Lindemans Framboise - Brouwerij Lindemans

good

Brouwerij Lindemans visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  2.50% ABV

2.5-4.0% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-01-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lindemans Framboise Alström Bros
2.65/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I shared a borrle of this with a friend of mine at a christmas party last night and took a few notes..

This is a nice looking beer if you can get past the color. it's somewhere between maroon and purple. A big fluffy pinkish head that stayed and laced the glass nicely.

The berry aroma was overpowering. It was like smelling a berry soda pop.

This didn't taste like any lambic I'd ever had (not that I've had that many) The rasberry flavor was over the top. It really was like a soda pop. There seemes like the tiniest bit of the musty lambic notes I was hoping to find, but I may have been imagining them. The flavor reminded me of Andre Cold Duck more than anything else.

The mouthfeel was pretty decent. A very dry and light body.

I probably won't drink this again. Too much of a wine cooler, not enough of a beer.

cjhofelt, Dec 24, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

This is a really big departure from my usual fare. The smell is very rich, almost can picture the big fat red raspberries. Kind of smells like burnt tires. Taste is tarty and fruity, wet horseblanket undertone (I got that from the Alstrom Bros review but man it's there!). Very drinkable and fun - almost soda with a kick!

baxterbrew, Dec 23, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

Wow! This is dessert in a bottle. Like raspberry syrup with carbonation. A definite departure from a traditional beer. It was very sweet, but the freshness of the raspberries made it easy and pleasant to drink. I could only have one bottle of this in a sitting, for fear of going into sugar shock. A great one to try however, especially after dinner. Would pair excellent with Brie cheese.

alysmith4, Dec 23, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottle bought from State Line and poured into Das Festhaus pint.

Where I live, I have to pay $10.00/bottle at the bar, or $110.00/case. Neither is good for such a sweet beer. State line charges half that much for a bottle. My wife loves this beer, so if I find it cheaper, I usually get as much as I can.

A: Beautiful deep, dark ruby red with a bubbly pink head. Good lacing.

S: Strong scent of sour raspberries, as expected.

T: Raspberries, more sweet than sour. Sweeter than the Kriek. Good amount of oak flavor also.

M: High carbonation and slightly syrupy.

D: This may be slightly too sweet for some, but if you can handle it, this is a great drink. It is hard to call it a beer, though.

My wife likes wine and I like beer, so we frequently take this or the Kriek when we dine out. It pairs very well with most desserts offered at nicer resturants.

guinnessfan, Dec 18, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +13%

Ah, Lindemans Framboise. I picked up a bottle of this and the Peche last month and they have been sitting in my fridge since then. I finally got around to drinking the Framboise tonight.

The beer pours a deep red color, almost like a red wine, but with a slight head. The aroma is a wonderful burst of raspberries. It does taste sweet, due to the raspberries, and really isnt the sort of beer that one would drink every day, but the flavor is great

I find it to be a good beer for after dinner.

perfectkaos, Dec 14, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Wanted to have my girlfriend try this style. I have been slowly getting her into beer. She is a wine girl mostly. Paired it with a dark chocolate cake with chocolate sauce inside.
Bought it by the 12oz. bottle early in the meal so as to warm it just a little. The bottle topped by a wine cork piqued her interest just enough to get us talking about lambic. Once we uncorked the smell of fresh raspberry was very apparent. Pouring into a pint glass for lack of a better choice allowed us to see the rich purple color which seemed darker then most stouts I've enjoyed.
First taste was surprisingly sweet followed by the distinct tartness I associate with lambic styled brews. Lots of oak and berry in this one. No earthen flavorings I could detect. Very firm like a mouth full of crushed berries. Almost expected to find the little seeds stuck in my teeth. After a few more sips and some chocolate cake the overall flavor changed mostly to the tart almost sour you get from welch's grape juice. (no comparison of flavors just that pucker you get)
Needless to say it was good and she enjoyed. Makes three beers she likes when she swore she hated beer altogether.

