There is a subtle texture to this that allows the taste to cling to the tongue and lips, providing a nice aftertaste. The malt is subtle but it manages to speak up in the swallow, coming out less like a beer and more like cereal. But the overwhelming influence is the berries.

The style is unusual, that's for sure. I found it difficult to decide if I was really drinking an alcoholic beverage and not just fizzy fruit juice (and the cost was too prohibitive to buy several and see the results of drinking them all at once), but for a change of pace this is nice. I think I'd rather have a cider when push comes to shove, but this is tasty enough.

08-30-2004 23:39:52 | More by Hunter
Pegasus

4.95/5  rDev +28.2%

Appearance: Crystal-clear ruby color with a small pink (!) head, fast rising champagne-like carbonation and thick, glass-coating lace.

Aroma: Absolutely profound aroma of freshly-picked raspberries and cream with an ancillary musty, sour note, possibly an artifact of the lambic process.

Taste: Sharp, tangy, mouth-watering juicy raspberries dominate with an underlying tart, sour note. Finishes with a slightly musty note and a fairly strong wave of alcohol.

Mouth feel: Smooth and very full, almost syrupy, with a distinct puckering quality from the tart and sour flavors.

Drinkability/notes: An utterly superb lambic. Words fail to convey the grandeur of this spectacular beer. This is most assuredly not a session beer, rather it shines as an aperitif or dessert selection and will dazzle the ladies. Thanks to BA Hardtarget for sharing this wonderful beer.

08-23-2004 03:32:07 | More by Pegasus
WetCoaster

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

This guy's been sitting around for quite a while--I guess it's time to explore the, er, fruity side.

Appearance: An almost glowing raspberry magenta with a slightly rocky, short-lived, pure white head. A bit silty. Some lacing and sticky legs on the glass wall.

Smell: Easiest thing I've ever reviewed: raspberries, blooming in all directions, slightly sweet, slightly tart. The last pour had some yeast funkiness, but it was fighting a losing battle.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Again, no surprises: raspberries, plain and simple. A very (too?) sweet, syrupy flavor with a tart, sugar-sour finish. The yeast imparts very little flavor until the very end, where it adds a bit of complexity, although again, not much. The mouthfeel is light but quite sticky, with sharp, almost fizzy carbonation.

Drinkability: It's very light and sweet with huge fruit flavor; I'm sure kids would love it. That said, it's way too sugary and sticky to drink much of.

Well, it certainly is what it proports to be. I was disappointed in its simplicity, though. For all that goes into it--wild yeast, spontaneous fermentation, corking--the end result isn't much different than a $1.25 raspberry wine cooler from the local 7-11. It's good, but there's not much to it.

08-10-2004 23:14:39 | More by WetCoaster
AllThingsNinja

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Reddish pinkish with happy mild foam. Lindeman's is a sweet, raspberry treat of a beer. It may even be too sweet, but it seemed a pleasant desert compliment with the wafting raspberry aroma, and a more complex flavor profile with some interesting sour notes to compliment the full bore fruity sweetness. I dug it, and will again dig it.

08-08-2004 13:03:36 | More by AllThingsNinja
Bierguy5

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

From the corked bottle pours a deep purple/burgundy cloudy liquid with a pinkish/lavender fluffy head. The head stayed for some time, and left a tremendous amount of lace on the glass. Smells like raspberries and a touch musty. The taste is a wonderful sweet and tart combo, with an abundance of berries. Dry aftertaste with no bitterness at all. Light body, with lots of carbonation. Overall, this beer is a real treat. Very sweet, so you might not drink this all night, but it sure seems to be a wonderful beer.

08-01-2004 04:14:03 | More by Bierguy5
ramrod666

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

I bought this again to try for review. Pours a brilliant ruby red with a small quickly fading head. smell is overwhelmingly raspberry.
taste is even more raspberries with a lot of carbonation. I'm glad that i like raspberries because tha tis exactly what i got. a little syrupy in the mouth but drinkable to say the least. a great dessert beer.

06-27-2004 23:40:45 | More by ramrod666
cbl2

Appearance:

Pours a brilliant cloudy red-pink with rapidly settling pink head.

Smell:

Fresh raspberries predominate.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Mouth puckeringly tart, yet so delicious. Like feasting on fresh fruit. This is an extraordinary brew that has become a Christmas tradition due to its excellence.

06-18-2004 19:32:38 | More by cbl2
PorterLambic

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%

I really love this beer! Although I realize that it is a bit sweeter than most other lambics, I can't say no to it.
Nice red, almost maroon, color, bubbles build a head like champagne. No head remains after a moment and no lace to speak of.
The smell is amazing, a friend refers to it as a "nosegasm" and she's right. Absolutely one of the best things about it is the strong, sweet, obvious raspberry smell.
The first sip reinforces the smell, delivering exactly as promised. This beer drinks, and should be drunk like, champagne. A liquid dessert.
Mouthfeel is a bit weaker than expected but not overly so.
Drink this anytime you want to celebrate or just enjoy a treat for yourself. I have used this specific brew to introduce numerous people who "can't stand beer" to the grains we love. They all now spread the word of this fine brew.

06-03-2004 22:45:48 | More by PorterLambic
99bottles

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

355 mL bottle. Capped, corked and wrapped in foil.

Appearance: Whoa. This is a deep purple beer, with a very effervescent body and a thin head of purple-stained white.

Smell: Absoultely drenching smell of fresh rasberries. I have a few rasberry bushes myself, and I actually think that it smelled more of a rancid, older berry that has stayed on the vine too long. Slight fermented smell, very rich and sweet.

Taste: Unlike anything else I've ever had. This reminds me of soda. Very light in mouth, almost champagne like carbonation. The incredible sweetness and syrupy feel is well balanced with a satisfying tartness. Difficult to discern other tastes, except for faint fermented earthiness/mold.

Mouthfeel: Light and lively, like champagne or soda.

Drinkability: These are very good. I would have as many as possible, but it really lacks the feel of beer. I could see this being a hit with the ladies. Not a session beer in any sense of the phrase. Tasty but expensive.

05-29-2004 20:49:38 | More by 99bottles
Dukeofearl

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

A Corked & capped bottle with an interesting gunshot sound & gunsmoke when opened. Pours a deep, opaque ruby-purple. A medium-sized purple head collapses into a patchy covering in a few minutes. There is very little obvious carbonation. The aroma is sweet berries offset but a sour unripe berry nose. The flavor reminded me of Hansen's fruit juice/soda with raspberry and cranberry reminders. Berries, berries, and more berries with a sharp aftertaste and lingering tartness. Some fizzy soda pop notes.

A little goes a long way. Good enough, but not my style....

05-26-2004 23:33:24 | More by Dukeofearl
finepaws

4.97/5  rDev +28.8%

Is this beer??? My tastes lie in the chocolate/nut/coffee category, but on a reccomendation I tried this beer. I can't really add anything more to what has been said about this beer, but I kept trying to figure out what it reminded me of. I couldn't keep saying rasberry champagne, yet that was a lot what it was like. Beautiful burgandy/merlot color with fizzle bubbles up the sides. I did pour it into a tulip glass, can't remember, was that correct? The smell was fresh picked rasberries. But the taste was described, finally, by another reviewer, they pegged it as koolaid without sugar. Yet it was sweet. But not too much so. Very smooth to drink. Tart, but not. Lingered on your lips too. And as it looks like everyone agrees, at $5.99 a bottle, it kicked! Glad I went with this one. A very special treat. I know what I'm giving for Christmas...

05-22-2004 03:09:07 | More by finepaws
SilentSabre

North Dakota

4.83/5  rDev +25.1%

This was my first time trying lambic, and I must say, I was tremendously impressed. It poured a dark red burgundy/purple colour with a purple-ish grey head the faded away rather quickly. The smell is absolutley powerful of raspberry. Not just a hint of fruitiness or trace amounts of berries. It smells as though someone took a liquid filled berry scented air freshener, broke it open, and emptied the contents into the glass. Being a fan of fruit and berries, I really liked this quit alot. It is, however, certainly not for everyone. The taste was quite sweet and nearly equally strong of raspberries, as well. The only normal or otherwise typical beer-like characteristic I could detect was a bit of breadiness in the smell, and a tiny amount in the taste. This is certainly unlike anything I have every before tried in the way of beer and ale and certainly for the better.
It isn't too terribly carbonated and seems quite easy to drink. If you like fruity tasting things, I strongly recommend this one.

05-19-2004 04:02:09 | More by SilentSabre
Trentonator

Kansas

3.35/5  rDev -13.2%

This was my first foray into the Lambic arena. I love the appearance of the beer, as it was served (on tap) in a beautiful Lindeman's flute glass with a gold rimmed top and flowery artwork. Holding the beer up to the light reveals a brilliant majestic purple and red, truly remarkable. Smell is very strong raspberry, and the head dissipates quickly. Very bubbly, almost like champagne. Taste is very tart, in your face and not going away. I winced when I took my first sip, this is not a beer for the faint hearted. Mouthfeel was very sweet, almost reminded me of a kool aid with no sugar added. I could only drink one, it was tasty, but a little goes a long way.

05-11-2004 01:30:41 | More by Trentonator
stewart124

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Blood red appearance with a slight fizzy head. Loads of raspberries hit the nose and a very sweet fruity aroma. Tastes of candied fruits with a raspberry background that envelops the tastebuds. Very very sweet tastes and a clean feel that bites the tongue. For me this was overally sweet and sugary. The fizziness to this was almost too much to overcome as well. All in all this was too sweet for my liking but I'd still like to try the rest of their selection.