Envious, Dec 11, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

355ml green bottle purchased at A-1 To-Go in Gardiner (after putting off buying one for a while...) Dark pinkish purple almost opaque body with about a finger of pink head. Smells entirely of raspberries. Tastes like raspberries almost entirely. Sweet and sour flavor. No hops to speak of. Medium to full in body. Tastes more like pop than beer though. A decent drink though. Not something I'd have all the time, but very drinkable and enjoyable. Surprised how much I like it, despite the fact that I'm not much of a raspberry fan.

MrHurmateeowish, Nov 19, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The pour into my rarely-used Lindemans flute raises a thin but eternal purple-pink head that leaves thick and slow-moving lacing. The body is a translucent ruby-purple. A truly beautiful ale. The nose is of course loadec with sharp, sour raspberries, but also sugar, and funky lambicness. The taste is initially very sweet, but with a sour backing. Sweet raspberries throughout. Ends with lingering sweetness and raspberry goodness. The taste is not incredibly sour, but you can feel the acid the entire time and into the stomach (I took antacid beforehand). After a few sips, I manage to notice a bit of mustiness in both the smell and taste. Very likeable, although the acid definitely causes problems for me. The mouth is medium, with also medium carbonation. Great to share a twelve ouncer with two or more people and some cheesecake!

mjc410, Nov 07, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +20.8%

Details- 355ml bottle, poured into one of my crazy looking flute glasses.

Appearance- Deep red with a small, slightly pink head. A small amount of bubbles rise to the top.

Smell- Raspberry jam. Not a necessarily fresh raspberry smell, but very jam-like (I imagine this jam to have seeds). That's about all there is to the smell.

Taste- Raspberry jam with little hints of beer. A bit of tartness to keep it interesting. Just a bit of acidity. I hate to dish out 5's, especially for taste, but my favorite food is raspberry and my favorite beverage beer... I'm pretty sure that this is even more raspberry than raspberries themselves, and yet somehow it can be classified as a beer too. I find that amazing.

Mouthfeel- Somewhat thick and syrupy, good carbonation, but I think a little more would be beneficial.

Drinkability- Simply delicious. Some think it taste too fake, but it tastes good to me and is easier to drink than most juices- yet it is somehow beer. I like beer.

On another note, I've had this on both tap and from the bottle. Both are delicious, but on-tap seemed slightly better and fresher tasting. Head seemed to last longer too, but I have no notes from that session to prove it.

lpayette, Oct 18, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

Didn't feel like really drinking anything too heavy, so I cracked open a bottle of this. Last time I had this it had been on tap. Thought it was just capped, but lo, a cork lurks beneath. Tough to get that out, even with a cork screw. Took a few "drillings."

Lovely color and carbonation. Look fantastic pouring into the glass as the head quickly dissipates. Red liquid and fizzy foamy now you see it now its gone pink head. Lacing sticks to the glass.

Smell is sweet razz, and is better than the taste. Taste is oh so very sweet. Good mouthfeel, highly drinkable, but that sweetness kind of puts the brakes on things after a glass or two.

I do like this, under the right conditions, but a big bottle of this is a bit much for one person. Kind of like slamming a litre of Mountain Dew. Its nice, but a glass will do ya.

Onibubba, Oct 10, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

Wow! I don't remember this beer being so, well, red. It pours a deep, almost opaque, maroon with a pinkish head that quickly dissolves into an uneven ring of bubbles.

Sharp raspberry fragrence with minimal beer characteristics. Not a whole lot besides except for a sweet smell that doesn't appear to be fruit-related.

Damn! Once again, it's sooo much sweeter than I recall; I haven't had this since my earlier drinking days & I've got to say this is almost like soda now. Not nearly as tart as it should be & simply lacks any real complexity.

Feels nice enough to drink & frankly, I really like this, I just don't think much of it as a beer. I would drink this in place of a mixed fruit drink in a hot, summer enviornment or give this to friends who don't like beer. Bottom line; tasty drink, below-average beer.

malcontent, Oct 08, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured from a green 750 mL capped, corked, and foiled bottle.

A- Deep red much like a wine. Pink froathy head.

S- Huge amount of smell. Raspberry fills the air.

T- Wow. too much for me. There is not a hint of anything resembling beer in here. It's like drinking fruity wine. Overwhelmingly sweet and tart. I can hardly finish it.

M- Very sweet, rather tart. Makes you salivate as you drink it.