04-28-2004 21:56:40 | More by stewart124
Mitchster

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours out to a clear deep garnet, forming a thin pink head with minimal retention and no lacing. There is firmly cemented yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Aroma is of freshly-picked juicy red raspberries, not concentrate or syrup, but fresh-picked, followed by a dry dustiness. Not much else going in on the the aroma, but this alone is good enough. Carbonation is medium-strong. Mouthfeel is very spritzy and tart with a light body and tart finish. Taste is concentrated with tart red raspberries, followed by a firm sourness and a touch of earthiness. Finish is crisp, clean, and tart. No appreciable off-flavors. Adding the yeast makes the characteristic Belgium basement funk becomes appreciable.

Very simple, yet very good. It's hard to believe this is brewed with malt and hops, and hence would make a good introduction brew to "beer haters". This stuff is so concentrated and sweet, however, I would hard-pressed to drink more than one. Would go great over vanilla-bean ice-cream.

04-17-2004 15:11:06 | More by Mitchster
flaminghomer

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev +1%

beautiful beer, i didn't know that it poured a transparent deep red. i was expecting only hints of red. the smell is champange like. very fruity with sour apple.taste is the same. not as complex as i thought it might be. good raspberry and apple taste. i'd go into further detail, but at 5.99 a bottle i'd rather enjoy without distractions.

04-14-2004 10:28:25 | More by flaminghomer
Ieatlambfries

In all fairness I have never tried this style before this bottle, so my rating is being based on my taste. Not against others in the category.

That being said I was pleasantly surprised by this Lambic. The appearance was a beautiful deep ruby red, with a very small head that did not hang around more than a few seconds. The bubbles seemed almost artificial or soft drink like. The smell was raspberries and oh so light alcohol in the background. The taste was like raspberry perfume, and not only hit your tongue but also permeated your sinuses. There is also a bitter tart finish with a slight hint of alcohol. Mouthfeel was good, with a biting fizz that matched the tartness of the raspberry flavor. I gave the drinkability a good rating as well. This stuff goes down easy, although too sweet for my taste, but I would guess normal for the style. All in all a pleasant experience. I have always wanted to try this style, and was not disappointed in what I found.

04-04-2004 23:59:10 | More by Ieatlambfries
Tballz420

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

This brew is a deep red almost purple color, a cloudy body, and has a pink head on top. Theres lots of little bubbles rising to the top. Present is a massive rasberry scent, and the taste of this brew is mainly comprised of a very acidic rasberry flavor. The tounge comes alive when this brew hits it. If you like the taste of rasberrys, then you will definately enjoy this brew.

03-22-2004 23:41:30 | More by Tballz420
gentlebubbles

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

on tap at Brew City

Served in a darling 8 oz flute with a gold rim and Lindeman emblems. Ruby glow and precious pink foam on top.

Everyone at the table can smell raspberries. Brilliant, fresh raspberry flavor with a sour finish. Ulimately, it's so sweet, you can't drink much, just sip. Just right for dessert.

03-21-2004 19:40:30 | More by gentlebubbles
Foxman

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

It pours a dark murky red, with too much purple and too vivid to be called ruby. There's a quick and short-lived head, the color of a Valentine's card. There's static, sticky lacing.

So, what is the aroma? Hmmmm...let me see....maybe...raspberry? It's tart and sweet, as though I crushed the fruit between my fingers and then brought them to my nose. And beyond raspberry, well, that's pretty much it. But it's a good raspberry!

The flavor is raspberries, first, last, and always! The pungent sweetness washes over the tongue and puckers the cheeks, dominating fully and sweetly. There's a slightly earthy, musky note about midway before the fruit tartness asserts all over again. At the finish is a faint, barely discernible sourness reminding you of the yeast's presence, but then is quickly gone.

Really just medium bodied, its dense sweetness leaves a thick, syrupy feel, and pretty much numbs the tongue to any competitive flavor elements.

It's really quite simple-if you don't like raspberries, you won't like this. It so happens, though, that I love them! Still, it's so sweet and tart that it could have some limits on how much I'd drink. Yet, the flavor is a wonderful departure from so many other beers, so I'd gladly enjoy this, in moderation, but not too stricly so, if only to keep my insulin level where it belongs. OK, I felt the need to brush my teeth after this beer to prevent instant decay, but the bottom line is it's tart and tasty, and I'll gladly partake whenever the mood strikes me.

03-04-2004 15:53:19 | More by Foxman
RoyalT

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance – I’m just starting to try this style so excuse my surprise, but man is this thing red. Purple-red, really, exactly like a raspberry. The head is the same damn color. It all looks cool as heck, though.

Smell – This has a very pungent aroma. The raspberries are pure and jump right out of the glass. I can’t smell anything except that strong raspberry aroma.

Taste – This is sweet and super sour raspberries, like a Shock Tart. I recently gave up eating hard candy, which I love, for dental reasons but this brings it all back. Terrific!

Mouthfeel – The lip-smacking cheek-sucking sweet and sour candy notes make you stand up and take note. This is light to medium in the body and a real “holder.”

Drinkability – I’m convinced! I loved this stuff.

02-22-2004 02:25:35 | More by RoyalT