D- Way too fruity and tart for me. I would drink this out of something very small like a cordial glass or something. No need to drink more than a few sips.

Rudgers73, Oct 08, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

This beer was leftover from my sister-in-law, and I needed to clean up some space in my cellar fridge so I thought I would review it. This is my favorite of the Lindemans line, though I am not a big fan.

The beer looks nice enough. Pours to a dark red rasberry color. Has a nice thin pink head. Recedes to a film, but leaves a decent lacing.

The smell is good as well. Strong rasberry aroma with only a slight acidic tartness. Very musty and sweet.

The taste is good at first, but it gets to be too much. Very strong rasberry flavor. Sweet with a strong tartness. To me, Lindemans sweetened lambics are like when a hippie wears patchouli to cover up the smell of their body odor.

The body is fairly thin and sharply carbonated. The strong sweetness and the tart flavors do not blend well. I can usually only get through about half of one 330 mL bottle.

neonbrown82, Sep 29, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

This beer poured a dark ruby red, and looked to have a slightly syrupy consistency.
It had an intense raspberry aroma. The taste is crisp, sweet, somewhat mellow, and tastes intensly of raspberries. The finish was slightly bitter, like apple skin or blackberry seeds. The beer is very nicly carbonated and feels great in the mouth. Overall I found this beer to be light and refreshing, but too sweet for me to drink on a regular basis.

geetlord, Sep 25, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

This was my first Belgian Beer. The idea of fruit in beer didn't sound that great but I was quite surprised. It poured a dark red and had a strong raspberry smell. My wife thought it was wine, till she saw the small head of pink foam.

Raspberries dominated the taste with a slight tart after taste. Mouth feel was a bit syrupy sweet with a thick consistency. Nice beer to have with the Mrs. since it doesn’t actually smell like beer. She doesn't like the brewery smell. That alone spells out I'll be having another one of these in the future.

SudNut, Sep 16, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours dark red with a pink head that soon descends to a creamy pink swirl.

The smell is of fresh raspberries with an underlying tartness and a hint of sourness.

The taste is of fresh raspberries. Tart and sour in the body balance out the sweetness well.

Syrupy with a somewhat dry finish. The taste of raspberries holds up well.

Delicious, drinkable, and a good example of the style.

jwc215, Sep 09, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours into a Lindemans flute a very dark, deep red with a thick rose-colored head. Head quickly dissipades, but leaves a nice thick lacing.

Smells of raspberries and sour yeast.

Sour raspberries dominate throughout. Very little complexity, and if it is it's completely covered by the raspberries. Pleasant, but simple.

Sharp, tarty and crisp mouthfeel. Very sweet and goes down smooth.

Phocion, Sep 09, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

(Edit: I understood that this beer was 2.5% abv, not 4.0%)

Very red and dark with a rose-colored head and tiny bubbles. Some head retention and lacing, surprising for such a sugary beer.

Smell is of extreme raspberry candy. I mean extreme.

Taste is raspberry all the way. Sugary and the slightest tart bite. All in all, taste is pretty one-dimentional, but simplicity can be a good thing.

Feels nice in the mouth from the fine carbonation.

Drinkablity is okay; it's gets worse as you drink more because it is simply so sweet and sugary. Expect hairy teeth and sleep after this one.

This is an excellent one to use to convert the beer-haters. My cosmo-drinking girlfriend loves it. By the way, drinking it doesn't make you less of a man!

rayjay, Aug 26, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

Very hazy, tawny red colour with a generous, bright pink head off the pour. Bubbles were of various sizes, but the fine ones tended to stick to the glass. The aroma was full of ripe raspberries with a bit of earthiness that reminded me of seeds. There's a lot of sweetness in this beer, but it's needed to balance the fruity tartness. Hiding under the fresh raspberries is a bit of barnyard earthiness. The finish is quite short with just a little tartness lingering. Medium bodied with a bit of stickyness, yet still drying on the palate. The carbonation is a bit lively, but not overdone. I liked this quite a bit and so did my wife. We agreed it would be great accompanying dessert, but it easily stands on its own.

DrJay, Aug 25, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

12oz bottle into brandy snifter, no exp. date.

Pours a cloudy dark ruby red, almost purple color. The head is frothy, and a pastel-pink color that settles into a fuzzy cap.

The aromas dance with raspberry sherbert and wine. No standard beer aromas to be found.

The taste is sweet and raspberry like with no detection of malts or hops. Tart like a sweet wine.

Medium bodied with a tart finish. Not much carbonation noticeable.

This is a very drinkable beer, especially with its sweet characteristics. While you're at the store buying your Russian Imperial Stout, pick-up a six pack of this for your girlfriend.

BeerSox, Aug 25, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

This beer pours a beautiful purple color with a pink head. The smell is all raspberries- awesome. The taste is also dominated by the raspberries and is both sweet and tart, farily balanced. Medium mouthfeel and very nicely carbonated. Overall this is great stuff. I wouldn't want to drink more than one of these at a time though.

burnstar, Aug 22, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a corked bottled into a thin flute. Appearance was a deep purple, with a think, pink, rosy head. Lots of lacing and a very elegant looking beer. Smell was tart raspberries and taste was tart raspberries - very acidic. Fairly easy to drink, but the acidity can be hard to deal with. Overall, a drinkable beer with champagne like qualities.

jhu1995, Aug 19, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

On tap at the Chestnut in Sharon, Pennsylania.

Appearance: Served in a tall and thin wine glass, if that makes any sense. A little cold coming out of the tap unfortunately, so I imagine that contributed to the brew having little traces of a off-red head. Beautiful dark purple with red highlights, as if raspberries were mashed and put directly into the glass.

Smell: Aromatic as all hell, with raspberry puree-like smells wafting up from the glass. Mild phenolic characteristics as it warms, with some earthiness. Some tartness and sweetness is evident and beautifully in your face.

Taste: Pretty awesome combination of sweetness and tartness from the rasperries. Mild phenols. There's enough tartness to make it well-balanced and so it's not overly sweet, but not enough so it's like a gueze.

Mouthfeel: A little syrupy, but warranted, as the sips shouldn't be huge. Coating and pleasant overall.

Drinkability: I haven't had many lambics and I'm not an expert, but this is one of the better ones I've had. Great for a dessert brew or something in the morning. I know girlfriends and wives of friends who drink this stuff like candy, and to me that makes sense.

asabreed, Aug 11, 2006
4.85/5  rDev +26%

I've had this several times before, but this is the first time reviewing.

If there is a quintessential raspberry lambic beer, this has got to be it.

The beer pours a beautiful reddish purple into an oversized wine glass. It looks like liquid raspberries. A nice layer of mauve colored foam caps this beer, and remains throughout the glass.

The aroma is unbelieveable. It smells like a bowl of fresh picked raspberries. Sweet, tangy, fresh. My mouth is watering.

The taste doesn't disappoint. It really blows me away. Surprisingly, it's not nearly as sweet as one would expect. It reminds me of fresh pressed raspberries, freshly picked and juiced. Someone has finally figured out how to capture fresh fruit in a liquid form.

Mouthfeel is fairly carbonated, and tingles the tongue. The tartness comes through and cleans the palate nicely after each sip.

Overall, extremely drinkable. This is not a style of beer that I could sit and drink all afternoon, however as an apertif or with dessert it doesn't get much better.

Absolutely phenomenal lambic and very highly recommended. Granted, lambics are quite different than other styles of beers, so you should drink these with that in mind.

doppelmeup, Aug 10, 2006

Taste is universally good like candy. I could drink 10 of these. I would if they weren't 6 dollars a bottle. This is like a dessert in itself. Nice strong rasberry smell. Nice thick red apperance with great head retention. my first beer in the style, but I honestly don't think it could be any better than this. Strong rasberry flavor. Tastes champagne fruitesc. Reminds me sort of the stuff my mom gave me as a kid with no alcohol so i could feeel ike part of the group when they had champage on new years.

Great crisp carbonation, like I said I could drink these forever. Too bad they are six dollars for a 12 oz. bottle. However, it was worth it.

This is a beer that the girls and guys can both enjoy. The non beer drinker will also appreciate this beer. It was worth the six dollars.

jasonjlewis, Aug 10, 2006